The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Has Marvel made an outright "bad" movie?
Yes 44 30.77%
No 99 69.23%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #201
NealKenneth
Side-Kick

Default Re: Has Marvel made an outright "bad" movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consona View Post
Why is IM2 rated so low in MCU?
I used to not care for the film myself but, having rewatched it recently, it's difficult to remember why.

There was a lot of criticism for how a good portion of the story is spent introducing Nick Fury, Black Widow, and SHIELD. Maybe it's because of how the MCU has bloomed since then, but now, they fit right in for me. Nothing feels forced or out of place about them being in the film.
The elements with Tony's father have also been greatly strengthened by knowing there's a payoff coming way later (in Civil War.)

The worst part of the film for me is how Tony solves the problem of his arc reactor poisoning him. There's this whole sequence where it's revealed that his father hid the recipe for a new element in a model park for a few decades? What? But even then, the sequence is well-staged and acted.

Other than that, the film is really great. Hammer and Whiplash are both very entertaining and memorable villains. Their fleet of drones is a far more awesome version of Ultron's eventual robot army. War Machine's origin and Tony's alcoholism are addressed in a very convincing and impactful way. The scene where Rhodey and Tony fight at Tony's birthday party is very well done and actually pretty upsetting to watch as an adult.

I also love how the film both begins and ends at Stark's expo. it's a nice touch

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 AM   #202
Consona
Side-Kick

NealKenneth: Thx for sharing your view. Because I too think that film is actually much better then people rather universally claim.

It's strange how opinion can really change from viewing to viewing after some years. Like I liked CA:TFA a lot but after watching it recently I did not find it as good as I remembered it. The same happened with T:TDW, I liked it the first time, now I was not able to get through the first hour.
In near future I want to rewatch IM2 so I'm curious how that will change my perception of the film since I liked it a lot in the days when it was released.

Consona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:42 AM   #203
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Despite them being 2 different movies, i actually find IM2 and IM3 have similar problems. I think the first hour for both are great, but then the rest of both movies are not as interesting. Also in both the secondary villain (Hammer and Kingsley 'Mandarin') is more interesting than the main villain (Whiplash and Killian).

Neither are bad but with IM2, i dont think it went far enough with the demon in a bottle elements of the storyline. I also felt the paladium poisoning sub plot was pointless, especially when we new The Avengers was out a couple of years later. Again it's not bad, but could have been better for me

1)Logan-9.5(2)John Wick 2-8(3)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(4)Ghost In The Shell-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #204
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
Haha yes, I actually know a guy who hated this film so much that he says almost the entire film is just Tony making up a story for Bruce.
Being as they don't really mention anything from IM3 until CW, and even then it's only a remark about Tony blowing up his suits, there could be a really interesting argument in there.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #205
DACrowe
Side-Kick

For me Avengers: Age of Ultron is outright bad. I also think Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, and probably The Incredible Hulk (I really don't remember it too well at this point) are quite mediocre. So yes.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #206
The Endless
WE are Groot

Age of Ultron is the least enjoyable MCU film for me. I dunno if I'd call it outright bad though. It has some great moments and performances. The Vision in particular is a fantastically realised character with a top performance by Bettany. But all those things just don't add up to a great film. I tried rewatching it and just got bored so skipped to certain moments.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #207
First Avenger
Side-Kick

I must be an odd duck then. It's one of my favourites from Marvel.

Last edited by First Avenger; 04-21-2017 at 04:22 PM.
First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #208
NealKenneth
Side-Kick

I was disappointed when I first saw Age of Ultron, but since then it has really grown on me. Like IM 2, it's probably because of how later films flesh out certain characters and consequences. I guess that was the whole point of a connected universe so...good job Marvel!

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #209
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Age of Ultron is the least enjoyable MCU film for me. I dunno if I'd call it outright bad though. It has some great moments and performances. The Vision in particular is a fantastically realised character with a top performance by Bettany. But all those things just don't add up to a great film. I tried rewatching it and just got bored so skipped to certain moments.
Got to agree, I find it just gets worse each time I try to watch it as well. It has the odd great moment, some good ones, but an unfortunate amount of bad ones also. Ultron especially really disappoints me. I like movies to make me feel something during it, sadness, excitement, tension, I just feel nothing during AOU.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #210
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

I don't think they've made a bad movie yet. They've made a couple I wasn't particularly fond of, but that doesn't equate to "bad". GL was a "bad" movie. X Last Stand and Origins were "bad" movies. I hear Fan4astic was a "bad" movie, but I didn't watch it out of fear.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #211
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

IN MY OPINION, Thor 2: The Dark World was absolute rubbish. Thank You.

aNarcHy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #212
childeroland
Side-Kick

Thor 2 comes pretty close, but not quite.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy

Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing. Arya Stark
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:05 AM   #213
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

The Incredible Hulk

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend. - MLK
Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:28 AM   #214
B
[insert witty comment]

What? Am I actually in the minority in actually thinking Thor: The Dark World & Iron Man 2 were alright?

