The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Who should challenge in 2020?
Bernie Sanders 16 14.68%
Hillary Clinton (again) 2 1.83%
Elizabeth Warren 15 13.76%
Cory Booker 10 9.17%
Sherrod Brown 4 3.67%
Kirsten Gillibrand 0 0%
Julian Castro 1 0.92%
Kamala Harris 5 4.59%
Oprah Winfrey 3 2.75%
Keith Ellison 0 0%
Michelle Obama 6 5.50%
Tom Hanks 5 4.59%
Kanye 7 6.42%
Joe Biden 10 9.17%
Andrew Cuomo 1 0.92%
Someone else 24 22.02%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #776
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who should challenge Trump in 2020?

A Corbynesque approach will only lead to the same kind of divisive discourse that got Trump elected in the first place - there needs to be a centrist. Whoever it is needs to be able to unite people, not further divide them.

DeadPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #777
DlAMONDZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anybody who doesn't spend their weekdays in Washington is likely to have an advantage
Yup. Trump is making politicians out to look like devils who can't be trusted

Which is why the best course of action is getting a well liked celebrity. Some of you might not like it but this is the future. It'll cement itself even further after Kid Rock wins a senate seat by 30+ points

DlAMONDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:15 AM   #778
Silvermoth
Avenger

I don't know, there's a pretty good chance people will be sick of the showboating pretty soon. I think if people were voting between him and tom hanks or whatever people would end up just feeling cheap

Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #779
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlAMONDZ View Post

Which is why the best course of action is getting a well liked celebrity. Some of you might not like it but this is the future. It'll cement itself even further after Kid Rock wins a senate seat by 30+ points
That is silly, melodramatic, and reactionary.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #780
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:

By this logic if the standard of healthcare, education, or infrastructure alarmingly plummets your advice would be "Best course of action is just learning to enjoy cancer", "Best course of action is just to let uneducated morons do important jobs", "Best course of action is to just walk places since the roads are unusable".

Stop being lazy and expect acceptable standards to be upheld despite what irresponsible and incompetent politicians are doing.

DeadPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #781
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:

Lolz

Old 09-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #782
Silvermoth
Avenger

I wonder if people are getting sick of the drama though. He's obsessed with ratings and being talked about. Maybe people in 2020 will just want someone who gets the job done

Old 09-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #783
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
A Corbynesque approach will only lead to the same kind of divisive discourse that got Trump elected in the first place - there needs to be a centrist. Whoever it is needs to be able to unite people, not further divide them.
Except didn't Trump blame Hillary Clinton's third way neo liberal policies for the hollowing out of the American middle class and win on that? If another Dem candidate adopts the same policies, how would that person fair better?

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:53 AM   #784
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
People still act like Trump won by a landslide, and that a miracle is needed to beat him. Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million, and only won the electoral college by 80,000 votes.

This was against unpopular candidate that republicans had attacked for over a decade. A female candidate, while some voters are still sexist. Also during a time after Obama. I may have liked the Obama presidency, but republicans hated it. You'd think Obamacare was the second holocaust.

I'm not going to say beating Trump will be easy. It's just not impossible either. People are wary of Trump. Republicans are seeing him attack the party, and not keep campaign promises. That lowers enthusiasm. Democrats are riled up to get him out. He's in the low 30's on approval.

Just put in a competent candidate that doesn't polarize the country. Has no major scandals, and doesn't let Trump walk all over them. Surely there's at least 1 candidate that can do 80,000 votes better than Hillary.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:16 AM   #785
Ouch
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think that if Trump is going to be beaten, it'll be by a real politician because people will figure after what a disaster he has been, you need an actual professional.

And last I heard about Kid Rock, he was a million miles behind in the polls.

Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:07 AM   #786
Silvermoth
Avenger

I guess the thing is trump operated on anti status quo sentiment but next time he runs he will be seen as very much establishment. Not a guarantee that will be enough to dethrone him because he will probably change tactics but we will see

Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 AM   #787
Silvermoth
Avenger

Zuckerberg is still doing the most, trying to get people interested in his presidency bid without actually announcing it. He pretty cleverly capitalised on trump's inaction on Puerto Rico.

It's interesting that it might be a run off between zuck and Sanders. I wonder what a Jewish president will be like? Although we're not meant to play identity politics anymore

Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #788
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Heart Re: Who should challenge Trump in 2020?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Zuckerberg is still doing the most, trying to get people interested in his presidency bid without actually announcing it. He pretty cleverly capitalised on trump's inaction on Puerto Rico.

It's interesting that it might be a run off between zuck and Sanders. I wonder what a Jewish president will be like? Although we're not meant to play identity politics anymore
mr zuckerberg and his likeminded peers need to put money into voter registration campaigns and ending voter-restriction laws like the ID laws that still exist and felony-status restrictions that still exist. There's a hell of a lot of people who are blocked from voting who could and there seems to be minimal support from the nationwide DNC apparatus to correct this.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #789
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
how melodramatic was a Trump candidacy by 2015?

People underestimate the lure of celebrity, "left" and "right" wing alike.

In the case of Bob Ritchie, it is increasingly likely-- though not impossible-- that he would not run for Senate in Michigan. Clearly there's a lot of money in doing several-day concert stints at the recently inaugurated Little Caesars' Arena in Detroit (built with 35+% public money from the city). That, and the fact that he'd be expected to wear a suit to work, that would work against his traditional optics of portraying himself as an unrepentant good-ole-boy hellraiser.

He's been churning out rubesploitation rock for well over 15 years now after initially going with hard-rap-rock for the first 10 years of his career.

A big part of his fanbase are the exurban, outer-suburban white people who sympathize with Tea Party culture, and who consider "anti-political correctness" to only involve anything that supports far-right conservative social outlooks.

Kid Rock likes to take photos with 'blue collar' workers like factory workers, electricians, construction workers, but he openly supports candidates like Trump, Romney, who support "Right to Work" state laws that dilute organized labor.

he's very emblematic of the "Reagan Democrat" movement, reflecting the working-to-middle-class whites (who were frequently organized-labor affiliated in their careers) of the 1980s who signed on to GOP culture in part due to reactions to the advances of the civil rights movement which in their worldview had 'gone too far', "economic uncertainty" by the Carter era and hard-right jingoistic takes on foreign policy as the Cold War was still lingering.

Making statements at a recent concert in Nashville, Rock opined that everyone in the crowd would have turned the Las Vegas killer "into hamburger", though I'm curious, even if everyone at the concert had a pistol (and presumably, a CPL), just what the hell they were going to do against a sniper perched 32 stories up, and at first no one knew where the hell this was even coming from?

He has no nuanced take on policy beyond random conservative-culture bullet points, but that was good enough for 45. If Ritchie aligns himself with well-heeled campaign advisors, he could probably "fake it" long enough to last through a primary, at least.

Michigan is also poised to likely elect a Tea-Party friendly governor in its current attorney general Bill Schuette, next year. He's arguably wasted a lot of money on frivolous initiatives (e.g., millions spent in anti-gay-marriage lawsuits) but none of his positions really offend his base at all.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #790
Silvermoth
Avenger

This made some interesting reading last night

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit...election,_2020

Looks like Warren is the most popular candidate if you want a winner. Not sure who her VP would be. Can't see someone like Zuckerberg agreeing to be second best. His ego wouldn't allow it.

Harris would be interesting but maybe would struggle to connect with non democrat voters. Richard Blumenthal would be interesting

Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #791
MaceB
Side-Kick

I really hope folks don't choose Warren. She's wicked smart, but she buys into all the stereotypes about arrogant, educated, elite liberals... the right won't go for her IMO, and we risk a 2nd term of President Trump.
I'm rooting for Franken. He doesn't really want the job... which is actually a plus. He's hardworking. He's smart. And most importantly of all, he's a communicator. His comedic background has given him a lot of control over his timing, and he's an excellent communicator. Not speechwriter... but communicator. I think he could win, and I think he'd be in favor of most progressive policies.

MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #792
chaseter
What? Hm. Well...WOW

Trump won’t run in 2020 so he can’t lose. Duhhhhhh

chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #793
chaseter
What? Hm. Well...WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
I really hope folks don't choose Warren. She's wicked smart, but she buys into all the stereotypes about arrogant, educated, elite liberals... the right won't go for her IMO, and we risk a 2nd term of President Trump.
I'm rooting for Franken. He doesn't really want the job... which is actually a plus. He's hardworking. He's smart. And most importantly of all, he's a communicator. His comedic background has given him a lot of control over his timing, and he's an excellent communicator. Not speechwriter... but communicator. I think he could win, and I think he'd be in favor of most progressive policies.
Right now the top choice is Michelle Obama lolol

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/20...rticle/2639083

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #794
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Examiner is trash.

KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #795
NealKenneth
Banned User

While there is definetly still time to find a candidate I am looking this over and there just is not a candidate right now. Not one that could beat Trump at least.

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 PM   #796
chaseter
What? Hm. Well...WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Examiner is trash.
The Hill and the Post ran a similar story.

Which means the DNC has no idea about 2020 if your base is nominating people that aren’t even viable candidates. Bernie is still on the list.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #797
Sithborg
About time Filoni

I think the DNC is more concerned about 2018 at the moment.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #798
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
While there is definetly still time to find a candidate I am looking this over and there just is not a candidate right now. Not one that could beat Trump at least.
Right now a ham sandwich could beat Trump. The spell is broken over independents and his base dwindles. Outside of declaring war, and even then, the mask has been pulled back. People act as though he won some kind of landslide victory. As has been pointed out and should always be remembered that's just not so. If as is likely more investigation reveals just how flawed his judgment has been in picking people or if a criminal charge sticks to him or his family then it's over. Even if there is no criminal charge other things will continue to mount. He'll be damaged goods by the next presidential election.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ TBC'S THOR: RAGNAROK REVIEW, STRANGER THINGS 2 REVIEW AND DISNEY/FOX RUMORS.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:50 AM   #799
Silvermoth
Avenger

Michelle Obama is so liberal. I love her but it's all about identity politics and that's such a liberal thing. No one even knows what she would stand for and they support her because everyone wants a feel good moment like when Barack was president.

And I don't blame them one bit but it's always been what's destroyed the democrats. Always going for optics and ground breaking moments and then getting totalled because they couldn't relate to anyone. I wish we lived in a world where she could have a chance but this isn't it, at least yet

Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #800
terry78
Will you shut up?!

The Republicans are all just as elitist and wealthy as the liberal side but they figured out how to appeal to that joe average in middle America and even those rural types in the south. Even if they have never ever been in their place. It's manipulative but it works.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote