Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #751
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - Part 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Avengers 4 I think will shake things up a lot. But, Star Wars needed what Rian Johnson did with it. I absolutely adored TLJ. For me, it gave me everything I wanted out of TFA and didn't get. It was bold, creative, and left the Star Wars universe with good real estate to do something new. Then, they hired JJ Abrams back
Yes! TLJ cleared up the echo chamber of TFA (which I did like overall as a movie) and let the story end somewhere fresh and excitingly new for SW in Episode IX. It also set up the galaxy to break out of the paradigm it has been in with every movie, either because of the existence of the Empire (which the First Order essentially still is) or in the run-up to it with the prequels. After Episode IX they could go anywhere.

Assuming of course that JJ does not just go back to the well, which every well may.

--John Adams
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #752
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

^After TLJ's mixed reception I doubt you're going to see many fresh new ideas in episode IX, which is disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I'm expecting the end of Marvel Netflix on the basis of Disney soon setting up their own streaming service. Or perhaps they'll just use Hulu.
If Hulu drops the number of episodes per season to, say, 10 then I'm all for it.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 12-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #753
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

The Star Wars movies could do well without "fresh ideas" like 'heroism just makes things worse'.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #754
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The Star Wars movies could do well without "fresh ideas" like 'heroism just makes things worse'.
I don't think that was the message of TLJ...

--John Adams
Old 12-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #755
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I don't think that was the message of TLJ...
Which are the messages that you found refreshing and that you do not expect to see in the MCU? Have you seen similar messages in non-MCU CBMs?

Old 12-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #756
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Really that's the "dark side?" That's commonplace anywhere. We don't have downvotes here, but let someone come into this thread and say something bad about the MCU and watch the MCU Defense League not let it go for 3 days. Or conversely, go into a Positivity thread for any DCEU movies, say something disparaging abou tthe DCEU and watch people damn near have conniptions.
This happens in any section of any site.

But also with TLJ let's not forget the otherside. All these people, include film pundits, who are trying to act like the only people who have anything bad to say about the movie are fanboys whose wishes didn't come through or trolls. I've even seem mods do the same type of stuff when talking about TLJ that the Snyder fans did with BVS

But wait, why is Star Wars even brought up in thread. I avoid the Star Wars section and muted TLJ on my Twitter to avoid hearing the idiocy from both sides.

Back to superheroes
That's different. People do defend things passionately here. Even too passionately sometimes. That I can understand. But I don't think people here react negatively, if someone just says that they enjoy something. This place is nice like that.

Well, if someone told that they genuinely like Catwoman or Fant4stic, they might be made fun of, but yeah.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #757
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
^After TLJ's mixed reception I doubt you're going to see many fresh new ideas in episode IX, which is disappointing.

If Hulu drops the number of episodes per season to, say, 10 then I'm all for it.
10 would be great. But Defenders should also be bumped up to 10.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #758
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Yes! TLJ cleared up the echo chamber of TFA (which I did like overall as a movie) and let the story end somewhere fresh and excitingly new for SW in Episode IX. It also set up the galaxy to break out of the paradigm it has been in with every movie, either because of the existence of the Empire (which the First Order essentially still is) or in the run-up to it with the prequels. After Episode IX they could go anywhere.

Assuming of course that JJ does not just go back to the well, which every well may.
Because it is JJ Abrams, I am very afraid he will

I don't hate JJ Abrams, but all his movies recycle familiar elements on rely on nostalgia.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #759
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
Because it is JJ Abrams, I am very afraid he will

I don't hate JJ Abrams, but all his movies recycle familiar elements on rely on nostalgia.
Not such a bad thing in my book tbh. Depends on how old one is I suppose, I am exactly the right age for the era he is so keen on drawing from.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #760
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
Not such a bad thing in my book tbh. Depends on how old one is I suppose, I am exactly the right age for the era he is so keen on drawing from.
But it also stagnates creativity. Example: Star Trek Into Darkness. We have this good movie brewing with Kirk vs Admiral Markus. There is an interesting conspiracy, the Enterprise is overmatched, etc. Movie is going well. Then what happens? We force Evil Seed and Wrath of Khan plot points literally into the movie, derailing the good movie we had and made me instead think "Why am I not watching Wrath of Khan?" I can argue same for TFA. Nostalgia is great, but when the story is the same beat for beat, I just ask myself "Why am I not watching ANH?" That's my problem with JJ.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #761
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
But it also stagnates creativity. Example: Star Trek Into Darkness. We have this good movie brewing with Kirk vs Admiral Markus. There is an interesting conspiracy, the Enterprise is overmatched, etc. Movie is going well. Then what happens? We force Evil Seed and Wrath of Khan plot points literally into the movie, derailing the good movie we had and made me instead think "Why am I not watching Wrath of Khan?" I can argue same for TFA. Nostalgia is great, but when the story is the same beat for beat, I just ask myself "Why am I not watching ANH?" That's my problem with JJ.
ST : ID's reveal only works if you have seen Wrath of Khan, within the context of JJ's film, without that prior knowledge, the modern reveal falls short, but I still enjoy the new Trek. Sorry, I am derailing the thread.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #762
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
ST : ID's reveal only works if you have seen Wrath of Khan, within the context of JJ's film, without that prior knowledge, the modern reveal falls short, but I still enjoy the new Trek. Sorry, I am derailing the thread.
STID is a caricature of a bad movie, and we have it to blame for neutering a resurgent franchise. Things may look up now that Tarantino is taking over ST.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #763
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Really that's the "dark side?" That's commonplace anywhere. We don't have downvotes here, but let someone come into this thread and say something bad about the MCU and watch the MCU Defense League not let it go for 3 days. Or conversely, go into a Positivity thread for any DCEU movies, say something disparaging abou tthe DCEU and watch people damn near have conniptions.
This happens in any section of any site.

But also with TLJ let's not forget the otherside. All these people, include film pundits, who are trying to act like the only people who have anything bad to say about the movie are fanboys whose wishes didn't come through or trolls. I've even seem mods do the same type of stuff when talking about TLJ that the Snyder fans did with BVS

But wait, why is Star Wars even brought up in thread. I avoid the Star Wars section and muted TLJ on my Twitter to avoid hearing the idiocy from both sides.

Back to superheroes

Not it probably won't.

Lol.. so totally wrong there. Maybe you are confusing this thread with something else?

Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #764
honestbharani
Side-Kick

The thing about the RT audience scores is that as far as I get the picture,, RT simply said nobody hacked their system or something to bring those numbers. Nothing stopping some "fans" from creating multiple IDs just to rate the movie lesser. I put nothing beyond hatred fuelled internet "fans" and there is a sizeable number of them. See all the "signs" that JL Zaddy petition got.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #765
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well said.

--John Adams
Old 12-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #766
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
Lol.. so totally wrong there. Maybe you are confusing this thread with something else?
He has a point, this thread can be very defensive if the MCU even when people aren't even making criticisms. I won't give examples to not be rude.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #767
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
He has a point, this thread can be very defensive if the MCU even when people aren't even making criticisms. I won't give examples to not be rude.

People refuting points they feel are wrong is not getting defensive. The definition of defensive is honestly your own post.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #768
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
People refuting points they feel are wrong is not getting defensive. The definition of defensive is honestly your own post.
Pot. Kettle. Black. lol.

I'll be magnanimous and point out that you're using the term "refuting" when there's no way for you to know that. You have absolutely no idea which discussions are being referred to.

It's not about people countering points that they believe to be wrong. That's fine. It's literally about some posters (by no means most or all) getting defensive if there's either a critique of the MCU or even what they incorrectly interpret as a critique, then sometimes raising the temperature, shadowboxing, etc.

It's not a controversial statement, I've been on too many communities and they all have their own internal biases. I'll hazard a guess that there are no longstanding and neutral long term communities anywhere.

A while back it used to be the opposite here. You can look up versus threads from 2014 and 2015, Man of Steel and TDKR were crushing a lot of MCU films. Some of us concluded that the hype community had a large share of DCEU fans.

I now like the MCU, phase III has been a big step up for me.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 12-22-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:22 AM   #769
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Pot. Kettle. Black. lol.

I'll be magnanimous and point out that you're using the term "refuting" when there's no way for you to know that. You have absolutely no idea which discussions are being referred to.

It's not about people countering points that they believe to be wrong. That's fine. It's literally about some posters (by no means most or all) getting defensive if there's either a critique of the MCU or even what they incorrectly interpret as a critique, then sometimes raising the temperature, shadowboxing, etc.

It's not a controversial statement, I've been on too many communities and they all have their own internal biases. I'll hazard a guess that there are no longstanding and neutral long term communities anywhere.

A while back it used to be the opposite here. You can look up versus threads from 2014 and 2015, Man of Steel and TDKR were crushing a lot of MCU films. Some of us concluded that the hype community had a large share of DCEU fans.

I now like the MCU, phase III has been a big step up for me.

Glad you can see that about your posts.

And no, I meant this thread in my original post. And in my time of being here, nothing of the sort the quoted post said has happened. So, again, not sure what your point is coz I am not talking about the forum as a whole and even if that is the case, the entire DC area of this site is a better example of the type of thing you guys are referring to. So, again, I am not sure what you are finding wrong with my post specifically on this topic.

And no, MoS did not crush any MCU film. That is not opinion, that is just a fact whether it is BO, profitability or critical ratings. So, if your example is about people responding to statements like that, I am again not sure what you are talking about.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #770
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
And in my time of being here, nothing of the sort the quoted post said has happened..
You've been here for two months.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #771
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post

If Defenders told us anything, than that less episodes lead to underedevolped characters

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #772
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
If Defenders told us anything, than that less episodes lead to underedevolped characters
Defenders wasted a lot of the screentime it had. What that really tells us is that the writing wasn't good enough. The opposite happened with the solo shows, they have too many episodes and the story is stretched too much. The Punisher especially had way too much filler, the first six episodes could have been reduced to two or three.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #773
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I think Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and The Punisher maximized their 13 episode runs. None of them dragged for me. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and even Daredevil season 2 could have trimmed themselves by 2-3 episodes, and I think those would have been all the better for it. Defenders maybe could have used another 1 or 2 episodes, but the issue on Defenders was more about changing villains at the last minute, ultimately making the previous episodes somewhat pointless.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #774
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

I might be the only person who really dug the Defenders. The Hand stuff does drag a bit, but overall it's up there with DD and JJ as one of my favorite Netflix series.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #775
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
You've been here for two months.
Enough to see plenty given it was the month of JL.

Closed Thread