The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Gotham

Old 09-11-2017, 01:24 AM   #701
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Default Re: The Official Gotham News and discussion thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
I don't watch the show, so it isn't like I really care, but this seems EXTREMELY early for any sort of proto Batman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathemy View Post
"I don't watch the show, so it isn't like I really care, but that won't stop me from waltzing into the Gotham forum taking a dump on the show without knowing any of the stuff leading up to this."

Your opinion is noted.
Kind of bizarre how people like going to a fan thread about a show they don't even watch and crap all over the show. I don't care for Marvel so I don't watch any of the Netflix shows, but I don't go over and crap on Iron Fist.
I wonder what the mentality of that is? Anyway, looking forward to season 4 of Gotham and proto-Batman and baby Catwoman.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #702
famicommander
Side-Kick

The actor still looks like a good sized middle schooler could knock him out.

famicommander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #703
Kathemy
It could happen to you

Okay. Since I don't like writing the same thing over and over I'll just copy and paste from my latest thread on the subject.
Quote:
Number one: We are trained to accept much smaller girls beating up grown men on television every week. We're trained to accept tiny Asian men in the same role. If you can accept that, how can you have a problem with a 5'8" Jewish kid doing the same?
Number two: How do you realistically think you'd fare against a flyweight world champion in a boxing ring? No matter your size? Do you have any idea how hard a properly trained, small guy can really punch?
Number three: Bruce Wayne is a prodigy. That's the most important point. This is a guy who will be "one of the greatest martial artists that ever lived." According to Superman, "the most intelligent person I've ever met." That's in the character description.
Bruce Wayne doesn't have superpowers, but that doesn't mean he's a normal person. Of course he learns fast. Of course he's naturally gifted. How "realistic" would it be for him not to show signs of greatness at this age?
More at [x]

Old 09-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #704
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Them pulling some Smallville crap.
I honestly feel like Smallville and Gotham did some leading up to those points in their respective shows. I don't see why it's a big deal to have a prequel show do stuff such as that?

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #705
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Wished they skipped a year and went full Year One with a bit older Bruce and Gordon actually looking like Gordon. Then do a sort of prequel/in between season with Mazouz traveling around the world.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:56 AM   #706
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Kind of bizarre how people like going to a fan thread about a show they don't even watch and crap all over the show. I don't care for Marvel so I don't watch any of the Netflix shows, but I don't go over and crap on Iron Fist.
I wonder what the mentality of that is? Anyway, looking forward to season 4 of Gotham and proto-Batman and baby Catwoman.
I watched the first few seasons to see if I could get into it. I couldn't, but that doesn't stop Batman from being my favorite comic character, and what's wrong with me having an opinion on his proto-Batman look? It just seems wildly early to put him in any type of mask at this point. I certainly wouldn't call me stating my opinion, what did you call it? Crapping all over the show? And what would it hurt if you did pop over in the IF forums and dropped your opinion? Maybe you don't like how IF wasn't given a costume. There wouldn't be anything wrong with you popping in over there and saying so.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #707
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
Wished they skipped a year and went full Year One with a bit older Bruce and Gordon actually looking like Gordon. Then do a sort of prequel/in between season with Mazouz traveling around the world.
I agree with this completely. He's simply too young looking to be at this stage of the Batman mythos. Plus, I just feel like if people start seeing this young kid running around like this they'd be able to put Batman's identity together at some point.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:59 AM   #708
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

People still thinking this show is adhering to the Batman canon of sorts should honestly just give up on this show entirely.

It's clear by this point it's become an Elseworlds story and not an actual prequel in the veins of Year One.

You have won many victories, rekindling hope in the hearts of those you have protected. Each sends their blessing. Each blessing, a stone to fortify this land. Your castle is strong, my son. Your allies are many. Wield what lies within, and reclaim what is yours. Break the siege of darkness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Their primal need to argue outweighs their ability to acknowledge that they're actually agreeing with each other
SkullDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #709
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Okay. Since I don't like writing the same thing over and over I'll just copy and paste from my latest thread on the subject.

More at [x]
1. We accept a woman as Black Canary because that's her character. Part of the Batman mythos is his physical appearance; he's an intimidating, towering figure. Nobody in the history of the world would be intimidated by this actor. He's scrawny and delicate-looking. He looks like he should be wearing a turtle neck and greeting people at a book store.

2. How would a flyweight world champion fare against a similarly skilled heavyweight champion?

3. We haven't seen this yet. Gordon gets the only decent fight scenes in this show and even those are poorly choreographed.

famicommander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #710
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

David Mazouz is now campaigning for a Damian Wayne/Robin role in the DCEU. Hate when actors do this... can't help but cringe.

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #711
Kane52630
Technologic User

Yeah but at the same time, he's still a kid.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #712
Kathemy
It could happen to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
1. We accept a woman as Black Canary because that's her character. Part of the Batman mythos is his physical appearance; he's an intimidating, towering figure. Nobody in the history of the world would be intimidated by this actor. He's scrawny and delicate-looking. He looks like he should be wearing a turtle neck and greeting people at a book store.
... and Bruce Wayne isn't Batman on this show. Why do people confuse "road to become" with "being"?

The best way to get this point across would have him initially turn into a Robin character.
Quote:
2. How would a flyweight world champion fare against a similarly skilled heavyweight champion?
Well, I know this isn't fair since you don't watch the show but, has Bruce Wayne faced a similarly skilled big fighter on the show? Obviously, no.
Quote:
3. We haven't seen this yet. Gordon gets the only decent fight scenes in this show and even those are poorly choreographed.
Okay... Gotham got an Emmy nomination for "Best Stunt Coordination" both in 2016 and 2017. You don't get that unless those people at least think you merit consideration, but hey, I guess they know nothing. And Bruce Wayne has had well choreographed and filmed fight scenes. ("The Gentle Art Of...") More than that by now the show has established he can fight.

+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
David Mazouz is now campaigning for a Damian Wayne/Robin role in the DCEU. Hate when actors do this... can't help but cringe.
Well, yeah, maybe a bit cringey, but this is something I've rooted for for years. And it's a good sign, actually. If the producers are aware of how good a fit David would be for Damian - he'd absolutely own that role - that may show in their aesthetics, and that would help. The shot in an early promo with hooded Bruce in the doorway staring down that accountant didn't remind me of Batman, it reminded me of Damian.

Last edited by Kathemy; 09-12-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Double response.
Kathemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #713
Ozbridge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Gotham got an Emmy nomination for "Best Stunt Coordination" both in 2016 and 2017.
In other news Gotham won Emmy for Special Visual Effects in Supporting Role on Sunday. Sound Editing lost to Stranger Things and Stunt Coordination lost to Luke Cage.

Out of all current CBM shows I think only Gotham, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have actually won Emmy (JJ won in last year for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music). All are Creative Arts only but still.

Ozbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #714
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
The actor still looks like a good sized middle schooler could knock him out.
And that's where Bruce's fighting skills come into play. He'd annihilate the middle schooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
I watched the first few seasons to see if I could get into it. I couldn't, but that doesn't stop Batman from being my favorite comic character, and what's wrong with me having an opinion on his proto-Batman look? It just seems wildly early to put him in any type of mask at this point. I certainly wouldn't call me stating my opinion, what did you call it? Crapping all over the show? And what would it hurt if you did pop over in the IF forums and dropped your opinion? Maybe you don't like how IF wasn't given a costume. There wouldn't be anything wrong with you popping in over there and saying so.
Why would I want to? If I don't care enough about a show to watch it, how valuable is my opinion of it?

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #715
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/88...eased#/slide/1

Old 09-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #716
Kane52630
Technologic User

Really like this shot... The Cat and the Bat.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #717
ironman29758
Side-Kick

A few new Gotham spoilers and interviews:
http://tvline.com/2017/09/13/arrow-s...-black-canary/
Quote:
Is Gotham‘s Lucius Fox the one making Bruce’s armor? —Mae Anne
You just evoked the name of executive producer Danny Cannon’s “favorite character”! “Yes, Lucius is beginning to suspect that Alfred and Bruce might have a double life and politely weaves his way in,” Cannon said when I hand-delivered your Q. “Lucius has worked for Wayne Industries and he may work there again one day, and for right now he doesn’t want to see Bruce get hurt. So he finds a way of helping without interfering.”
http://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-20...!16/undefined/
Quote:
Season 4 of the DC Comics drama, says exec producer Danny Cannon, is “focusing on character more than anything else” — namely, how Jim Gordon, Penguin and other established characters react to Bruce Wayne’s coming of age: “Somebody who until now has been seen as a wealthy child is now seen as the emerging threat he is.” As Bruce faces that future, watch for Alfred to vie for mentorship of his ward with Ra’s al Ghul. (“An almost amoral figure from such a dark and ancient past coming into Bruce’s life when he is so susceptible to influence gives us lots of drama,” Cannon notes.) Jim’s world meanwhile will be rocked by no less than a return, a new love and new, canon DC villains — such as Scarecrow, Professor Pyg (Fringe‘s Michael Cerveris), Toymaker and Solomon Grundy né Butch Gilzean — just as Penguin’s plan to “legitimize crime” steers Gotham into a(nother) spiral.
BONUS SPOILER!: Selina’s alliance with Tabitha is all part of “building up the Sirens’ origin story,” Barbara and Ivy included, says Cannon. “We’ll be watching Selina turn into a woman, but what kind of woman will she be? Vengeful and resentful, or somebody of amazing potential?”
http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/201...fall-shows/28/
Quote:
The famed leader of the League of Assassins will "snap" the last twig of Bruce's innocence, as Siddig puts it, plunging the young man further down the dark path to becoming his vigilante alter ego.

"My character has been on a centuries long mission to locate Bruce and finally finds him, and will do anything he can to get his hands on him, to manipulate him into what [Ra's] wants him to be," Siddig says. "That is going to be Bruce's biggest challenge. Just how dark will he go? How far is he prepared to follow Ra's al Guhl?" According to the actor, Season 4 is going to be "a season so far of extremes" -- so get ready for things to get even darker on Gotham.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/09/13/g...-barbara-kean/

Quote:
Anything on Scarecrow’s time in Gotham? — Adam
If you’re a Scarecrow fan, you’re going to want to watch episode 2 of the season, which focuses heavily on the new villain and his effect on the city. “People have to face their own worst fears and end up sort of embodying them and living through their own nightmares,” Ben McKenzie says. “It’s a little nightmarish. It has a fright movie feel to it. It’s fun.”
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/07/spoiler-...ow-good-place/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Really like this shot... The Cat and the Bat.

I would say Selina and Bruce, as well as Bruce and Penguin's interaction are 2 that I am especially looking forward to in the season premiere.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is

Last edited by ironman29758; 09-14-2017 at 12:25 AM.
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #718
Kathemy
It could happen to you

... And we are now in the week of the return. :'-)

Old 09-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #719
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
And that's where Bruce's fighting skills come into play. He'd annihilate the middle schooler.

Why would I want to? If I don't care enough about a show to watch it, how valuable is my opinion of it?
Fair enough, but I'm on these boards for discussion. If you don't feel my opinion is of any value, just skip it buddy. No big deal.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #720
Kathemy
It could happen to you

I think the reason we are a little edgy is that these drive-by shootings are so common.

Like, if you preface your comment with "I don't watch the show, so it isn't like I really care, but..." ... well, that's sort of belittling the show to start with. It also tells us that it's pretty unlikely you will have an informed opinion. If I were you, I'd just leave that stuff out.

As for your actual contention, that "this seems EXTREMELY early for any sort of proto Batman"... Well, yeah. It is. There's also ample reason why things have worked out this way on this show. And if you know your canon you know that "teenage Bruce Wayne as vigilante" does have precedence all the way back to 1955.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #721
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
I think the reason we are a little edgy is that these drive-by shootings are so common.

Like, if you preface your comment with "I don't watch the show, so it isn't like I really care, but..." ... well, that's sort of belittling the show to start with. It also tells us that it's pretty unlikely you will have an informed opinion. If I were you, I'd just leave that stuff out.

As for your actual contention, that "this seems EXTREMELY early for any sort of proto Batman"... Well, yeah. It is. There's also ample reason why things have worked out this way on this show. And if you know your canon you know that "teenage Bruce Wayne as vigilante" does have precedence all the way back to 1955.
Honestly, it's just that the picture is so ridiculous. The actor is so tiny that to imagine him striking any sort of fear into anyone is laughable, and how he could be effective at his size is, again, just a problem. If he was a bit older and a bit more physically developed, it wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous. IDK...if he's just out there like overcoming his fear of heights or something, or possibly he's learning how to traverse the city in a Batman type fashion, that's one thing. If he physically fights anyone with any kind of size difference and whips their ass? That's too much...I'm aware that smaller people whip the piss out of larger people all the time, but he's a child...and obviously so. That's my only real issue with it.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #722
Kathemy
It could happen to you

First, David Mazouz is sixteen years old. That's not "a child" where I live.

Second, he isn't even "tiny." He's as tall as Ben McKenzie. He towers over Camren, and I never hear any complaints about her fighting.

Third, I have a different attitude to this, as I have been boxing (among other things.) I've met people who didn't look like the Hulk, who were teenagers and perfectly capable of handing me my ass in the ring, and at the time I was 24 years old, 6'3" and 180 pounds. I know from experience that looks can be deceiving.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #723
Guts
My love for you

I have a night class on Thursday, so I won't be able to watch the first half of the season as it airs on TV.

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #724
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
First, David Mazouz is sixteen years old. That's not "a child" where I live.

Second, he isn't even "tiny." He's as tall as Ben McKenzie. He towers over Camren, and I never hear any complaints about her fighting.

Third, I have a different attitude to this, as I have been boxing (among other things.) I've met people who didn't look like the Hulk, who were teenagers and perfectly capable of handing me my ass in the ring, and at the time I was 24 years old, 6'3" and 180 pounds. I know from experience that looks can be deceiving.
Well I don't know where you are from, but looking it up, David Mazouz was born in the great state of California, in the United States of a America. Which means he still needs to ask his parents permission before he makes play dates. More importantly, he looks it. Looks, big part of theatricality and deception.

Also, not sure why you needed to tell us you were so bad at boxing, but that is pretty irrelevant here. Because even someone who is tiny who knows how to fight, move and fight as such.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 09-18-2017 at 01:09 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 AM   #725
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

The thing is this is TV and in TV and movies perception is reality, you need to sell the believeability of someone kicking ass, whether it's with how they look or how convincingly they move in the stunt fights. You could legitimately be the baddest guy on the planet but if you can't sell it then it wont work in a ficitonal environment.