The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Gifted

Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #26
fobi
Side-Kick

Default Re: outfoX | The Gifted's ninth episode

I know Esme wants to get her family out but there's something about her that I don't trust.

fobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
SPO2 Dalisay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobi View Post
I know Esme wants to get her family out but there's something about her that I don't trust.
She was coming off like the real sleeper agent when the tattooed speedster was given up to seal her cover story

SPO2 Dalisay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #28
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Someone eventually has to catch onto her creeping on everyone's conversations at the underground.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #29
laytonc32
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobi View Post
I suspect she is working for Emma Frost and the Hellfire Club.

laytonc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #30
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

This episode was so bad. Everyone suddenly forgot how to use their powers?

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #31
TheRedWraith
Ex-DCEU Fan

A really good episode, with a lot of interesting things introduced and/or being fleshed out like the Hellfire Club, Esme, and the Power of Fenris (I'm still waiting for the show to explain why they are called that). 7.2/10

Them referencing the Hellfire Club reminded me that they had at one point considered making a hellfire club show set in the past and abandoned it, because they felt it would make for a better movie developing the Gifted in its place. The Gifted even seemed to pick up some of the Hellfire show's concepts such as having a family on the run elements and actually having the Hellfire Club tangentially effecting the plot through the Strucker kids, still if it doesn't make it as a movie they could always take it back to TV and springboard it off of this. I also loved how at first when they described the Hellfire Club that it could have easily been describing Hydra as well.

As for how ruthless Esme is being, while she could be a spy for someone like the Hellfire Club, I feel she is just one of those people that allowed their power go to their head and decay their moral boundaries, and in the case of telepathic powers, this entails using them to casually violate people's privacy by entering their heads' and use the information they acquire to manipulate the people into doing what the they want. It is also much appreciated as so far, all the mutants we've seen have been pretty benevelant and responsible with their powers unless otherwise forced to use them villainously, although this episode did really emphasize how scary things like what Esme and Dreamer can do are, especially with how casually each one does it in the episode.

Them exploring Fenris more is always welcome, now it comes down to can they learn to control it and when together, become an OP god for whoever's side they are on, also did anyone else find the description of what Fenris felt like to be extremely creepy especially with how they acted when under it's spell (really emphasizes why steering into the creep with the already creepy Fenris Twins by going all in with the incest angle is a great way to maximize their impact). It was nice to finally get a specific description of what Lauren and Andy's powers do, as before this, while Andy's powers had been visually explained pretty clearly, Lauren's were kind of vague; in addition after getting that she pulls things together it seems like their powers make use of the strong nuclear force for opposite effects, and together they became a master of one of the four fundamental forces of the universe, explaining why they are as strong as they are when joined, the point being, if Lauren really learned to harness her gift and apply the physics of it to her, she could probably use it to on her self to become as hard and invulnerable as her powers allow.

All the positives aside I did feel that in the assault climax they could have tried harder with their powers to evade capture rather than just giving up as easily as they did, but it was nice to see the return of the Spider Sentinals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
There are many times where I bite my tongue on these forums. Most of the time, engaging in a back and forth simply isn't worth the effort.

Last edited by TheRedWraith; 12-05-2017 at 09:40 PM.
TheRedWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #32
bes628
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
This episode was so bad. Everyone suddenly forgot how to use their powers?
Right. Worst group of Mutant fighters ever.

bes628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #33
mutant 1060

I don't like this episode but mostly I'm just dragging through the series because I already started it.

I find the way the Gifted leads the story very early 2000s and this episode is a good example of this bad story-telling style. An episode is about 45 minutes and they waste a lot of time building fake tension and give the story an unconvincing arch and start to solve things in the last 7 minutes. This reminds me of Captain Planet cartoon on Cartoon Networks in the 90s, but this is 2017 and it's not targeting children anymore. They add a lot of side scenes telling stories of characters, their memories, doubts and fear, sometimes just pause and look into each other's eyes for 5 - 10 seconds while the audience are unlocking their mobiles.

Comparing it with Stranger things, the Gifted is probably something I watch once. Stranger things - I can watch it over, several times, although it doesn't surprise me anymore, the story telling style is very quick, the tempo is perfect and characters are still full of emotions and concerns but they don't waste much time telling it. Audience are smart enough to feel it and have more empathy with them because the pace is quick like real life. People don't run around trying to persuade others to believe them even it's full of "stranger things" and I really appreciate it. (There is one scene in Xmen United that I really appreciate: the central station attack. When Storm hit Sabretooth with a lightning struck, Scott turned his head in that direction but the angle of the camera was set very low so that we can quickly have a glimpse of Toad climbing up the wall. That's amazing and shows a lot of respect for the audience, yes thanks we are not retarded to miss that. Just show things the way they are and people will watch closely and realize the subtlety. Too bad this attitude is decaying in Hollywood, they slow motion, make a new scene 50 cm close to the action on full screen forcing people to notice it. Maybe some people like it that way but I don't, I prefer things happening at the normal and convincing speed.) If they do it like The Gifted, 8 episodes of ST can be easily stretched into 25 but they chose not to do that way.

I was expecting The Gifted to be a big project, a very long movie that they deliver in smaller parts, not this excruciatingly slow, chopped up series. Kind of disappointing!

Last edited by mutant 1060; 12-06-2017 at 03:34 PM.
mutant 1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #34
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

You make a lot of good points mutant 1060, but I'd have to disagree with the Stranger Things comparison. Season two has just absolutely terrible pacing.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #35
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Campbell is looking a lot more villainous and Ahab-y. Hope he gets even more messed up and has cybernetics attached to him.

Esme being part of the Hellfire Club would be interesting, particularly if Emma Frost is alive in this timeline. She could realistically be part of Hellfire Club in the 60s when Fenris were around?

Either way, a good and stronger episode by the show's standards. Lauren's powers are more defensive and Andy can't really control his powers very well, especially against a large group of people. So I don't see what's wrong with them getting caught. Sonia is getting a lot more development than I thought she would, so that's pretty interesting there.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote