The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Flash > The Flash World

Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

Default The Flash 1990 TV series

This is a thread to talk about the old show.

Favorite episode(s).

Least favorite episode(s).

Costume.

Compare it to the new show if you like, as the OP I don't have an issue with that.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
JMLZ
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Flash 1990 TV series

My favorite episode is Captain Cold. The dude cracked corny ice puns as bad as Arnold's Mr. Freeze, but he was still a competent opponent who gave Flash a hard time. In fact, of all the villains in the series, he came the closest to actually killing Barry. The scene where he escapes from jail was done well too.

My least favorite... probably Twin Streaks for two related reasons. First, I prefer that my heroes face enemies who are at least as competent as they are; the Blue Flash was not. Secondly, why not just use the actual Reverse Flash. They substituted a smarter opponent for a dumber one; why?

Despite the missteps, I can still enjoy this series even with the 2014 series now on the air.

Last edited by JMLZ; 01-26-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: grammar
JMLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
famicommander
Side-Kick

I liked the Nightshade episodes, the Trickster episodes, the Captain Cold episode, and the Mirror Master episode the most. It was tough to buy Captain Cold as a ruthless hitman rather than his traditional Rogue depiction, but it was still fun to watch.

My least favorite was probably the one where Tina goes evil for a while. I just couldn't buy her as a villain even with the circumstances that led to it being out of her control. I also didn't dig the one about Barry's dad's cop past coming back to bite them.

Overall it's still a decent series. Some of the humor and effects haven't aged well, but on the whole it's much more watchable than contemporary live action comic shows like Swamp Thing or Superboy, or later shows like Smallville, Birds of Prey, or Lois and Clark. I'd put it about on par with the first season of Arrow (season 2 was better, season 3 is so far worse).

I love seeing John Wesley Shipp, Amanda Pays, and Mark Hamill coming to the new show. The new show is WAY better than the old one but it's still good to see that they haven't forgotten about it.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

I love the costume, this could be my favorite design for Flash suit in live action.
I love how Trickster and Prank in the final episode served as warm up for Joker & Harley in Batman:TAS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLZ View Post
My least favorite... probably Twin Streaks for two related reasons. First, I prefer that my heroes face enemies who are at least as competent as they are; the Blue Flash was not. Secondly, why not just use the actual Reverse Flash. They substituted a smarter opponent for a dumber one; why?
It was an interesting idea.
Pollux still had the mind of a child, it was interesting, and it's one of my favorite episodes.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Duke
Knowin Is Half The Battle

I personally liked the old show & thought the costume was pretty good for it's time. The episodes were really good as well, I especially liked Mark Hamill as The Trickster.

H.E.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:35 AM   #6
TMC1982
Side-Kick

One Season Wonders: The Flash

The Flash (1990-1991): Comic Influences

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

I saw the pilot again, and this is probably the only version of Flash not impressed by having super speed at start, and wanted to be normal again.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
BH/HHH
You Are My World

I honestly don't think there is a bad episode, it has a few that are just OK but none are bad. Such a great show, wish it had gotten at least one more season.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
famicommander
Side-Kick

I have the DVD box set, but for those who don't all episodes of 90s Flash are streaming free on cwseed.com

It's the same site they have the Vixen webseries on, which is in-universe with the modern Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Constantine shows.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
Speed Force
Jeffrey Wright 4 Doc Ock

Thinking about buying this on Amazon. I'll probably go through with it, although I've never seen it. Even as a huge fan of the Flash.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
Thinking about buying this on Amazon. I'll probably go through with it, although I've never seen it. Even as a huge fan of the Flash.
I'm honestly not sure you will like it, I watched it as a kid so it held a lot of nostalgia for me. I really don't think there's a bad episode though and it really picks up (after a great pilot) about midway through the season when they start using the comic book villains. The pilot, the time travel episode and two Trickster episodes are the best of the show IMO.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #12
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
Watch a few episodes on cwseed.com if you're not sure.

Like all the DC shows of the era (Superboy, Swamp Thing, Flash), it seems to get a hell of a lot better in the second half of the first season.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #13
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Bumping the thread to mention that the show has now been confirmed to officially exist within the confines of the Arrowverse's internal Multiverse.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #14
Speed Force
Jeffrey Wright 4 Doc Ock

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
Watch a few episodes on cwseed.com if you're not sure.

Like all the DC shows of the era (Superboy, Swamp Thing, Flash), it seems to get a hell of a lot better in the second half of the first season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I'm honestly not sure you will like it, I watched it as a kid so it held a lot of nostalgia for me. I really don't think there's a bad episode though and it really picks up (after a great pilot) about midway through the season when they start using the comic book villains. The pilot, the time travel episode and two Trickster episodes are the best of the show IMO.
I bought it and I got through the first 5 or 6 episodes so far. I liked most of the episodes so far and I've heard it only gets better. I just haven't had time to pick it back up yet.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #15
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Great series! I like it better than the new one. I'll probably elaborate more later.

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Clark-Kent
I don't need glasses

Wow checked out the series, have to say there is something that seems more heroic about JWS It really feels like a legit superhero, more so than our current Flash series. Made before I was born so kinda weird in that way though lol.

Clark-Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #17
tom2point0

Hi everyone, Tom here! New to the boards here but joined because a friend of mine and myself do a podcast called The Rewatch Podcast and we've gone through Sliders and Lois and Clark so far and our NEXT focus is going to be THIS SHOW itself!

If you guys like the original Flash series maybe you can join us in our rewatch. We cover two episodes every week and do a synopsis for each, search for interesting tidbits about the various episodes, then discuss our thoughts on them.

I'll be back to let you know once we actually get it started. We are on a break at the moment, having covered Lois and Clark no stop for the past year, so stay tuned!

tom2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote