The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Runaways

Old 12-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Th Eek Doomsday | Runaways | EP9

Original Streaming Date: January 2, 2018

The Runaways are feeling more fractured than ever when Molly arrives with a devastating message from her parents. Now the kids have to stop their parents before it’s too late.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: Doomsday | Runaways | EP9

Old 12-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

So... the villain's scheme is similar to the Hand in The Defenders? Villains want to dig up something buried underground, which end up creating earthquakes that devastate the city? Okay.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
psylockolussus
Fierce User

That's probably just a coincidence.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
That's probably just a coincidence.
True. I mean I don't say that like its a bad thing. Its just noticeable, especially since The Defenders came out just a few months ago.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Thor 3/Inhumans were also similar in things.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Really? I wouldn't know. I gave up on that show after that 2 hour premier. I doubt Inhumans would've gotten better

Old 01-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePyro9 View Post
Really? I wouldn't know. I gave up on that show after that 2 hour premier. I doubt Inhumans would've gotten better
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Attilan was destroyed just like Asgard. And they moved to Midgard.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I think a giant hole in the ground is an easy budget thing, certainly compared to an undersea base.

I thought the relationship stuff worked very well in this episode. I thought the acting was very strong.

I also liked the slow realization by the parents of things and a build up to the finale. They did a good showing of panic on the parents part, selling not just a concern for themselves but a concern for their children because of Jonah.

Some deviations from the comics:

Molly's origin is alluded to here, suggesting it was the rock and not mutation giving her abilities.
Karolina's status is interesting. Things were technically a little vague, but my guess is she gets her glowy abilities from Jonah. That's not a bad change given the way the story is going, but it certainly limits her abilities - making Tina the only real threat to the Runaways besides Jonah.

Good to see the origin of the name, but I also would like a second season of them running away - particularly if their parents make it through or Jonah survives. I would argue the school setting can be fairly superfluous.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

That ending! Im not ready for the finale next week.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
pixen
Side-Kick

I thought this was a good episode. The ending gave me some big comic vibes and hoping they actually Runaway at the end of the finale.

I just wish Karolina and Molly looked a little more comic like with their powers. The former is a nitpick but the latter is a valid thing. She's supposed to be light/sunlight. Maybe something more like this:

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #12
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Apparently Jonah went to the Hand School of Villainy

I don't mind the idea, but having this show so close to Defenders makes me kind of roll my eyes at this aspect, LOL. I hope we don't see a dragon carcass or something down there.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
legendkillin
Side-Kick

So they get powers from rocks? like Smallville with the kryptonite shower.

Episode was good though, Karolina's dad was obvious not sure why no one was against her being so open to him.

legendkillin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
pixen
Side-Kick

I'm a little bummed about the hole/pit thing happening again. I'm still enjoying the series, but part of me wishes the movie actually happened. Things would have been executed better and wouldn't be so low budget on FX.

A comparison gif of the two versions from above.

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #15
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Talking Re: Doomsday | Runaways | EP9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Apparently Jonah went to the Hand School of Villainy

I don't mind the idea, but having this show so close to Defenders makes me kind of roll my eyes at this aspect, LOL. I hope we don't see a dragon carcass or something down there.
I did mention that a few posts up.

Anyways I liked the episode. While this was all set up for the big confrontation next week, I did like the character interactions between the teens, especially Chase and Gert and Nico and Karolina. Those were neat.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the season finale. Who knows how it will end. Personally, I hope that the Punisher appears out of nowhere and attacks the PRIDE. Jon Bernthal makes anything amazing.

Last edited by UltimatePyro9; 01-03-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #16
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePyro9 View Post
I did mention that a few posts up.

Anyways I liked the episode. While this was all set up for the big confrontation next week, I did like the character interactions between Chase and Gert and Nico and Karolina. Those were neat.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the season finale. Who knows how it will end. Personally, I hope that the Punisher appears out of nowhere and attacks the PRIDE. Jon Bernthal makes anything amazing.
I like that the plot is finally explaining things, lol. There was a fair amount of dragging in the middle, and not enough explaining what Pride is doing. Happy that it finally moving!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Wrap it up! I feel like most of the season is a long slow burn to the finale and eh. It lost my interest. Thank God, there's only one episode left.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I like that the plot is finally explaining things, lol. There was a fair amount of dragging in the middle, and not enough explaining what Pride is doing. Happy that it finally moving!
Agreed. The plot is finally moving along and it happens at the next to last episode. I’ll mention this again: this season seems to set up the teens running away from home and the parents looking for them next season. Regardless, I am looking forward to the finale.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #19
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Wrap it up! I feel like most of the season is a long slow burn to the finale and eh. It lost my interest. Thank God, there's only one episode left.
Yea me too. This is getting unbearable. Can we PLEASE get some answers. Who is Jonah? what is the Church's purpose? what's the deal with Molly's parents? Can we actually confirm that the Yorkes are time travelers please!

Not sure if the hook ups between Gert/Chase and Karolina/Nico were earned either. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but they seemed to just pop out of no where.

I guess Gert and Chase were kinda flirting, but it seemed to be one way from Gert, and then Chase hooks up with Karolina, then Karolina hooks up with Nico. The relationships are switching up too fast. Might have been better if Nico/Karolina and Chase/Gert was left to season 2.

I'm ready for this season to end. There's enough potential for this show to grow and become better in later seasons, but so far I feel a bit let down.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #20
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I think a giant hole in the ground is an easy budget thing, certainly compared to an undersea base.

I thought the relationship stuff worked very well in this episode. I thought the acting was very strong.

I also liked the slow realization by the parents of things and a build up to the finale. They did a good showing of panic on the parents part, selling not just a concern for themselves but a concern for their children because of Jonah.

Some deviations from the comics:

Molly's origin is alluded to here, suggesting it was the rock and not mutation giving her abilities.
Karolina's status is interesting. Things were technically a little vague, but my guess is she gets her glowy abilities from Jonah. That's not a bad change given the way the story is going, but it certainly limits her abilities - making Tina the only real threat to the Runaways besides Jonah.

Good to see the origin of the name, but I also would like a second season of them running away - particularly if their parents make it through or Jonah survives. I would argue the school setting can be fairly superfluous.
Regarding the deviations.

While Molly's character is not labeled a Mutant. Gert does refer to the Rocks that changed Molly as Mutant Fungus. I assume this was the most respect they could pay to Molly's character being a Mutant in the comics, without there being a legal issue. I know Disney is buying Fox, but the deals not done yet and in the meantime they still have to follow the contracts.

Surfer

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=539485

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #21
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon001 View Post
Yea me too. This is getting unbearable. Can we PLEASE get some answers. Who is Jonah? what is the Church's purpose? what's the deal with Molly's parents? Can we actually confirm that the Yorkes are time travelers please!
I think you have to stop basing this on the comic and judge it on its own story. I think this story answered what was up with Molly's parents (they were geologists who were murdered) and there's no reason to assume the Yorkes are time travelers.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:17 AM   #22
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think you have to stop basing this on the comic and judge it on its own story. I think this story answered what was up with Molly's parents (they were geologists who were murdered) and there's no reason to assume the Yorkes are time travelers.
Didn't they already hint that the Yorkes were at least playing with time travel? I'm fine if there not time travellers. In fact I'm happy for them to make as many changes as they want. I just want them to make a firm decision and communicate it to the audience. This long drawn out mystery is unnecessary and needs to end.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #23
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I don't believe they've hinted at it, no. Victor Stein, maybe, but the Yorkes seem to be into genetic modification.

Let me ask you this. If the answer to whether they're time travelers is "no," what additional information do you think is required?

Old 01-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #24
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't believe they've hinted at it, no. Victor Stein, maybe, but the Yorkes seem to be into genetic modification.

Let me ask you this. If the answer to whether they're time travelers is "no," what additional information do you think is required?
Yea your right. Just watched it, it was the Stien flashback in episode 7.

Anyway the time traveler thing was less important. I'm actually happy with the book deviations. If the Yorkes are geneticists then I'm cool with that. It's the other mysteries I'd like an answer too.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #25
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I guess it's Frank

who betrays the Runaways compared to the comics? Who else is exactly going to betray them now? That would seem like a double betrayal and a bit of a repeat of what has already happened.