The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #351
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester
 
Lantern Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Central Power Battery
Posts: 9,674
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Huh? All-New Wolverine has sold under 30k while Mighty Thor and Unworthy Thor have sold in the 40k-46k. Old Man Logan was in the 38k. All under WW and Superman's numbers.
.
Thor and Wolverine's Generations books were both in the Top 10 sellers for August 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post

In August, DC had three titles in the top ten selling comics (all Batman) and Marvel had the other 7. Saying Marvel is in trouble is basically saying the comic book industry is in trouble. DC had a good boost with Rebirth. I'm sure Marvel will get a boost with the next thing they try. It's part of the over all problem with the structure.
Sadly, it seems that Rebirth has lost a lot of steam over the last year. I'm guessing that DC will retool their slate of releases soon. When I see titles like Green Arrow and Teen Titans dropping sharply, I'm guessing that doesn't sit well with the DC brass.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
There are genuine complaints about Marvel trying and failing to create new legacy characters, that are more diverse. I can understand those not being eager for a sudden replacement of a fan favorite character. And choosing to not buy a book without your favorite character is not wrong.

But lets not gloss over the fact that there is a very ugly, regressive segment in geekdom. That a lot of these attitudes are based on the "no girls allowed" clubhouse, that parity is enough to make them feel threatened.

That said, I maintain that Marvels issues are more business related, rather than creative. Double shipping. Expansive, and expensive, events. Complete failure to capitalize the trade market. Frankly, the both the big two need to realize that basing your series completely on a dying market, the monthly physical issue sales, you have a problem. The market is changing, but they don't seem to be quite willing to adapt to it.
It's going to be quite interesting to see how print comics change over the next 20 years. Millennials and minimalists are gravitating to digital comics while many veteran comic readers are choosing to wait for TPBs and hardcovers. Monthly print issues are in a weird place with readers who consume the product in very different ways.

__________________
11-3-17: Enter The Arena
11-17-17: Unite
That's my purse. I don't know you.
R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #352
geetard
Rebirth
 
geetard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 8,715
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
In August, DC had three titles in the top ten selling comics (all Batman) and Marvel had the other 7. Saying Marvel is in trouble is basically saying the comic book industry is in trouble. DC had a good boost with Rebirth. I'm sure Marvel will get a boost with the next thing they try. It's part of the over all problem with the structure.
Those seven Marvel books are 2x Star Wars, 3x Secret Empire (an event) and two tie-ins/one-shots which have that #1 slapped on the cover. If you go down the list, the first Marvel book that is not SW, not an event and not a #1 is Amazing Spider-Man at the 18th spot. If we remove events, #1s and SW books, the top 10 would look like:

1. Batman
2. Batman
3. Walking Dead
4. Batman
5. Batman
6. Spider-Man
7. Flash
8. Batman
9. X-Men
10. Justice League

-edit- Those numbers I had for Thor/Wolverine are wrong. I was looking at a previous month earlier in the year. Old Man Logan sold around the same as WW but the others are still under WW and Supes books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
Thor and Wolverine's Generations books were both in the Top 10 sellers for August 2017.

Sadly, it seems that Rebirth has lost a lot of steam over the last year. I'm guessing that DC will retool their slate of releases soon. When I see titles like Green Arrow and Teen Titans dropping sharply, I'm guessing that doesn't sit well with the DC brass.
Those Generations books are #1s so I purposely left them out. All books go down so I don't think anyone expects any book to stay high very long. Some books stabilize better than others.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #353
Sithborg
The new ewoks
 
Sithborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 11,989
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post


It's going to be quite interesting to see how print comics change over the next 20 years. Millennials and minimalists are gravitating to digital comics while many veteran comic readers are choosing to wait for TPBs and hardcovers. Monthly print issues are in a weird place with readers who consume the product in very different ways.
What should always be said.

%@#$ Diamond.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #354
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 32,889
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
There are genuine complaints about Marvel trying and failing to create new legacy characters, that are more diverse. I can understand those not being eager for a sudden replacement of a fan favorite character. And choosing to not buy a book without your favorite character is not wrong.

But lets not gloss over the fact that there is a very ugly, regressive segment in geekdom. That a lot of these attitudes are based on the "no girls allowed" clubhouse, that parity is enough to make them feel threatened.

That said, I maintain that Marvels issues are more business related, rather than creative. Double shipping. Expansive, and expensive, events. Complete failure to capitalize the trade market. Frankly, the both the big two need to realize that basing your series completely on a dying market, the monthly physical issue sales, you have a problem. The market is changing, but they don't seem to be quite willing to adapt to it.
I agree.

I was a fan of BKV's Runaways and i'm looking forward to them coming back. The Runaways was a diverse group of young heroes that I'm glad Marvel is pushing again (even if it is only because they have a TV show coming out).

__________________
All aboard the Pork Chop Express!
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #355
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 26,298
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Are you saying people voted for Trump to get revenge on liberals for calling them bigots? Give me a break.
I'm not going to get into it, but I'm surprised that you think this is an impossibility. Think of how much of a surge Trump got after Hillary's Basket of Deplorables comment? And that was nothing. Calling people racist? Sexist? That'll jade anyone. I know quite a few people who were on the fence who went Trump based on how liberals were labeling people. This has been stated over and over again all over the nation. It's pretty much accepted as fact by many on the right and center at this point. And being that not much has changed among the far left and it's only gotten worse among the left's leadership... I think it'll continue in 2020.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #356
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan
 
random_havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I agree.

I was a fan of BKV's Runaways and i'm looking forward to them coming back. The Runaways was a diverse group of young heroes that I'm glad Marvel is pushing again (even if it is only because they have a TV show coming out).
Runaways was amazing! I hope they can match the tone and quality of three original volume. And I love that they're bringing back the original characters instead of just misusing the name like they did with the Ultimates

__________________
Fox's Marvel movies: Good, great, awful, ok, even more awful, awful, SO awful, good, terrible, Surprisingly good, Terrible, good...
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #357
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 26,298
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
Runaways was amazing! I hope they can match the tone and quality of three original volume. And I love that they're bringing back the original characters instead of just misusing the name like they did with the Ultimates NEARLY EVERY TITLE THEY BRING BACK
I fixed that for you

I loved BKV's Runaways run but never did get around to reading what came after. Were they worth reading?

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #358
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored
 
BoredGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 14 N Moore St
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I'm not going to get into it, but I'm surprised that you think this is an impossibility. Think of how much of a surge Trump got after Hillary's Basket of Deplorables comment? And that was nothing. Calling people racist? Sexist? That'll jade anyone. I know quite a few people who were on the fence who went Trump based on how liberals were labeling people. This has been stated over and over again all over the nation. It's pretty much accepted as fact by many on the right and center at this point. And being that not much has changed among the far left and it's only gotten worse among the left's leadership... I think it'll continue in 2020.
I hear that, but I also personally know various lifelong republicans who were forced to vote for Hillary despite their hate, like absolute hate, for her because of the vile s**t coming out of Trumps camp, so it cuts both ways. What was the net impact? Not sure because she still beat him by 3 million votes, but lost the important rust belt states and thus the election. Id say if anything, the rhetoric from both sides simply encouraged more isolation and made blue places bluer and red places redder

__________________
@BIGKEVINK
BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #359
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan
 
random_havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I fixed that for you

I loved BKV's Runaways run but never did get around to reading what came after. Were they worth reading?
Thanks! Yep, completely agree

__________________
Fox's Marvel movies: Good, great, awful, ok, even more awful, awful, SO awful, good, terrible, Surprisingly good, Terrible, good...
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #360
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan
 
random_havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I hear that, but I also personally know various lifelong republicans who were forced to vote for Hillary despite their hate, like absolute hate, for her because of the vile s**t coming out of Trumps camp, so it cuts both ways. What was the net impact? Not sure because she still beat him by 3 million votes, but lost the important rust belt states and thus the election. Id say if anything, the rhetoric from both sides simply encouraged more isolation and made blue places bluer and red places redder
Yeah that was the biggest mistake on the Dem side, having her be the candidate (which they did everything they could to fix it to make sure she was). I think almost any other major Dem candidate would've been able to beat Trump, but Hillary was just way too widely hated for a number of reasons.

__________________
Fox's Marvel movies: Good, great, awful, ok, even more awful, awful, SO awful, good, terrible, Surprisingly good, Terrible, good...
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #361
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange
 
Mad Ones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,115
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

It's interesting how well Star Wars sells. Isn't that another brand that many raging "fans" claim has been "hijacked" by SJWs LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
What I'm saying is that there are people who hold different views than you, and so you've deemed them "garbage". You're views are so high and mighty and holy that anyone who thinks different is "garbage" apparently. You know what that kind of rank arrogance does? It insults people and pisses them off. So do I think people vote for Trump out of revenge for the exact kind of attitude? Absolutely. By the millions in fact. Trump is one of the worst possible people to vote for I've ever seen and seeing your comments even makes me almost want to throw a vote for him. I can only imagine if I was one of the people who lived in the US's Bible belt type states and kept getting called names for years on end.
Next time someone claims that "SJW arguments are only based on emotion" I can direct them to this post. You use the same "high and mighty" rhetoric that you claim I do. As someone who grew up differently from the norm in a very conservative place, I can attest to how much damage willful ignorance does. And I don't think "not being transphobic and not supporting transphobic policies," again as an example, is a "view" rather as a moral obligation to not infringe on someone's rights because of a bigoted world view where transpeople, immigrants, etc are less human than the normative citizen. I don't get the logic around being so mad at someone calling you a bigot that you vote for a bigot. Trump promised these people what they feel they are entitled to and what they feel they were losing - dominance. Best way to prove you're a deplorable is by voting in someone with deplorable policies and rhetoric.

__________________
X-men: Apocalypse review http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=711

Last edited by Mad Ones; 09-13-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #362
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 32,889
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I fixed that for you

I loved BKV's Runaways run but never did get around to reading what came after. Were they worth reading?
I wasn't a fan of Whedon's run personally.

__________________
All aboard the Pork Chop Express!
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #363
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan
 
random_havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
It's interesting how well Star Wars sells. Isn't that another brand that many raging "fans" have claimed has been "hijacked" by SJWs LOL

Next time someone claims that "SJW arguments are only based on emotion" I can direct them to this post. You use the same "high and mighty" rhetoric that you claim I do. As someone who grew up differently from the norm in a very conservative place, I can attest to how much damage willful ignorance does. And I don't think "not being transphobic and not supporting transphobic policies," again as an example, is a "view" rather as a moral obligation to not infringe on someone's rights because of a bigoted world view where transpeople, immigrants, etc are less human than the normative citizen. I don't get the logic around being so mad at someone calling you a bigot that you vote for a bigot. Trump promised these people what they feel they are entitled to and what they feel they were losing - dominance. Best way to prove you're a deplorable is by voting in someone with deplorable policies and rhetoric.
I'm not up on the current Star Wars titles, but I'm guessing they didn't replace Luke Skywalker with a diversity character, so that's one thing that they're doing better.


You couldn't have possibly missed the point more. Of course my post was about emotion because I wrote about my emotion to try and show the effect that your ridiculously superior attitude results in, just as the same attitude resulted in pushing people to vote the way they did. I wasn't acting on that emotion or basing my decisions on my emotion, I was explaining it to you. The difference is also that I'm not saying you're garbage, I'm trying to point out to you the results of your attitude, which you blindly deny, I'm trying to reason with you rather than make up a label to slap on you. I'm trying to say that you have reasons to be on the side you're on and they have reasons to be on the side they're on, and throwing insults at the other side doesn't help and only shows ignorance of first understanding why they are where they are.
Here's an article I recommend https://medium.com/@SeanBlanda/the-o...b-2670c1294063

__________________
Fox's Marvel movies: Good, great, awful, ok, even more awful, awful, SO awful, good, terrible, Surprisingly good, Terrible, good...
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #364
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange
 
Mad Ones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,115
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
I'm not up on the current Star Wars titles, but I'm guessing they didn't replace Luke Skywalker with a diversity character, so that's one thing that they're doing better.


You couldn't have possibly missed the point more. Of course my post was about emotion because I wrote about my emotion to try and show the effect that your ridiculously superior attitude results in, just as the same attitude resulted in pushing people to vote the way they did. I wasn't acting on that emotion or basing my decisions on my emotion, I was explaining it to you. The difference is also that I'm not saying you're garbage, I'm trying to point out to you the results of your attitude, which you blindly deny, I'm trying to reason with you rather than make up a label to slap on you. I'm trying to say that you have reasons to be on the side you're on and they have reasons to be on the side they're on, and throwing insults at the other side doesn't help and only shows ignorance of first understanding why they are where they are.
Here's an article I recommend https://medium.com/@SeanBlanda/the-o...b-2670c1294063
If you don't support Trump's awful policies and practices, then I'm not calling you anything. I'm not even talking about the nuances of something complicated like, say, healthcare. I'm talking about the things Trump has done that are cut and dry. There isn't an intelligent fact based reason to ban transpeople from the military. All the research on sanctuary cities goes against what Trump says. Arpaio was found guilty of racial profiling. If you buy into fake news and alt facts, then I don't see the point of sympathizing.

We have some people in this thread posting and defending youtube channels like "Diversity and Comics" that advocates for Kamala Khan's brother to be a terrorist, pushes a theory that Jean Grey converted Iceman into being "a purse puppy", is afraid that Marvel is making Kitty Pryde into a transgender character because she has short hair and isn't "cute" anymore. Ya, these are the people I don't care to "understand" and I've been surrounded by them my whole life. If they're not dumb, they're trolls - with real effects.

__________________
X-men: Apocalypse review http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=711

Last edited by Mad Ones; 09-13-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #365
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 26,298
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
If you don't support Trump's awful policies and practices, then I'm not calling you anything. I'm not even talking about the nuances of something complicated like, say, healthcare. I'm talking about the things Trump has done that are cut and dry. There isn't an intelligent fact based reason to ban transpeople from the military. All the research on sanctuary cities goes against what Trump says. Arpaio was found guilty of racial profiling. If you buy into fake news and alt facts, then I don't see the point of sympathizing.

We have some people in this thread posting and defending youtube channels like "Diversity and Comics" that advocates for Kamala Khan's brother to be a terrorist, pushes a theory that Jean Grey converted Iceman into being "a purse puppy", is afraid that Marvel is making Kitty Pryde transgender because she has short hair and isn't "cute" anymore. Ya, these are the people I don't care to "understand" and I've been surrounded by them my whole life. If they're not dumb, they're trolls - with real effects.
Just an observation based on what you've said here and in other posts I've read over the years... I think you are too quick to lump those you disagree with in with those who you've had negative experiences with in your past. As a wise man once said... "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." The majority of people who disagree with you do so with absolutely no fault or ill will. They just come from a different perspective without an inch of hate in their heart (or desire to stay dominant, which I find to be such a silly accusation).

You keep mentioning the trans/military thing. I think you're missing a very easy, obvious reason for people not to mind that ban. At least it is in my case. When the vast majority of America has no contact or relationship with a trans person (them being extreme minorities) and high ranking military officials ask Trump to ban them from serving... I just assume those officials know more about their job than I do. I'm no trans expert and I'm no military expert... so I opt to just leave it up to those who know best.

On a personal level, however, I do vaguely know two trans people and I wouldn't trust either of them to be in the military due to their mental states (one's attempted suicide multiple times and the other I don't expect to live another 2 years). Then I hear... I think it was Lady Gaga... say something like 45% of the trans community has attempted suicide, and maybe I can see why a place that breaks you down as a person in horrible ways in attempts to build you back up in their image might not be the best situation for these people. I'm not saying they can't do it or shouldn't be able to, but I suppose based on my limited exposure to trans people and my limited knowledge of how the military works I can see a little reason in it.

Is it because I think less of the trans community? No. Is it because I don't think they CAN do it? No. Simply put... I'm just fine with letting those who know their craft make the decisions regarding their craft. Especially when their craft is one of the most dangerous professions that there is.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #366
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange
 
Mad Ones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,115
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

That is very ignorant when the information is out there. Your sample size of vaguely knowing 2 transpeople is insignificant. Minority communities have higher rates of suicide and depression because they live in a society that largely rejects them (signified by Trump literally banning an entire population based off of some vague "high ranked" person -- lets not forget how many high ranked people didn't want gays and lesbians to serve too). There is no inherent link between being transgender and mentally ill aside from the social circumstance they are put into by a society who thinks they're already sick. A lot of those formerly serving transpeople may have been kicked out of their home at a young age or are tired of being treated as monsters when they go out in public, so they don't have a lot of opportunities except for maybe something like military service. And a lot of them genuinely want to serve. Hell, CNN had on a transperson whose life was spent in service and is greatly impacted by this ban, and he was heartbroken but of course that's fake news. And don't forget that Trump banned them with a tweet and cited "distractions" - where are the "facts" there? What distractions?? The military will continue to spend more on viagra than they ever did for healthcare for transpeople.

"Not minding the ban" just amounts to zero empathy and zero will to even learn.

__________________
X-men: Apocalypse review http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=711

Last edited by Mad Ones; 09-13-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #367
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan
 
random_havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Jewhob it doesn't matter what different perspectives you give, or rational arguments for that matter. You've already been deemed garbage so why would he listen to you? His perspective is clearly already set

__________________
Fox's Marvel movies: Good, great, awful, ok, even more awful, awful, SO awful, good, terrible, Surprisingly good, Terrible, good...
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #368
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 26,298
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
Jewhob it doesn't matter what different perspectives you give, or rational arguments for that matter. You've already been deemed garbage so why would he listen to you? His perspective is clearly already set
True. It's not even on topic with the thread so I'll opt to back out of the conversation as it currently is.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #369
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange
 
Mad Ones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,115
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
Jewhob it doesn't matter what different perspectives you give, or rational arguments for that matter. You've already been deemed garbage so why would he listen to you? His perspective is clearly already set
What part of "I vaguely know two transpeople with issues so all transpeople shouldnt be allowed in the military" sounds rational to you? And you very sneakily collapse the difference between "different views" and "transphobic"

Whatever, Jewish Hobbit comes into this thread he created, mentions Trump, and then backs off when confronted because its suddenly off topic.

__________________
X-men: Apocalypse review http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=711

Last edited by Mad Ones; 09-13-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #370
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
KRYPTON INC.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 48,470
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Damn is this thread a garbage fire of bovine excrement.

KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #371
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill
 
bell110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,103
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
or that Trump gave those white guys in Charlottesville the legitimacy to march etc,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Are you saying people voted for Trump to get revenge on liberals for calling them bigots? Give me a break.
Ohhhh, I came here to mention something else, but then read these, and I guess I'm a masochist so I had to take the bait.

That first part is why I had to stop watching the news. "Those white guys" have every right to legitimately march, as protected under the first amendment, no matter how much you hate them. The KKK, white supremacists, and neo-Nazis have held rallies for decades without incident. This idea that "hate speech isn't protected under free speech" is absolutely false and antithetical to the very concept of "free speech". The problem was/is Antifa. Surely you've heard of them. They are the loose organization of violent, hateful, pseudo-anarchist, ironically fascist, extreme leftists. They believe "punching a Nazi" is justified, and anybody they disagree with can be considered a Nazi. They've been around for a while and have caused chaos well before Charlottesville. And the media completely gave them a free pass and even criticized Trump for correctly pointing out that both sides engaged in violence. They say, "You can equate these "counter protesters" to Nazis", which is wrong because the are 100% opposite sides of the same coin. My mother, who has hated Trump since the 70s (she was raised in Queens) even had to admit that that was the one time Trump was correct about anything.

For the second part, as a 37 year old who has never voted Republican, I can say yes, that is one of the reason I voted for Trump. Democrats tried the age old strategy of divide and conquer. Strip everybody down into their superficial traits; skin color, gender, sexuality, ect, thinking that would stack the electorate in their favor, and dismissing the concerns of white males as just being "scared of losing power" or just straight up bigotry. Worried about stagnant wages and the lost of quality jobs or worried about your children's future? Nah, your just a racist. How could anybody vote for a candidate that literally called half the population that she wanted to govern, deplorable. She puts the wants of foreign citizens above the needs of American citizens, and if you speak out against that, you're xenophobic. Yeah, when you constantly pick at people that just want to live their life, eventually they are going to fight back, and that's how Trump got elected.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #372
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange
 
Mad Ones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,115
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Damn is this thread a garbage fire of bovine excrement.
Are you surprised considering the thread title lol. This thread is in danger of becoming the place where the posters chased out of the Trump thread for not being able to carry a rational, coherent argument come for refuge.

__________________
X-men: Apocalypse review http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=711
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #373
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 26,298
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Are you surprised considering the thread title lol. This thread is in danger of becoming the place where the posters chased out of the Trump thread for not being able to carry a rational, coherent argument come for refuge.
A.K.A. People who got tired of being belittled and insulted in mob fashion for disagreeing

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #374
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange
 
Mad Ones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,115
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Then make a thread for that explicit purpose and don't drag comics into it! lol

__________________
X-men: Apocalypse review http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=711
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #375
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill
 
bell110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,103
Default Re: Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

Ok, now for the reason I came here. I just had to vent about that guy Aubrey Sitterson and his 9/11 tweet and doubling down, AND people that defend him. We live in a time that if someone in his position simply tweeted "I support President Trump", not only would people demand that he be fired (for supporting "bigotry"), but he WOULD be fired. But somehow, what Sitterson tweeted was not only not that bad, but he really had a good point if you look at it from his perspective. If you don't know the tweet, it reads:

"Oh good, it's Self-Centered National Tragedy Remembrance from People Who Weren't Even Anywhere Near New York City Day."

Obviously a dumb thing to say, and totally unjustifiable. I'm getting these quotes from Bleeding Cool btw, who can't help but sound like this is a completely silly "controversy" for them. I won't link it though, because I assume that they are a competitor to SSH, and I think the article is dumb.

Here's the justification from someone within IDW, probably Sitterson himself:
"“Aubrey was living in New York on September 11, 2001 and like many New Yorkers who saw their city attacked and who breathed in the dust of the wreckage and the dying, he at times finds it hard to take when people who didn’t have that direct connection, that direct suffering, make statements that imply their suffering was as bad. Yes, the entire country was attacked but we do see how people who were so directly impacted as New Yorkers can take exception to people who want to likewise connect to the event in the same way. The connection for everyone is there—like I say, everyone was attacked on that day—but it obviously hit New York and New Yorkers more directly."

First I have to ask, is Sitterson a New Yorker, or is he just someone who moved to New York. Because as a native New Yorker, going back many generations, I take issue to people labeling themselves as a New Yorker when their only connection to New York is that it's now their new address. But I was a New Yorker living outside Washington DC so 9/11 doesn't count here, clearly being so far away from NYC.

Then this gem:
"Sorry you found what he said offensive". Isn't the whole Liberal emphasis on feelings supposed to be, "It's not the person who was offended's fault, it's the offender's fault".

I don't read GI Joe, so I can really boycott them, and I don't believe somebody should get fired based on their opinions, but, like I said, if someone tweeted "I support President Trump", they would be gone because Liberals absolutely do believe someone should be fired based on their opinions. So in the interest of fairness, and to see if Liberals stick to their own rules, I am really curious what actions IDW will take.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.