The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Taarna
Banned User

Default The Guns thread

It seems that the majority of the murders are in gun free zones where liberal politics rule. Urban areas that tend to vote heavily Democratic such as Baltimore, Detroit or Chicago have the biggest gun problems. They also have the strictest gun laws.

This shows that areas, not gun laws are the biggest problem. Gun free zones are most prone to school shootings.

We protect our Politicians, our Banks, Numerous out door events, and homes with guns. But not our children in schools in many cases. This makes no sense.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Guns thread

Oh, Taarna.

Yes. You're right. It's the zones. Let's get rid of that, and gun violence will just disappear. It's got nothing to do with socioeconomics, mental health, dubious laws, a complicated culture of violence and the fact that there are more than three hundred million guns in circulation.

It's the fact that we can't all take a gun to school or into a movie theater.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Taarna, you keep making redundant threads. We already have a 2nd amendment thread where this topic is being discussed. Use the search feature or look through the threads before making a new one. When it comes to politics I gurantee you almost every topic already has a thread that can be bumped

Old 10-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarna View Post
It seems that the majority of the murders are in gun free zones where liberal politics rule. Urban areas that tend to vote heavily Democratic such as Baltimore, Detroit or Chicago have the biggest gun problems. They also have the strictest gun laws.
A yes the Myth of Chicago being the worst city in terms of gun violence that is pushed by gun nuts.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...abledatadecpdf

Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter(per 100k)

New Orleans-Metairie, LA - 20.6
Memphis, TN-MS-AR - 11.5
Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI - 10.9
Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD - 9.5
Birmingham-Hoover, AL - 9.4
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 8.6
Jacksonville, FL - 8.0
Oklahoma City, OK - 8.0
Kansas City, MO-KS - 7.7
St. Louis, MO-IL - 7.3
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI - 7.1
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI - 6.9
Richmond, VA - 6.8
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC - 6.8
San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA - 6.5
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL - 6.3
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN - 6.2
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA - 6.1
Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN - 6.0
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX - 5.7
Tucson, AZ - 5.7
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - 5.3
Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN - 5.1
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX - 5.1
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA - 5.0
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL - 5.0

Why don't the pro gun people talk about New Orleans or Memphis or Birmingham or Jacksonville or Oklahoma City or Kansas City and all the problem the gun laws there cause. It should be pointed out since the 70s Chicago has cut it's homicide rate in half and the majority of that drop has been in the past 10 years, how come that is never mentioned by the people trashing Chicago?

Last edited by SV Fan; 10-09-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
KevanG
Pragmatic Villain

If we arm everyone, does that mean no more shootings? Less shootings? More shootings?

I've heard of area where they have pretty much everyone armed all the time.

They're called war zones.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Can someone be a victim of gun violence if there are no guns?

Old 10-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
KevanG
Pragmatic Villain

You could be threatened to be shot.

Or use a ballistic knife like the Russian Spetznaz has.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Can someone be a victim of gun violence if there are no guns?
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/10/gun...hs-and-crimes/

Quote:
An August 2013 CDC report looked at rates for gun homicides in the 50 most populous metropolitan areas. It found that for 2009-2010, the top gun murder rate areas were, in order: New Orleans, Memphis, Detroit, Birmingham, St. Louis, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Philadelphia and Chicago.
That lines up pretty much with the list I gave above, so better?

If you want to even get more technical The original statistics I posted are unfair to Chicago, they were actually 21st in the country for gun murders(per 100k people) for the calendar year of 2012(I just wanted to post some numbers that give one a rough idea that show that the whole Chicago is the worst city for gun violence is a myth created by gun nuts). I guess one can argue Chicago does have the most actual gun murders in terms of people shot, but it's a bit unfair comparing a city that is close to 3M people to one that is like 400k or 500k when you comparing sheer numbers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5863208.html

Quote:
The Pew Research Center has also pushed back against Chicago's "murder capital" reputation, pointing out in a July analysis that Chicago actually had the nation's 21st-highest murder rate in 2012, the most recent year for which the FBI has released official data. Six other cities -- Richmond, Virginia; Birmingham, Alabama; Flint, Michigan; Detroit; New Orleans and D.C. -- have at some point since 1985 been home to the nation's highest homicide rate.

Last edited by SV Fan; 10-10-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:08 AM   #9
Charlatan
Side-Kick

Old 10-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
Taarna
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Oh, Taarna.

Yes. You're right. It's the zones. Let's get rid of that, and gun violence will just disappear. It's got nothing to do with socioeconomics, mental health, dubious laws, a complicated culture of violence and the fact that there are more than three hundred million guns in circulation.

It's the fact that we can't all take a gun to school or into a movie theater.
Who said that! I was talking about let the cops or armed security people work at the schools.

As for mental health, I am for those with issues not being allowed to have guns.

-T

Old 10-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
Hello2016
Side-Kick

When I read stuff on gun debates, I see the same lines being used over and over from both sides. It gets tiresome and redundant.

I worked with someone whose highly into guns and the 2nd amendement yet they weren't entirely supportive of the NRA... People that own guns need to be able to think for themselves as an individual. Don't let others tell you how to think.

I look at school shootings and everytime it happens it's always: Wouldn't it be great if we could've just blown that little ****head away? That's reasonable enough. The thoughtline is why do I want to get shot when I didn't do anything? I think the greater question becomes what security measures can be put into place to make the perpetrator think twice about trying to make a name for themselves and instead be thinking about the embarrassment of their teacher blowing their head all over the chalkboard telling the other kids in the class they had **** for brains (apologies if this offends but I'm trying to get my point across).

At the same time, I don't think we want the teacher becoming a George Zimmerman; a person who I think is an irresponsible gun owner perhaps seeking notoriety and confirmation of his status of not being a person to be messed with. Based on a linear thought structure perpetuated by both sides of the gun debate, a person like this can get away with murdering people.

The second amendment needs to be supported and each man needs to think for himself. As for schools, I don't know where I fall on that... I don't like the thought of being a teenager with a teacher like George Zimmerman following me through the hallways. On the other hand, we need some security measures put in place at every school and college. This is a place where people have to be. Can the kids carry firearms as well as the teacher? It just opens up a lot. A public space where underage people HAVE to be may involve compromises but SAFETY is a must. This involves a lot of thinking. I don't have the answers so I don't know where I stand on this one...

Last edited by Hello2016; 10-10-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello2016 View Post
The second amendment needs to be supported and each man needs to think for himself.
All I ask is what does the constitution say about bullets?

Old 10-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

I'm sure the men who built this nation clearly had the idea of semi-automatic and automatic weapons in mind when they wrote the 2nd amendment

Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs View Post
I'm sure the men who built this nation clearly had the idea of semi-automatic and automatic weapons in mind when they wrote the 2nd amendment
Well two of those men were Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson...

Old 10-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #15
Hello2016
Side-Kick

Quote:
All I ask is what does the constitution say about bullets?
Same thing. It's antiquated but should still stand as far as individual freedoms go as long as they don't impinge on the rights of others I feel. I would say (what hardcore constitutionalists would disagree with) there are certain high tech pieces of weaponry that shouldn't be allowed in public places such as probes, cannons, personalized rocket launchers, flamethrowers, or more accurately automatic weaponry that can fire rounds in mass volumes to take out 30-100 people in devastating enough fashion that no one else (who doesn't have the element of surprise) would be able to respond in enough time to stop the threat. Common sense needs to be employed. Not just verbatim nonsense.

Edit: One thing I would like to add is that 3D printers can be made to manufacture basic handguns. Therefore, if some internet troll is able to manufacture some devastating automatic weapon that can go way beyond what other people have at home then it automatically becomes a debate on why other people shouldn't be able to possess them. It's all about preventative measures and some constructive thinking needed from our government (whose supposed to represent the people as opposed to suppress them) to work with the people towards a resolution on a continuous basis with steps taken that reasonable people can measure and see. I will tell you this, if every person possessed a nuclear bomb we definitely would've had more than a few go off since Hiroshima... Therefore, some things are complicated and difficult to resolve to everyone's satisfaction.

