The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #701
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Ya Bioware the past few years I have not been happy with as much mainly since most of their main staff (including the creators of it) have left.

I still have hope with them though they used to be my favorite developer.

EA's best is Valve but Valve pretty much has a lot of power over itself, but that would be awesome. But ya EA can be....bad with their upper management/producers but they do have talented devs there. So I hope for the best.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #702
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Ya Bioware the past few years I have not been happy with as much mainly since most of their main staff (including the creators of it) have left.

I still have hope with them though they used to be my favorite developer.

EA's best is Valve but Valve pretty much has a lot of power over itself, but that would be awesome. But ya EA can be....bad with their upper management/producers but they do have talented devs there. So I hope for the best.
I'd agree with you about Valve but they aren't really under EA, just a distributor at retailers. Valve develops and published their own games with the exception of the PS3 version of The Orange Box and the Original Xbox port of Half-Life 2 I think.

BUT they do seem pretty close to EA so I would love to see a Valve Star Wars games. One of the greatest developers around today IMO.

EA does seem to meddle with things, but I think they are better than Activision. I used to hate EA to the core but I think they have gotten slightly better.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #703
xDumpweed182x
Forever-a-Newbie

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...ooting-in-2014

So looks like we've got a while before they get started..

Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #704
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDumpweed182x View Post
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...ooting-in-2014

So looks like we've got a while before they get started..
No not really. I knew it would be either late this year, or early 2014 that they would start filming. They will still make the 2015 date.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #705
georgec
Not a hero

I've just experienced a revelation. I'm not sure if her name has been mentioned yet, but Evangeline Lilly strikes me as someone who would be a great addition to the SW cast. And JJ has worked with her before, after all.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #706
Octoberist
point blank

Take it for a grain of salt, though it be also the obvious, but imdb is listing Michael Kaplan as the costume designer. That is great news since I liked his work on the Star Trek outfits.
Double good news since he was the costume designer on Blade Runner (I had no idea!)

Hopefully he can interject the look of the costume designs from the original films with a more modern twist (like with Star Trek). What I liked about the outfits, from Han's smuggler wardrobe to Luke's Jedi attire, was that they were all understated and simple.

-- Anonymous, 2016

Last edited by Octoberist; 05-07-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #707
Solouk
Side-Kick

Had no idea he worked on Bladerunner either? All the pieces of the jigsaw are fitting together very nicely.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #708
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah that's shocking. Then he's a lot older than I think he is and is aging pretty well. Then again, he's a fashion dude, so his looks have to matter, haha.

BTW, I HOPE Nevelle Page doesn't get involved with Star Wars with his generic designs. I'm telling you all, talent is overrated. It's the people you know and I think Page knows a lot of people. Thank God he's busy doing Avatar 2 and 3 back to back for the time being. This will be the only time I'll thank James Cameron for his Avatar work!!

-- Anonymous, 2016
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #709
georgec
Not a hero

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...-its-own-thing

Short video (1 min).

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #710
Octoberist
point blank

IMDB has added Production Designer Darren Gilford to the 'Star Wars Episode VII' roster. His partnership with Joseph Kosinski (Tron Legacy and Oblivion) is just amazing. Amazing. Simplistic, retro but still modern and best of all beautiful.

Before you cry out foul, it makes sense because JJ's usual production designer Scott Cahmbliss is busy with Brad Bird's 'Tommorowland' for Disney.

-- Anonymous, 2016
Old 05-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #711
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I've just experienced a revelation. I'm not sure if her name has been mentioned yet, but Evangeline Lilly strikes me as someone who would be a great addition to the SW cast. And JJ has worked with her before, after all.
She'd be a good Jaina, but personally I would want to see someone new and relatvely unknown join the Galaxy Far Far Away.

How about anyone from the cast of the show Revolution? It's also done by Abrams like Lost and that show, in terms of thematics it is very similar to Star Wars in many aspects. It even has the same sorts of characters, e.g. Miles Matheson=Han Solo and Charlie Matheson=Luke/Leia and Aaron=C3-P0(in some ways) and Tom Neville=Darth Vader(at least in the very early episodes).

Plus they're all unknowns pretty much which tick that traditional box and I would like to see Graham Rogers(Danny Matheson) in a role.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #712
georgec
Not a hero

How about Giancarlo Esposito!?!?!

He could have an underground "death stick" empire.

Last edited by georgec; 05-09-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #713
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
IMDB has added Production Designer Darren Gilford to the 'Star Wars Episode VII' roster. His partnership with Joseph Kosinski (Tron Legacy and Oblivion) is just amazing. Amazing. Simplistic, retro but still modern and best of all beautiful.

Before you cry out foul, it makes sense because JJ's usual production designer Scott Cahmbliss is busy with Brad Bird's 'Tommorowland' for Disney.
Great news. He does have a retro style which is what Episode VII needs. Wonderful news.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #714
Octoberist
point blank

He's pretty remarkable despite being fairly new to the scene.

I'm just curious on who JJ will pick as his cinematography. I still think he's going with Larry Fong instead of his usual guy (who is currently doing Amazing Spider-Man 2). Larry has a knack to create an old school, rich look, like what he did with Super 8. It's beautiful stuff.

The key thing for JJ to do is, go with a look that's warm. The old movies had a warm look while the prequels looked cold and flat.

Look at Jurassic Park and The Lost World. Speilberg changed the cinematographers around for the second film, (Janusz Kamiński) resulting in a flat and darker look that affect the 'magic' of the first film. Maybe that was the goal but Kamiński tends to go for a 'colder' look which makes thing more sterile.

-- Anonymous, 2016

Last edited by Octoberist; 05-09-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #715
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Super 8 was amazing work I agree fully with that. I do hope they get him.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #716
Sawyer
High King

Deadline: Episode VII To Shoot in the UK

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 05-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #717
Octoberist
point blank

yah!

-- Anonymous, 2016
Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #718
Spider-Gnome
Walloping Web-Snappers!

Super 8 did an excellent job capturing the look and feel of films from the late 70's early 80's and would be an excellent choice for Star Wars.

Bryan Cranston for Norman Osborn/Green Goblin
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #719
Octoberist
point blank

While JJ's style for Star Trek is slightly bombastic and kinetic (positives by the way), I think JJ will pull back a little and go a bit old school. I would think that 'Super 8' is probably the template he'll go by.

-- Anonymous, 2016
Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #720
Spider-Gnome
Walloping Web-Snappers!

Quote:
While JJ's style for Star Trek is slightly bombastic and kinetic (positives by the way), I think JJ will pull back a little and go a bit old school. I would think that 'Super 8' is probably the template he'll go by.
Definitely agree! If anything, Super 8 felt like that golden age Spielberg of the late 70's early 80's.

Bryan Cranston for Norman Osborn/Green Goblin
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #721
Leetank
Battlecruiser Operational

I'm so late to the party, but I'm so happy that other people can work on star wars. The fact JJ is directing gives me so much hope considering how much I love the new star trek films.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #722
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Looks like Episode VII will be filmed and produced in the UK once again!

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/..._UK_151865.asp

Quote:
Star Wars Feature Film Production Returns to the U.K.
May 10, 2013

Lucasfilm announced today that production of Star Wars: Episode VII will take place in the United Kingdom. All of the six previous live-action Star Wars movies have included UK production in such famed studios as Elstree, Shepperton, Leavesden, Ealing and Pinewood Studios.

"We've devoted serious time and attention to revisiting the origins of Star Wars as inspiration for our process on the new movie, and I'm thrilled that returning to the UK for production and utilizing the incredible talent there can be a part of that," said Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm. "Speaking from my own longstanding connection to the UK with films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire of the Sun and recently War Horse, it's very exciting to be heading back."

Earlier this year, representatives from Lucasfilm met with the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, in London to establish an agreement to produce Star Wars in the U.K. "I am delighted that Star Wars is coming back to Britain. Today's announcement that the next Star Wars film will be shot and produced in the UK is great news for fans and our creative industries," Osborne said today.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Michael Arndt and is scheduled for a 2015 release.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #723
Bim
Side-Kick

Nice to see some things wont change

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #724
Solidus
Knights of Ren

FYI JJ is on The Daily Show on Monday. I'm sure Jon (he's a SW fan) will ask a question or two. Good to see STID getting great reviews too.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #725
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Quote:
I think the same about that. I'm sure He wants his Star Wars to look different than his Star Trek.

Closed Thread