The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #301
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Default Re: Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 3

Seems to me like the WB have painted themselves into a corner by giving Nolan "Carte Blanche" with their Batman character.

Now that Marvel has proven that a shared Universe can work on the big screen, the WB are looking to cash in, but now have the un-enviable task of what to do in regards of Batman's placement within said shared universe...

Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out, if it ever even DOES...

Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #302
mat-chow
Superdad

I have to think that if this ridiculous option is even on the table that factions within the WB/DC hierarchy are railing against it. I can't imagine that a guy like Geoff Johns, who as far as I'm aware is still their chief creative/multi media guy, would be ok with the Blake option. It comes down to the execs I know but they are taking informed opinions from everyone involved I'm sure. I think it's fine for batman to have a little nick fury in that he manipulates the JL into existence but it would be absolutely lame for beat up old Bruce Wayne to be the figurehead instead of an active member showing his prowess and worth in battle.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #303
quixote_coyote
Side-Kick

i just read some "bruce vs. blake" arguments and i decided to take a poll at my work. i work construction in tx and i dont work w the brightest bulbs. therefore, i felt like whatever answer i got would be a good judgement on "who" the GA thinks batman is.
the winner? " bruce wayne" not only was i shocked that all 20+ people i asked answered bruce, but when i asked "what about john blake?" they said "who??".
i get that some of you think that the ga are stupid, but come on, bruce wayne has been batman since the adam west days! no matter what, in peoples minds, he will ALWAYS be batman!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #304
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

To be honest... I doubt even Nolan wants Blake to leave his own self contained trilogy.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #305
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixote_coyote View Post
i just read some "bruce vs. blake" arguments and i decided to take a poll at my work. i work construction in tx and i dont work w the brightest bulbs. therefore, i felt like whatever answer i got would be a good judgement on "who" the GA thinks batman is.
the winner? " bruce wayne" not only was i shocked that all 20+ people i asked answered bruce, but when i asked "what about john blake?" they said "who??".
i get that some of you think that the ga are stupid, but come on, bruce wayne has been batman since the adam west days! no matter what, in peoples minds, he will ALWAYS be batman!
yep. not surprising. everyone knows bruce wayne is batman, clark kent is superman, and now i guess people know tony stark is iron man. try to put someone else in there, and they won't know who you're talking about.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #306
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
Seems to me like the WB have painted themselves into a corner by giving Nolan "Carte Blanche" with their Batman character.

Now that Marvel has proven that a shared Universe can work on the big screen, the WB are looking to cash in, but now have the un-enviable task of what to do in regards of Batman's placement within said shared universe...

Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out, if it ever even DOES...
I don't think they were too worried about that any more than they were about the franchise making money. They always knew that if anything went wrong they could always reboot it. Batman on film has been rebooted, so to speak, at least 6 times since the 1940's, so I don't think Nolan's Batman was going to paint the franchise in a corner at all.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #307
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
His scoop is that JL is stalled and they'll finish up the Mos trilogy before they get into JL again.
good because the man of steel films would have wrapped up by then and batman will have been reintroduced in 2019 so wb can hire zack snyder to direct jla and henry will be a huge mover star in 2021 when this get's made it will be bigger and better then the avenger's ever was .

Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #308
Donut
Banned User

If the WB is serious about JL then just hire their favorite director first & let that director bring in the people he'd want to work with on everything such as cast & script & stay out of the way. Because clearly the WB sucks

Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #309
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

Quote:
try to put someone else in there, and they won't know who you're talking about.
You must think the audience is very dumb. If they see a different character putting on the suit. They know it's not Bruce. Simple as that.

"I think that [Wonder Woman and Batman] are very Alpha-type." - Gal Gadot
"I think [Wonder Woman] is the True North superhero of this posse." - Patty Jenkins
"Wonder Woman is the Best Fighter in the DC Universe" - Geoff Johns
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #310
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Th Biggrin Re: Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
You must think the audience is very dumb. If they see a different character putting on the suit. They know it's not Bruce. Simple as that.
my point was that people know batman is bruce wayne. put in john blake, even people who've seen the dark knight rises will stop, and probably think:
"hey isn't bruce wayne batman? who is this guy?"

then they'll have a fanboy friend say:
"well he was john blake in the dark knight rises. you know? the end of chris nolan's EPIC dark knight trilogy, ever heard of it?"

then the first guy will say " why would they continue with that? i thought that ended and this was something new..."

shocked fanboy friend will say:"wait, so you're not a complete idiot and you understand that franchises don't need to continue for continuities sake?!"

Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #311
quixote_coyote
Side-Kick

thats the funny thing. at least half the people i asked had seen tdkr. i said " yeah john blake was the cop whos real name was robin, it was implied that he would go on to be batman." i mostly got answers like " ooh yeah i remember him/ hes to skinny/ i thought the whole point was the legend ends/ thats stupid hes not batman/ etc..." it was actually kinda funny watching all these rough necks have their own little versions of nerd rage lol.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #312
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Gina Carano would be a wonderful Wonder Woman. She brings a fierceness no other female actor alive can bring because it's genuine, and she is gorgeous. Let us remember that Lynda Carter was a no name model when she became WW. I think after Fast Six, people are gonna love Gina more.

My top vote for WW is still Bridget Regan though:

Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #313
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

Quote:
my point was that people know batman is bruce wayne. put in john blake, even people who've seen the dark knight rises will stop, and probably think:
"hey isn't bruce wayne batman? who is this guy?"

then they'll have a fanboy friend say:
"well he was john blake in the dark knight rises. you know? the end of chris nolan's EPIC dark knight trilogy, ever heard of it?"

then the first guy will say " why would they continue with that? i thought that ended and this was something new..."

shocked fanboy friend will say:"wait, so you're not a complete idiot and you understand that franchises don't need to continue for continuities sake?!"
Yeah, that's silly. People would come into the theaters knowing it's a new Batman because that's how it would be marketed.

Franchises don't need to continue for continuity's sake? That's something only a handful of fanboys would whine about. Everyone else would just enjoy the story as the next chapter.

"I think [Wonder Woman] is the True North superhero of this posse." - Patty Jenkins
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #314
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

You call yourself fanboiii yet you'd rather see a character that doesn't exist in the comics as batman than Bruce Wayne? All for continuity of a franchise where superpowers don't exist?

It's the same argument from 2004 when they were casting begins." Keaton should come back as batman. They should keep George Clooney but the tone of the movie will be different than batman and robin. Darren aronofsky is making year one, and Bruce doesn't wear the suit, the bat mobiles an old car, Alfred is a mechanic, Bruce has never heard of McDonald's. brilliant! Lets make this movie!" This is how ridiculous the fanboys sound. Anything anyone at the studio says is great, even if it compromises everything with the character. Craigbfan said it when he said fanboys just throw it all away just so they can see their "favorite" character back on the big screen.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #315
quixote_coyote
Side-Kick

please no. i get the feeling that the only reason gina carano is picked for ww is either bc shes dating henry cavill or bc she has "big muscles"... she doesnt look like ww, and her acting is sub par at best. dont get me wrong, i can look past her looks. if only she could act! thats what i want to distinguish the dccu from the mcu: acting. the mcu has ok/good actors. i want dc to have the cream of the crop when it comes to acting chops. and sadly gina does not

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #316
quixote_coyote
Side-Kick

please no. i get the feeling that the only reason gina carano is picked for ww is either bc shes dating henry cavill or bc she has "big muscles"... she doesnt look like ww, and her acting is sub par at best. dont get me wrong, i can look past her looks. if only she could act! thats what i want to distinguish the dccu from the mcu: acting. the mcu has ok/good actors. i want dc to have the cream of the crop when it comes to acting chops. and sadly gina does not

Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #317
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixote_coyote View Post
Nobody said that more people know Blake than Bruce... Like, at all. Nobody even kind of hinted at that.

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #318
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Nobody said that more people know Blake than Bruce... Like, at all. Nobody even kind of hinted at that.
You kind of implied it when you earlier claimed that since TDKR, it was public awareness that John Blake has now replaced Bruce as Batman. I say kind of because you weren't saying more people around the world knew that, just that it was public awareness.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #319
dnno1
Side-Kick

Gina Carano is just this year's Katherine MacPhee/Nadia Bjorlin/Jordan Bayne who wants to exploit the character for publicity. Just by looking at the actors the studio and directors have either picked or suggested, Carano is not even fit the mold. She's just a former MMA athlete who is trying to promote their acting career any way they can. I wish her success, but it's not going to be as Wonder Woman.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #320
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't think they were too worried about that any more than they were about the franchise making money. They always knew that if anything went wrong they could always reboot it. Batman on film has been rebooted, so to speak, at least 6 times since the 1940's, so I don't think Nolan's Batman was going to paint the franchise in a corner at all.
It absolutely did, because they are now going into a Justice League movie with no one established as Batman.

It's not fair for the other JLA characters, or fans there of, who are going to see this team in a live action movie, to have to sit through an explaination of where Batman sits in movie continuity. It takes screen time away from the team as a whole.

You follow me?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #321
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

Quote:
You call yourself fanboiii yet you'd rather see a character that doesn't exist in the comics as batman than Bruce Wayne.
My name is not without it's irony :P I'm not particularly attached to individual details like names and costumes.

Maybe John Blake as Batman could be an awesome character? I'm not going to shut down that possibility on face value.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #322
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
That's kinda the point of the whole Blake v Wayne argument though. Everyone knows Bruce Wayne is Batman, everyone expects Bruce Wayne to be Batman and most importantly, Bruce Wayne is who people care about.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #323
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
It absolutely did, because they are now going into a Justice League movie with no one established as Batman.

It's not fair for the other JLA characters, or fans there of, who are going to see this team in a live action movie, to have to sit through an explaination of where Batman sits in movie continuity. It takes screen time away from the team as a whole.

You follow me?
That depends on how you look at it. Like I said before once Noalan's Batman was established and they saw that if was a profitable run, they did not want to disturb it. They were more interested in the franchise's profitablity than anything else. As you can see, now they are wanting to reboot the character now. Had "The Dark Knight" not made a killing at the box office, they would have been rebooting the franchise sooner.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #324
jmc
away for a while

To a certain extent TDK actually did back WB into a corner, once that film, and subsequently Inception made the huge box office numbers they did it gave Nolan pretty much full control as to where to take Batman from there on in. There's no doubt in my mind as much as WB loved the revenue the last two Batman film made they would of loved it more if they could have kept the series on going. But I give the studio credit for allowing Chris to finish the story arc.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #325
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Although I liked what Nolan did with Batman other than TDKR, it does bug me a bit now looking back that Nolan grounded Batman in such a realistic world with no superpowered beings existing. All you had to do was do a few minor changes in both movies and you could've had a shared universe by now. The tone, feel, and story would've been pretty similar for the most part. If that was the case followed by TDKR not having such a closed ending with the eight-year gap also not being there to begin with, we would've been set to go already.

I understand what CaptainStacy means when he says WB painted themselves into a corner with this. It will be really hard for WB to top TDK in quality with the reboot especially since this is the one studio known for having a really hard time to do superheroes justice on the big screen.

Closed Thread