The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 42,977
Default The Future of The Defenders

Recently, it was announced that The Punisher was renewed by Marvel/Netflix for a 2nd season. This bought 2 points up for me:

1 - Netflix evidently still has the distribution rights to the existing Defenders characters passed 2018. Speculation was they may lose the shows once Disney starts their streaming service, especially when losing Marvel and Star Wars movies was such a big deal in the media, but that does not look to be the case.

2 - The Defenders has yet to be renewed for a 2nd season, and if the only Marvel/Netflix show not announced for an additional season. This is interesting. Many reports state Defenders had less viewers than the main shows did, and the Defenders just didn't catch fire the way I think Netflix/Marvel wanted.

Do you guys think we are done with the Defenders show itself? Luke Cage set pics show that other characters will still crossover with each other, but do you think another big Defenders team-up will happen? Are they maybe waiting until after Punisher season 2 to do this? Do you think a 2nd season is even needed?

What do you guys think? For me, I like these shows will remain on Netflix as I think that allows them to be more adult. But, at the same time, Netflix is unlikely to get new characters, so others like Blade and Moon Knight, who would excel on the Netflix platform, likely won't make the jump there. That part is a bit disappointing. But, it is good for the existing shows. As for a 2nd Defenders season, I like the characters when they interacted, but the Hand and plot was weak. If there is a 2nd season, a much more interesting threat is needed. I feel like this show was boring in that regard. Further, was Defenders doomed due to the crossover nature in a way? For the Avengers, it required watching 5 movies to catch up, with Defenders it required 5 season of 13 episodes all being about an hour each! That is a much bigger commitment. Is that too much to ask an audience? I think it can work, but is definitely a hurdle.


Last edited by Spider-Fan; 12-13-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
psylockolussus
Fierce User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion
Posts: 33,989
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

I think there will be another team up now with The Punisher in the mix after IF2 and TP2. As for the title, it would be Defenders: Insert Subtitle.

__________________
X - W O M E N
Dazzler • Jubilee • Phoenix • Polaris • Psylocke • Rogue • Shadowcat • Storm • White Queen
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Random490
Side-Kick
 
Random490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,232
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

I think Defenders season 2 is just more down the line. It's more like an event series and thus can be more irregular when released. They want to get the second season of each show out first before doing another season of Defenders. So there's no point in green lighting a season until you're ready to schedule/start pre-production. Jessica Jones is in post-production, I believe Luke Cage is almost finished filming then Daredevil season 3 will begin production with Iron Fist season 2 shortly after. So it will probably mean they won't even have to think about Defenders season 2 for another year. All this tells me is that they want a Punisher season 2 before Defenders season 2 and want to lock in the creative talent now. Maybe there's a story reason for doing another punisher season before Defenders. Or maybe Netflix wants to keep Punisher hype going figuring that Defenders could use some space from Iron Fist season 2.

So if there's a Jessica Jones season 3 announced/scheduled after Punisher season 2, then I'd be worried. Also some reports state it had less viewership but I recalled also hearing it was one of the most binged shows of the year. Considering no one but netflix has the actual numbers I wouldn't really look too deeply into any of them. Defenders is inherently different than the rest of the series because it's a crossover series and can really only be effective if there's time to develop the characters separately.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Iceman
Infinity War!
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 108,860
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

I hope we get more Defenders, but properly go for it next time. And Punisher would be a great addition to the team.

__________________
Xbox GT: BAHAMUT ZERO X 145,527 G
X-MEN - AVENGERS - JUSTICE LEAGUE
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
dmcreif
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 222
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
I think Defenders season 2 is just more down the line. It's more like an event series and thus can be more irregular when released. They want to get the second season of each show out first before doing another season of Defenders. So there's no point in green lighting a season until you're ready to schedule/start pre-production. Jessica Jones is in post-production, I believe Luke Cage is almost finished filming then Daredevil season 3 will begin production with Iron Fist season 2 shortly after. So it will probably mean they won't even have to think about Defenders season 2 for another year. All this tells me is that they want a Punisher season 2 before Defenders season 2 and want to lock in the creative talent now. Maybe there's a story reason for doing another punisher season before Defenders. Or maybe Netflix wants to keep Punisher hype going figuring that Defenders could use some space from Iron Fist season 2.

