The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Preacher

Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
Guts
My love for you

Default Preacher Season One, Episode 10 "Call and Response"

Quote:
It is the day the entire town has been waiting for, as Jesse tries to follow through on his promise to get answers from Heaven.

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Morg
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Preacher Season One, Episode 10 "Call and Response"

so...the whole town gets nuked by a cow fart???

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

That was just plain awful. Total waste of time.

Last edited by Lighthouse; 07-31-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Lighthouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

That was great, no way. They're finally going to get into some plot elements of the comics in the next season. Can't wait.

hellblazer103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #5
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Yeah, I kinda loved it.

Man in the Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #6
Sawyer
High King

Yeah, I don't think it was bad at all. I do wish there had been paths crossed with Jesse and the Saint of Killers before the ending, but I'm good with it nonetheless.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:24 AM   #7
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I feel like the entire season was built for nothing. Emily was totally pointless. Donnie and his wife's reversal was out of nowhere. Odin was wasted. All of it so it could just set up what would have taken a single episode to do.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

Very disappointed that the Saint didn't show up until the very end. While the season overall was good, a lot of the sub plots completely fizzled out...Emily and Carlos especially. What a pointless character he was.

I'm hoping for an improvement in Season 2.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Drizzle
Ah, Goldblum, ah, Smash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I feel like the entire season was built for nothing. Emily was totally pointless. Donnie and his wife's reversal was out of nowhere. Odin was wasted. All of it so it could just set up what would have taken a single episode to do.
That's pretty much how I felt. I'll tune in for season two but all of this didn't need to be dragged out over 10 episodes. If they really wanted to spend the whole season in Annville, then they could have just done a 6 episode season like the first season of The Walking Dead.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

They could've just saved an Annville story arc for Salvation as per the comics. I enjoyed the Salvation story arc and it's something we won't see in this show now which is a bummer.

I gave the season a shot and it just didn't stick for me. I'll tune in to for season 2 as well but I don't expect much. Season 1 was a waste of time, here's hoping for something that I recognise as the Preacher in season 2.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #11
James
Built from Lego

I'd made my mind up a while back that I wouldn't be returning for season two. If I hadn't already made the decision, seeing that this version of Jesse has killed innocent people certainly would have sealed the deal.

What a damn shame. Preacher has such potential to be a truly great TV series. I wasn't expecting brilliance, or for it to even be all that good, but for them to drop the ball this hard is pretty surprising.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 AM   #12
MurkeNyou
Side-Kick

I enjoyed it, Guess it's not for this crowd.

MurkeNyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:13 AM   #13
Guts
My love for you

Maybe I should watch the episode again but did anyone notice how it was odd how Cassidy's weakness against sunlight was ignored. Like how the three of them are driving off in the end in the day time and Cassidy isn't bursting into flames.

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #14
eplo
agent of nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
Maybe I should watch the episode again but did anyone notice how it was odd how Cassidy's weakness against sunlight was ignored. Like how the three of them are driving off in the end in the day time and Cassidy isn't bursting into flames.
Looked like he was laying down in the back seat. Apparently the sun can only go straight in not down

eplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #15
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZaTrOn View Post
They could've just saved an Annville story arc for Salvation as per the comics. I enjoyed the Salvation story arc and it's something we won't see in this show now which is a bummer.
It's because it's a whole arc without Tulip or Cassidy.

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #16
Great Mind(s)
Broken

What's wrong with season 1 being stationary like Salvation? You could argue those characters served no purpose either and that storyline was also a "waste of time" but you won't. I don't see what is wrong with Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy's first of many adventures is a combo of Gone to Texas and Salvation. Would I have liked the sicker aspects of Odin and Oatlash? Yeah, and maybe they'll bring Odin back by saying he escaped early due to having an alarm go off in his office or something.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
It's because it's a whole arc without Tulip or Cassidy.
Right..... even if that was an issue for the show they could tell Tulip and Cassidy's story away from Jesse to include them in that season. Moot point though as this show is what we have and we'll not see anything like that come to fruition.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #18
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
What's wrong with season 1 being stationary like Salvation? You could argue those characters served no purpose either and that storyline was also a "waste of time" but you won't. I don't see what is wrong with Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy's first of many adventures is a combo of Gone to Texas and Salvation. Would I have liked the sicker aspects of Odin and Oatlash? Yeah, and maybe they'll bring Odin back by saying he escaped early due to having an alarm go off in his office or something.
Nothing is wrong with it. It was just poorly executed in my opinion. And yes I will disagree about the characters in Salvation being a waste of time A) because one is a rather important figure in his life and B) Others in the town are responsible for getting him back on track with his quest. It fit nicely in the overall story of the Preacher helping him deal with the past and move forward.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Yeah, I don't know what to make of this show anymore. I loved it at the start, but the more it went on... it was hard to like any of these characters or even understand their motivations. I guess Jesse is supposed to represent religious hypocrisy or something? He wants to save everyone but can't keep from beating them up and killing them? Tulip started out awesome but then she pretty much turned into a stalker. Emily kills a guy for no reason. The guy with the broken arm become Jesse's BFF out of nowhere. And Odin is... I don't even f***ing know. I also didn't like how they kept going low-tech with some of the effects ("God" in the last episode, deep space in the premiere). It's just kind of jarring.

I might watch next season. I don't know. But thus far, it's not even in the same class with most AMC shows (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, Mad Men).

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #20
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Again, as someone who has never read the comic book and knows little to nothing about its history, I can only judge this as a show, and I found Preacher at the most, enjoyable and campy, though there were some very uncharacteristic moments throughout.

I enjoyed the main characters and appreciate that the side-characters weren't two dimensional- we actually got to learn something about them, and it would have been easy to discard them altogether and focus just on Jesse, Cassidy, and Tulip. But, as someone unfamiliar with the source material, I get the vibe from others that this show comes off as more of a mixed bag.

NotNickFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #21
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Again, as someone who has never read the comic book and knows little to nothing about its history, I can only judge this as a show, and I found Preacher at the most, enjoyable and campy, though there were some very uncharacteristic moments throughout.

I enjoyed the main characters and appreciate that the side-characters weren't two dimensional- we actually got to learn something about them, and it would have been easy to discard them altogether and focus just on Jesse, Cassidy, and Tulip. But, as someone unfamiliar with the source material, I get the vibe from others that this show comes off as more of a mixed bag.
I've come the realization that the show was meant for folks like you. I feel like if I didn't know anything about the book, I would have liked it.

But.... because I've damn near memorized the story, I just have the hardest time getting past some of the unearned, drastic changes introduced. I probably won't stick around for season 2. Maybe Netflix after the fact...

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #22
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

I enjoyed it

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #23
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I just binge watch the first season on Hulu over the weekend. I liked it. Really surprised how they killed everyone off except for the 3 main characters. Really going to miss Emily too. They could have done so much more with her.

Prison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote