4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #101
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Default Re: Episode 3.09 "Reign" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsmurff View Post
Hi all,

I didn't see anyone mention this, but Mon El and Imra are from the 31 century. I would assume Mon El would have looked up what happened to Supergirl. Once he got back to Earth.

Just wondered why Supergirl or anyone in the DEO didn't even bother to ask/accept if they could help. Especially since no one had a clue on wht the symbol meant.

Heck even in the episode Mon El and Imra offered to take a look at what the DEO had so far. Just to be turned down. I know this doesn't mean LoSH would have had the answer, but why not actually show it on screen.

Welcome Wildsmurff, and coming on strong with an insightful first post!

In a real life situation, then yes, they would be hounding Mon-El and Imra about how they handled this situation with Reign. That they didn't, is bad plotting coupled with a need to gloss over holes in favor of the direction the story is taking. They couldn't have those answers, and still have Supergirl losing that big fight.

She lost because she had no intel on Reign and did not know her strengths, and she went in without backup. J'onn should have been there, as Mon-El should have been too. And Saturn Girl.

That ability to underestimate her enemies, is one of Supergirl's bigger weaknesses.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #102
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Mon-el has been shady as hell, I wouldn't trust anything he was saying at this point.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #103
Wildsmurff

Thank you

Yes I have notice that she does seem to do that a lot.

Wildsmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #104
SSAV
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
Welcome Wildsmurff, and coming on strong with an insightful first post!

In a real life situation, then yes, they would be hounding Mon-El and Imra about how they handled this situation with Reign. That they didn't, is bad plotting coupled with a need to gloss over holes in favor of the direction the story is taking. They couldn't have those answers, and still have Supergirl losing that big fight.

She lost because she had no intel on Reign and did not know her strengths, and she went in without backup. J'onn should have been there, as Mon-El should have been too. And Saturn Girl.

That ability to underestimate her enemies, is one of Supergirl's bigger weaknesses.
I don't think she underestimated them so much as she thought Reign would be just another Kryptonian; which based on the data she had was true to point.

As for ignoring what Corville said or Imra's and Mon El's offer of help.

Corville is a fanatic; it is only natural she would not trust him easily. And Imra and Mon El... two things: a. she is dealing with the shock of seeing him married and moved on while she is still in the same place where he left her... b. Neither of them have given her or anyone in the DEO any reason to trust them. Quite the opposite in fact.

After all that lying in the previous episode, I don't see why Kara would suddenly feel that this time, Mon El might say the truth. She basically doesn't know Imra, so no need to trust her either so soon.

I thought all of that was pretty on point.

J'onn/Mon El/Saturn Girl not coming in to help the fight on their own was well problematic. But, I am willing to ignore it because it was fun to watch SG take on Reign. Also, they may have been shocked that this happened. At least, J'onn. Mon El/Saturn Girl seemed mostly interested in getting back, if they are telling the truth.

Also.. every hero underestimates their opponent until they know more about them. That is kind of the point.

SSAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #105
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
I guess it comes down to the racial mindset of the Kryptonians. It could be a situation similar to MoS, where they had been there, but then retracted back to their home world over time. A reason for that could have a religious basis, seeing how religion was an important factor. It stated also that a big reason why not many people left Kyrpton was do to their leadership either ignoring or just simply denying that the end was coming.
Yes, I had that same feeling it was in other midums where jore el was ignored by the counsel. it's possbile the public of krypton wasn't told til things started to fall apart with earth quakes and by then it was too late.

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:44 AM   #106
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

I don't have any problem with no one coming to Supergirl's aid when she fought Reign because that's how it played out in the comic books. Supergirl took on Reign, Perrilus, Deimax, and Flower of Heaven all by herself in the heart of
New York City with Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern nowhere in sight. Surely an event like that in New York City would have gotten their attention. Yet even after it was all over none of them showed up.
So we can't on one hand complain something on the show is not like the comic books, like Reign's costume for example, and then turn around and complain when something plays out like in the comic books, Supergirl taking an enemy
on by herself without help.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #107
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Mon-el has been shady as hell, I wouldn't trust anything he was saying at this point.
It's probably just his wooden acting

Old 12-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #108
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
It's probably just his wooden acting
And yet some people were pining for his return.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #109
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
And yet some people were pining for his return.
And many like myself were actually dreading it.

And I didn't even dislike the guy. Let's just say I'll be happy to see the Legion kick into gear so that he doesn't only exist to be part of a romance plot. Because that romance plot has been the worst thing about this show for two seasons now (or at least tied with Guardian for that title I guess), and the absence of it (and Guardian) in the first 6 episodes of the season made it EASILY the best run of episodes this show has had, imo, even with that 3x03 fumble.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Last edited by flickchick85; 12-07-2017 at 02:28 AM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:26 AM   #110
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

He rocks me.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 AM   #111
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

That's cool, different strokes and all that.

I really enjoyed him and his dynamic with Kara right up until the "romance" started. That was just sooooo poorly done, imo.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #112
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well you have to admit the Earth-38 Superman seems to be a bit of a slacker. And after the beat down Supergirl put on Superman it stands to reason the Legion would want to go with Earth's mightiest hero
as their inspiration rather than Superman, who got his butt handed to him by Earth's mightiest hero.
I think some folks forget that martian manhunter defeated supergirl in season 1 and superman did say that martian manhunter was more powerful then him.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #113
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Am I the only one kinda of hoping Supergirl never technically defeats Reign? I mean, in the comics, she never really did. Reign outmatched her pretty solidly throughout. Supergirl just ended up hurting one of Reign's fellow Worldkillers, and Reign's concern for the others is what prompted her to take her crew and leave Earth.

Since there don't appear to be other Worldkillers in play here, Ruby getting hurt/being at risk will probably be their equivalent. Kara will probably use that in some way, but I still hope she remains otherwise outmatched. And while this one's less likely, I ALSO hope Reign somehow isn't killed. Like, I can see her Samantha side coming through and killing herself for the greater good or whatever, but I hope they don't go that route. If she leaves Earth by choice like she did in the comics (and Alex takes in Ruby or something), that would be ideal, imo, because then we know there's a real threat out there that could come back and be seriously dangerous anytime. Unlike other recurring villains whom Kara has proven she can handle.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #114
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Quote:
I don't have any problem with no one coming to Supergirl's aid when she fought Reign because that's how it played out in the comic books. Supergirl took on Reign, Perrilus, Deimax, and Flower of Heaven all by herself in the heart of
New York City with Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern nowhere in sight. Surely an event like that in New York City would have gotten their attention. Yet even after it was all over none of them showed up.
So we can't on one hand complain something on the show is not like the comic books, like Reign's costume for example, and then turn around and complain when something plays out like in the comic books, Supergirl taking an enemy
That isn't even comparable imo. Her supporting cast was practically non existent in the comics, she didn't have an entirr organization backing her lead by another hero.

It's just bad storytelling to suddenly forget that there are 3 superpowers people watching this happen and doing nothing.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #115
haephestus
Side-Kick

This was a good episode.

I missed what Saturn Girl said her powers were - a living computer? I thought she was a telepath? She had super strength when training with Mon-El, so I guess she’s pretty much Saturn Girl in name only?

I don’t know whether to attribute it to poor writing or poor acting, but Mon-El is behaving and acting extremely oddly. His wife isn’t behaving much better. I’ll put it down to bad writing, but the writers shouldn’t expect the audience to just ignore all of the obvious plot points, like Mon-El and Saturn Girl obviously knowing all about Supergirl’s future (i.e. their history), their selfish interest in simply going back to sleep, their lack of concern about the welfare of the other three or four Legionnaires on their ship, etc.

I don’t mind Supergirl confronting Reign on her own. But, why isn’t Martian Manhunter on the scene for damage control, to help protect any citizens in the vicinity and to lend a hand if necessary. They knew that they were facing a Kryptonian, so it seems a little irresponsible for Jonn to sit at the DEO watching the action unfold on TV.

