The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #26
psylockolussus
Fierce User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion
Posts: 34,037
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Yes please. Less filler and possibly less dragging. I also liked how I got to finish The Defenders in 1 day! The other five seasons felt like a choir to finish.

__________________
X - W O M E N
Dazzler • Jubilee • Phoenix • Polaris • Psylocke • Rogue • Shadowcat • Storm • White Queen
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #27
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 8,343
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Absolutely not. Shortening the season to 8 episodes was the most contrproductive decision they made. It basically made us focus on the main plot, which, was not well written. The side plots in the other shows helped to deepen the world

__________________
The First Family is home again. I bend the knee to our mouse-eared overlords!
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #28
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,232
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

I wish it was 10 episodes. 8 kinda felt rushed.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #29
kguillou
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 12,156
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Lol, this is so ironic. One of the main complaints levied at these Marvel Netflix shows was that 13 episodes was too much and now 8 episodes wasn't enough. lol

Perhaps 10 is the magic number? lol

__________________
2018 TOP FILMS

1) AVENGERS: Infinity War 2) The BLACK PANTHER 3) Mission Impossible: Fallout 4) Pacific Rim: Uprising 5) X-Men: Dark Phoenix
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #30
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 7,697
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Punisher's gonna come around and 6 will be the magic number.
Defenders definitely could have told its story in 6.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #31
writer0327
Side-Kick
 
writer0327's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,933
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

I think 10 is the magic number.

I felt the same way after Stranger Things, which was also 8 episodes. It felt short and truncated. There was more they could have done when it came to the Hand IMO; their story suffered due to the lack of episodes. Just to get into their stories more, make them feel more menacing, whatever. They could have showed a lot more of their effect on NYC as a whole, made the whole ending feel more epic and crucial to the overall motivation for the heroes. There was a missed opportunity.

13 has always felt a bit too long just because there's always a lot of filler episodes that drag. 10 episodes works for GoT, Westworld, Handsmaid's Tale, Rick & Marty, and I believe the new X-Files. It would work well for the Marvel Netflix series.

__________________
My Top Movies for 2018

1. Avengers: Infinity War - 2. Mortal Engines - 3. Ant-Man and the Wasp - 4. Black Panther - 5. Solo
6. Incredibles 2 - 7. Aquaman - 8. Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald - 9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix - 10. Ready Player One
writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:40 AM   #32
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,981
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Defenders could've been 6
Or hell just make it a straight to Netflix movie.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:58 AM   #33
psylockolussus
Fierce User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion
Posts: 34,037
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

To me, 8 episodes is perfect amount. Left me wanting for more and it is something I could go back again and again and not worry how many dragging episodes should I finish before I get to the finale.

__________________
X - W O M E N
Dazzler • Jubilee • Phoenix • Polaris • Psylocke • Rogue • Shadowcat • Storm • White Queen
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #34
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 8,343
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

If that show proved anything than that 8 episodes do not work as it was not nearly enough to create an egaging world. I always thought that was a stupid idea. 10-13 episodes is fine, no need to shorten that at the cost of good storytelling

__________________
The First Family is home again. I bend the knee to our mouse-eared overlords!
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #35
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,981
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
If that show proved anything than that 8 episodes do not work as it was not nearly enough to create an egaging world. I always thought that was a stupid idea. 10-13 episodes is fine, no need to shorten that at the cost of good storytelling
I haven't read your review so I'm not sure but how did they any of the bad storytelling have to do with the lack of episodes.

If anything they wasted too much of the episodes by focusing on the side characters and having the Defenders not meet up until near the end of episode 3. They should've met up by the end of episode 1

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #36
Flint Marko
Side-Kick
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,286
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

I just finished up the second episode and I'm enjoying the slow burn. They're clearly taking their time getting all the pieces in place.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Lee
Now characters such as the X-Men and the Fantastic Four can come home to the place where they belong. It’s vitally important to have the Marvel characters under one roof. And now, as great as they were before, I can’t wait to see the wonders that will unfold!
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #37
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie
 
Leo Zelinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: 1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560
Posts: 4,138
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Go back to 13

__________________
The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.
Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #38
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 8,343
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
. They should've met up by the end of episode 1
why? the show has to assume that not every viewer has seen all of the previous shows and is instantly familiar with the characters, so taking the time to reintroduce them and their universes was absolutely necessary. by episode 2 the characters already teamed up in pairs and the team got together in episode 3. that's a reasonable length for a show like that that also juggled side characters and villains.

but the few episodes that were left were clearly not enough to flesh out the villains, didn't gave the supporting cast much to do and basically cut out, what made the other shows so great: the side plots. instead we were treated with a very simple plot structure and a main plot that didn't make a lot of sense once you start thinking about it. there's were side plots would have helped (taking the focus from the main story a couple of scenes each episodes so that it doesn't get too obvious too quick how nonsensical it is)

some of the best scenes in Defenders were when the supporting charactes of the solo shows mixed up and got to talk to each other, but since there was simply no time for that, those scenes unfortunatley were short and underwritten. and again, made it very obvious how by the numbers those scenes were from a screenwriting point of view ("okay, so we have one scene were Trish talks to Karen in that episode and we put a scene with Coleen and Misty there and then we have Foggy talk to... and so on") If they had spread it out a little or had given them more to do those fanservice scenes would've had a better, more natural flow.

The same goes for the villains and their motivations. The fingers were... just there. We learned about there existence, we saw them, but what do we know about them other than what was needed to tell a very spefic plot? They had almost no character, except what was given them in earlier shows for those two that we have met before. Therefore the whole threat of the Fingers fell extremely flat. When there's no way to care about them, why should you? (The fact that they also posed no physical threat and that their plan made not much sense didn't help either, but again, with a little more time and little less rush to the great finale, those are things that could've been worked around)

Almost every flaw in the series is a direct result of an episode count that was clearly too low for the story they were trying to tell at a quality we were used to before (except Luke Cage)

__________________
The First Family is home again. I bend the knee to our mouse-eared overlords!
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #39
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,232
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

The regular shows should be 8-10 episodes.

The Defenders should have been 10. Or 13 if they decided to add even more to it.

I was annoyed several episodes was 45minutes. what a ripoff

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #40
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,981
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
why? the show has to assume that not every viewer has seen all of the previous shows and is instantly familiar with the characters, so taking the time to reintroduce them and their universes was absolutely necessary. by episode 2 the characters already teamed up in pairs and the team got together in episode 3. that's a reasonable length for a show like that that also juggled side characters and villains.
I never understood this. Listen, The Defenders is the continuation of a story. Why do people expect stuff to be catered to them if they're coming in on pt 2, 3, 4 of a story? It's like when I read complaints about the Harry Potter series after part 4 you needed to watch/read the previous parts to understand what was happening. Yeah no s*** youre in part 5 of a serialized story
And then even then there's so much stuff (Karen/Foggy and Matt, JJ and Kilgrave, Cage and Claire/Misty) that was glossed over so quickly that if you hadn't seen the previous shows you might still be confused

We came to see The Defenders. Give us the Defenders. They meet up almost half way through the season. You wouldn't wait for The X-Men, JL, or Avengers to meet up almost half way through their movies why is this different?


Or even if we're breaking the season down into tradition 3 acts. They shouldve met up in the 2nd episode

And even then they could've caught people up within an episode or even 2


Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
but the few episodes that were left were clearly not enough to flesh out the villains, didn't gave the supporting cast much to do and basically cut out, what made the other shows so great: the side plots. instead we were treated with a very simple plot structure and a main plot that didn't make a lot of sense once you start thinking about it. there's were side plots would have helped (taking the focus from the main story a couple of scenes each episodes so that it doesn't get too obvious too quick how nonsensical it is)

some of the best scenes in Defenders were when the supporting charactes of the solo shows mixed up and got to talk to each other, but since there was simply no time for that, those scenes unfortunatley were short and underwritten. and again, made it very obvious how by the numbers those scenes were from a screenwriting point of view ("okay, so we have one scene were Trish talks to Karen in that episode and we put a scene with Coleen and Misty there and then we have Foggy talk to... and so on") If they had spread it out a little or had given them more to do those fanservice scenes would've had a better, more natural flow.
I disagree here they gave supporting cast enough to do. In fact too much. I didn't care about Colleen's whole thing. Or all the scenes they had with the supporting cast interacting it took from screentime they could've used on villains or more importantly the Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
The same goes for the villains and their motivations. The fingers were... just there. We learned about there existence, we saw them, but what do we know about them other than what was needed to tell a very spefic plot? They had almost no character, except what was given them in earlier shows for those two that we have met before. Therefore the whole threat of the Fingers fell extremely flat. When there's no way to care about them, why should you? (The fact that they also posed no physical threat and that their plan made not much sense didn't help either, but again, with a little more time and little less rush to the great finale, those are things that could've been worked around)


Almost every flaw in the series is a direct result of an episode count that was clearly too low for the story they were trying to tell at a quality we were used to before (except Luke Cage)
I agree about the villains but I don't think that's because of the episode count. I think it's because they wasted time on the supporting characters and waiting for The Defenders to team up. The episode count was fine imo, the way they used it wasn't


Last edited by Blackman; 08-19-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #41
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 8,343
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I never understood this. Listen, The Defenders is the continuation of a story. Why do people expect stuff to be catered to them if they're coming in on pt 2, 3, 4 of a story? It's like when I read complaints about the Harry Potter series after part 4 you needed to watch/read the previous parts to understand what was happening. Yeah no s*** youre in part 5 of a serialized story
And then even then there's so much stuff (Karen/Foggy and Matt, JJ and Kilgrave, Cage and Claire/Misty) that was glossed over so quickly that if you hadn't seen the previous shows you might still be confused

We came to see The Defenders. Give us the Defenders. They meet up almost half way through the season. You wouldn't wait for The X-Men, JL, or Avengers to meet up almost half way through their movies why is this different?


Or even if we're breaking the season down into tradition 3 acts. They shouldve met up in the 2nd episode

And even then they could've caught people up within an episode or even 2




I disagree here they gave supporting cast enough to do. In fact too much. I didn't care about Colleen's whole thing. Or all the scenes they had with the supporting cast interacting it took from screentime they could've used on villains or more importantly the Defenders


I agree about the villains but I don't think that's because of the episode count. I think it's because they wasted time on the supporting characters and waiting for The Defenders to team up. The episode count was fine imo, the way they used it wasn't
I can't say I agree with any of this

__________________
The First Family is home again. I bend the knee to our mouse-eared overlords!
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #42
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 7,697
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
some of the best scenes in Defenders were when the supporting characters of the solo shows mixed up and got to talk to each other, but since there was simply no time for that, those scenes unfortunately were short and underwritten. and again, made it very obvious how by the numbers those scenes were from a screenwriting point of view ("okay, so we have one scene were Trish talks to Karen in that episode and we put a scene with Coleen and Misty there and then we have Foggy talk to... and so on") If they had spread it out a little or had given them more to do those fanservice scenes would've had a better, more natural flow.
eh...
You could divy up additional scenes for those guys, my preference would be more focus on the villains, IF the show didn't spend so much time at another hideout and did some more interesting things at the precinct.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #43
writer0327
Side-Kick
 
writer0327's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,933
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I never understood this. Listen, The Defenders is the continuation of a story. Why do people expect stuff to be catered to them if they're coming in on pt 2, 3, 4 of a story? It's like when I read complaints about the Harry Potter series after part 4 you needed to watch/read the previous parts to understand what was happening. Yeah no s*** youre in part 5 of a serialized story
And then even then there's so much stuff (Karen/Foggy and Matt, JJ and Kilgrave, Cage and Claire/Misty) that was glossed over so quickly that if you hadn't seen the previous shows you might still be confused

We came to see The Defenders. Give us the Defenders. They meet up almost half way through the season. You wouldn't wait for The X-Men, JL, or Avengers to meet up almost half way through their movies why is this different?

I completely agree. When you are doing any type of series where there has been a ton of story, world, and character building, you can't really be expected to walk into the middle of the series and have a working understanding about all that has gone before, especially if the story line is a continuation of previous storylines.

__________________
My Top Movies for 2018

1. Avengers: Infinity War - 2. Mortal Engines - 3. Ant-Man and the Wasp - 4. Black Panther - 5. Solo
6. Incredibles 2 - 7. Aquaman - 8. Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald - 9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix - 10. Ready Player One
writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #44
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Global Moderator
 
kvz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 23,921
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

10 will be better but I actually liked how I was able to finish an entire season in one day. I could never do that with the 13 eps format.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #45
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,981
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
eh...
You could divy up additional scenes for those guys, my preference would be more focus on the villains, IF the show didn't spend so much time at another hideout and did some more interesting things at the precinct.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer0327 View Post
I completely agree. When you are doing any type of series where there has been a ton of story, world, and character building, you can't really be expected to walk into the middle of the series and have a working understanding about all that has gone before, especially if the story line is a continuation of previous storylines.
I know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I can't say I agree with any of this
cool

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #46
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,055
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
Lol, this is so ironic. One of the main complaints levied at these Marvel Netflix shows was that 13 episodes was too much and now 8 episodes wasn't enough. lol

Perhaps 10 is the magic number? lol
Eh, I don't see the irony. Some people think 13 episodes were too much for the individual stories, but that has nothing to do with the team up . Actually I don't think 13 is too much, it's just so far they haven't figured out how to keep the story engaging for 13.

I can kind of see why people think 8 episodes aren't enough for the team up series. I don't agree with that personally. 8 was enough, it's just the story they told in those 8 episodes wasn't all that interesting.

__________________
"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #47
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 23,981
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

Yeah i think it's all in the pacing and script. True Detective and Night Of told phenomenal stories in 8 episodes, Mr Robot was able to in 10, Breaking Bad in 13 for some seasons...of course none of those are superhero team ups, but I still think 8 or 10 or 13 could be great if you have the right story and pacing. Especially story.


Last edited by Blackman; 08-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #48
Mr.T
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 928
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

I think 8 should be the goal. 10 max. Every series could've been shortened by 2-3 episodes.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #49
Drizzle
Fine, I'll D'oh it myself
 
Drizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,659
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

I'm perfectly fine with 8 episodes moving forward. All of the previous Netflix series dragged in places, some worse than others. 13 can be too much sometimes.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #50
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick
 
Mike Murdock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The other Hell's Kitchen
Posts: 9,312
Default Re: Shorten future seasons?

I don't think this is the right comparison. Let's see Iron Fist season two and judge how ten seems. To me, it's case by case. They shouldn't write for a certain number, they should write their story and decide how long it'll take to tell.

__________________
Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.