Last edited by Hello2016; 10-10-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same thing. It's antiquated but should still stand as far as individual freedoms go as long as they don't impinge on the rights of others I feel.
Can you tell me where exactly it mentions the word "bullet" in the constitution because I don't see it in the 2nd amendment.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
Hello2016
Side-Kick

What do you think the right to bear arms implies?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #18
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
What do you think the right to bear arms implies?
Technically arms would be the Gun itself. I guess one could make an argument arms is any weapon but if that is the case why can't I own a bomb

Old 10-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Hello2016
Side-Kick

Exactly. That's why everyone uses taglines or argues wording whenever it comes to gun debates. In my opinion I think it all comes down to common sense (something I was trying to get at with my earlier post concerning bombs). I don't think a lot of people out there are good people. There are more people willing to take you or me out without any emotional afterthought (in fact maybe a **** grin or double entendre afterwords or maybe some self-righteous indulgence in which they try to label you or me as worth getting shot posthumously). I just look around the neighborhood and see the indifferent way people regard each other and know each person needs to stand on their own. We owe it to ourselves and the people around us. I'm saying one should decide how to bear their arms and choose how they wish to be prepared.

Edit: I will say as far as the government goes, they do have access to any kind of weaponry... We need amendments in place so they don't use it against us.

Last edited by Hello2016; 10-10-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #20
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

My opinion is that the 2nd Amendment has been outdated for at least half a century and needs to be revisited, honestly. Not to mention we outright ignore the "well regulated militia" part of it. There's more to battle than just being able to shoot a gun.

Nothing is going to stop the White House from taking over a state now if they really wanted to. It was all over once nuclear weapons were invented. They ain't gonna care about even an entire city armed with machine guns. Unless "the right to bear arms" includes all the billion-dollar high tech weaponry our national forces have access to, which no state can afford or maintain.

And it's FAR more likely that the state would use those fancy toys to terrorize its own citizens than to "keep the security of a free state" from a power-hungry federal government. (See: Ferguson.)

The Founding Fathers are undoubtedly rolling in their graves with all of these mass shootings in schools. Their intent in writing the 2nd Amendment didn't involve that at all.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #21
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Exactly. That's why everyone uses taglines or argues wording whenever it comes to gun debates. In my opinion I think it all comes down to common sense. I don't think a lot of people out there are good people. There are more people willing to take you or me out without any emotional afterthought (in fact maybe a **** grin or double entendre afterwords or maybe some self-righteous indulgence in which they try to label you or me as worth getting shot posthumously). I just look around the neighborhood and see the indifferent way people regard each other and know each person needs to stand on their own. We owe it to ourselves and the people around us. I'm saying one should decide how to bear their arms and choose how they wish to be prepared.

Edit: I will say as far as the government goes, they do have access to any kind of weaponry... We need amendments in place so they don't use it against us.
Then you, sir, need to move.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #22
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly. That's why everyone uses taglines or argues wording whenever it comes to gun debates. In my opinion I think it all comes down to common sense.
I just think the 2nd amendment is poorly worded. One could argue that the right to bear arms means we should be able to kill bears for their arms. lol

Why the hell didn't they just make it simpler and spell out exactly what we should and shouldn't be able to use?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #23
Hello2016
Side-Kick

I think the 2nd amendment stands as is. Interpretation or additions to it make things more complicated. Active problem solving in the present day is what's needed.

Quote:
Then you, sir, need to move.
Hard when there's a lease and limited options sir. I haven't had any confrontations yet physical or life threatening situations personally so that's a plus.

I agree with your state vs. people summarization but in the end it's the government who represents the populace not the populace who is under the government godlike entity. The populace is hard to move it seems. That's why I value individual thought and freedom as it creates at least a small ripple before homogenizing into a bucket of tranquil bliss at least.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #24
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the 2nd amendment stands as is. Interpretation or additions to it make things more complicated
Problem is we do interpret the 2nd amendment. We have an imaginary line which weapons are fair game and not. It also doesn't have rules around purchasing those weapons or if we can create gun registries

Old 10-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #25
Hello2016
Side-Kick

What is your interpretation of right to bear arms then? Right to bear arms kind of hard to discriminate certain people from that unless we use mental health evaluation (which only a gross level would work I think) or criminal records. Doesn't discount a lot of people who are just fed up sick of everything and just decide to pop off. How do we discount people based on attitudes without impinging on right to bear arms?

Last edited by Hello2016; 10-10-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Closed Thread