Lena and Jimmy ... Lemmy was just ... eugh. Have the actors say that they have chemistry does not magically create chemistry. The forced best friendship between Kara and Sam was also bizarre - they’ve met a few times at best. They might both be friends with Lena, but they’re not close friends themselves.

I hope that the show manages the Legion better in the future. At the moment, it seems like they’re going to be badly under-utilised and basically just ignored whenever the script requires it. I don’t know why these CW shows keep introducing new super powered characters when they don’t know how to manage more than one super hero per show. Kid Flash is treated deplorably on The Flash, to the extent the character event remarked how everyone doesn’t even notice when he’s not around!

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #116
haephestus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
Something else bothered me - When Kara said that she never had best friends, what does that make both James and Winn?
And that nice young man who was murdered by the town sheriff back in Midvale!

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #117
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post
This was a good episode.

I missed what Saturn Girl said her powers were - a living computer? I thought she was a telepath? She had super strength when training with Mon-El, so I guess she’s pretty much Saturn Girl in name only?

I don’t know whether to attribute it to poor writing or poor acting, but Mon-El is behaving and acting extremely oddly. His wife isn’t behaving much better. I’ll put it down to bad writing, but the writers shouldn’t expect the audience to just ignore all of the obvious plot points, like Mon-El and Saturn Girl obviously knowing all about Supergirl’s future (i.e. their history), their selfish interest in simply going back to sleep, their lack of concern about the welfare of the other three or four Legionnaires on their ship, etc.

I don’t mind Supergirl confronting Reign on her own. But, why isn’t Martian Manhunter on the scene for damage control, to help protect any citizens in the vicinity and to lend a hand if necessary. They knew that they were facing a Kryptonian, so it seems a little irresponsible for Jonn to sit at the DEO watching the action unfold on TV.

Lena and Jimmy ... Lemmy was just ... eugh. Have the actors say that they have chemistry does not magically create chemistry. The forced best friendship between Kara and Sam was also bizarre - they’ve met a few times at best. They might both be friends with Lena, but they’re not close friends themselves.

I hope that the show manages the Legion better in the future. At the moment, it seems like they’re going to be badly under-utilised and basically just ignored whenever the script requires it. I don’t know why these CW shows keep introducing new super powered characters when they don’t know how to manage more than one super hero per show. Kid Flash is treated deplorably on The Flash, to the extent the character event remarked how everyone doesn’t even notice when he’s not around!
Tbf Mon El while maintaining some aspects of the actual character from the comics in that he’s from Daxam isn’t really anything like Mon El in the comics either. Plus you can add to that the way the Legion has been created too. These are the kinds of missteps that are really grating about the choices been made on the show. I’ve was excited about the possibility of the Legion but now I don’t even care.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #118
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post
Yeah, that had me a tad confused too. I guess it’s cool that Saturn Girl has advanced/futuristic martial arts skills (in addition to her mental superpowers). But by his point, wouldn’t Mon-El be fully “topped up” in terms of his Supergirl-level super strength, flight, etc.?

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #119
Wildsmurff

I forget if it was Mon-El or Imra that said they weren't suppose to wake up till they got back to the 31 century. It was the sub attack that caused the system to fail and Mon-El to wake up. Maybe part of them acting strange is because they weren't expecting to be there.

Plus I am sure they want to get back to their timeline. Not sure how many super heroes are running around to cover for a whole group missing.

Also one of the episodes they did mention that the ship is being monitored so if anything happens or someone wakes up they will know. No point in sitting on a ship waiting.

Supergirl just got beat soundly. Even if you don't trust Mon-El and Imra as an agency you would look into all possible forms of intel. I am really surprise that the DEO would just sit back and say, Oh Supergirl isn't thrilled that Mon-El is here with another woman. Lets not ask them for input on the symbols/prophecy that no one seems to know.

I get the part that she faced Reign alone. She has faced bad guys alone multiple times. Plus she has faced Kryptonians before. Not thing new. Just that this one person is very powerful.

Wildsmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #120
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsmurff;36097951[B
]I forget if it was Mon-El or Imra that said they weren't suppose to wake up till they got back to the 31 century.[/B] It was the sub attack that caused the system to fail and Mon-El to wake up. Maybe part of them acting strange is because they weren't expecting to be there.

Plus I am sure they want to get back to their timeline. Not sure how many super heroes are running around to cover for a whole group missing.

Also one of the episodes they did mention that the ship is being monitored so if anything happens or someone wakes up they will know. No point in sitting on a ship waiting.

Supergirl just got beat soundly. Even if you don't trust Mon-El and Imra as an agency you would look into all possible forms of intel. I am really surprise that the DEO would just sit back and say, Oh Supergirl isn't thrilled that Mon-El is here with another woman. Lets not ask them for input on the symbols/prophecy that no one seems to know.

I get the part that she faced Reign alone. She has faced bad guys alone multiple times. Plus she has faced Kryptonians before. Not thing new. Just that this one person is very powerful.
It was Mon-el....

Also, I have a feeling they will be talking with Mon-el and Imra more as well as Couville, or however you spell his name. Reign used wording in talking to Kara that both Mon-el and Couville used...so if Kara remembers any of it.....she will be definitely asking about it.

WHAT IF KARA DOESN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING about last season and Mon-el....OMG, the Karamelers would totally melt down.....LOL

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #121
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

If Saturn Girl has super-strength, it's likely because of the Legion Ring that's made of Nth metal that allows her to fly, prevent her from having colds, and some degree of super-strength.

I too want Reign to be a threat to both Superman and Supergirl. I have a feeling in the 2nd half of the season that Supergirl and the heroes will protect Ruby from Reign.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #122
X Knight
Watchful Protector

I'm annoyed Saturn Girl isn't blonde.

are you telling me she isn't even a Telepath/Psychic either??

Old 12-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #123
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Haven’t gotten one through all the pages of this thead...but where the heck is Superman?!? Normally I wouldn’t say she needed help...but how does he not come when his cousin is getting her butt kicked?

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #124
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

My issue isnt with Supes not being there since he isn't 2 mins away from the action. Who knows what he is facing right now.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #125
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Well, I would have liked Reign to look more like the comics. If they are going to use the character of a World Killer, then it should look as the character has been represented in the past. It's like changing the looks of the Klingons. The question is, why?

She still looks okay, but it could have been better.

In regards to her not having any help, this is her show so having Superman and any others just showing every time there's trouble won't happen. If Superman was a regular on the show, then I would expect him to show up regularly, especially during an event like this.

He isn't, but J'onn is, and I would expect him to show up and help, as has happened in the past. They are supposed to be a team, as the tag line goes, 'Stronger together...'

Plus, the two Supergirls, CW and New 52, have very different emotional outlooks. SupergirlCW had time to adjust to the loss of her world, and grew up with a family and friends. Whereas New52 Supergirl, was simply dropped onto Earth, moments after being with her father (from her point of view) and is thus ruled more by her anger and fear, rather than trust.

At the time the World Killers showed up, Supergirl52 was a loner, and would more than likely fight Kal and Diana, or any others, as much as the World Killers. And I would actually prefer that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAV View Post
I don't think she underestimated them so much as she thought Reign would be just another Kryptonian; which based on the data she had was true to point...
But that, right there, is underestimating her opponent. She went in with a preconceived opinion about who she was facing. She ignored Corville's warnings that Reign was a powerful enemy. Yes, he's in prison and more than likely a wacko, but he was giving a warning that should have been taken into consideration, especially since he had access to the Kryptonian probe, and apparently also met another Kryptonian on Earth. Which should be a story in itself.

Who is this Kryptonian? Where is she and is she still alive?

Once again, Kara was being overconfident, and now she has the coma to show for it...

Last edited by Thome216; 12-07-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote