The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #901
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: The New Mutants - Josh Boone to Direct - Part 1

This is from the same studio that let the producers to keep the X-Men in the past and killed off the X-Men in Logan. So no surprised here with Simon directing the next film.

X-Men: Homecoming (2024): Adjectiveless/Uncanny
Astonishing X-Men (2025): Lorna, Alex, Emma, Alison, Lucas, Sean, Forge
Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #902
Ryan1210
Side-Kick

Rumor has it Caio Paduan is being eyed for Sunspot. He also confirmed such rumor on his twitter

Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #903
Smilodon
Side-Kick

https://m.omelete.uol.com.br/filmes/...-mancha-solar/

Getting a weird translation on this one, but does it say Caio is confirmed for it?

Also, boo to no Afro-Brazilian Bobby.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #904
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post

Getting a weird translation on this one, but does it say Caio is confirmed for it?

Damn he looks older than McAvoy

"A man has to be what he is. You can't break the mold..... There’s no living with… with a killing. There’s no going back from one. Right or wrong, it’s a brand. A brand sticks. There’s no going back. Now you run on home to your mother, and tell her… tell her everything’s all right. And there aren’t anymore guns in the valley."
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #905
Ryan1210
Side-Kick

Yeah kind of unexpected from Boone lol. I mean he's a 31 playing a 16 year-old character. Not to mention his teammates are early 20s.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #906
JP
Smelly

Yeah... doubt it.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #907
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Just scouting Twitter and the Brazilian responses, seems to be just auditioned. Which is good because he doesn't particularly off the vibe that Bobby does judging from his photos (also he's too old)

Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #908
Zant
Side-Kick

Pretty cool that this is going to have a diverse and international cast. Very Captain Planet lol.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #909
RalphieRandy
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yes, once again he's not Afro-Brazilian.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #910
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
Very Captain Planet lol.
I like that analogy!

"A man has to be what he is. You can't break the mold..... There’s no living with… with a killing. There’s no going back from one. Right or wrong, it’s a brand. A brand sticks. There’s no going back. Now you run on home to your mother, and tell her… tell her everything’s all right. And there aren’t anymore guns in the valley."
Old 04-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #911
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphieRandy View Post
Yes, once again he's not Afro-Brazilian.
Yeah, I think this is one that Fox shouldn't screw up. Bobby's skintone has been an ongoing source of controversy in the comics and they haven't gone anywhere near that light. I think his ethnicity and Dani's ethnicity are important to get right.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Old 04-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #912
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Yeah, I think this is one that Fox shouldn't screw up. Bobby's skintone has been an ongoing source of controversy in the comics and they haven't gone anywhere near that light. I think his ethnicity and Dani's ethnicity are important to get right.
I agree.

It would be a mistake to cast this guy.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #913
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
After the Ghost in the Shell debacle, I would think studios will think twice. Marvel getting away with the Doc Strange whitewashing should not encourage other studios to do the same.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #914
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
After the Ghost in the Shell debacle, I would think studios will think twice. Marvel getting away with the Doc Strange whitewashing should not encourage other studios to do the same.
explain what was wrong with Dr. Strange? Isnt the character white? What controversy did he have?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #915
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
explain what was wrong with Dr. Strange? Isnt the character white? What controversy did he have?
Obviously Ancient One

Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #916
Lip
Side-Kick

Yeah, I'd rather someone younger and afro-brazilian, but if they're actually looking for a brazilian actor to play Bobby, that's amazing. I'd love if they did the same with the rest of the cast. I doubt it, but it'd be awesome

Isn't Maise Williams scottish?

And I'd love to see Karma in the team too.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #917
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
People weren't happy The Ancient One was played by a white woman instead of an Asian man like in the comics.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Wonder Woman-9(6)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(7)It-8(8)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(9)John Wick 2-8(10)Split-8(11)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(12)Alien Covenant-7(13)Ghost In The Shell-7(14)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(15)The Dark Tower-4(16)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #918
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
People weren't happy The Ancient One was played by a white woman instead of an Asian man like in the comics.
Oh thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Zelinsky View Post
Obviously Ancient One
Im not familiar with the character so didnt know. I heard some rumblings about people complaining that a Brit was playing an American, which I thought was dumb and assumed thats what people were referring to here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Yeah, I'd rather someone younger and afro-brazilian, but if they're actually looking for a brazilian actor to play Bobby, that's amazing. I'd love if they did the same with the rest of the cast. I doubt it, but it'd be awesome

And I'd love to see Karma in the team too.
New Mutants always had a large cast and Claremont had a tough time juggling that in the books. That definitely wouldnt work in a film and if you have to trim the fat, Karma is the first one that needs to go as she is nonessential

Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #919
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Quote:
Im not familiar with the character so didnt know. I heard some rumblings about people complaining that a Brit was playing an American, which I thought was dumb and assumed thats what people were referring to here
The controversy was a Caucasian women portraying a Asian man

Quote:
if you have to trim the fat, Karma is the first one that needs to go as she is nonessential
An Asian character with a nice sized role would boost the box office overseas.

Being popular in the comics is irrelevant when all the characters are unknown to the general audience

Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #920
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
The controversy was a Caucasian women portraying a Asian man

An Asian character with a nice sized role would boost the box office overseas.

Being popular in the comics is irrelevant when all the characters are unknown to the general audience
My comment wasnt about popularity. With limited amount of time to introduce the characters and tell a good story, the larger the cast, the less time there is to get good characterization. A 5 or 6 roster team is decent enough to start this series. Karma is nonessential when Dani, Illyana, Rahne, Bobby and Sam are more vital and looks like Warlock will round out for 6. Karma has nothing to offer outside of being Asian and thats not a reason to include her. If this film plans on adapting one of the more iconic NM story arcs, she wanst important for any of them and only ever served a minor role. Boone should be able to tell the story he wants and not feel pressure to cater to any races.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #921
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Boone's publicly stated he would be getting a Native American actress for Dani, but I have a feeling he may end up casting a white Brazilian for Bobby. Might be harder to find a good Afro Brazilian actor than a Native American actress.

I really like the roster, and I know some people really want Xian, I'd rather they save her and introduce her, Doug and Amara in sequels instead of haphazardly cramming them in. Treat them like Nightcrawler in X2 or Quicksilver in DOFP vs Psylocke and Angel in Apocalypse.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #922
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Boone's publicly stated he would be getting a Native American actress for Dani, but I have a feeling he may end up casting a white Brazilian for Bobby. Might be harder to find a good Afro Brazilian actor than a Native American actress.

I really like the roster, and I know some people really want Xian, I'd rather they save her and introduce her, Doug and Amara in sequels instead of haphazardly cramming them in. Treat them like Nightcrawler in X2 or Quicksilver in DOFP vs Psylocke and Angel in Apocalypse.
The casting guys for Logan found Dafne from somewhere. They should be enough young first time acting talents waiting to be discovered from around the world.

Speaking of Amara, I know her from Xmen Evolution show. I was surprised to discover that she is a white girl with blond hair in the comics.I wonder which route they will take, if she shows up in a future film.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #923
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
She's English. For Bobby, I'd love a Brazilian actor, but I'd be OK with a Spanish-speaking actor instead. But I think race is more important than nationality on this.

Quote:
I highly doubt that. 97 million Brazilians consider themselves to be black. 2.9 million Americans consider themselves to be pure Native American (I chose that number to avoid the "I'm 1/100th Cherokee" people).

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #924
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Quote:
I really like the roster, and I know some people really want Xian, I'd rather they save her and introduce her, Doug and Amara in sequels instead of haphazardly cramming them in.

There's hundred's of students at Xavier's they can be students without being in the main cast

Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #925
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's hundred's of students at Xavier's they can be students without being in the main cast
In the case of Amara, she shouldnt be a background student and is best saved for a sequel bc her backstory is ripe for a movie plotline in and of itself. Doug? He should totally be a random supporting kid in this film. He should pop up in some scenes and not even realize he's a mutant till maybe the very end which sets him up to join them next film. If they were to include Karma, I could see her taking on the Stevie Hunter role bc she was older than the rest of the kids by a few years

Closed Thread