The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #101
The Incredible Hulk
Bad Hombre

Default Re: Russia Positioning for Major Conflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
The West has been asleep at Russia's ascent over the past couple of decades. That's why they (the Russians) are taking advantage of our collective stupidity at thinking the Cold War was all over. For them, it never ended and they decided and prepared to fight back ten times harder. That brings us to today.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #102
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Russia has a lot to answer for regarding its historical and ongoing racism. There needs to be a progressive movement there to be a bulwark against the nationalists.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #103
samsnee
Side-Kick

Russia in a sense has already won. Regardless if Trump serves four years, they've sown confusion and doubt in our electoral process that won't stop anytime soon. They took the party of Reagan and made them think Putin is an ok guy.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #104
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

All Russia had to do was convince the white nationalist in America they were on their side then help them rise to power.

I disagree with the idea that Russia already won. Their infiltration has been exposed and Trump can't help them without bringing up shady dealings that got him elected and his Russian ties.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #105
MaceB
Side-Kick

IF this does all come out as a Russian infiltration operation, I wonder what the US response would be? We've gone to war over much less. Maybe we do a tit for tat and essentially work behind the scenes to get Putin outside.

MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #106
Jason Kane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
Russia in a sense has already won. Regardless if Trump serves four years, they've sown confusion and doubt in our electoral process that won't stop anytime soon. They took the party of Reagan and made them think Putin is an ok guy.
Even Eisenhower's spinning in his grave w/ him while Stalin is laughing at us all

Jason Kane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #107
Sithborg
About time Filoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
All Russia had to do was convince the white nationalist in America they were on their side then help them rise to power.

I disagree with the idea that Russia already won. Their infiltration has been exposed and Trump can't help them without bringing up shady dealings that got him elected and his Russian ties.
I don't think they had to convince them. They were already pretty jealous of Putin's domestic policies.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #108
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
I don't think they had to convince them. They were already pretty jealous of Putin's domestic policies.
Yes, authoritarian birds of a feather, flock together.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #109
The Incredible Hulk
Bad Hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
IF this does all come out as a Russian infiltration operation, I wonder what the US response would be? We've gone to war over much less. Maybe we do a tit for tat and essentially work behind the scenes to get Putin outside.
I'm pretty sure we've been trying to do that since shortly after Putin came to power.

The biggest problem is that Russia doesn't really lend itself to forming a true democracy, so you'd in effect be replacing one despot with another one.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #110
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Quote:
Finland’s government plans to block foreigners from buying houses near military sites amid claims that Russians were acquiring land to accommodate troops in the event of a potential invasion.

The Finnish Ministry of Defence said some property transactions by non-residents would be cancelled on the grounds of national security.

The move follows reports in Finland late last year that foreigners, namely Russians, were buying up property in politically-sensitive areas in case they were needed in a future “crisis situation”.

A report by intelligence agency Supo warned of the risk of a foreign state using purchased land to cut transport links or house soldiers in Finland.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7578601.html

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #111
Jason Kane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
I'm pretty sure we've been trying to do that since shortly after Putin came to power.

The biggest problem is that Russia doesn't really lend itself to forming a true democracy, so you'd in effect be replacing one despot with another one.
Pretty much. Especially when some still want communism to work yet still keep the brutal execution of how to make it work in tact knowing damn well if it wasn't fine the first time around before Putin how the hell would be better a 2nd time?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #112
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kane View Post
Pretty much. Especially when some still want communism to work yet still keep the brutal execution of how to make it work in tact knowing damn well if it wasn't fine the first time around before Putin how the hell would be better a 2nd time?
I don't think they miss communism.

They just want their authoritarian oilgarchy to be a global superpower well into the future.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #113
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
Russia has a lot to answer for regarding its historical and ongoing racism. There needs to be a progressive movement there to be a bulwark against the nationalists.
Ya but anytime somebody starts to lead that movement they usually die due to poison. I guess Russia just has some poor quality control over the local tap water.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #114
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Up close and personal: Russian spy ship skims edge of US waters near sub base

Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #115
Jason Kane
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think they miss communism.

They just want their authoritarian oilgarchy to be a global superpower well into the future.
They can kiss making that dream a reality goodbye after this ****show.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #116
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:

When I say won, I mean they undermined and exacerbated are already fragile political system. It's like if Russia was Zemo in Civil War. They know they can't defeat the US in a real fight, so they divide us and make us fight each other. Yes we were already doing that the last 8 years but they basically poured even more gasoline on.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #117
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
When I say won, I mean they undermined and exacerbated are already fragile political system. It's like if Russia was Zemo in Civil War. They know they can't defeat the US in a real fight, so they divide us and make us fight each other. Yes we were already doing that the last 8 years but they basically poured even more gasoline on.
I think Russia is closer to Hydra in Winter Soldier.

They're going for a full blown, secret infiltration of the highest level of US government.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #118
samsnee
Side-Kick

A long read but well worth it. It documents how Putin probably was behind the bombings in the late 90s to catapult himself into power by blaming the Chechyans. I'd like to think that couldn't happen here, but it seems like it could more and more by the minute.

http://reprints.longform.org/putin-c...story-anderson

Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #119
Fading
>:(

Quote:
It's so sad how my mind works. I saw you say exacerbate, and immediately went to YouTube to look for a clip from Shaun of the Dead where Shaun asks what exacerbate means. So I could quote you, and link it as a response. Couldn't find one, lol.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #120
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
A long read but well worth it. It documents how Putin probably was behind the bombings in the late 90s to catapult himself into power by blaming the Chechyans. I'd like to think that couldn't happen here, but it seems like it could more and more by the minute.

http://reprints.longform.org/putin-c...story-anderson
Not to let the Chechyans off the hook for their part in the war but Putin really was an anti-Islamist's wet dream due to how brutal his methods were. This is how we find ourselves here, partially. There is a legit threat from terrorism, but America should not try to handle global terrorism the way Putin did the Chechnya conflict. But between paranoid and yes frankly bigoted voters and the ignorant, this is where we are.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ TBC'S THOR: RAGNAROK REVIEW, STRANGER THINGS 2 REVIEW AND DISNEY/FOX RUMORS.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #121
Sithborg
About time Filoni

So, it looks like the leader of California's secession movement lives in Russia.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #122
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

If California seceded, Democrats would never win another presidential election again.

Also it shrinks the US economy by alot.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #123
Shikaeshi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
So, it looks like the leader of California's secession movement lives in Russia.
Surprise, surprise. Yes, he runs a Californian embassy from there.

Californian secession is about as live an issue as Texan secession. When the Dems win the presidency, the Texans start grumbling. When the GOP wins the presidency, Californians start grumbling. It is more of a form of protest than a real thing, compared to Scotland or Catalonia.

Shikaeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #124
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Baltic state Estonia is trying to integrate it's Russian minority speakers in the hope Russia can't use them as a pretext to invade Estonia like it did with the Ukraine.

The government are make it easier for Russian speakers to obtain Estonian citizenship and to improve the border region's economy, where unemployment is high.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ba...-idUSKBN1630W2

Eastern Europe is covering it's bases when it comes to Russia right now.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #125
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Well, considering Texas and California would need 2/3 of the states to vote in favor of succession, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote