The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Daredevil

Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Default Was dissolving Nelson & Murdock the right thing to do?

I know Matt wasn't being reliable, but breaking up Nelson & Murdock, was that the right thing to do or not? I feel there's no "yes" or "no" answer here and while I understand the reasons the firm fell apart, I also feel the three of them could've toughed it and out and tried to soldier on even after everything that happened in the season up to that point.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Random490
Side-Kick

Default Re: Was dissolving Nelson & Murdock the right thing to do?

I kind of wished it didn't, but Matt's double life and Karen being an investigator was wearing thin. I'm glad they're willing to change up the status quo like that.

Before Defenders I was picturing Matt receiving an inheritance from Elektra and using that to continue the law firm with a new staff.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
KevTravels
Side-Kick

I'm sure by end of season 3 they get together again as partners

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think in terms of storytelling they did it too early. I would've waited for season 3 or doing a born again story to try something like that.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
the gael
Side-Kick

I'm sure they did it to launch their version of the Born Again storyline for season 3. Then, when Matt will rebuilt his life, Nelson and Murdock will reopen. As for Karen, on the other hand, I don't know. She will probably continue her reporter job. Wouldn't mind if, when rebuilt, Nelson and Murdock engage a new secretary... Would love to see Becky Blake

the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Honestly, while the law firm had dissolved in the comics as well by Born Again, doing it in the show has made Born Again harder because it doesn't establish Matt's life the way it needs to be established. The Kingpin has to ruin it while it's pretty close to rock bottom as is.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 AM   #7
Whatupman
Side-Kick

Only if they do Born Again in season 3, which hopefully they won't do. Better off saving that for season 4.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gael View Post
I'm sure they did it to launch their version of the Born Again storyline for season 3. Then, when Matt will rebuilt his life, Nelson and Murdock will reopen. As for Karen, on the other hand, I don't know. She will probably continue her reporter job. Wouldn't mind if, when rebuilt, Nelson and Murdock engage a new secretary... Would love to see Becky Blake
Foggy seems to be happy doing his own thing for Jeryn Hogarth now.

- CM Punk
Old 09-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Honestly, while the law firm had dissolved in the comics as well by Born Again, doing it in the show has made Born Again harder because it doesn't establish Matt's life the way it needs to be established. The Kingpin has to ruin it while it's pretty close to rock bottom as is.
They could just have Fisk start by ruining Foggy's life.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #10
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
With Karen, it's a tough call. I'd love to see her come back to her old job because the image of Matt, Karen and Foggy as a kicking ass law trio under one roof is very iconic and I would give anything to see it again. It is hard to imagine the office without her, and no one could match Karen in being the glue that holds the office together.

But on the other hand, the reporter job feels like it was tailor-made for someone as inquisitive as Karen. She says as much at the diner in the beginning of The Defenders that working at the Bulletin feels like what she’s meant to be doing. Investigative journalism is something Karen has a talent for, and where that takes her career is more interesting than having her stay Matt and Foggy's secretary. And there's possibly more mileage to be gained when you don't have all three lead protagonists working under one roof and within ten feet of each other. So Daredevil hopefully will utilize Karen's strengths in journalism rather than backpedal her career to fit a status quo.

But the trio of Nelson, Murdock & Page working together is an iconic dynamic in the show, so hopefully *Daredevil* will find a new way for Karen to constantly be around Matt and Foggy, and helping them with cases as she comes into her own to fill Ben Urich's shoes.

There's also the fact that Karen is firmly established within the narrative to be Matt's main love interest. It would actually be a bit of an issue for Karen to come back to Nelson & Murdock if she's dating Matt, because of the imbalance of two co-workers dating in a three-person law firm. Besides Matt is more moral and righteous than Jeri Hogarth.

On a related note, Charlie Cox has said on the Con circuit over the last year that the lessons Matt learns in The Defenders will carry over into Daredevil season 3, and two that hopefully stick are A) that he finally realizes that it's wrong to unnecessarily withhold important information from those he cares about and make unilateral decisions without their input, so he needs to be open and honest with Karen and Foggy, and B) he finally realizes that he only makes things worse by isolating himself from the people who know and love him.

Last edited by dmcreif; 09-15-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #11
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcreif View Post
Once again you have to build Matt back up if you want to adapt that story.

- CM Punk
Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #12
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcreif View Post
Which also would be an entirely different story. The point of Born Again is Matt's breakdown and depression in response to his life being systematically dismantled.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Foggy seems to be happy doing his own thing for Jeryn Hogarth now.
I think in the future, though, we'll see Foggy come to miss the sort of work he did with Matt.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #14
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
As I said, it's something I'm torn about. I would like to see Karen come back to Nelson & Murdock, but at the same time, the Bulletin job feels like something more suited to her skills. I mean, if Nelson & Murdock is to get back together, what would we expect, another secretary? Or will they have no secretary at all? Yes, there are journalists who work two jobs, but it doesn’t seem like the path Karen is intending to take.

Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM   #15
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
I kind of wished it didn't, but Matt's double life and Karen being an investigator was wearing thin. I'm glad they're willing to change up the status quo like that.

Before Defenders I was picturing Matt receiving an inheritance from Elektra and using that to continue the law firm with a new staff.
I do kinda hope that Nelson & Murdock get their awesome reputation back, Karen and Foggy quit their jobs to come back to the firm, everyone's happy, no one's mad, blah blah blah.