The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #101
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: The Xbox One - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
I'm looking to upgrade from a XB1S to a XB1X in a few weeks time... and upgrading from a 39 inch HDTV to a 4K HDR screen that could be bigger (looking at about 50 inch atm). just literally waiting on some bloody red tape ******** to get done before i can throw the switch.
Will be a great upgrade then! Hope all goes well and enjoy once it's all set up.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #102
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Hey dude, great news! Sorry, saw your PM but my box is full and I need to delete a load of old reference PMs.

Glad you liked it so far. I haven't actually played many new different games over the year that I've had the X . Have been focusing on Gears 4 which looks great with the upgrade (and I get to compare it to the S version regularly as that is set up in my bedroom) and been very busy otherwise.

Good luck with the console! What are you planning on playing?
thanks, Iceman. I really hope it works out this time. I really do feel more at home on the Xbox than on PlayStation.

For now, I'm planning on playing Diablo III, Skyrim, WWE 2K18, and Dragon Age Origins. But I also have a ton of digital games from all those prior instances, including Forza Horizon 3, Gears 1-4, Halo MCC, Killer Instinct, and Tomb Raider 1.

Also, I really want to finally play Ori and Blind Forest. heard so much good about that game, and the sequel looks amazing.

so that should be enough to keep me occupied.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #103
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
thanks, Iceman. I really hope it works out this time. I really do feel more at home on the Xbox than on PlayStation.

For now, I'm planning on playing Diablo III, Skyrim, WWE 2K18, and Dragon Age Origins. But I also have a ton of digital games from all those prior instances, including Forza Horizon 3, Gears 1-4, Halo MCC, Killer Instinct, and Tomb Raider 1.

Also, I really want to finally play Ori and Blind Forest. heard so much good about that game, and the sequel looks amazing.

so that should be enough to keep me occupied.
Cool. Let me know for any co-op/multiplayer you want help with.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #104
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Cool. Let me know for any co-op/multiplayer you want help with.
sure. thanks. hopefully when Soul Calibur VI comes out in the Fall, we can play some matches together.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #105
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
sure. thanks. hopefully when Soul Calibur VI comes out in the Fall, we can play some matches together.
Sounds great.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #106
X Knight
Hope

ok, just did a quick comparison of X vs Pro for Diablo III.

I remember last year when I compared the S vs Pro and there were noticeable differences between the 2. The S version looked like it had a "layer" of blur over the character models, while the Pro version just overall looked sharper and crisper.

So, how does the X version compare?

I'd say the X version is now on par with the Pro version. that layer of blur is gone on the character select screen and everything looks sharp and crisp and vibrant. Maybe the X looks slightly better texture, but it's really hard to tell much of a difference.

So, going from the S to the Pro or X - there's a noticeable difference. Going from the Pro to X? Not much difference in terms of visuals.

Now, one difference that was more noticeable was how loud my Pro was just running the game at the opening level. I could definitely hear my Pro over the X. So, in that regards, the X has the advantage.

I plan to compare Skyrim next over the weekend.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #107
Iceman
Infinity War!

Ah good to know.

I guess the loudness of one system or another doesn't bother me too much, even the airplane taking off 360 lol.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #108
X Knight
Hope

I don't mind normal fan noise, as I expect that.

but I do mind when it becomes distractingly loud, like my Pro sounding like a jet engine ( on quite a few games it seems ) or sounds abnormal ( like my last X1S ticking fan sound ).

speaking of noise, I did another quick X/Pro test. this time with WWE 2k18.

I was curious about this game, not so much for any visual differences ( which my tired, blurry eyes couldn't detect ) but more so for noise level performance. WWE 2K18 was one of the biggest noise offenders on my Pro. Just being on the title screen, not even playing a match, would cause the fan to kick into jet engine mode. And it would be loud during matches or in Create A Wrestler.

So how does it sound on the X?

Thankfully, based on my quick initial test, I can report it's much quieter, both on the title screen and during a single player match. Yes, you can hear the fans kick in slightly louder than normal, but it's nowhere near as distractingly loud as jet engine Pro.

I'll check out Create mode and a more intensive multi man match later on. but so far, again, the X is quieter than the Pro. which makes for a more enjoyable playing experience for me ( and another reason why I wanted to switch to the X ).

and btw...….WWE 2k18 IS listed on my X as an X Enhanced title, and I'm assuming I downloaded the X update patch for it when I installed the game last night.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #109
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
I don't mind normal fan noise, as I expect that.

but I do mind when it becomes distractingly loud, like my Pro sounding like a jet engine ( on quite a few games it seems ) or sounds abnormal ( like my last X1S ticking fan sound ).

speaking of noise, I did another quick X/Pro test. this time with WWE 2k18.

I was curious about this game, not so much for any visual differences ( which my tired, blurry eyes couldn't detect ) but more so for noise level performance. WWE 2K18 was one of the biggest noise offenders on my Pro. Just being on the title screen, not even playing a match, would cause the fan to kick into jet engine mode. And it would be loud during matches or in Create A Wrestler.

So how does it sound on the X?

Thankfully, based on my quick initial test, I can report it's much quieter, both on the title screen and during a single player match. Yes, you can hear the fans kick in slightly louder than normal, but it's nowhere near as distractingly loud as jet engine Pro.

I'll check out Create mode and a more intensive multi man match later on. but so far, again, the X is quieter than the Pro. which makes for a more enjoyable playing experience for me ( and another reason why I wanted to switch to the X ).

and btw...….WWE 2k18 IS listed on my X as an X Enhanced title, and I'm assuming I downloaded the X update patch for it when I installed the game last night.
Good to know.

Have you found any downsides or faults yet that might make you return again?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #110
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Good to know.

Have you found any downsides or faults yet that might make you return again?
just 2 real minor quibbles so far.

One, it seems like the X still can't play 4K video files from a USB stick through any of the various Media Player apps that I've tried. However, this isn't a big deal to me anymore because I honestly haven't downloaded much of any video file since last fall. Let alone 4K video files, which take much longer to download with larger file sizes. Since I have so-so internet speed and a data cap, downloading 4K files isn't a priority anymore.

Also, and a slightly more concerning issue, is that I notice a slight "burnt plastic/electrical" smell when using the X. Some say this is just like a new car smell and will go away in time. So, I'm going to keep an eye ( or nose ) on that and see if it goes away. It doesn't seem to be as noticeable now as it was a few days ago, though.

However, these issues aren't enough to warrant a return. If the smell persists and becomes a more serious issue, then I will enforce my warranty and get it exchanged.

Regardless, this time I'm sticking with the Xbox and not jumping ship again. I like the Xbox and prefer the Xbox and want to stay with the Xbox.

And besides, with the X, so far, everything has been faster and smoother. Downloads, updates, and installs seem to go by faster now. The packed in controller has no issues. And so far no network connection issues.

So, so far so good, other than the 2 issues I detailed above.

Last edited by X Knight; 07-22-2018 at 12:42 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #111
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
just 2 real minor quibbles so far.

One, it seems like the X still can't play 4K video files from a USB stick through any of the various Media Player apps that I've tried. However, this isn't a big deal to me anymore because I honestly haven't downloaded much of any video file since last fall. Let alone 4K video files, which take much longer to download with larger file sizes. Since I have so-so internet speed and a data cap, downloading 4K files isn't a priority anymore.

Also, and a slightly more concerning issue, is that I notice a slight "burnt plastic/electrical" smell when using the X. Some say this is just like a new car smell and will go away in time. So, I'm going to keep an eye ( or nose ) on that and see if it goes away. It doesn't seem to be as noticeable now as it was a few days ago, though.

However, these issues aren't enough to warrant a return. If the smell persists and becomes a more serious issue, then I will enforce my warranty and get it exchanged.

Regardless, this time I'm sticking with the Xbox and not jumping ship again. I like the Xbox and prefer the Xbox and want to stay with the Xbox.

And besides, with the X, so far, everything has been faster and smoother. Downloads, updates, and installs seem to go by faster now. The packed in controller has no issues. And so far no network connection issues.

So, so far so good, other than the 2 issues I detailed above.
That's a point. How did you used to download large 4K files with your crap internet? Or did you just choose smaller ones?

Hmm, my sense of smell is terrible so I might have missed that even if it was there.

Good to hear. You're entitled to an exchange for anything like that if it persists.

And the downloading/installing is much better on X than on S for you? Great. I remember that was a big deal for you before. It's an issue I've never had. Have downloaded 300 games (that I already historically owned) in one day before when I got a new bigger hard drive.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #112
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
That's a point. How did you used to download large 4K files with your crap internet? Or did you just choose smaller ones?

Hmm, my sense of smell is terrible so I might have missed that even if it was there.

Good to hear. You're entitled to an exchange for anything like that if it persists.

And the downloading/installing is much better on X than on S for you? Great. I remember that was a big deal for you before. It's an issue I've never had. Have downloaded 300 games (that I already historically owned) in one day before when I got a new bigger hard drive.
well, the 4K video files I used to download were mainly movie/game trailers or analysis vids from Digital Foundry and the like. So, they weren't too big - probably around 1GB or more. And those usually took around 20-30 minutes to download, or longer depending on size and connection.

Not like I was downloading full 4K movies or anything.

