The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 06-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #151
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Default Re: Jon Favreau not signed on for sequel?!?!

Im curious why Jon is nervous about a two year space between the Iron Man movies...didnt Spider-Man 2 come out two years after the first Spidey movie, and go on to be one of the most critically acclaimed and finacially successful comic movies of all time?

Perhaps his lack of expierience and confidence is really the only thing in question here...

Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #152
RonStoppablefan
Harry Potter fan

Come on Marvel, think about what your doing. Don't do a Heroes Volume 2 mistake.

Fantastic Four fan.
Wolverine fan.
SmallVille fan.
Heroes fan.
RonStoppablefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #153
Marvin
Side-Kick

how long did superman take

Old 06-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #154
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicGeek View Post
Im curious why Jon is nervous about a two year space between the Iron Man movies...didnt Spider-Man 2 come out two years after the first Spidey movie, and go on to be one of the most critically acclaimed and finacially successful comic movies of all time?

I was thinking the same thing. He uses the reasoning that BB/TDK had three years between, but that's only because Nolan spent his time making The Prestige. I doubt Favs is going to be making any films in between, so I don't see the problem. I imagine they'll end up making the 2010 date.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #155
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewySpider View Post
I was thinking the same thing. He uses the reasoning that BB/TDK had three years between, but that's only because Nolan spent his time making The Prestige. I doubt Favs is going to be making any films in between, so I don't see the problem. I imagine they'll end up making the 2010 date.
Favreau is actually attached to three films, all set for a 2009 release. Me & My Monster (As a director), Neanderthals (As a writer/producer), and I Love You, Man (As an actor). On top of that, Doney Jr. is playing Hugh Heffner in a bio-pic set for 2010 release. All of this should keep them busy, and would explain why Jon doesn't want to rush a sequel.

Last edited by Hotwire; 06-12-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #156
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well with Spider-man 2 they got started very quickly as I recall. They weren't up against an actor's strike either. They also really seemed to know what they wanted to do.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #157
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal'Akai View Post
Favreau may not be making a movie in the next couple years, but Downey Jr. is. He's playing Hugh Heffner in a bio-pic. So, he's gonna be a little busy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he waiting on a script before signing to that project?

TheVileOne: Good point, I hadn't thought about the strike. I hope to hell it isn't as dragged out as the writer's one or, god forbid, longer.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #158
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanos View Post
Favereau got 4 million for the first film so if he wants more money for the sequel then I can see why the studio would be hesitant to go much more.
That's chickenfeed for the director of a major blockbuster. Especially since he reportedly didn't get back end compensation. Favreau probably could have made more over that span by acting in multiple movies. Had less stress too.

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #159
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Favreau didn't sound too unreasonable with what he was looking for when he was on Howard Stern.

For one thing, all the trash that Murphy writes about Favreau just angers me more.

- CM Punk
Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #160
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Take a look at the new default image on Jon Favreau's Iron Man group page:

- CM Punk
Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #161
Chewy
REDACTED

Where's Mandarin?

I'm starting a new rumor: No Mandarin in Iron Man 2.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #162
tamron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Take a look at the new default image on Jon Favreau's Iron Man group page:

Very interesting. I hope it means they've got the deal done (if not on paper, at least in principle) and we can put all of this to rest.

tamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #163
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewySpider View Post
The three year gap is always better than the two year gap. The only reason I favor the two as opposed to the three is that Downey is in his mid forties and I don't want him getting too old and fat too soon. That said these people have other projects lined up. RDJ has time for what? One film as a different character bewteen now and 2011? Maybe he can fit another low budget project in there somwhere but that is virtually zero time off. I'd be a little annoyed at Marvel for this slate if I were Rob or Jon.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #164
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamron View Post
Very interesting. I hope it means they've got the deal done (if not on paper, at least in principle) and we can put all of this to rest.
Agreed. That seems like a very encouraging sign.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #165
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

He might not have time at all if he goes on strike in a few weeks.

The WGA strike lasted over three and a half months. That's a whole quarter of a year. Tons of projects and deals were messed up and lost because of the strike. People lost their jobs.

Let's say the strike does happen and gets wrapped up by say August/September to be lucky. OK, then actually Downey would have a little time to do another feature before an Iron Man sequel is set to film. And then there's the start date of the sequel. Tony Stark as a character was in almost every scene in Iron Man. One would imagine he'll be integral to the new movie. About how many scenes in Iron Man had no Stark? I think about 2-3.

I'm not sure what the truth is. But for one thing. A bunch of people here you know who you are were ready to jump on and crucify Marvel before there was anything really concrete about this story. You trusted a dirt rag like LATINO REVIEW, and a poor commentator like EL MAYIMBE who actually didn't even report anything legit on the subject. He only regurgitated the unconfirmed IESB story with a bunch of "inside sources" and "junior sources".

Then everyone was saying Marvel was doing too much too fast yadda yadda yadda. OK. There might be some validity there. But people only started getting anti-Marvel about it when this internet rumorz story broke out.

All Favreau really said he wasn't sure if the start date was realistic. And who knows. Movies had to have been pushed back before a couple months a quarter or what not.

I don't think the quick to crucify and villify Marvel was fair at all. Keep in mind they did hire Favreau who did a bang up job. But let's not downplay their role in these movies either.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 06-12-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #166
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I am not ready to say IM2 can't be done by the release date yet. Let's see where things go, and Marvel shouldn't be crucified for what they are attempting to do. If anything, they should be praised for having a big picture (when any other studio really thinks one at a time with these movies). If all goes as planned for Marvel, awesome! If it doesn't, oh well, something gets pushed back a year. At least they have a plan.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #167
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Yes it is ambitious, no question.

But yes that's a great point. Marvel is at least putting a plan down and letting us know about it. They want to make Thor, Cap, Iron Man 2, then Avengers. I mean that's great. I mean of course best laid plans/execution all that. But Marvel is at least getting the groundwork done, which Iron Man and Hulk are a big part of.

WB NEVER does this though. WB owns one of the greatest groups of characters and intellectual property of all time and they can't do anything close to this. Marvel has to make due with a certain chunk of characters but damn they are making it happen.

What sucks the most is that we couldn't see these crossovers before because of dumb studio politics. Harry Knowles made a great point in the Hulk review. It doesn't matter if Hulk is Universal and Iron Man is Paramount. Iron Man is still in Hulk and it doesn't matter. Marvel made that happen. Do you guys realize how huge that is? Fox would never do this. Sony would never do this.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 06-12-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #168
FaT_tONle
Banned User

I don't think fans overreacted... the reports were there... confirmed from multiple sources. Fans have a right to be up in arms... the idea of a director change when a sequel is less than a year away from filming would make any fan boy pull their own hair out.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #169
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
WB NEVER does this though. WB owns one of the greatest groups of characters and intellectual property of all time and they can't do anything close to this. Marvel has to make due with a certain chunk of characters but damn they are making it happen.
I wish WB was as ambitious as Marvel Studios with their superhero projects. But WB could clearly care less, they just give half ass attempts at other superhero films outside of Batman and Superman. And then they blow a whole lot of hot air when it comes to discussing those projects. And a big difference, unfortunately for fans of DC characters, is that WB has so much to lie back on outside of superhero films. Marvel Studios has no choice but to make superhero film after superhero film.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #170
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd argue that the scope and resources thrown at Harry Potter is just as impressive. How many out there thought that they'd have to recast the principal actors by now? Or New Line (WB's sister company) gambling on LOTRs with an unknown director.

Yes, it would be nice if they threw some of those resources at DC's superheroes, but superheroes aren't the only success story in Hollywood. Heck, the fact that they're attempting WATCHMEN is an ambitious and gutsy choice.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #171
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
Yes, it would be nice if they threw some of those resources at DC's superheroes, but superheroes aren't the only success story in Hollywood. Heck, the fact that they're attempting WATCHMEN is an ambitious and gutsy choice.
That's fair. I give them credit for bringing Watchmen to the screen and allowing Snyder to do it in the manner he wants to.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:41 AM   #172
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The only reason WB is attempting Watchmen is because Snyder came onto the project and he got cred with the execs after Dawn of the Dead and 300.

Harry Potter is just one series of books. DC Universe is a series of hundreds of books and characters. Also it was an easy property to attract so much interest at the time.

The confirmations of these rumors hold about as much weight as the accusations of Barak Obama being a Muslim terrorist.

- CM Punk
Old 06-13-2008, 12:57 AM   #173
dark_b
Side-Kick

WB has enough projects and enough money. they dont need DC characters. marvel has to do this because they are ''marvel''. its their own studio now.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #174
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only reason WB is attempting Watchmen is because Snyder came onto the project and he got cred with the execs after Dawn of the Dead and 300.

Harry Potter is just one series of books. DC Universe is a series of hundreds of books and characters. Also it was an easy property to attract so much interest at the time.
Yeah, so? Does it make Watchmen any less ambitious and gutsy? An R-rated, complex, superhero deconstruction that some think will be impossible to pull off satisfactorly to the fans isn't rolling the dice? Dismissing the ambition and risk of that project because of past success is like dismissing Iron Man 2 because Iron Man was a success.

I'm sure there's a WB exec rolling his eyes at the idea that Harry Potter, with a very accelerated schedule, relying on child actors with no real box office stars attached, and with an ending that hadn't been written yet, was easy and unambitious to pull off. Or the idea that a company that wants to make 6 movies in 4 years is somehow more ambitious than a company that makes 6 movies every 4 months.

It's very easy to suggest that success was a no brainer with hindsight, but if it was so obvious back then J.K. Rowling would be a lot richer than she already is. We've seen plenty of franchises burn out after a successful first or second outing or fail outright, The Golden Compass, that I think it's a mistake to just dismiss how much work, effort, and ambition goes into sustaining a project this long. How ambitious and risky was the 2-shot of Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima to pull off?

It's great that Marvel Studios has had one huge success and, at the very least, looks like they're going to make money with their second movie. And that they have plans. But, I think it's a mistake to dismiss another company because their priorities are on things other than superheroes, even though they make those too and other non-superhero comic book properties, as unambitious or lacking in plans.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #175
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
Yeah, so? Does it make Watchmen any less ambitious and gutsy? An R-rated, complex, superhero deconstruction that some think will be impossible to pull off satisfactorly to the fans isn't rolling the dice? Dismissing the ambition and risk of that project because of past success is like dismissing Iron Man 2 because Iron Man was a success.
I think what Marvel is doing is more ambitious.

Quote:
I'm sure there's a WB exec rolling his eyes at the idea that Harry Potter, with a very accelerated schedule, relying on child actors with no real box office stars attached, and with an ending that hadn't been written yet, was easy and unambitious to pull off. Or the idea that a company that wants to make 6 movies in 4 years is somehow more ambitious than a company that makes 6 movies every 4 months.
Something like Harry Potter didn't need movie stars. WB more than likely saw printed money.

Quote:
It's great that Marvel Studios has had one huge success and, at the very least, looks like they're going to make money with their second movie. And that they have plans. But, I think it's a mistake to dismiss another company because their priorities are on things other than superheroes, even though they make those too and other non-superhero comic book properties, as unambitious or lacking in plans.
Marvel only focuses on superheroes because that's what they are. WB is a division of one of the most powerful communication conglomerates in the world. They have much more resources than Marvel, yet they still can't do jack with the DC Universe that they also entirely own.

- CM Punk