Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #76
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
They just did it like a year ago with Secret Wars (which was frickin' amazing if anyone hasn't read it.)
The last Marvel event I read was Fear Itself. I couldn't even finish it and I've been pretty sour on Marvel ever since. I still get Daredevil (my favorite character), Moon Knight, the Star Wars stuff and a few others but that's about it. For the most part, I'd rather go back and read the older stories that I haven't read yet on the Marvel side.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #77
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

I have been planning to re-read Millers Daredevil for a while.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #78
CaptainWagner
Bob Newby: Superhero

Quote:
They just did it like a year ago with Secret Wars (which was frickin' amazing if anyone hasn't read it.)
But did Secret Wars really change anything? ANAD and NOW! are just more of the same. Rebirth wasn't just a line wide relaunch, it was an editorial shift, which is what Marvel is in need of.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #79
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Perhaps I am mistaken, but aren't Marvel doing better in sales in the last month or two? It is funny, as I mostly come across criticism of their comics these days.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #80
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
The last Marvel event I read was Fear Itself. I couldn't even finish it and I've been pretty sour on Marvel ever since. I still get Daredevil (my favorite character), Moon Knight, the Star Wars stuff and a few others but that's about it. For the most part, I'd rather go back and read the older stories that I haven't read yet on the Marvel side.
My marvel intake has been slim to none, as well. But Secret Wars is crazy good. It's Jonathan Hickman, so you know it's quality.

I need to get back onto Daredevil. I dropped off in the middle of Waid's run forever ago (which I remember being very good). I hear Soule's current run has been good.

Jeff Lemire's current run on Moon Knight has been great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade W View Post
I have been planning to re-read Millers Daredevil for a while.
You read Bendis' run? Its ome of the best Daredevil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
But did Secret Wars really change anything? ANAD and NOW! are just more of the same. Rebirth wasn't just a line wide relaunch, it was an editorial shift, which is what Marvel is in need of.
Yeah I suppose. I mean, it gave them the opportunity to fix all those things, it was the intention. They've been screwing it up though. Marvel doesn't need some big reboot, they just need to stop making crappy comics. A lot of their second tier books/characters are quite good. Ms. Marvel is some of the best stuff on the shelf. It's just most of their top tier books and characters which have been crap. Though, Jason Aaron on Thor has been great. The new Hulk book which just launched shows good promise.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #81
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Quote:
You read Bendis' run? Its ome of the best Daredevil.
Yup. It was a great run IMO too.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #82
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Miller/Janson, Noncenti/Romita Jr., Smith/Quesada, Loeb/Sale, Bendis/Maleev, Brubaker/Lark (underrated imo), Waid/Samnee. I loved them all.

Actually haven't read much before Miller got the book.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #83
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/01/01/g...rth-follow-up/

Old 01-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #84
CaptainWagner

Quote:
Perhaps I am mistaken, but aren't Marvel doing better in sales in the last month or two? It is funny, as I mostly come across criticism of their comics these days.
Their sales were boosted by Civil War and the new set of relaunches. Unfortuantely, when you look at the wider sales numbers, most of the ongoing titles are disappointing in sales.

It's not that they aren't putting out good books. I'm personally very excited for Occupy Avengers, and there's plenty of quality books in print, but they don't get attention. The editorial strategy is just a bit of a mess right now.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #85
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Miller/Janson, Noncenti/Romita Jr., Smith/Quesada, Loeb/Sale, Bendis/Maleev, Brubaker/Lark (underrated imo), Waid/Samnee. I loved them all.
Yup. All of those are great Daredevil runs, I'd recommend any of them. Daredevil is a great character and he's been lucky to have had good creators exploit his potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
It's not that they aren't putting out good books. I'm personally very excited for Occupy Avengers, and there's plenty of quality books in print, but they don't get attention. The editorial strategy is just a bit of a mess right now.
Occupy Avengers may only be two issues in, but I quite enjoy it so far. The story itself hasn't been anything great, but Walker handles the characters so well and his relationships are very entertaining. David Walker is proving to be a really solid writer. His Shaft comics are really good, Power Man and Iron fist is a blast, and I can't promote his run on Nighthawk enough. It's recently been collected in trade, read it.

Last edited by Motown Marvel; 01-02-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #86
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Yup. All of those are great Daredevil runs, I'd recommend any of them. Daredevil is a great character and he's been lucky to have had good creators exploit his potential.

Occupy Avengers may only be two issues in, but I quite enjoy it so far. The story itself hasn't been anything great, but Walker handles the characters so well and his relationships are very entertaining. David Walker is proving to be a really solid writer. His Shaft comics are really good, Power Man and Iron fist is a blast, and I can't promote his run on Nighthawk enough. It's recently been collected in trade, read it.
So they did release Nighthawk in a trade? I heard that they were cancelling it.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #87
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

What do people here think of Watchmen being used in Rebirth?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #88
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Look up some recent articles on Bleeding Cool about that. Marvel sends free issues to inflate the sales numbers. Say a store didn't order a single issue of Title X, but Marvel still sends them 50 free issues of that book. The store doesn't pay for those issues but are still stuck paying for the shipping and have to find space in their store (tiny store for some even). I saw/read that some stores are even forced to put those free issues in the "dollar bin" or give them out for free for buying Title Y because they know they won't be able to sell Title X. And in the end, those 50 issues of Title X still count toward the Diamond sales charts.

Also, Marvel has their notorious variants system where stores have to order 150% of Cover A to qualify to order Cover B...

Old 01-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #89
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
I like it. Watchmen isn't sacred to me like it is to many others. I'm fine with the characters being used. I'm really looking forward to the event and I think them being behind the changes and lost history of the DCU is a very creative use of the property.

Btw are the new Wildstorm books taking place in the DCU or in their own universe?

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #90
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
So they did release Nighthawk in a trade? I heard that they were cancelling it.
It was cancelled after 6 issues, but those six issues were a complete story arc and what has been collected in trade. It's only been out a couple weeks now.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #91
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
I don't like it. But despite that, it's happening, so I'll check it out. Thankfully, it's Geoff John's who is handling it. So even thought I don't like it out of principle, I know he will utilize it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Look up some recent articles on Bleeding Cool about that. Marvel sends free issues to inflate the sales numbers. Say a store didn't order a single issue of Title X, but Marvel still sends them 50 free issues of that book. The store doesn't pay for those issues but are still stuck paying for the shipping and have to find space in their store (tiny store for some even). I saw/read that some stores are even forced to put those free issues in the "dollar bin" or give them out for free for buying Title Y because they know they won't be able to sell Title X. And in the end, those 50 issues of Title X still count toward the Diamond sales charts.

Also, Marvel has their notorious variants system where stores have to order 150% of Cover A to qualify to order Cover B...
Marvel can't force a shop to sell any book or force them to pay for shipping on books they didn't order. But they have in fact been sending free books to shops which allows them to count towards their "number of books shipped in a month".

Old 01-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #92
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
It all depends on the execution. Tonally, I have trouble seeing Watchmen jibe with the Rebirth or New 52 worlds.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #93
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
It was cancelled after 6 issues, but those six issues were a complete story arc and what has been collected in trade. It's only been out a couple weeks now.
Oh okay, I thought I heard due to low sales, they were canceling the trade release. I could've just misread that.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 01-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #94
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Am I wrong to be shocked that I visited my local comics shop yesterday and they didn't have a copy of Batman: War on Crime?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #95
CaptainWagner

Quote:
I'm planning on picking up that trade eventually. And the Power Man/Iron Fist trades. I really regret not adding that to my pull list over some of the books I stuck with only to be disappointed by in the long run.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #96
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Are there any animated CB movies people here are looking forward to in particular? I am looking forward to The Judas Contract, even though I probably shouldn't. They managed to make a middling movie out of one of DC's best ever stories in The Killing Joke. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again with another in TJC. Hopefully Nightwing will have a much bigger role than Damian and they will get a better voice actor for Deathstroke. The one in Son of Batman was terrible IMO.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 AM   #97
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Are there any animated CB movies people here are looking forward to in particular? I am looking forward to The Judas Contract, even though I probably shouldn't. They managed to make a middling movie out of one of DC's best ever stories in The Killing Joke. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again with another in TJC. Hopefully Nightwing will have a much bigger role than Damian and they will get a better voice actor for Deathstroke. The one in Son of Batman was terrible IMO.
I'm mostly looking forward to Judas Contract and whatever the hell Bruce Timm has cooked up for this Batman and Harley Quinn film.

I have a passing curiosity about Justice League Dark but if only Jason O Mara's Batman wasn't in it......

FWIW, Sam Liu did say Nightwing would have a bigger role in this Judas Contract film so there's hope. I'm just left wondering at times how people can read any comic with Damian in it and not want to strangle him if he's the a--hole he comes off as in these animations.

WWE will always be the clear #1 company in pro wrestling as long as their next best competition is TNA, and TNA will always be the second-rate Mickey Mouse outfit with the creativity of a Xerox copier
Old 01-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #98
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/dc-co...n-revival.html

Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #99
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

I have been re-reading old Batman comics with Ra's al Ghul in them recently (for the first time in a long while), the ones with his very early appearances. I think B:TAS, Batman Begins and Arrow did a better job introducing him and making him come across very powerful and dominant with how they used him than those early comics did in his first big story with Bruce (ending in issue 244). In one of his first appearances in the comics, he is almost killed by a scientist called Striss, whom he was already suspicious of working against him. Bruce knocked him out early in his hideout in BB, but Bruce was a highly skilled fighter at the time and Ra's trusted him much, much more than he did Striss. He had little reason to suspect Bruce would do that. In the comics, he doesn't beat Batman outright in a sword fight, as it is a scorpion stinging him and poisoning Batman that leaves him unable to continue the fight. Once Batman recovers, be beats Ra's very quickly. The only real beating he gives Batman in those appearances is when he emerges from the Lazarus pit and throws him against a cable car, when his abilities are enhanced by the pit.

In the animated series, while he did not beat Batman, he at least had his big plan that almost killed all those people. Ras did not have that in his earlier appearances in the comics. In Batman Begins, he comes across more formidable IMO and on Arrow, he destroys Oliver Queen in their first fight. Once again, I should say that I am just referring to Ra's al Ghuls earlier appearances in the comics, and not comic book Ra's in general. There is no denying that Ra's comes across as very resourceful and intelligent in his early comic appearances though, as well as a very skilled fighter. Despite me thinking he was used better in other mediums, he was still a formidable and worthy foe in those early appearances.

Last edited by Slade W; 01-08-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #100
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:

Actually haven't read much before Miller got the book.
If you get the time you should read it. I haven't read anything past Miller yet so can't compare it to those you mentioned but I really like it. Most issues feel kinda stand-alone but there are some interesting villains and stories there.
I personally really enjoyed the issues where he was together with Black Widow.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Closed Thread