But, compare that to a regular 1080p version of the video, which is only about 20MB or 50MB or whatever, and takes a few minutes to download. Especially when I couldn't tell much of a difference in quality.

So not really worth the fuss.

And yeah, the download/update/install process does seem to be faster and more efficient to me, especially compared to what it was a few years back. Don't know if it's due to the X hardware, or if MS did something to the backend in the new dashboard. But there does seem to be improvement in that area.

Just wish MS wouldn't keep changing the layout of the Dashboard, though.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #113
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
well, the 4K video files I used to download were mainly movie/game trailers or analysis vids from Digital Foundry and the like. So, they weren't too big - probably around 1GB or more. And those usually took around 20-30 minutes to download, or longer depending on size and connection.

Not like I was downloading full 4K movies or anything.

But, compare that to a regular 1080p version of the video, which is only about 20MB or 50MB or whatever, and takes a few minutes to download. Especially when I couldn't tell much of a difference in quality.

So not really worth the fuss.

And yeah, the download/update/install process does seem to be faster and more efficient to me, especially compared to what it was a few years back. Don't know if it's due to the X hardware, or if MS did something to the backend in the new dashboard. But there does seem to be improvement in that area.

Just wish MS wouldn't keep changing the layout of the Dashboard, though.
Half an hour for 1GB!

Glad it's improved for you. And I agree, as soon as you get comfortable with knowing where everything is they change it. Pretty dumb, especially as it was fine before.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #114
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Half an hour for 1GB!

Glad it's improved for you. And I agree, as soon as you get comfortable with knowing where everything is they change it. Pretty dumb, especially as it was fine before.
well, my internet speed is only like 12mbps.

and yeah, it would be nice if they gave you the option to select your Dashboard theme/layout. so you could choose the one that you prefer.

but that's perhaps too complicated on the backend.

and speaking of updates, this may sound like a dumb question. but how can I tell I have indeed installed an X patch for a game? I'm assuming that if a game is listed as X Enhanced, and I've downloaded the latest update, then that means I've installed the X Enhanced patch?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #115
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
well, my internet speed is only like 12mbps.

and yeah, it would be nice if they gave you the option to select your Dashboard theme/layout. so you could choose the one that you prefer.

but that's perhaps too complicated on the backend.

and speaking of updates, this may sound like a dumb question. but how can I tell I have indeed installed an X patch for a game? I'm assuming that if a game is listed as X Enhanced, and I've downloaded the latest update, then that means I've installed the X Enhanced patch?
As far as I know yes.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #116
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
As far as I know yes.
thanks.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:17 AM   #117
zenith16
Side-Kick

Xbox Next
Rumor: Next-gen Xbox consists of traditional and streaming devices due out in 2020
Published 13 hours ago. 289 comments.

Quote:
Reportedly code-named Scarlett.

The next generation Microsoft console is a family of devices code-named Scarlett that consists of a traditional local console and a streaming box due out in 2020, according to Thurrott, which has published accurate information about Microsoft’s inner workings in the past.

While the traditional console is said to be in the early days of development, Thurrott had a lot more to report on the streaming box, which is said to work with Microsoft’s upcoming game streaming platform.

Scarlett Cloud, as one of Thurrott’s sources referred to it, is a lower-powered, game-streaming device reported to be shipping alongside the traditional console. It is said to have a limited amount of local compute for tasks such as controller input, image processing, and collision detection. A “splice” or “slice” of the game will run locally, and Microsoft’s cloud will “stitch” it together with the game running on the server side. While this means more hardware is needed locally, which will raise the price of the device, it will still cost “significantly less” than what a new console would traditionally cost.
Thurrott reported that Microsoft’s end goal is to enable access to “Xbox” from any device at any time, as the company’s cloud platform has data centers in every major market of the world.

One source of the website noted that Microsoft’s plans may even reduce latency in all aspects of a game, as if a multiplayer game using Microsoft Azure as its central server, Scarlett Cloud will be closer physically to the multiplayer server, which results in less latency.

The website noted that all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices, meaning there will not be any game that runs on the traditional Scarlett console that does not run on the streaming box, and vice-versa.

source: Gematsu

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #118
X Knight
Hope

I have no interest in a streaming/digital only box. so I hope that MS does indeed come out with a traditional box for next gen. Physical still wins out for me.

whatever shape the next gen Xbox takes, I do hope MS will continue the BC across Xbox generations. Next gen should be BC with ALL Xbox 1 games right away in addition to all the X360 and OG Xbox BC games available now.

Cuz I'm really enjoying playing through Dragon Age Origins again on my X. I'm once again reminded why I fell in love with the game almost a decade ago and why it remains one of my favorite games ever. And I still like it over the follow-ups DA2 and DAI. And, it's a shame how Bioware has since "fallen" imo.

but I'm able to enjoy DAO again due to BC on the Xbox. so, I hope that continues with the future Xbox. If that happens, I'll most likely continue to stay with MS and Xbox over PlayStation.

also, I hope the next Xbox continues to be a solid all-in-one media machine. Sure, I don't want MS to make the same mistake as they did when launching the X1 to focus more on other aspects besides gaming. But I hope they don't just take a step back in terms of media functionality the way the PS4 feels like in relation to the PS3.

Last edited by X Knight; 07-29-2018 at 11:09 AM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:35 AM   #119
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
I have no interest in a streaming/digital only box. so I hope that MS does indeed come out with a traditional box for next gen. Physical still wins out for me.

whatever shape the next gen Xbox takes, I do hope MS will continue the BC across Xbox generations. Next gen should be BC with ALL Xbox 1 games right away in addition to all the X360 and OG Xbox BC games available now.

Cuz I'm really enjoying playing through Dragon Age Origins again on my X. I'm once again reminded why I fell in love with the game almost a decade ago and why it remains one of my favorite games ever. And I still like it over the follow-ups DA2 and DAI. And, it's a shame how Bioware has since "fallen" imo.

but I'm able to enjoy DAO again due to BC on the Xbox. so, I hope that continues with the future Xbox. If that happens, I'll most likely continue to stay with MS and Xbox over PlayStation.

also, I hope the next Xbox continues to be a solid all-in-one media machine. Sure, I don't want MS to make the same mistake as they did when launching the X1 to focus more on other aspects besides gaming. But I hope they don't just take a step back in terms of media functionality the way the PS4 feels like in relation to the PS3.
Yeah, they will definitely come out with a traditional console too as too many of their customers will just want that. The streaming and being able to play anywhere just seems like a bonus on top of that.

Glad you’re enjoying DAO. I get the feeling Bioware will have a return to form with Anthem, but I would have rather they just took Mass Effect and Dragon Age back to the top.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #120
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Yeah, they will definitely come out with a traditional console too as too many of their customers will just want that. The streaming and being able to play anywhere just seems like a bonus on top of that.

Glad you’re enjoying DAO. I get the feeling Bioware will have a return to form with Anthem, but I would have rather they just took Mass Effect and Dragon Age back to the top.
Too bad Anthem isn't a traditional single player story experience like ME and DA. But it still has my interest nonetheless. Hopefully we will see another Dragon Age game before this gen is up.

anyways, it's past the 2 week mark since getting my X and so far so good. I'm glad I made the jump. Loving it so far. lol

Old 08-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #121
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Too bad Anthem isn't a traditional single player story experience like ME and DA. But it still has my interest nonetheless. Hopefully we will see another Dragon Age game before this gen is up.

anyways, it's past the 2 week mark since getting my X and so far so good. I'm glad I made the jump. Loving it so far. lol
Great to hear! It had to happen one day. You finally keep Xbox console no. 10!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #122
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Great to hear! It had to happen one day. You finally keep Xbox console no. 10!
ha!! it probably is close to console no. 10......lol. prob more like console #6 or 7. but so far so good. so hopefully this is finally the keeper.

anyways, been playing through Diablo 3. and though I've played the opening level many times across the years, and across multiple platforms, I find myself noticing small, finer details, color details, etc., that I hadn't noticed before. Again, don't know if it's a placebo effect or actually due to the X's power, but it's an interesting observation I thought you'd might like to hear about.

also, finally got a chance to try Ori and Blind Forest. Man, what a gorgeous looking game, not to mention a very emotional opening that hit home for me.

Forza Horizon 3 is also super fun. Not much of a racer fan, but I enjoy driving around the world of FH3 and so I'm looking forward to FH4.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #123
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade from a XB1S to a XB1X in a few weeks time... and upgrading from a 39 inch HDTV to a 4K HDR screen that could be bigger (looking at about 50 inch atm). just literally waiting on some bloody red tape ******** to get done before i can throw the switch.
hey, did you ever make the upgrade?

I say going from S to X is a worth it upgrade, and you'll need a 4K HDR screen to get the full benefit of the X.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #124
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Quote:
hey, did you ever make the upgrade?

I say going from S to X is a worth it upgrade, and you'll need a 4K HDR screen to get the full benefit of the X.
Eventually. was getting money back from the government that they owed me... so it too a while LOL.

Bought a Sony Bravia 55" 4K HDR TV and a XB1X the day the money came in. Absolutely glorious pairing.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #125
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Eventually. was getting money back from the government that they owed me... so it too a while LOL.

Bought a Sony Bravia 55" 4K HDR TV and a XB1X the day the money came in. Absolutely glorious pairing.
awesome!! glad you like your new X and 4K tv combo!