The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #501
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Default Re: Justice League: News and Speculation

Instead of all this *****ing, groaning, and whining... be thankful that we're getting JUSTICE LEAGUE and THE AVENGERS 2 in the same damn year! Hell, probably the same summer! I'm definitely going to go to Comic-Con for my first time in 2014. It's going to be madness. Madness!

Old 10-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #502
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
It's the train wreck that we deserve but not the one we need right now.
I wont write off this movie until I see who is directing it and who is writing it.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #503
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I wont write off this movie until I see who is directing it and who is writing it.
Well, Will Beall is writing it. Guess we'll have to wait until Gangster Squad to see what he can do.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #504
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

This is looking like a cash grab on the part of WB following in the wake of the success of the Avengers but to be fair to WB JL was in developement before IM (I think).

Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #505
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

So? What if it is a cash grab by the studio after the success of TA? That's most likely what opened the doors for JL, and of course this is a move for money. It's a movie studio, not a charity. I don't give a damn about that, I just want an epically fantastic JL movie... and yes, I think JL was in development before The Avengers.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #506
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
So? What if it is a cash grab by the studio after the success of TA? That's most likely what opened the doors for JL, and of course this is a move for money. It's a movie studio, not a charity. I don't give a damn about that, I just want an epically fantastic JL movie... and yes, I think JL was in development before The Avengers.
I only mention it because the success of JL is based on how it is percieved by the general audience. Do the GA avoid movies if they think it is a shameless cash grab?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #507
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Instead of all this *****ing, groaning, and whining... be thankful that we're getting JUSTICE LEAGUE and THE AVENGERS 2 in the same damn year! Hell, probably the same summer! I'm definitely going to go to Comic-Con for my first time in 2014. It's going to be madness. Madness!
I'm sorry that people have opinions other than yours. Of course any opinion other than yours=*****ing and moaning.

People have other points of view okay. We get that you're excited now move along.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #508
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I only mention it because the success of JL is based on how it is percieved by the general audience. Do the GA avoid movies if they think it is a shameless cash grab?
If the movie looks bad, then yeah the GA normally mostly avoid it. Battleship comes to mind... But if it looks good, then they'll go see it regardless of it being a cash grab. Take the Transformers franchise as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I'm sorry that people have opinions other than yours. Of course any opinion other than yours=*****ing and moaning.

People have other points of view okay. We get that you're excited now move along.
Right, because I honestly need your input on my post. I'm aware of the other points of view on an internet forum, and I'll voice my distaste for them if I feel like doing so. Now, who are you again? You're telling me to move along and we barely even converse? Please, take a break and calm yourself down. You're getting delusional if you think you have a say-so about which posts are permitted in here.
Sorry to burst your lil' bubble, champ.

Now... onto something that actually matters. JL is coming in 2015! I can't ****ing wait!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #509
BH/HHH
You Are My World

I wish people would stop moaning myself, just wait n see if its good then great if not then hey ho that's life.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #510
LauraT
Side-Kick

Quote:
DC are banking on the iconic status of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman (forget the rest they aren't as widely known as those 3) will negate everything Marvel has built up with their separate movie.
When I think about it they may have a point. C'mon, Batman facing off against Superman, that is about as epic as it gets.
I'm an unashamed Marvel guy but even I would be excited to see that.
Well think "negate everything Marvel has built up" is saying an awful lot because we're talking about 11-12 movies by the time JL is released. And relying on "hey its _______ of course people will come!" mentality is how "slamdunk" movies fail every summer.

That said, it's sure to be a large part of the reason people will go see it.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #511
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraT View Post
Well think "negate everything Marvel has built up" is saying an awful lot because we're talking about 11-12 movies by the time JL is released. And relying on "hey its _______ of course people will come!" mentality is how "slamdunk" movies fail every summer.

That said, it's sure to be a large part of the reason people will go see it.
There will be a lot of free good will for Superman and Batman in the same movie but a poor trailer (for example) could piss that good will away.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #512
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
I'd release it in 2017.

Without the individual properties fleshing out the team, the whole thing might fall flat on its face.

Ideally for me, it'd be:

-MAN OF STEEL (June)
-AQUAMAN (December)

-THE FLASH (June)
-WONDER WOMAN (December)

-MAN OF STEEL 2 (July)
-MARTIAN MANHUNTER (December)

-THE GREEN LANTERN (Reboot - June)
-THE CAPED CRUSADER (TDKR follow-up starring JGL - December)

-JUSTICE LEAGUE (July)

The JGL idea won't fly. How are you gonna explain aliens and killer robots in Nolans universe ?

With JGL it would still be the Nolanverse.

And even IF you could pull it off, a JL movie without Bruce Wayne as batman is a federal offense.

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 10-19-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #513
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

I wonder if WB will make two DC movies a year after JL. I doubt it, but it's fun to think about.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #514
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Why do I get the feeling this is going to be the same ensemble trainwreck as the X-Men films, but with Superman and Batman filling the Magneto and Wolverine roles?
Quote:
I'm not talking about that. I just don't want to see the same "Wolverine/Magneto and friends" setup present in almost all the X-Men movies in JL, only with World's Finest filling the Wolverine/Magneto roles.
LOL at the X-Men hate. They were successes in every sense of the word. You didn't like that there were two or three main characters, well welcome to the world of movies, my friend. That's just how it works: you emphasize what works and what puts butts in the seats, i.e. Wolverine and Magneto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
How is this being rushed? They have a script, and the movie's not due in theaters for another three years.
They have a script from a very unproven writer. They maybe have one or two actors cast, but even that is pure speculation at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
The Flash is pretty popular too, from what I can gather. Lord knows I see enough of his shirts walking around. The only real wild card in my opinion is Green Lantern.
You just cannot compare Flash to Bats and Supes. Not even in the same area code.

There's a lot to be concerned about here. If you've been around here long enough you know when a project just smells bad. I'm not saying this is a trainwreck already - that would be insane - but given WB's track record, it's fair to be concerned. They've given us one good franchise in the last 20 years, Marvel has given us four truly excellent ones since the early 2000's (I'm counting Spiderman, X-Men, Iron Man and Avengers).

If MOS is great, that will go a LONG way towards getting the GA to warm up to the idea. We all know Batman well enough, so I think a revitalized Superman + fresh take on Batman could be enough to spark the fire. Make no mistake, those two - and those two ALONE - are what will put butts in the seat. Everyone else will be icing on the cake.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #515
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Seeing as the characters I most want to see is Batman and Superman, if they hog the movie that's just fine with me.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #516
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Seeing as the characters I most want to see is Batman and Superman, if they hog the movie that's just fine with me.
I do believe that Superman/Batman are going to be draw for this and since that is the case, why not just a World's Finest film. Seems like that would meet their ends (shared continuity/team-up) while hedging some fo the risk (supporting characters lacking substance). They could easily expand outward from there.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #517
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
I do believe that Superman/Batman are going to be draw for this and since that is the case, why not just a World's Finest film. Seems like that would meet their ends (shared continuity/team-up) while hedging some fo the risk (supporting characters lacking substance). They could easily expand outward from there.
But then the other characters don't get the exposure of being in a movie with Batman and Superman. If The Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or Aquaman is a badass in a movie everyone will see because the two biggest superheroes of all-time have teamed up, they're more likely to see his solo movies than if you slapped "From the Studio that brought you World's Finest" on the TV spots. And supporting characters lacking substance is a possibility with any movie, this one no more than any other.

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #518
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I went to see Avengers hoping to see Thor and Iron Man but ended up loving the Hulk. If the second tier characters are given interesting things to do then they shine despite the power of Batman and Superman but make no mistake, it's Batman and Superman I am going to this movie to see*

* Unless the movie had Firestorm and then it would be Firestorm who I would be going to seeing as he is my favorite DC character.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #519
JackMercy
Side-Kick

There are two schools of thought here, and one is prevailing...but just to play devil's advocate to Zorex:

If you had recently invested $200+ million in a solo superhero pic heavy on special effects and establishing worlds that didn't perform anywhere close to expectations, how would you feel about gambling an additional $500 mil.+ over the next three-to-five years on a green martian movie (first of all, emphasizing 'green' didn't go well already, and Martians haven't worked out so well recently), an Amazon warrior (bad TV pilot buzz hasn't helped public perception), and a speedster who may be an interesting character, but whose 'talent' really could be duplicated by another red & blue icon. Add to that a lingering audience favoritism and critical reception of a different recent interpretation of the 'winged freak, terrorizing Gotham' and what do you think?

I think one school of thought is prevailing here: why not just go for broke and invest $250 mil. in a superhero bonanza that doesn't really try to 'replicate' Marvel's The Avengers, but rather attempts to combine and reforge already-existing cultural associations with iconic characters, and based on who 'breaks out' a la Hulk, you can build from that...

And in terms of 'borrowing' cast or re-casting, well...it's all about business and public goodwill. I'll just say that...Man of Steel looks great so far!

'There are always...possibilities'

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #520
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling this is going to be the same ensemble trainwreck as the X-Men films, but with Superman and Batman filling the Magneto and Wolverine roles?
Yeah, the first 2 Xmen films were great, and X2 was better than the first. DC should be so lucky if they get a JL movie even close to those two.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #521
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

I'll wait to hear more about this project before jumping for joy or condemning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Superhero burnout is the challenge. Look at 2011 when you had all those superhero origin stories/pseudo-reboots come out. None of them did amazing but luckily (aside from gl) most of their budgets were not that high.

2012 avoided that due to the fact as i mentioned before the avengers and tdkr are so diametrically opposed as films. A2 and Jl seem to cover very similar ground. JL is going to be a very pricey film as well.
"Superhero burnout" is a myth, & 2012 soundly disproves it.

The 2011 superhero BO was entirely down to the fact that they were:
-C-list characters on their first big screen outings (Cap, Thor)
-An entirely new cast with none of the popular characters following poorly recieved/terrible movies (XFC)
-A wholey bland and forgettable film from a lesser known character. (Duh)

Those films going up against actual monolith sized films in Harry Potter 7.2, Transformers 3 & Pirates 4 were always going to be overlooked. The superhero BO for last year is not at all surprising, nor worrying.

The only way SH burnout becomes reality is if the films become continually subpar across the board, but as long as quality is there the genre will live on just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
They already have a script, most probably Cavill will be returning as Superman and Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern.
I doubt we'll see Reynolds anywhere near this.

Swallow flies south before the fall, before the winter can call...
Can call in each borrower - for what was given

--Serenity in Motion--

Last edited by Moridin; 10-19-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #522
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

honestly, i don't know what's to complain about. because we haven't had any after credits scene featuring jl players? even with that, it took whedon time to assemble the avengers on screen, and as we know, the jl is a slightly different animal.

if the film starts out as a world's finest transitioning into a trinity and by the end its full on jl, nobody should complain.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #523
Micromind
Nerd foru m dweller

So, people are moaning because ...

* Jl heroes are not getting individual solo movies that set up a shared universe just like Marvel's movies did before Avengers. It was successful as it had same actors in Avengers who previously featured in their own movies.

* But, They are against the idea of having Cavill as Suprman as it will dilute the Superman's chances of getting solo movie sequels.

* But, They don not want to have Ryan Reynolds as GL as his movie was not successful.

* But Fans are again against the idea of having a different separate continuities on for JL and another for solo Superhero movies. That would result in two Batmen, two Supermen.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #524
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

yeah, Start it out like worlds finest/JL the animated show with supes and batman and then just bring the other players in

Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #525
kguillou
Side-Kick

I'm very much for a World's Finest movie first, that way they don't blow their wad right away and wont have to spend as much either. Plus, hell, a Batman/Superman movie in of itself would be monumental and rake in at least a cool billion, easily. Plus, I kind of feel like their first cinematic meeting deserves its own film and story. then the sequal can be called World's Finest: JUSTICE or something like that and go for broke with the rest of the League.

Last edited by kguillou; 10-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread