The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's The Inhumans

View Poll Results: Are you excited about this show?
Yes 59 85.51%
No 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #176
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 2

Advertisers don't give a crap about streaming (delayed viewing is different depending on the source of the delayed viewing), but networks do care if they can recoup their costs by charging more for Netflix to air it or sell digital downloads/Blu Ray sales.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #177
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 2

They have yet to release season 3 and 4 of Aos in bluray and DVD... So I'm sticking to what I just said. ABC's drama division is not doing well and their pilots/new shows don't seem promising at all. So instead spending money on potential new flops, they just renewed veteran shows which are cheaper to produce. And if anyone saw how the Vfx keeps getting worse for Ouat, that should indicate that they do cut budget and I expect the same for Aos 5. The Friday timeslot is also another indication and they do have to fill slots.

Banshee • Forge • Dazzler • Marrow • Sage • Professor X
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:25 AM   #178
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

So...is this as bad as they're saying it is?

Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #179
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I've seen worse TV shows.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #180
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
So...is this as bad as they're saying it is?
As bad as they're saying? Well, that depends on who the they is that is saying it. I thought the io9 review was spot on. Metacritic has had three reviews that were "mixed" (not good but not bad either). Rotten Tomatoes had 12 people who reviewed it with an average score of 3.8, but none thought it was good. Both have a terrible sample size. I would say somewhere between a four or five out of ten would be more appropriate (where six is considered "fresh"), but it's in that ballpark.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #181
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Scott Buck now has the worst seasons of Dexter, a mediocre Iron Fist and now this on his resume. Will be interesting to see what his next project is next.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #182
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They have yet to release season 3 and 4 of Aos in bluray and DVD... So I'm sticking to what I just said. ABC's drama division is not doing well and their pilots/new shows don't seem promising at all. So instead spending money on potential new flops, they just renewed veteran shows which are cheaper to produce. And if anyone saw how the Vfx keeps getting worse for Ouat, that should indicate that they do cut budget and I expect the same for Aos 5. The Friday timeslot is also another indication and they do have to fill slots.
Seasons 3 and 4 have been released on home media; just not in the US

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #183
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Scott Buck now has the worst seasons of Dexter, a mediocre Iron Fist and now this on his resume. Will be interesting to see what his next project is next.
Iron Fist Season 3?

I mean, hey, Marvel brought him on board for Inhumans after they saw the reception that Iron Fist received...

NotNickFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #184
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Meanwhile over at the movies division of Marvel Studios.....

Kevin Feige practices an evil laugh when he hears Inhumans is a massive failure.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #185
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Which IMO is unnecessary. Its a shame that the Inhumans got treated like the Fantastic Four, but worse it wasn't deemed good enough for a film, but Gotg can.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #186
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
As bad as they're saying? Well, that depends on who the they is that is saying it. I thought the io9 review was spot on. Metacritic has had three reviews that were "mixed" (not good but not bad either). Rotten Tomatoes had 12 people who reviewed it with an average score of 3.8, but none thought it was good. Both have a terrible sample size. I would say somewhere between a four or five out of ten would be more appropriate (where six is considered "fresh"), but it's in that ballpark.
Its up to eight percent.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #187
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

0% for IMAX, 8% for TV. I think there's a fair difference of judging IMAX on IMAX standards as opposed to TV standards. Of course, the only real difference is on extra review, which shows the problem with ridiculously small sample sizes.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #188
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Iron Fist Season 3?

I mean, hey, Marvel brought him on board for Inhumans after they saw the reception that Iron Fist received...
Inhumans had already started production by the time IF came out, no? I'm pretty sure that by then it was too late to replace Buck seeing as how they had to meet that IMAX release date.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #189
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post

Kevin Feige practices an evil laugh when he hears Inhumans is a massive failure.
can you elaborate?

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #190
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
If they could get Samuel L. Jackson for an eight episode TV series, that would have been spectacular. He loves B movies too so that might have worked.

I could see the movie side of things pushing back on that, though, because he's a character they like to use in movies. The height of collaboration between the two groups was Agent Carter season one (which is noteworthy for being very good too, fwiw). We don't exactly know how much input the movie side had aside from Feige suggesting the post-credits thing from the final episode, but if Agent Carter required at least input from the movie side, I suspect a Nick Fury TV show would get outright vetoed since Feige has said several times that he doesn't want to do TV shows and is less likely to delegate a core movie character to Jeph Loeb.
And therein lies the problem that I believe will ultimately hinder the TV side especially on projects like this. Whether it is Perlmutter not cooperating or Feige just not caring about TV, we are going to see more and more issues on the TV side. Loeb has done an admirable job to this point but without strong connective tissue between the two divisions, TV is going to end up as extraneous material rather than supplemental.

Going back to the Fury example. In an ideal situation where TV and film are under one umbrella, they could've produced a pretty awesome mini-series about Fury's activities since AoU through Civil War. They could do a sort of conspiracy thriller where Fury has his own team made up of Maria Hill, Sharon Carter, Deathlok and Clay Quartermain that ends in a revelation about Thanos. All the while they could be working on Inhumans in the background for 2018, leveraging the likes of Andy Park, Ryan Meinerding, and the Marvel Studios costuming department to really make something unique. Again, ideal situation but this really makes me want this type of organization that would allow for some really deep multi-level storytelling.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #191
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
0% for IMAX, 8% for TV. I think there's a fair difference of judging IMAX on IMAX standards as opposed to TV standards. Of course, the only real difference is on extra review, which shows the problem with ridiculously small sample sizes.
When it comes to TV ratings, I don't find Rt reliable. I use Metacritic instead. But still a bad rating from Rt is not a good sight.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #192
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

^ I'm not a fan of using Rotten Tomatoes either. Honestly, when it comes to TV, there's a problem with using reviewers not using consistent measurements or using too short of a measurement. Shows vary from episode to episode in quality and often take time to get their feet under them. Reviewers give ratings as if they're rating an entire series instead of a pilot, which is misleading. However, I think aggregate reviewing sites has been a net positive for movies so I'd hate to disregard them entirely for TV. And, yes, people consistently finding something mediocre does a good job of indicating that it is, in fact, mediocre. It doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever, but that's a good way of showing you'll feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Inhumans had already started production by the time IF came out, no? I'm pretty sure that by then it was too late to replace Buck seeing as how they had to meet that IMAX release date.
Yeah, he was announced as show runner before Iron Fist came out. When they announced it, my first reaction was that it was a positive sign for Iron Fist. I felt it showed Marvel had confidence that Scott Buck could do strange and fantastical concepts well since he was given the two strangest Marvel properties. I can say I was definitely wrong there. Although, to his credit, while he seems afraid of the weirdness, he's never explicitly changed it. Danny Rand still fought a dragon and the Inhumans still have a teleporting dog.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #193
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post

I doubt Feige would be happy to see any Marvel property across any platform fail.

Any Marvel project failing can hurt the overall Marvel brand.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #194
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Yeah, I think people are projecting their own dislike on an Inhumans project onto Kevin Feige. I think at most he might have a smug "I told you do" if he felt the project was unfilmable in any medium.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #195
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Any property could be turn into a good film with the right people. I like Kevin Feige's consistent track record. But tossing away the Inhumans to TV is in my opinion a wrong decision.

Also, I get the feeling that Marvel TV wants to produce as much TV shows as they can (while the iron is hot), so that's not another problem. Film division doesn't plan to use this property now, TV division will pick it up and the finish product looks cheap.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #196
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I think it's accurate to say Marvel TV will produce any project someone is willing to give them money to produce, while the movie side can only invest a certain amount of money at a time until the project is complete and they recoup their investment. It's just the difference between movies and TV.

I will give Freeform credit here. They paid to develop Cloak and Dagger and then, it seems, had them take their time to get it right (which I hope it will be, I can't say Freeform's opinion on what is "right" and mine are necessarily the same).

Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #197
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
His resume speaks for itself, and it's saying, "Stay the **** away from me! For the love of God, stay the **** away!!!!"

Old 09-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #198
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

We don't know Feige tossed the Inhumans to TV. The whole Feige doesn't care for the Inhumans and Ike was pushing for a movie thing is just a rumor.

Inhumans may not of been a property Feige was the most passionate about but that doesn't mean he was against them having a movie all together.

Kevin Feige said he liked Drew Pearce Runaways script but he just didn't see a place for it in the movies current line up and now that property is a TV series.

Realistically Marvel and the other studios can only produce so many movies a year without pushing into over saturation territory. Not every character is going to get a movie trilogy.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #199
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

No, but they need to put some of this stuff on the backburner. They're eventually gonna need to dip their toes into some of the lesser known properties, and I'd hate for them to have wasted them on unnecessary TV shows. Now, if they're quality, that's one thing, but if for every DD we get an Inhumans...just leave it be and come back to it later.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #200
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
No, but they need to put some of this stuff on the backburner. They're eventually gonna need to dip their toes into some of the lesser known properties, and I'd hate for them to have wasted them on unnecessary TV shows. Now, if they're quality, that's one thing, but if for every DD we get an Inhumans...just leave it be and come back to it later.
Exactly..... Marvel and James Gunn do seem to be hinting at that Guardians of the Galaxy cosmic cinematic universe as the future of the MCU. You would think Fiege would save the Inhumans for that.

Zant is online now   Reply With Quote