The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: What do you think of Zack Snyder's visual's?
He makes the best looking comic book movies ever! 27 23.89%
He has his moments 50 44.25%
His visuals are average 12 10.62%
They're not that good 24 21.24%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #176
Spider-Aziz
Hey Willie

Default Re: Zack Snyder's Visuals, Amazing or Trash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
I hope one day Snyder embraces his nature and makes a Mortal Kombat movie. Holy crap, I'd watch that.
As long as he doesn't present a worse Liu Kang than the one from Legacy.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The way Spider-Man movie is advertised, they might as well show the whole movie on YouTube before theatrical release.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #177
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I guess it added to Bruce's paranoia. It showed the worst case scenario in his mind. But... it didn't necessarily have to be a big action set piece that took up 10 mins of screen time. It was like they had to insert an action scene to tick off a check list, which is the worst kind of film making. Tbf to Snyder it wouldn't surprise me if that was "suggested" by a studio exec though.
Yeah. You could achieve the same practical effects with a 30 second nightmare sequence, heavy on obvious dream symbolism. Still elucidated Batman's state of mind, but without the fridge logic or the pacing trouble.

And. . . the execs may well have suggested a middle film action sequence, but its still Snyder's fault for fulfilling that need with something this pointlessly indulgent.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #178
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hope one day Snyder embraces his nature and makes a Mortal Kombat movie. Holy crap, I'd watch that.
It might work, but even though Mortal Kombat has about the right level of plot sophistication for Snyder to do well ( ie, Bay-level ), you'd still need to make sure you get "good Snyder" and not "bad Snyder". A low plot kung fu movie like Mortal Kombat lives or dies by its action scenes, and a lot of Snyder fight scenes are pretty soulless and colorless.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #179
Ultimate Movie-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
a lot of Snyder fight scenes are pretty soulless and colorless.
explain

Ultimate Movie-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #180
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

I think only CGI carnage of Snyder is pretty soulless and colorless. His brawls are really nice, IMO. Batman warehouse, Watchmen fights and 300 battles. Every punch counts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
As long as he doesn't present a worse Liu Kang than the one from Legacy.
Don't worry, Snyder's Liu Kang will be the most physically perfect Asian you'll ever get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Is that you or me he's talking to, Boose? Because one of us should tell him to look at the poll or read through the comments of this thread and see the reality that it's a multiple man army that isn't impressed with Snyder's visuals, or Snyder in general.
I don't know. I wish it was "one-man".

Last edited by OutOfBoose; 04-20-2017 at 06:15 PM.
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #181
jmc
away for a while

It's amazing how much more watchable a film is when it's not overly filtered and artificial looking. I've spent the last few days looking over clips of all of Snyder's films on Youtube and Watchmen is without doubt the easiest on the eyes, unnecessary slow mo notwithstanding. Even if I do feel the film is kinda meh at the very least visually it looks the most grounded and authentic. The sets and lighting look real, there's no overly contrasting filters that have been applied in post, for the most part it looks far more natural. 300, Sucker Punch, MoS, BvS, and the JL trailer, it's all computer generated looking nonsense. The question I have then is whether him adhering so close to Watchmen book forced him to changed his style.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #182
wnjcwjkk
Side-Kick

Quote:

Nice, Me and my friend have been talking about that for several years now, how he'd be perfect to direct a MK Trilogy, none of this "different interpretation" realism stuff, just straight up MK I, II, and III, with all the characters and mythology taken straight from the games, it practically writes itself. First movie gets into the mythology and the tournament, second movie reveals what's happening in Outworld, the characters travel there, maybe there's some kind of civil war going on, with several clans uprising against Shao Kahn. And the third film is an apocalyptic scenario when Outworld invades Earth.

Just get the right fight choreographer, it would definitely fit with Snyder's green screen 300 slow mo action style. That was my first thought when I saw Batman hit that "Get Over Here" move with his grappling gun in the warehouse fight. Surely, Snyder was inspired by Scorpion for that move

With a decent budget, I would think that could be a pretty successful little film series.

wnjcwjkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #183
wnjcwjkk
Side-Kick

This poll is a little bit stacked against Snyder. The first choice makes you sound like a gushing fanboy who is incapable of finding any criticism, and the other three, even "he has his moments" are all "meh". What about just "I think his style is suited to CBMs, and he has a great eye for comic accurate shots that pay homage to the source material". One thing I can say for Snyder is, his films look like a graphic novel come to life onscreen

Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 AM   #184
Bruce_Begins
I'm real when it's useful

Yeah, the option "He has his moments" is grudgingly acknowledging that some of his visuals are amazing while others are just serviceable, that's not a middle ground.

Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 AM   #185
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Well, I'm glad the option is there because I think it's accurate. lol

Who put Bella in the wych elm? Hans Van Houten did.
Greens
I know you're there, I know you can hear me.
You may have no tongue but there's nothing wrong with your ears.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #186
Spider-Aziz
Hey Willie

Quote:
Don't worry, Snyder's Liu Kang will be the most physically perfect Asian you'll ever get.
I was thinking of characterization.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The way Spider-Man movie is advertised, they might as well show the whole movie on YouTube before theatrical release.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #187
wnjcwjkk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot09 View Post
"This was kind of the opposite [of Breaking Bad] because we had the script and it wasn’t in the script. As we started then we worked on our script, I think we were in the middle of shooting and we started working on the outline for the next movie and where they go, and Zack said, ‘Oh my God let’s add this moment that is gonna pay off down the road, and we’ll find out more information.’” - Deborah Snyder.

There is thought behind his visuals. He storyboards all of them himself along with some other guys like Jay Oliva. Like Cetrone said in the interview, he is very hands on with the fight sequences and he and Damon Caro work it all out in excruciating detail. Great interview.
What does she mean by the opposite of Breaking Bad?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #188
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Breaking Bad is well written, BvS isn't

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 AM   #189
idiot09
Kicks side

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjcwjkk View Post
What does she mean by the opposite of Breaking Bad?
From the article :

"Did Snyder and Co. shoot the scene with the intention of figuring out how it would fit into the larger universe later on, a la Breaking Bad, or was there an overall plan already in place?

------

So it’s safe to assume that Flash’s message from the future will be explained, probably in next year’s Justice League movie, as opposed to this simply being a tease that has to be retrofitted into some future film."

http://collider.com/batman-v-superma...justice-league

idiot09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #190
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Movie-Man View Post
explain
Look at stuff like the finale of BvS: fairly arbitrary nigh-video game cutscene of fighting Doomsday. Or the finale of MoS, where things degenerate into "two invincible pinballs hitting each other". No real drama, no style, nothing relevantly interesting to their environment.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #191
BlueLanternKal
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Look at stuff like the finale of BvS: fairly arbitrary nigh-video game cutscene of fighting Doomsday. Or the finale of MoS, where things degenerate into "two invincible pinballs hitting each other". No real drama, no style, nothing relevantly interesting to their environment.
Kind of like that airport fight, except the former was nice to look at and the characters weren't pretending to be mad at each other like kids in a playground battle.

BlueLanternKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #192
JannTosh

amazing! Zack Snyder made Batman vs Superman watchable despite its terrible script because of his action and visuals

JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #193
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLanternKal View Post
Kind of like that airport fight, except the former was nice to look at and the characters weren't pretending to be mad at each other like kids in a playground battle.
Realistically drawn characters can be really mad each without wanting to murder each other. Like when I get into an argument with my wife I almost never want to stab her in the face with a radioactive spear.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #194
BlueLanternKal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Realistically drawn characters can be really mad each without wanting to murder each other. Like when I get into an argument with my wife I almost never want to stab her in the face with a radioactive spear.
Except your wife isn't an omnipotent alien who is indirectly responsible for the collapse of your billion dollar building, satellite, and death of dozens of employees.

I imagine marital arguments range from financial woes to what's for dinner?

Old 04-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #195
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Except your wife isn't an omnipotent alien who is indirectly responsible for the collapse of your billion dollar building, satellite, and death of dozens of employees.

I imagine marital arguments range from financial woes to what's for dinner?
It makes perfect sense that violence follows when a clinically depressed bully squares off against a homicidal maniac. The outcome is usually different when less broadly drawn characters have a disagreement.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #196
Drseuss
Side-Kick

are visuals just a smokescreen to criticise synder's movies?? because the comments have devolved into something else.

Drseuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #197
BlueLanternKal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
It makes perfect sense that violence follows when a clinically depressed bully squares off against a homicidal maniac. The outcome is usually different when less broadly drawn characters have a disagreement.
See this is the thing. A lot of people on the internet, I suspect, has lived sheltered lives.

If you've ever been in a confrontation to the point where it's become physical... people don't joke around like kindergarteners in a playground brawl. It's usually about taking the other guy down first and fast. Unless you're content with getting your ass whupped. Their isn't any room for jokes or laughs or half-seriousness. Praise Civil War all you want, but that airport fight destroyed all the stakes and versimilitude that came before it. Batman v Superman did an unquestionably much better job at the fights.

Edit: In fact, that **** was so fake that it came off as "horse play" and War Machine falling out of the sky is about the same as someone getting hurt "for real" and then everyone stops fighting to make sure that the person that got punched is okay. It's grade school ********e.

Last edited by BlueLanternKal; 04-22-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #198
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
See this is the thing. A lot of people on the internet, I suspect, has lived sheltered lives.

If you've ever been in a confrontation to the point where it's become physical... people don't joke around like kindergarteners in a playground brawl. It's usually about taking the other guy down first and fast. Unless you're content with getting your ass whupped. Their isn't any room for jokes or laughs or half-seriousness. Praise Civil War all you want, but that airport fight destroyed all the stakes and versimilitude that came before it. Batman v Superman did an unquestionably much better job at the fights.
I'm going to question that! The jokes and laughs in the airport squabble made sense in context, and the final confrontation wisely left them behind. The ridiculous swing from attempted murder to BFFs and the final cut scene in BvS ........well, they could have been better.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #199
BlueLanternKal

But they weren't BFFs. Unless you were watching a different movie. Supes and Bats working together at the end of BvS was like England and Russia working together in WWII.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #200
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
But they weren't BFFs. Unless you were watching a different movie. Supes and Bats working together at the end of BvS was like England and Russia working together in WWII.
We clearly didn't see the same film. I don't think stabby murder guy was lying when he said he was a friend of the tortured woman's bully son.