As for the poll, I voted yes, Iron Man 3 was terrible IMO. Ironically if I can recall when I'd seen the movie in the cinema I thought it was pretty meh, but I'd enjoy it more the next time I saw it. It went the opposite way for me & it actually make me dislike the movie rather than thinking it was simply 'meh'.

Didn't care for Age of Ultron either that much, I wouldn't call it bad though it was just 'meh', it's alright.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #215
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

I like all three IM films now. IM>IM2>IM3.

Three worst films of MCU - Thor: The Dark World<The Incredible Hulk<Thor. IMO. If I'm in a bad mood, I can call TDW and TIH "bad".

Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #216
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

IM>IM3>IM2 but I like all three.

TDW is a outright bad movie. I cringe during some parts of it.

Who put Bella in the wych elm? Hans Van Houten did.
Greens
I know you're there, I know you can hear me.
You may have no tongue but there's nothing wrong with your ears.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #217
Loki882
Side-Kick

My problems with IM 2 boil are on multiple levels:

-It's not paced very well (there are significant chunks of the movie that are kind of boring imo).

-A lot of the "on the fly banter" that worked for the first film, didn't work nearly as much here.

-The comedy was nearly as funny, nor was it integrated well into the narrative.

-Vanko was wasted potential. He had a cool look, decent motivations, a great actor playing him, a pretty clever plan, etc. And for the first half or so, they build him up well. But then in the second half, he's offscreen a lot, he doesn't do much when he is onscreen (he's stuck in a workshop most of the time), his motivations changed in the third act, he gets taken out in a really underwhelming way, etc.

-When the movie starts focusing on Hammer, it's not nearly as effective because, while Sam Rockwell is entertaining, Hammer is not nearly as interesting as Vanko, nor is he nearly as threatening. Ironically, IM 3 had a similar problem once the "reveal" happened imo. Killian was not nearly as menacing or threatening as Fake Mandarin was.

-It's the worst use of the Tony/Pepper relationship in any of these films.

-The resolution of the "Tony is dying" subplot was so ridiculously contrived and poorly-written that it was face-palming.

-Fury, BW, and SHIELD felt shoe-horned in. Not that I have a problem with them being in an IM movie on principle, that can be cool if done well. But here, it wasn't.

-Etc.

Do I think that it's terrible, no. It's got some good stuff (solid acting overall, cool action, good special effects overall, some interesting if underexplored ideas, etc). And it's an entertaining movie overall when you watch it. But it is a big step down from the first movie and it's decidedly "meh" for me overall.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #218
childeroland
Side-Kick

Forgot about Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk. So two bad movies, yeah.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy

Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing. Arya Stark
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #219
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I still kinda prefer Iron Man 2 to Iron Man 3 as weird as that may sound.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #220
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I still kinda prefer Iron Man 2 to Iron Man 3 as weird as that may sound.
I tend to flip flop about which one I like better. It was IM2 but after a recent re-watch of both I found I enjoyed IM3 more.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #221
Loki882
Side-Kick

I actually prefer IM2 myself. It's a bit better paced, it holds together more as a movie, and the comedy works a bit better. Oh and also fewer plot holes, and no hamfisted "twist" either, that helps to.

Just as an aside, I still maintain that if they needed to do a twist with the villains, then making Maya Hansen the true mastermind would have not only been more interesting, but made more logical sense overall.

And, to give Shane Black some credit, that apparently originally was his intent before a higher-up at Marvel coughIkePerlmuttercough vetoed the idea for stupid reasons.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #222
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I actually prefer IM2 myself. It's a bit better paced, it holds together more as a movie, and the comedy works a bit better. Oh and also fewer plot holes, and no hamfisted "twist" either, that helps to.

Just as an aside, I still maintain that if they needed to do a twist with the villains, then making Maya Hansen the true mastermind would have not only been more interesting, but made more logical sense overall.

And, to give Shane Black some credit, that apparently originally was his intent before a higher-up at Marvel coughIkePerlmuttercough vetoed the idea for stupid reasons.
That not only would have been much better, but more accurate to the comics as well.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #223
Loki882
Side-Kick

^Exactly. She was the mastermind in the comic arc that the movie was loosely based on (whereas Killian showed up for like a page, if that). And it seemed like they might have been setting that up early on (the flashback scene at the beginning specifically). But then it gets dropped in favor of the Killian stuff.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #224
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post

Yup that was his original idea. He could have made it now. We're getting two female villains from Marvel this year.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #225
Panacea
Side-Kick

I'm probably in the minority in that Iron Man 2 is probably my favourite of the three. It's the one with the most actual Iron Man in it.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote