The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Runaways

Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #101
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel’s Runaways General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
*cough* On the matter of magic, once again, the idea that Marvel, or Marvel TV, has a ban on magic is complete nonsense. Marvel TV itself has already had tons of magic, both on the Defenders shows and on Agents of SHIELD.
They've had magic, but the magic was explained by science. In Agents of SHIELD, it was drawing energy from another dimension (same as Doctor Strange). Defenders appeared to be science, just the science of harnessing your Chi or the science of harvesting alien creatures known as dragons.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #102
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
They've had magic, but the magic was explained by science. In Agents of SHIELD, it was drawing energy from another dimension (same as Doctor Strange). Defenders appeared to be science, just the science of harnessing your Chi or the science of harvesting alien creatures known as dragons.
Again, so what? If your definition of "magic" is "cannot be analyzed or examined by science at all", your definition is laughable and useless. Your literally making an argument that a book that turns people evil and breaks the laws of reality, and a *literal demon from hell*. . . do not qualify as magic. Because, apparently, if a scientist can enter the room and not have their head explode, it "doesn't count".

As for the showrunner interview, the showrunner can also say the sky is purple pokadots. This mainly just proves that showrunners are capable of talking nonsense. When what they say directly contradicts what is shown on screen, it doesn't make the stuff on screen suddenly not exist.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #103
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I think you're misinterpreting it. It sounds like you're defining magic differently from the showrunners and the showrunners have no problem having magic as you define it. They only said Marvel requires magic to have at least as much explanation as that in Agents of SHIELD, Doctor Strange, or Thor.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #104
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
I think you're misinterpreting it. It sounds like you're defining magic differently from the showrunners and the showrunners have no problem having magic as you define it. They only said Marvel requires magic to have at least as much explanation as that in Agents of SHIELD, Doctor Strange, or Thor.
Which is still stupid. Just let magic be ****ing magic.

They also took out the main thing that made the Staff of One interesting--the whole schtick that you can only cast each spell once. Or at least they haven't gotten to it yet, but it doesn't really seem to be on their radar to include. Especially since it's basically a big science stick now instead of a magic wand.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #105
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Yeah, I noticed what seems to be a lot of reused spells, which I agree is a pretty big change to make it less interesting.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 AM   #106
Lord
All Mighty

I haven't read the comics yet and have been enjoying the show so far but all i hear so far about the source material makes me slightly disappointed by what's happening on the show. It's the same kind of disappointment i had with Luke Cage. Seems like they took elements from the comics but droped what made them unique. From what i've been hearing (if the comics are indeed that good), the only thing the show has been doing better is make the parents relatable. But that kind of gets wasted with Jonah being the true leader. So far, he's unrelatable and unquestionably evil. Not making the parents literal super-villains also is to me like droping the "Hero for Hire" aspect from Luke Cage: A gigantic missed oportunity.

Overall i'm enjoying the show and dig the style, but i also wonder how much better the concept might have worked as a film.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:23 AM   #107
SirStrangefolk
Champion of Life

Quote:
So then why didn't they explain it in a similar way to SHIELD or Doctor Strange? Why have all the stuff about neural pathways and electrical currents if it would suffice to say that it reads her mind and creates certain effects. They can be from different dimensions or whatever, but why try to ground it in real-life physics if it so obviously doesn't follow those and that extent of explanation was not necessary in all those other things?

Once again I will keep my headcanon that Tina is simply trying to keep the existence of paraphysical magic forces a secret by explaining it away or omitting it from her explanation (if the staff is at least partly technological).

Her exact words are

Quote:
An electrical current just traveled from your neural pathways into the staff and made that happen.
Quote:
It is science, Nico.
She might not even have lied.
She is deliberately vague with "made that happen" and only proclaims "it is science". Since magic is , while different from physics, still scientific in a way, and she omitted any explanation as to how the staff actually produces such effects, I choose to believe it's still magic, even if I dislike the attempt to explain it using random physical terms to an extent.

Last edited by SirStrangefolk; 01-05-2018 at 05:28 AM.
SirStrangefolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #108
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I think the lack of details, to a significant degree, is to its benefit at having some kind of quasi-magical explanation. The only thing explained is how it responds to Nico's thoughts, not how it does what it does.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #109
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

The core of the problem is not "its impossible to handle magic on this show". The core of the problem is that the showrunner is convinced, or at least makes statements claiming, that the show isn't allowed to have magic, and thus isn't showing magic. And the logic he provides for such is laughable nonsense.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:26 AM   #110
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I haven't read the comics yet and have been enjoying the show so far but all i hear so far about the source material makes me slightly disappointed by what's happening on the show. It's the same kind of disappointment i had with Luke Cage. Seems like they took elements from the comics but droped what made them unique. From what i've been hearing (if the comics are indeed that good), the only thing the show has been doing better is make the parents relatable. But that kind of gets wasted with Jonah being the true leader. So far, he's unrelatable and unquestionably evil. Not making the parents literal super-villains also is to me like droping the "Hero for Hire" aspect from Luke Cage: A gigantic missed oportunity.

Overall i'm enjoying the show and dig the style, but i also wonder how much better the concept might have worked as a film.
They are getting to the hero for hire aspect of Luke Cage. The showrunners gave Cage a character arc with him starting out as a reluctant hero and eventually becoming the cage we know from the comics. The show just didn't follow the comic route of having him get out of jail and almost instantaneously decide to become a super hero for hire after being rewarded for doing a good deed.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #111
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Season 2. While I don't follow or watch the show, renewal is renewal.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/marvels-...-2-1202238683/

Marvel’s Runaways, from Marvel and ABC Signature Studios, and Future Man, from Sony TV Studios, have both been picked up for 13 episodes.

In Runaways, every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? Marvel’s Runaways is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe – their parents. The season finale airs on January 9th.

In Future Man, Josh Hutcherson stars as “Josh Futturman,” a janitor by day/gamer by night who is recruited by mysterious visitors to travel through time in order to prevent the extinction of humanity.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #112
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Which is still stupid. Just let magic be ****ing magic.

They also took out the main thing that made the Staff of One interesting--the whole schtick that you can only cast each spell once. Or at least they haven't gotten to it yet, but it doesn't really seem to be on their radar to include. Especially since it's basically a big science stick now instead of a magic wand.
Scientists trying to explain magic in a scientific context? Sounds about right.

In most cases magic has an explanation.
In wheel of time you have sadin and sadar which are tapped from the source.
In forgotten realms you have the weave.
In riftwars cycle it comes from sub atomic particles called stuff by nakor.

In most cases of fiction there is an explanation for where magic comes from, how it is controlled and rules.

It would be pretty clear to me that if magic existed in our world we would try and explain it in scientific terms. Doesn't take anything away from it.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #113
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

While I am happy that the show is renewed for a second season, I hope the pacing improves. It seems like it might now that most secrets are out. In any case, I hope Victor Mancha is introduced next season.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #114
Slick
Yup

Nice. This show is awesome.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #115
pixen
Side-Kick

Watching the final episode now...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I guess the fact that Loeb said this was more connected to the Netflix series has more worried about what's in that hole.

Edit: Finished the episode.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I really enjoyed the finale. They FINALLY RAN AWAY! I'm eager to see where they take it next season. I do fear that it's a light dragon down in the hole... but I'm happy with the whole character dynamics that have come together finally.
People doubting others, we have someone reporting back to Jonah. Old Lace is named! Karolina wears an outfit STRAIGHT from the comic. I hope we don't have to wait too long for season 2!

Last edited by pixen; 01-09-2018 at 02:35 AM.
pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #116
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

That was a quick renewal, LOL! But, good for the show. I will watch it. I hope season 2 moves quicker, though.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #117
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
That was a quick renewal, LOL! But, good for the show. I will watch it. I hope season 2 moves quicker, though.
i kinda doubt it since season 2 has 13 episodes as opposed to 10. And considering one of the complaints about the Netflix series is the pacing... plus unlike Netflix, Hulu releases each episode weekly instead of all at once so there’s no option to binge the series until the end. Still maybe it’ll go the Luke Cage route and have 2 arcs, each 6-7 episodes. Might help the pacing a bit.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #118
eon001
Side-Kick

This is probably an unfair comparison, but I'm 5 episodes into The Magicians and it's everything I wish Runaways was. It has the right balance of drama, spectacle, social and emotional issues, cast chemistry and mystery.

I'm still some what of a Runaways fan, but the show needs some maintenance going into season 2.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #119
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

That was a lame glow-off between Karolina and her dad. I still feel like they neutered pretty much everything that made the comics interesting.

My only hope for season two is that it's the actual Gibborim down the hole. It would at least make the sour taste of Jonah a little more palatable.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #120
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I'd have to imagine it's exactly that down the hole given the way they've presented it. Whether they show it is the better question, which is probably one of budget and effects as much as desire.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #121
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

If they can make a dinosaur look as good as they did with their budget, I don't think it would be a problem.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #122
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Old Lace looked great for TV just like Lockjaw.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #123
TheCardPlayer
Come play with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Old Lace looked great for TV just like Lockjaw.
Lockjaw looked like garbage, like most of Inhumans. Felt like they had 10$ in budget. Meanwhile Runaways had a dinosaur that looked fantastic.

Fire walk with me
TheCardPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #124
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Well at least Karolina wore a more comic inspired outfit but I'm still not happy she never got her flip flops.

And finally they're running away. But are the parents going to end up as runaways too?

And who framed the runaways for the murder of Destiny?

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #125
TheCardPlayer
Come play with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well at least Karolina wore a more comic inspired outfit but I'm still not happy she never got her flip flops.

And finally they're running away. But are the parents going to end up as runaways too?

And who framed the runaways for the murder of Destiny?
If we are going to go the foot fetish way, Nico and Karolina were barefoot a ton during the season, no? And the framing was totally from the Wilders. God I hate them. Hypocrites.

Fire walk with me
TheCardPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote