The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #576
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 11,252
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I was going to bring up AM&W's BO but the first AM only made $89M, it's less but it's not huge.
AM&W looks worse than it is because the release dates were so staggered. It still hasn't opened in several markets. Domestically it improved over Ant-Man.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #577
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 30,141
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
They made this award specifically so they wouldn't have to nominate genre films, or at least less of them. Also to drive ratings. It's a BS award. Films should either be a BP film or not. Making a sub category like this is making those type of films second class citizens. You're saying they are not the REAL best movies. It's utter crap.
I agree. Well, I don't know if they cautiously see it as a way of putting genre films in a box, but that's what they're doing. The goal is supposedly better ratings, but Academy voters will take it as an excuse to not even consider "one one those movies." The irony being this increases the divide between "popular" movies and "Oscar" movies when there shouldn't be a distinction. Once upon a time, Hollywood blockbusters of superb quality were able to win the biggest awards, and now Hollywood is literally dividing them in lanes, so the result will be never shall the two meet.

This in turn just marginalizes their own movies even more. Plus, in any given year are their five genre movies really worth pandering to or are we going to get crap stuffed in the participation trophy category? Think about it: Black Panther (cool), Mission: Impossible (sure), Ready Player One (.... I guess), Deadpool 2 (really?), and Ant-Man and the Wasp (surely, you must be joking).

It just is a mess.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #578
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 30,141
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4000 View Post
Oh and Call me by your Name, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Phantom Thread had such a genre-Impact? They are "just" well made Biopics etc.
The only one of those that is a biopic is Hacksaw Ridge so...

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #579
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 30,141
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
In other news the Dark Phoenix 3 months reshoots rumor is fake

Still will probably be bad, but the reshoot length is false according to Collider
Called it. Still probably won't work, but that seemed impossible with the February release and the fact that supposedly the reshoots don't start until November, or at least late October.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:09 AM   #580
Timebomb
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,529
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Can somebody stop Sony from making decisions on their live action spiderless spiderverse?

Timebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:11 AM   #581
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 31,600
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

For anyone who read Sony's leaked Power Point presentations during the hack, these decisions make total sense.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #582
jmc
away for a while
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Down Under
Posts: 32,064
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Yeah, this nonsense is no surprise coming from Sony.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:46 AM   #583
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 34,368
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

What is weird is that Sony already stuck a deal with Valiant comics to make movies with their characters.

Vin Diesel's Bloodshot is currently shooting in South Africa.

I guess Sony is desperate for more big franchises which is why they want a Spidey side characters and Valiant cinematic universe. They have already talked about crossover sequels with the valiant properties

__________________
All aboard the Pork Chop Express!
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:47 AM   #584
m1ll3r
Failed experiment
 
m1ll3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: London. Probably in Soho trying to avoid hipsters.
Posts: 5,678
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
There seems to be bad superhero movie fatigue. Hence, Infinity War, Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Deadpool, etc. making a lot of money and Apocalypse and Justice League not doing so.
Quite right. Superhero films have been around so long now that the audience has learned to discern the good from the bad. You can't just pump out a movie with a superhero anymore and expect a good return.

This is why every single one of the Sony superhero movies from now on will fail dismally.

And WB had better hope that Wan has delivered a bloody classic...

__________________
"Sometimes, people deserve to have their faith rewarded."

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.5/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 7.5/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6/10, A Quiet Place - 8/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout - 9/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #585
m1ll3r
Failed experiment
 
m1ll3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: London. Probably in Soho trying to avoid hipsters.
Posts: 5,678
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Yeah, this nonsense is no surprise coming from Sony.
It's absolutely representative of how dumb 90% of Hollywood is. Just a parade of clown shoe wearing morons, who have no idea what they're doing.

They all so desperately want to copy Marvel's success that they'll keep putting out terrible movies, and creating terrible plans for terrible cinematic universes that no-one will end up liking, because every movie is designed to exclusively drive the terrible cinematic universe forward, instead of being a decent, self contained film.

Pathetic on more levels than I can comprehend.

__________________
"Sometimes, people deserve to have their faith rewarded."

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.5/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 7.5/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6/10, A Quiet Place - 8/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout - 9/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #586
honestbharani
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,563
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
It was actually Disney that pushed for it so I think it's more of Disney wanting to be able to say they have a "best picture" winner along with boosting ratings
The whole thing is dumb
Black Panther, or TDK, or Logan or Wonder Woman or whatever will have long lasting effects and influence without an Oscar
Its not really Disney though. ABC, as its own network, may have wanted the Academy to create a popular category so that their ratings can improve. Not everything has to be a conspiracy. Of course, if this enables a Disney movie win an Oscar, then so much the better. But I highly doubt that is the reason to make a change that may last years and even decades.

__________________
One of the worst horror films ever made? "Sin Reaper" has to be in the running.
honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #587
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,542
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
For anyone who read Sony's leaked Power Point presentations during the hack, these decisions make total sense.
It’s weird you say that because I was just clearing out my laptop and found an old Sony PowerPoint from 2010. I deleted it before I realized what it was because I was just in a delete-frenzy by that point, but what did these power points say exactly?

__________________
Quote:
"Kevin Fiege built this in a cave! With a box of scraps!."
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #588
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 10,513
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

I think that a Black Cat film is a great idea.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #589
Deck Rickard
Turd in the Wind
 
Deck Rickard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Everywhere and nowhere
Posts: 2,639
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
Quite right. Superhero films have been around so long now that the audience has learned to discern the good from the bad. You can't just pump out a movie with a superhero anymore and expect a good return.

This is why every single one of the Sony superhero movies from now on will fail dismally.

And WB had better hope that Wan has delivered a bloody classic...
Yeah, exactly. People have been talking about "superhero movie fatigue" since The Dark Knight and Iron Man came out in the same summer. As long as studios keep pumping out quality products, people will go see them. Now, it's possible that some good superhero films could underperform (and some bad ones can turn a profit) but those are outliers. Until multiple good films start bombing, I would say that the genre is doing just fine.

As for Sony... yeah, building out an expanded universe around a character that you're not using is incredibly idiotic. Though I suppose I'm glad they're not using Spidey because Marvel clearly knows what they're doing with him and Sony would have him teaming up with Superspy Aunt May to go take down Venomcarnagemorbius.

__________________
"The most extraordinary image in any movie this century appears in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice." - Armond White
Deck Rickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #590
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 10,513
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

I think that it's ridiculous to assume that the characters in the Spider Man universe can never be interesting without Spider Man.

Spinoffs are in fact possible.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #591
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker
 
OutOfBoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The City
Posts: 13,185
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

del.

__________________
Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #592
Timebomb
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,529
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

It's just IMO Spiderman is so integral to Venoms character and it's creation and motivation that I just don't know who thought Venom without Spidey was a good idea. Sure it looks like Venom (without the spider sheesh) and talks like him but is it really Venom? To me it's just Hardy Sym-b-oat.

Timebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #593
Chip Chipperson
None of this matters.
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 15,730
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I think that it's ridiculous to assume that the characters in the Spider Man universe can never be interesting without Spider Man.

Spinoffs are in fact possible.
Theoretically, sure.

But if Sony’s the one making those films, brace for impact

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #594
Ryuzakirir
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 110
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
Its not really Disney though. ABC, as its own network, may have wanted the Academy to create a popular category so that their ratings can improve. Not everything has to be a conspiracy. Of course, if this enables a Disney movie win an Oscar, then so much the better. But I highly doubt that is the reason to make a change that may last years and even decades.
It's not some conspiracy theory..

Someone needs to read news more often.

Ryuzakirir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #595
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,542
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I think that it's ridiculous to assume that the characters in the Spider Man universe can never be interesting without Spider Man.

Spinoffs are in fact possible.
I think it’s safe to say that they’re inherently less interesting without Spider-man. He’s arguably the most popular superhero on the planet and while he does have an impressive roster of villains and supporting characters they’re all nothing compared to him.

__________________
Quote:
"Kevin Fiege built this in a cave! With a box of scraps!."
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #596
honestbharani
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,563
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuzakirir View Post
It's not some conspiracy theory..

Someone needs to read news more often.

And someone needs to read posts they are responding to, more often.

__________________
One of the worst horror films ever made? "Sin Reaper" has to be in the running.
honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #597
m1ll3r
Failed experiment
 
m1ll3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: London. Probably in Soho trying to avoid hipsters.
Posts: 5,678
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I think it’s safe to say that they’re inherently less interesting without Spider-man. He’s arguably the most popular superhero on the planet and while he does have an impressive roster of villains and supporting characters they’re all nothing compared to him.
Second

But the same argument can be made for the stupidity of making movies about Spider-man’s supporting characters, as can be made for Batman’s.

These characters are only popular because they are related and connected to Spider-man and Batman.

And the only reason these movies are going forward is because the studio either can’t use, or doesn’t know how to use, the main characters that everybody loves.

__________________
"Sometimes, people deserve to have their faith rewarded."

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.5/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 7.5/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6/10, A Quiet Place - 8/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout - 9/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #598
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 73,276
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I think it’s safe to say that they’re inherently less interesting without Spider-man. He’s arguably the most popular superhero on the planet and while he does have an impressive roster of villains and supporting characters they’re all nothing compared to him.
I'll believe that if sales for his game outdo Arkham Knight, and ticket sales for his upcoming movie fly over $950 million.

__________________
FIGHT CLUB: Marvel vs DC, ANYTHING
STATE YOUR OPINION ON A CHARACTER: MARVEL, DC

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #599
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 49,358
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I think that it's ridiculous to assume that the characters in the Spider Man universe can never be interesting without Spider Man.

Spinoffs are in fact possible.
I don't think Venom is interesting even with Spider-Man around.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #600
Shinobi Shaw
The Black King of THC
 
Shinobi Shaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 536
Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I think that a Black Cat film is a great idea.
It could be a very empowering film if they handled it the right way. Especially in this climate of sexual harassment/violence against women and the #metoo movement.

But with Sony at the helm, they’d only be interested in pushing the toys.

Shinobi Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.