The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Old 04-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #76
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers) - Part 1

It's funny how the slingshot weblines disappear after he lets go.

YOUTUBE
I ship Reek and one of the DSs of the Hype

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #77
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers) - Part 1

So I'm finally reading that elseworld stuff starring Mary Jane by Sean McKeever and Miyazawa Takeshi; Mary Jane, Mary Jane: Homecoming, and Spider-Man loves Mary Jane. Fun stuff, you should read it.

That bit with the fall formal dance in Catalysts choosing Flash and MJ as king and queen is taken from the third issue of the Homecoming mini.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #78
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

I always find it interesting when they take ideas (no matter how small) from other comics. It may be a coincidence of course, but when we have people like Matthew Resnick in the series you never know.

Oh, ALSO I've noticed like Batman the Animated Series, most of the villains have unique themes or jingles when they show up. Of course there are some that are more prevalent like the theme of The Big Man (which extends to Hammerhead as he's a direct extension); and some that seem to be used more like the Green Goblin's and Venom's; but I've noticed that there are certain jingles that only play with certain baddies when they are one on one with Spidey. I can identify Ock's, Electro's, Rhino's, and Sandman's themes...heck even Norman's civilian identity had one (which should have told us something). I'm not sure if Kraven, Shocker, or Mysterio had unique jingles/themes (I'll have to re-watch their episodes and listen to the background music any other time they are on screen)... And I'm not sure if the jingle in Accomplices when Silver Sable shows up at the auction which replays when her helicopter shows up to attack Kingsley is Sables theme...but I'll say it is anyway...

Oh yeah, there's a portrait of Richard and Mary Parker at May and Peter's house... Peter favors his father looks wise.

Last edited by Mistah K88; 04-19-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Mistah K88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #79
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Music is something to review now.

YOUTUBE

Old 04-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #80
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

In light of recent events...

Emily Osborn

First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man # 180 (September 1991)

So not much is known about this character (yet) other that she is the wife of Norman Osborn and the mother of Harry Osborn. It was said that Norman's resentment for Harry came from the loss of his wife... In this series she has remained alive and in Harry's life. While we don't see her do much in this series, there were plans for her that were going to be acted out in Season 3 after her husband's "demise". It seemed that she was just as indifferent to Harry as Norman was... but the world will never know. From those plans, all we know is that Marina Sirtis would most likely been her voice.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Emily_Osborn_(Earth-616)

Old 05-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #81
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

A new episode from the podcast is now up. Featuring Greg Weisman and Daran Norris, they discuss Growing Pains among other topics.

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5370

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #82
Sarcastic Fan
King of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
A new episode from the podcast is now up. Featuring Greg Weisman and Daran Norris, they discuss Growing Pains among other topics.

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5370
Thanks, I had forgotten to post that here. And man, I was sick when I recorded that.

Sarcastic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #83
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Fan View Post
Thanks, I had forgotten to post that here. And man, I was sick when I recorded that.
You're welcome. Hope you're feeling better.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #84
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Anyone else had a chance to listen to the Growing Pains podcast episode? Some really great stuff on there. I love how this show coined Colonel Jupiter and now, it's like people have just gone ahead and adopted that name for John.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #85
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

The name Colonel Jupiter originating from the show was something I didn't know about. Funnily enough I remember reading the comic that featured John in the Jupiter suit (something about the misunderstanding being Spider-Man robbing a bank [it was a bomb he was removing]).

The escalation theme I mentioned earlier is also present with Jonah in this show. I remember him not really caring about Spider-Man's existence when he first heard about Spidey and just wanted to make money off of the Webhead. Then minor things like Spider-Man doing small stuff to humiliate him (sticking him to the ceiling in the Rhino attack) as well as jealousy of Spider-Man and Gobby's fight getting more attention than his astronaut son's landing, started him on the path to thinking Spider-Man was no good. It all turns into full blown hatred when Spider-Man defeats John, and sending him to Ravencroft. I'd say that this is one of the better interpretations of our favorite publisher as the personal grudge he has with Spider-Man actually is, well...personal.

If anything the way Spider-Man interacted with Jonah also gives more characterization for Peter, as what they said over the podcast with Peter being able to say and do irritating things to his boss under the anonymity of a mask that he wouldn't do as Peter. Peter can be quite cheeky as Spider-Man; not just to villains, but even to people that he generally likes, but has ANY sort of minor petty disdain for (JJJ). I remember Peter doing harmless pranks in the comics quite a bit (like webbing his college dean's door shut for example). Not enough to hurt someone, but enough to inconvenience them.

You know...Peter mocking and provoking J. Jonah Jameson has got me thinking about Eddie again in terms of the differing personality to Peter. People like to blame solely the Symbiote for Venom's nature and turn to darkness ...However, when Peter had the Symbiote, he wasn't going after people like Jonah, Flash, Sally and the like to get back at them for petty reasons. He was rude, sure; Peter also brushed off his actual friends like Gwen, and even took a deal from a crime lord. That said he still didn't go out to hurt anyone who wronged him. It goes to show that even with negative emotions being on the forefront, Peter doesn't have it in him to go out of his way to hurt or kill someone...Where Eddie went straight to thoughts of murder as a first resort, only stopping for the sadistic purpose of twisting the knife first.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #86
Jordacar
The Endless One

The development they gave to JJ was so smooth, I didn't even realize it was happening. Usually Jonah is given a pretty singular personality, but the writers brilliantly saw potential for a build in his dynamic with the webhead that I'd never even thought of.

Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #87
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
The name Colonel Jupiter originating from the show was something I didn't know about. Funnily enough I remember reading the comic that featured John in the Jupiter suit (something about the misunderstanding being Spider-Man robbing a bank [it was a bomb he was removing]).

The escalation theme I mentioned earlier is also present with Jonah in this show. I remember him not really caring about Spider-Man's existence when he first heard about Spidey and just wanted to make money off of the Webhead. Then minor things like Spider-Man doing small stuff to humiliate him (sticking him to the ceiling in the Rhino attack) as well as jealousy of Spider-Man and Gobby's fight getting more attention than his astronaut son's landing, started him on the path to thinking Spider-Man was no good. It all turns into full blown hatred when Spider-Man defeats John, and sending him to Ravencroft. I'd say that this is one of the better interpretations of our favorite publisher as the personal grudge he has with Spider-Man actually is, well...personal.

If anything the way Spider-Man interacted with Jonah also gives more characterization for Peter, as what they said over the podcast with Peter being able to say and do irritating things to his boss under the anonymity of a mask that he wouldn't do as Peter. Peter can be quite cheeky as Spider-Man; not just to villains, but even to people that he generally likes, but has ANY sort of minor petty disdain for (JJJ). I remember Peter doing harmless pranks in the comics quite a bit (like webbing his college dean's door shut for example). Not enough to hurt someone, but enough to inconvenience them.

You know...Peter mocking and provoking J. Jonah Jameson has got me thinking about Eddie again in terms of the differing personality to Peter. People like to blame solely the Symbiote for Venom's nature and turn to darkness ...However, when Peter had the Symbiote, he wasn't going after people like Jonah, Flash, Sally and the like to get back at them for petty reasons. He was rude, sure; Peter also brushed off his actual friends like Gwen, and even took a deal from a crime lord. That said he still didn't go out to hurt anyone who wronged him. It goes to show that even with negative emotions being on the forefront, Peter doesn't have it in him to go out of his way to hurt or kill someone...Where Eddie went straight to thoughts of murder as a first resort, only stopping for the sadistic purpose of twisting the knife first.
That's a good point. The symbiote didn't create anything new for whomever was attached to it, instead, the symbiote just brought to the forefront the dark feelings that were hidden beneath the surface. So, for Peter, this was all the hurt he had because of losing his Uncle and the resentment he may have been feeling. It doesn't make him evil but once those feelings were no longer being filtered, it made Peter into a jerk (for lack of a better word). And with Eddie, it's like he had all those thoughts of murder and wanting to do evil things as a result of the pain he was hiding but because it was being filtered by his sense of self restraint or whatever, for most looking on they just thought Eddie was just your typical well-adjusted college student. Once the symbiote released those feelings Eddie was free to become what he may have just truly wanted all along.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #88
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

You know, is this one of the only Spidey related adaptions to REALLY reference things from New York?

Normally the only major area that we ever get to see in a fictional New York is Times Square, but in this cartoon we've also seen locations like Central Park, Coney Island, and the Rockefeller Center Ice Rink; as well as events like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Also characters like Jonah, Sandman, and Spidey himself mention sports teams like the Knicks and the Yankees. Small touches like this REALLY establish that Spectacular Spider-Man takes place in New York City. OUR New York City and not somewhere that is inspired by it like Metropolis.

I've also come across another thread of ours during a Google search

Favorite Spectacular Spidey Quotes