The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #51
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
So I just finished Mojo worldwide and eh.

Well seeing Longshot be revelant again in a X-Men team title (even for a few titles) since he quit the X-Men in the 80s was nice to see. It always makes me wonder that he joined Excalibur and the other titles but never returned to the X-Men main roster. So this is a must see just for Longshot's appearance.

B
I think you forgot about the Mojoworld storyline in Jim Lee's X-men v2 in the early 90s

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #52
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I remembered a few hours ago but those were like 2 to 3 issues. But yeah its still been a long time.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #53
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Loved the art style of Astonishing issue 6. Continues to be the best X-book by far.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #54
Sithborg
About time Filoni

Yeah, and very interesting to where they went with it. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the series plays out.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #55
Havok83
Side-Kick

That AXM ending was good but
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
is there any reason why Xavier would stay in Fantomex' body rather than transfer his mind into a cloned version of his own old one? He's done it before. Heck, Jean has done it for him

Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #56
zenith16
Side-Kick

likely for the same reason when he had the z'noxx operation center made and people thought him dead back then. he likely doesn't want his enemies or the world to notice he's alive again yet. And the explanation to some certain people that are ether single minded or worse then that in the world might annoying to explain to as well.

And he doesn't want to deal with that for now. any way both he and moon dragon are the only other high level telepath's that seem to get clone body's and loose them very often something they have in common be sides being bald.

Last edited by zenith16; 12-07-2017 at 06:38 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #57
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

i wouldn't be so sure it's Charles.. the word bubbles are the same color as Shadow Kings.

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #58
Sithborg
About time Filoni

They were that way since the beginning, though. But yes, something is clearly off with Xavier, been that way since the start.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #59
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Can I just say that, in the newest issue of Iceman, Pyro's depiction was horrendous? That writer has been doing a decent job for what they want to do with that book, but I'm questioning whether they had ever read a comic with Pyro in it even once in their life. Do we even know how he came back from the dead or do we just get a stupid joke about it and that's it?

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #60
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Can I just say that, in the newest issue of Iceman, Pyro's depiction was horrendous? That writer has been doing a decent job for what they want to do with that book, but I'm questioning whether they had ever read a comic with Pyro in it even once in their life. Do we even know how he came back from the dead or do we just get a stupid joke about it and that's it?
Selene brought him back from the dead as part of the Transmode virus.

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #61
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Selene brought him back from the dead as part of the Transmode virus.
that was over 10 years ago and he didnt survive that. All those that were reanimated in Necrosha went back to being dead except Cypher after Selene was defeated.

Quote:
A new Pyro was introduced in X-men Gold earlier this year and thats not the original that died. He's only had like 2-3 issues so Sina's depiction wasnt out of character

Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #62
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
A new Pyro was introduced in X-men Gold earlier this year and thats not the original that died. He's only had like 2-3 issues so Sina's depiction wasnt out of character
I was thinking I saw someone else show up as Pyro but couldn't remember where, but the comment of him coming back from the dead threw me off. That's a weird comment if it wasn't meant to be the original.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #63
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was thinking I saw someone else show up as Pyro but couldn't remember where, but the comment of him coming back from the dead threw me off. That's a weird comment if it wasn't meant to be the original.
Either Sina goofed or one can just chalk it up to Young Bobby not realizing it was a different character as he wasnt at the X-mansion when the new Pyro attacked

ETA: Maybe that was supposed to be the original? I just reread those scenes and he has his flamethrower on his back and the Pyro in Gold did not. Yeah I think its something the editors didnt catch and the No-Prize explanation for anything odd in the past year is he came back courtesy of Secret Wars

Last edited by Havok83; 12-08-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:38 AM   #64
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I think Iceman is really great. Grace is picking up on Lui's Astonishing stuff and the Iceman/Romeo threads from Blue, but he's not always consistent. Daken in Iceman is very different from Daken in ANW.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #65
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
I think Iceman is really great. Grace is picking up on Lui's Astonishing stuff and the Iceman/Romeo threads from Blue, but he's not always consistent. Daken in Iceman is very different from Daken in ANW.
I'm really starting to question Sina Grace's ability to write established characters. At first it felt like he was really knocking the book out of the ball park, but having not cared for the supporting cast's characterizations, I'm realizing that Bobby's own portrayal might only feel great because it's essentially a new Bobby. Grace has free reign to write Bobby however he wants, and... in my opinion... he doesn't really feel like Bobby any more. As a long time Iceman fan, it's becoming frustrating to read.

The book as a whole is also starting to feel like a cliche in my opinion. The only people really against his coming out are religious villains and his parents (also religious). I wonder if he's capable of handling religious characters and the subject matter without making them the villains? Could he write Nightcrawler's Catholic faith into the plot? Or Kitty's Jewish views? Also the constant cheer leading from friends over how great his new lifestyle choice is. In life I feel like there would be more conflict with someone coming out at his age. People who would struggle reconciling Bobby of old with the Bobby of new. That kind of thing takes time. And then there was the Kitty plot that didn't feel very believable to me. She was spurned by him and then was excited when she found out it was because he was gay. But in the few situations like that that I know of, the woman still felt spurned no matter the reason... perhaps even more so because they felt used and lied to.

I don't know... maybe I'm wrong, but looking over the issues it's starting to feel like Grace is just writing the "happy-go-lucky everything is great when you're gay except that your parents and religious people hate you" type of story. It just feels very cliche to me thus far. I feel like there could be so much more depth for this type of story.

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 12-09-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #66
CaptainWagner
Bob Newby: Superhero

Quote:
This is, I feel, one of modern Marvel's biggest problems. Their editorial setup is failing to maintain consistency and synchronization across the line.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #67
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

We can also look at Emma in Blue and Emma in Jean Grey.

I find Iceman extremely relatable. I'd say the ending of Iceman #5 makes it my favourite issue of 2017. If you're gay and don't live in a major metropolitan city in Canada or the United States, Christians are the people most vocally and actively trying to deny your existence on an everyday level and the effects on an individual can be profound (especially when it comes from your own family). That is a very real thing and it's not cliche for a book to reflect that. We rarely ever see the everyday anxieties and frustrations of being gay in a heteronormative society depicted in a major comic book. Moving to West Hollywood, though, now THAT is cliche haha (Bobby don't do it!!).

Last edited by Mad Ones; 12-09-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #68
Havok83
Side-Kick

I’m not a fan of Iceman’s book and hate the art. I’d rather he be a regular in a team title. Wish he were with Jean in red

Old 12-10-2017, 03:13 AM   #69
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Same here as I don't read any solos.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #70
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

On the topic of Bobby and his characterization, I think Grace has him spot on. We from how he was written before this series that he has a cheesy sense of humour that he uses to distract from what could be considered depression. He repressed his powers and was scared to be himself. Grace is writing this transition period in his life where he is dealing with his repression and changing as a person. Grace's Iceman is hilarious, but when he goes beneath the surface there's a lot of depth there.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #71
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
I find Iceman extremely relatable. I'd say the ending of Iceman #5 makes it my favourite issue of 2017. If you're gay and don't live in a major metropolitan city in Canada or the United States, Christians are the people most vocally and actively trying to deny your existence on an everyday level and the effects on an individual can be profound (especially when it comes from your own family). That is a very real thing and it's not cliche for a book to reflect that. We rarely ever see the everyday anxieties and frustrations of being gay in a heteronormative society depicted in a major comic book. Moving to West Hollywood, though, now THAT is cliche haha (Bobby don't do it!!).
I'm okay with the topic of religion being involved as I know that's a major deal, but there is more to it than just evil religious people. There are religious people of all walks who accept or refuse to judge. Myself being one of them... and I know a LOT of others who are just like me. To be honest, it's possible that half or more of the Christians that I'm close with fall into this category. Then there are also those who are against homosexuality entirely but love and respect gay people despite their perceived sin (and this is how I used to be). Most of these people, which I think is probably the majority of Christians overall, remember that no man or woman is perfect and that a gay person's perceived sin is no better or worse than the sins that Christians deal with themselves.

To ONLY depict religion as evil and antagonistic toward homosexuality is indeed cliche toward religion and specifically Christians. There's a lot of depth there that could in turn add a lot of depth to the book as well. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but since the writer is making religion a functioning aspect of the book, I'd hope that he can cover it accurately.

That's where I think characters like Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde (or any other religious character for that matter... but those two would be the most obvious) could really be interesting in this title. But I just question his ability to do so based on what I've seen thus far.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #72
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Organized religion has been antagonistic to gay rights every step of the way - just look at the millions of dollars these religions have spent fighting gay rights. I find Bobby's parents to be complicated and I think Grace has shown the effects of their worldview on Bobby in a nuanced way. But this book isn't about them or a platform for Christians to depict themselves as allies to LGBTQ people after centuries of harm.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #73
psylockolussus
Fierce User

What should I read neXt?

Life of X
Time Crusaders
Negative Zone War

Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #74
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Life of X is the Astonishing storyline, right? I'd recommend Astonishing over Gold or Blue.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #75
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I've decided to read Gold first.

So looks like Ink is now a X-Man and Armor is a X-Woman again after how many years of doing nothing.