The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man: Homecoming

Old 04-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #201
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Default Re: Tony Revolori is Flash Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyWebShooter View Post
That's the type of dude to take your lunch money in a high school Ponzi scheme, not beat it out of you.
He's more like the annoying troublemaker kids at school that people might beat up all the time.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #202
harryoscop
Banned User

I don't know about this Flash. Revolori is a great actor & he can pull it off. But I hope Marvel haven't ruined him like the terrible description Tom gave us of his characterization. I actually read Flash's writing was inspired by Tom's own experience in the Bronx High-school he attended.

Surely, Flash's athletic background couldn't have been completely ommited? it's such an important part, it has to be in there in some capacity.

I mean, he doesn't look completely shrimpy:

Last edited by harryoscop; 04-20-2017 at 03:41 PM.
harryoscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #203
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
I don't know about this Flash. Revolori is a great actor & he can pull it off. But I hope Marvel haven't ruined him like the terrible description Tom gave us of his characterization. I actually read Flash's writing was inspired by Tom's own experience in the Bronx High-school he attended.

Surely, Flash's athletic background couldn't have been completely ommited? it's such an important part, it has to be in there in some capacity.

I mean, he doesn't look completely shrimpy:
Didn't he post a video of him walking through a football field when he wrapped filming? It may've easily meant nothing, but it made me think that this iteration of the Flash would retain that aspect at least.

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #204
Slick
Yup

It seems like Flash is going to be more Draco Malfoy like. Which is kinda interesting. At least for me it is.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #205
Speed Force
"There was an idea..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Didn't he post a video of him walking through a football field when he wrapped filming? It may've easily meant nothing, but it made me think that this iteration of the Flash would retain that aspect at least.
It was just another Breakfast Club comparison? Not sure which word I'm looking for but it was based on the scene from Breakfast Club.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #206
SpideyJJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
It seems like Flash is going to be more Draco Malfoy like. Which is kinda interesting. At least for me it is.
You're gonna have to hand over your lunch money to him or his father will hear about this.....

SpideyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #207
Neno_Kos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyJJ View Post
You're gonna have to hand over your lunch money to him or his father will hear about this.....
[cringe]

Neno_Kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #208
PeterBenParker
Wallopin' Websnappers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyJJ View Post
"Leave him alone."
"Or what?"
"Or his father will fire your father."

#SpiderManPS4Hype
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #209
ironwez20
Side-Kick

Lol one of the best lines in the film.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #210
harryoscop
Banned User

"What's daddy gonna do? Sue me?"

Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #211
CaptainWagner
Bob Newby: Superhero

Well, Flash DOES have Daddy issues, so there is that.

I think it would be interesting to see a Flash who is smart, but his dad doesn't respect that, pushing him into "manly pursuits" instead. That could play out really well, and Revolori would totally own a strong part like that. I just hope Marvel doesn't waste his talent. He's missing out on chances at Kyle Raynor or Jaime Reyes for this.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #212
ItchyWebShooter
Spider-Signal Included

That's probably the most realistic dialogue in any Raimi film haha. Really cutting remarks that I could totally buy some douchebag high school student saying.

ItchyWebShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #213
PeterBenParker
Wallopin' Websnappers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyWebShooter View Post
That's probably the most realistic dialogue in any Raimi film haha. Really cutting remarks that I could totally buy some douchebag high school student saying.
They really had some charm, that's for sure.

#SpiderManPS4Hype
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #214
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
Well, Flash DOES have Daddy issues, so there is that.

I think it would be interesting to see a Flash who is smart, but his dad doesn't respect that, pushing him into "manly pursuits" instead. That could play out really well, and Revolori would totally own a strong part like that. I just hope Marvel doesn't waste his talent. He's missing out on chances at Kyle Raynor or Jaime Reyes for this.
it would be an interesting take on Flash, but it wouldn't really feel like the character.

it would be like a Peter who really wants to be a jock, and maybe is actually good at soccer or whatever, but his Uncle and Aunt push him towards science instead.

Flash doesn't need to be smart like Peter. If everyone around Peter is smart, it makes him (Peter) less unique.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #215
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
it would be an interesting take on Flash, but it wouldn't really feel like the character.

it would be like a Peter who really wants to be a jock, and maybe is actually good at soccer or whatever, but his Uncle and Aunt push him towards science instead.

Flash doesn't need to be smart like Peter. If everyone around Peter is smart, it makes him (Peter) less unique.
Or like a frumpy, awkward and shy girl who wants to be a geek who is pushed into being a model by her overly-ambitious aunt, forced to dye her hair red and wear more provocative clothing etc. But then after going through that phase, she finally decides to be herself and reverts back to her frumpy self in defiance of her aunt and in acceptance of her true nature.

It would be like all the characters in Tangled living in denial of what they want to be but all having a dream to do the thing that no-one else expects them to:

Last edited by Dark Raven; 04-21-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #216
Kev4000
Side-Kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsVJZ1xNHpA

He choosed Evans..

Kev4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #217
CaptainWagner
Bob Newby: Superhero

Quote:

It's a given that all Peter's classmates here will be at least a little smart, he's going to a special academic school. So there's really no way to get around that. At the end of the day, though, it's not his intelligence that makes him special, so this really doesn't lessen his character at all.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #218
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
It's a given that all Peter's classmates here will be at least a little smart, he's going to a special academic school. So there's really no way to get around that. At the end of the day, though, it's not his intelligence that makes him special, so this really doesn't lessen his character at all.
it may not lessen his character, but it takes focus away from where the character should be.

Flash could still be a smart, preppy d-bag, but, imo, he NEEDS to be a big jock type character - one who's more physically intimidating than Peter.

There's no law that says you can't be both smart AND athletically gifted. indeed, that would just feed into Flash's "air of superiority" at school. He's tall, handsome, smart, and the star athlete who can get any girl he wants. He seems so "perfect."

Just like Liz Allen ( even though it should be MJ ) is the "perfect" girl to Peter and Ned, Flash is the guy Peter and Ned wish they were.

Of course, to add depth and layer to the character, there would have to be more to him than that. Beneath the "facade" of being Mr. Perfect, Flash feels insecure - he feels like all of this could be taken away from him in an instant ( maybe it happened to his dad or older brother or whatever ). That's why he's so "possessive" of his place at school - both academically and athletically. He perceives anything that could threaten his position/status with hostility and bullying.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #219
JoeyConQueso
Part-time Mutant

I hate still feeling like whining about it but I can't get over the changes and casting they've done for Flash. It just feels like unnecessary changes to me when there was nothing wrong or dated about the original character.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #220
PeterBenParker
Wallopin' Websnappers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyConQueso View Post
I hate still feeling like whining about it but I can't get over the changes and casting they've done for Flash. It just feels like unnecessary changes to me when there was nothing wrong or dated about the original character.
It's not whining when it's perfectly valid. The Flash Thompson everybody knows has still yet to be explored in its fullest form yet and it's a shame they decided to radically change stuff up just for the sake of separation.

#SpiderManPS4Hype
Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #221
harryoscop
Banned User

I love Revolori as an actor. He's been great in everything I've seen him in (Dope, Grand Budapest hotel etc) he's probably the best actor in the HS cast next to Tom, and he definitely has potential to breath new life into Flash. But.... Why is this character called Flash Thompson?

- He's not a jock

- He's not athletic at all, visibly shorter than Peter & skinny

- He's not even a bully. He has a friendly, competitive rivalry relationship with Peter & Holland himself said he's not a fricking bully.

What gives? The dude is not Flash in any way. Why couldn't he just be an original character (Manuel anybody) just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #222
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
I love Revolori as an actor. He's been great in everything I've seen him in (Dope, Grand Budapest hotel etc) he's probably the best actor in the HS cast next to Tom, and he definitely has potential to breath new life into Flash. But.... Why is this character called Flash Thompson?

- He's not a jock

- He's not athletic at all, visibly shorter than Peter & skinny

- He's not even a bully. He has a friendly, competitive rivalry relationship with Peter & Holland himself said he's not a fricking bully.

What gives? The dude is not Flash in any way. Why couldn't he just be an original character (Manuel anybody) just doesn't make sense to me.
I wasn't aware of that last part.

If Flash isn't even a bully in this, and more of a friendly rival, then what's the frickin' point of even using the character.

I mean, seriously. I'm this close to being done with this film. Every little bit of info that comes out has only served to make me less interested.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #223
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Can't wait to see Tony Revelori take on Tom Hardy. Battle of the Venoms.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #224
PeterBenParker
Wallopin' Websnappers!

Quote:
I wasn't aware of that last part.

If Flash isn't even a bully in this, and more of a friendly rival, then what's the frickin' point of even using the character.

I mean, seriously. I'm this close to being done with this film. Every little bit of info that comes out has only served to make me less interested.
Tom said:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
One of the main differences [from the previous movies] is that we don't [really] have a bully. His main rival is Flash. They have this really funny back-and-forth. [Tony] is so much like himself in the movie. He's so funny.

Makes me seem like:

Their relationship is more akin to two brothers where one of them is giving the younger bro a 'hard time' and the younger bro is just mildly annoyed by it. Flash calls him a dork and puts him on the spot at times but it's not in any way like typical Flash. Maybe the early 616 Flash (where he would just say little comments to Peter while he's with group) but that's not even the Flash people typically know and remember.

Tony described their relationship and the way Peter puts up with it is akin to rolling your eyes and shrugging it off, "Oh, Flash. " Seems like it's more in good fun than anything else.

Quote:
“When they cast Flash Thompson they knew they didn’t need a 6ft 5in jock to beat Peter Parker up. They needed a rich, smug kid commenting on how bad his trainers were,”

#SpiderManPS4Hype

Last edited by PeterBenParker; 06-05-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #225
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBenParker View Post
Tom said:

Makes me seem like:

Their relationship is more akin to two brothers where one of them is giving the younger bro a 'hard time' and the younger bro is just mildly annoyed by it. Flash calls him a dork and puts him on the spot at times but it's not in any way like typical Flash. Maybe the early 616 Flash (where he would just say little comments to Peter while he's with group) but that's not even the Flash people typically know and remember.

Tony described their relationship and the way Peter puts up with it is akin to rolling your eyes and shrugging it off, "Oh, Flash. " Seems like it's more in good fun than anything else.
thanks.

well, that's not Flash then.

that's like watered-down Flash "lite" or something.