So if there's a Jessica Jones season 3 announced/scheduled after Punisher season 2, then I'd be worried. Also some reports state it had less viewership but I recalled also hearing it was one of the most binged shows of the year. Considering no one but netflix has the actual numbers I wouldn't really look too deeply into any of them. Defenders is inherently different than the rest of the series because it's a crossover series and can really only be effective if there's time to develop the characters separately.
Daredevil season 3 and Iron Fist season 2 are already shooting, and Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are in the post-production cycle.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick
 
Mike Murdock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The other Hell's Kitchen
Posts: 9,302
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

I don't think they're inherently done, but I also don't think they're in any rush. They pretty much had the show before they had the story idea. I suspect, if they want to do Defenders again, they'd want to do the opposite.

__________________
Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Random490
Side-Kick
 
Random490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,232
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcreif View Post
Daredevil season 3 and Iron Fist season 2 are already shooting, and Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are in the post-production cycle.
Oh, then I guess we'll hear about Defenders in maybe 6 months. When one of those are about to enter post production. They also have to plan around the actor schedule to get all together for filming. So there's no rush.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
dmcreif
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 222
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
Oh, then I guess we'll hear about Defenders in maybe 6 months. When one of those are about to enter post production. They also have to plan around the actor schedule to get all together for filming. So there's no rush.
I also definitely imagine they want time to get some good story ideas thought up.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,184
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

JJS2 drops in March. We should see LCS2 drop in the summer. DDS3 is filming now and we should see it drop end of 2018. While Iron Fist Season 2 starts filming soon and we should see early 2019. Probably see Punisher season 2 begin filming by summer so we see it dropping summer 2019. So I'd reckon Fall 2019 for Defenders (with it set to begin filming late 2018/early 2019)

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 42,977
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

I was on Netflix last night, and something stood out to me:

All the Netflix Marvel shows show the amount of seasons when you scroll on them...except The Defenders. While it says Daredevil 2 seasons, Punisher 1 season, etc...it lists The Defenders as Limited Series.

Is that a ruh roh to anyone else?

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick
 
Mike Murdock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The other Hell's Kitchen
Posts: 9,302
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Not really. I think it was just that it has eight episodes. They promoted it differently from the beginning. If they wanted to have more episodes, there's nothing stopping them.

__________________
Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
Darepool
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Planet Kirby
Posts: 2,072
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

As much as I enjoyed it I don't need to see the Defenders again. Focus on the solo series going forward.

Darepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,184
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

I hope we again see matchup. More scenes between them though. A bigger threat with tons to lose as well.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #14
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 51,605
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

There was never a guarantee for anything beyond the first 60 episodes. It just so happens that the shows were all mostly very successful and mostly received fantastic reviews. So they were able to quickly turnaround a second season for Daredevil.

But from the beginning of the deal, it was 60 episodes, meaning 13 episodes for the first season of Iron Fist, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, and eight episodes for Defenders.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 42,977
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Runaways was recently renewed, and that was announced quickly after the season ended. To this point, nothing on Defenders or Inhumans for that matter. Inhumans I think we all assume is cancelled unless shenanigans happens. I am starting to think Defenders is a 50/50 proposition for an additional season.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
Random490
Side-Kick
 
Random490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,232
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Runaways was recently renewed, and that was announced quickly after the season ended. To this point, nothing on Defenders or Inhumans for that matter. Inhumans I think we all assume is cancelled unless shenanigans happens. I am starting to think Defenders is a 50/50 proposition for an additional season.
Well it's important to remember a season 2 of Runaways will probably debut in a year while Defenders season 2 will still be 2 or 3 years off. And with Inhumans only being 8 episodes if they wanted to continue with that format of 8 episodes there's still plenty of time before they have to make that call.

There's a difference between seeing the reception of a show and needing to schedule the writers and actors for filming next year, then waiting a few years before actually having to make those plans. Defenders is really a unique series in this regard, it's not a yearly show at best it'll be a biennial series but could also be a triannual show. It's also a show that's built upon other shows that need to go through production first as well.

But yeah, I would be shocked if Inhumans were renewed.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #17
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick
 
UltimatePyro9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 391
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
There was never a guarantee for anything beyond the first 60 episodes. It just so happens that the shows were all mostly very successful and mostly received fantastic reviews. So they were able to quickly turnaround a second season for Daredevil.

But from the beginning of the deal, it was 60 episodes, meaning 13 episodes for the first season of Iron Fist, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, and eight episodes for Defenders.
If that's the case, is it possible for Netflix to produce shows for other Marvel characters such as Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, White Tiger (she was mentioned in Jessica Jones), etc.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 7,678
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePyro9 View Post
If that's the case, is it possible for Netflix to produce shows for other Marvel characters such as Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, White Tiger (she was mentioned in Jessica Jones), etc.
It's not possible because Netflix is just the distributor. Marvel TV and ABC Studios are the ones that foot the bill for every show.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #19
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 51,605
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePyro9 View Post
If that's the case, is it possible for Netflix to produce shows for other Marvel characters such as Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, White Tiger (she was mentioned in Jessica Jones), etc.
I think any future Marvel TV should will have to made outside of Netflix. I'm not sure how the Netflix contracts work and they have exclusivity on any of these shows for a certain period of time.

It seems like all the shows that debuted on Netflix are staying on Netflix for now for their next seasons.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #20
Random490
Side-Kick
 
Random490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,232
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
It's not possible because Netflix is just the distributor. Marvel TV and ABC Studios are the ones that foot the bill for every show.
I believe ultimately Netflix is paying for these shows. ABC Studios make it and Netflix pays for it. (ABC puts up production cost and Netflix pays them back with revenue, likely based on preformance) If netflix doesn't want to pay for it then it won't get made. It is possible that Neflix will want to order more shows, but unlikely considering they already have 6 Marvel shows, there's a limit to the resources ABC Studios has to produce more shows at once(or else risk adding more time between season), and Disney may rather have the characters for their own streaming service. Netflix has no interest in becoming the "Marvel Only Network", they want a variety of premium programming to gain more subscribers, So it's unlikely they'll add more shows. I'm certain there's strict exclusivity since that's the cornerstone of Netflix business plan.

As I understand it here's the process of creating a MCU show. Marvel TV has an idea the check with Marvel Studios if there are any plans for those characters. With the all clear they create a pitch to take to different networks. Most likely they have to first offer the shows to ABC, Freeform, and now the new Disney streaming service. If all of those networks turn down the series they can then shop the show to different networks, including Netflix. I believe right now New Warriors is in that position, a pilot has been made and both ABC and Freeform has turned it down so they are now shopping it to other networks.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 7,678
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
I believe ultimately Netflix is paying for these shows. ABC Studios make it and Netflix pays for it. (ABC puts up production cost and Netflix pays them back with revenue, likely based on performance) If netflix doesn't want to pay for it then it won't get made. It is possible that Neflix will want to order more shows, but unlikely considering they already have 6 Marvel shows, there's a limit to the resources ABC Studios has to produce more shows at once (or else risk adding more time between season), and Disney may rather have the characters for their own streaming service. Netflix has no interest in becoming the "Marvel Only Network", they want a variety of premium programming to gain more subscribers, So it's unlikely they'll add more shows. I'm certain there's strict exclusivity since that's the cornerstone of Netflix business plan.

As I understand it here's the process of creating a MCU show. Marvel TV has an idea the check with Marvel Studios if there are any plans for those characters. With the all clear they create a pitch to take to different networks. Most likely they have to first offer the shows to ABC, Freeform, and now the new Disney streaming service. If all of those networks turn down the series they can then shop the show to different networks, including Netflix. I believe right now New Warriors is in that position, a pilot has been made and both ABC and Freeform has turned it down so they are now shopping it to other networks.
As a distributor they do make a deal on what gets ordered, but again actual production is still on the producers. As far as ABC & Marvel, it definitely feels like the other way around or much more collaborative, which is likely the stark contrast of how autonomous Marvel Studios is.
Netflix is losing all or most of its Disney & Fox content anyways
and they gave Millar the go ahead to adapt his properties.
Concerning the Defenders' shows, they certainly won't look or feel any different if the distributor is FX.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #22
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,184
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

If we see them again, we need a larger budget

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #23
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 51,605
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

If not a larger budget, I'd at least like a better villain/villain(s) and a better scheme than what we ended up with.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #24
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,184
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
If not a larger budget, I'd at least like a better villain/villain(s) and a better scheme than what we ended up with.
Amen to that

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:57 AM   #25
batdude
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Albq. New Mexico
Posts: 2,253
Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Well, I think were going to get second seasons of Jessica, Luke and the Fist first. If a third DD and a second Punisher is in the mix too, worry about this at the end of the year or beginning of the next.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.