The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Punisher

Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 AM   #401
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Punisher - General Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitore View Post
being italian i hope they keep that background. i wanted to ask the question of his real last name being in the show to bernthal himself if i knew a way to contact him. he looks italian in a way, especially the attitude, he also played capone in a movie and it would be a shame if he's not italian american in the show. also it would be nice to have a "positive" italian american character once in a while and not the usual mafia guy, there's jigsaw for that. i'd love even only a mention of the name castiglione. i'm sure the show will be great anyway...
I hope they keep in the Castiglione thing as well.

That being said Punitore, not sure if we can really call someone like Punisher a "positive" Italian American hero

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:35 AM   #402
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best View Post
So um, wow, a lot of cool stuff (Turk's back haha).
So I guess this is Turk's last appearance in these Netflix shows.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:14 AM   #403
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Yeah...romance shouldn't be in Frank's wheelhouse at all just yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it hasn't been THAT MUCH time since he avenged his family. He should technically still be in mourning, and if they push a romantic subplot in this series, it will be extremely disrespectful towards his wife. Frank already commits some seriously ****ed up atrocities. You should almost have a hard time rooting for Frank, even though we all do. I just think it would be the wrong move and cause some viewers to actually out and out dislike Frank.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:19 AM   #404
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I hope they keep in the Castiglione thing as well.

That being said Punitore, not sure if we can really call someone like Punisher a "positive" Italian American hero
Yeah, I'm Italian myself, and it makes sense that they'd have forced his family to change their name on Ellis island when they came over. They did it to mine.

And yeah... positive?! Not even close. Haha He's not exactly any better than any of the gangsters so many Italians have become famous playing. He'll, honestly, he's probably worse.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #405
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

FWIW, the idea that anyone was forced to change their name (or that it was accidentally changed upon arrival) is actually a myth. Immigration officials at Ellis island actually went to considerable effort to get your correct name and, knowing there were language barriers, often would use things like passenger manifolds to get the correct name rather than communication (so they would get the name and spelling correct).

What ended up happening is people would either change their name because they wanted to seem more American or because they got tired of Americans not understanding how to say or spell it.

I recall reading somewhere the comic explanation of Castiglione to Castle is that he changed his name so he could volunteer to serve in Vietnam for another tour. I don't know enough about military procedure back then or now to figure out if that makes any sense, I just recall reading it. Regardless, the idea that his family changed the name to seem more American would fit just as well if he was born as Frank Castle instead of Frank Castiglione.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #406
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
FWIW, the idea that anyone was forced to change their name (or that it was accidentally changed upon arrival) is actually a myth. Immigration officials at Ellis island actually went to considerable effort to get your correct name and, knowing there were language barriers, often would use things like passenger manifolds to get the correct name rather than communication (so they would get the name and spelling correct).

What ended up happening is people would either change their name because they wanted to seem more American or because they got tired of Americans not understanding how to say or spell it.

I recall reading somewhere the comic explanation of Castiglione to Castle is that he changed his name so he could volunteer to serve in Vietnam for another tour. I don't know enough about military procedure back then or now to figure out if that makes any sense, I just recall reading it. Regardless, the idea that his family changed the name to seem more American would fit just as well if he was born as Frank Castle instead of Frank Castiglione.
I know my family changed their name from Merilicio to just Merilic. Whether they were forced or just chose, I haven't the slightest. I just know a few generations ago when we got here, somehow we wound up losing two letters from the family name.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #407
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Bernthal talking about the upcoming Punisher season with Entertainment Weekly
Quote:
This season is much darker as it goes, it gets darker and darker and more visceral. The show takes you on this journey of Frank becoming more and more human again and then shutting off and shutting off and going back to what works for him, and the place where he kind of belongs, and I think that’s a place of solitude and of darkness and destruction. It’s going to get into as dark and as brutal a place as you’ve ever seen in the Marvel world, I can promise you that.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #408
henry_9305
Side-Kick

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/...etflix-series/

henry_9305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:33 AM   #409
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Bernthal talking about the upcoming Punisher season with Entertainment Weekly
Oh man...that sounds amazing. Do we think it's Karen that starts to bring his humanity back? Maybe he realizes he has to shut that part of himself off to do what he feels needs to be done. Plus, as we all know, the more human you are and the more people you care about, the more things you have that can be used against you. Do we know if there will be any other small cameos? Any chance of Fisk showing back up or anything? I LOVED their screentime together.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #410
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post

Appreciate the lesson.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #411
Slick
Yup

Looks like fans are getting what they want.
https://moviepilot.com/p/battle-van-...series/4369809
I was first introduced to it in Spider-Man the animated series and thought it was pretty cool.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #412
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Looks like fans are getting what they want.
https://moviepilot.com/p/battle-van-...series/4369809
I was first introduced to it in Spider-Man the animated series and thought it was pretty cool.
Oh hell...that's the one thing I could really do without.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #413
Slick
Yup

I think that it's going to be toned down compared to the comics to fit in with the Netflix verse. Too me it makes sense that he would have it.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #414
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I think that it's going to be toned down compared to the comics to fit in with the Netflix verse. Too me it makes sense that he would have it.
Yeah...IDK why I'm concerned about it. It's not like he's gonna be rolling around town in a van with a big ass skull on the side. As long as it's not ridiculous I'm fine with it.

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #415
Slick
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
Oh man...that sounds amazing. Do we think it's Karen that starts to bring his humanity back? Maybe he realizes he has to shut that part of himself off to do what he feels needs to be done. Plus, as we all know, the more human you are and the more people you care about, the more things you have that can be used against you. Do we know if there will be any other small cameos? Any chance of Fisk showing back up or anything? I LOVED their screentime together.
Yeah the way their describing his character arc for this season has me very excited. It seems like actually the relationship between Frank and Micro will be the heart of the show according to this article.
https://moviepilot.com/p/it-takes-a-...-micro/4369833

Karen will of course play an important part in the story.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #416
Slick
Yup

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThePunish...series-a153897

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #417
Slick
Yup

It feels so good to see some punishing. Frank makes it a art form.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #418
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Netflix Korea tweeted and deleted a post saying it's an October release. So we'll see...

Man in the Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #419
Slick
Yup

Man I hope so.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #420
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Rambo vibes for sure from that promo vid. Also kinda makes me think of The Hunted with Benicio Del Toro.

Last edited by righthooksrus86; Yesterday at 08:44 PM.
righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #421
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

I thought this was getting a November release. If it's getting a release in October, then why isn't there a release date yet? Is Marvel seriously going to announce at NYCC that the show is coming out within a week? What about press screeners?

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #422
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I hope those soldiers were some bad dudes for Frank to off them like that.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote