The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

View Poll Results: Is it real?
Yes 16 50.00%
No, it's a hoax 9 28.13%
It's something else 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #951
SomeOldGuy
Side-Kick
 
SomeOldGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,536
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

The twin Falcon landing back at the Cape was freaking amazing.

Props to Musk and SpaceX. Helluva job.

SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #952
Assassin32
Or: Rōnin Iscariot
 
Assassin32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 6,588
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Just dropping in to recommend the book The Stars of Heaven by Clifford A. Pickover.

__________________
"I'm cold like a midnight in Aspen/I am the president and the assassin . . . "

Assassin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #953
Teelie
Merc with a paintbrush
 
Teelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15,090
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Musk was actually downplaying further than 50/50 it was going to explode, he just hoped it would explode far enough away from the launch pad not to do serious damage. Taking off like this so successfully was a huge success in light of that (likely exaggerated) fear of failure.

Teelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #954
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 37,104
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Did they ever confirm the core rocket landed on the drone?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #955
Mondragon
.
 
Mondragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,558
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Spectacular! Take off and Landing(s).


They also added "Starman" in a Red Tesla Roadster on board view -



Crazy throwback to Heavy Metal 1981 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ


Last edited by Mondragon; 02-06-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #956
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate
 
Mike_D202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 7,624
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1


__________________
The Ghostbusters Reboot is the biggest attack on 80's nostalgia since Police Academy 7.
Mike_D202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #957
Elektra1
Ski bum
 
Elektra1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,585
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

This is amazing and hilarious.

Elektra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #958
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 49,404
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Do any of you guys watch any Space related YouTube channels?

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:20 AM   #959
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 37,104
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Do any of you guys watch any Space related YouTube channels?
Universe Today

Astronomy Cast

Weekly Space Hangout

Vintage Space

Deep Sky Videos

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #960
Teelie
Merc with a paintbrush
 
Teelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15,090
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

I like he is equipped with a selfie-stick.

Teelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #961
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 49,404
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

I watch Vintage Space.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #962
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate
 
Mike_D202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 7,624
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelie View Post
I like he is equipped with a selfie-stick.
I photoshopped that in

__________________
The Ghostbusters Reboot is the biggest attack on 80's nostalgia since Police Academy 7.
Mike_D202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #963
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 31,134
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_D202 View Post
I photoshopped that in
Honestly the whole concept was ludicrous enough, the selfie stick was totally believable. I didn't even question it.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #964
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: A beach somewhere.
Posts: 13,219
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

So......when does the rest of Heavy Metal start?

__________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -Philip K. Dick
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:27 PM   #965
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
KRYPTON INC.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 56,350
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1


__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: THE INCREDIBLES 2 Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #966
james-in-cali
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SF Bay area, California
Posts: 248
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Do any of you guys watch any Space related YouTube channels?
I watch too many to count! Curious Droid, John Michael Godier, Joe Scott, SciShow Space and Vsauce. I think the "message for the future" episode of Vsauce might be my favorite 20 minutes of anything I've ever seen. The other ones I listed are great for current space related news.

james-in-cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #967
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
KRYPTON INC.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 56,350
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1


__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: THE INCREDIBLES 2 Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #968
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 37,104
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

From today's spacewalk


__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #969
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
KRYPTON INC.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 56,350
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

You know... Over the decades the way we view astronauts has changed. I think strangely they have kinda been domesticated. We honor them still obviously but going into orbit, even with all the inherent risk, has become somewhat commonplace and we celebrate, rightfully, the intelligence of the scientists we send up over the bravery it takes to actually do it. Well... That shot of the space walk brings it all back to the gonads of steel those men and women we send up via rockets have to do what they do.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #970
:eek:
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,547
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Astronomer Announces He Has Discovered ... Mars

https://www.livescience.com/62094-as...vers-mars.html

:eek: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #971
Mondragon
.
 
Mondragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,558
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by :eek: View Post
Astronomer Announces He Has Discovered ... Mars

https://www.livescience.com/62094-as...vers-mars.html
LOL, how embarrassing.

Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #972
Venom'sDad
Enter The Sym
 
Venom'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,674
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Come on now, don't be like that. How many of you knew there was a planet out there called Mars?








See! I thought so. God speed Dunsby.

__________________
___________________________________
My JL Trailer * The Unholy Trinity of Venom * The Sinister 6 * Marvel's FNSM
Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #973
Doug_Moore
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 549
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Alien skeleton mystery solved.

Doug_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #974
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 49,404
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Mars is a better name for a planet than ABC12345.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #975
Mondragon
.
 
Mondragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,558
Default Re: Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Moore View Post
Space and Astronomy thread?
Does adding click-bait catch word "Alien" to a sadly deformed human skeleton count as Space and Astronomy?


Last edited by Mondragon; 03-25-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.