The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old Today, 01:57 AM   #951
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I love the effort put into making that trailer.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:05 AM   #952
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was really hoping Ragnarok would be a much darker Thor movie (like the teaser in AoU, "We are dead, can you not see?") so I'm still not 100% sure about the movie itself, but that is a really well made trailer!

Old Today, 08:13 AM   #953
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"

I do think it's interesting how Marvel decided to crank the humor up a notch after the Dark World, which has a fair amount of misplaced humor.

Homecoming - 7.7.2017
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #954
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I do think it's interesting how Marvel decided to crank the humor up a notch after the Dark World, which has a fair amount of misplaced humor.
That was the problem, much of the humour in TDW wasn't good enough. There's a decision to be made with how much humour works for a particular film without reducing the stakes (a lot more for a Guardians or an Ant Man or even Spidey obviously) but whatever is used has to hit the mark rather than just be in there to show that 'the film isn't taking itself too seriously'.

I think they really got it right with TWS and the first Iron Man while Thor films have suffered most from getting it wrong. Wonder Woman proves that an out there mythological character from a made up place can still be played reasonably straight without having to apologise about its subject matter. The Ragnarok humour seems much better than how it's been done in previous Thor films as it seems to celebrate its outlandishness rather than be embarrassed about it.

Old Today, 09:47 AM   #955
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

The first Iron Man movie balanced the of humor really well in my opinion.

Some of the humor really didn't land with me for Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 and it lessened my enjoyment of that film.

I really like the tone of the Russo brothers films.

Old Today, 10:04 AM   #956
Zant
Side-Kick

Chris Hemsworth has great comic timing. I guess it was only a matter of time before they turned him into another comedic lead character. Chris Evans is also very funny but they have shown restraint with him. Hope they keep it that way.

Zant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #957
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhesive Boy View Post
I was of the understanding that we were sticking to the context of the discussion and that didn't need to be reiterated every time. Well then, if that's the level we're on, the statements are spelled differently so clearly I was oh so wrong wrong about them not having any difference. Silly me.

I very clearly stated that I was talking about superheroes not being as inspiring when they combat ordinary humans that are far below their level. It's related to the women vs men aspect of WW since that's how that struggle is for her, but it should have been clear that it was not strictly about that by me mentioning heroes like Superman alone, as he of course isn't about the female aspect.

To have a superhero be really relatable to problems with humans you need to make those issues things where the powers are of no consequence, or even a burden, like it often is for Spider-Man. To stand up to men that doesn't want you to go into a room or say something isn't as relatable when you're someone that doesn't care about society and is so powerful that no one could stop you from doing that. That's not really much a struggle.

As for being middle of the road, I mean it in the context where I actually treat women like equals and put the movie in comparison with all other similar movies. If some people want to be striving backwards and put them in their own category that's up to them. That's also why I see it as positive when superhero movies have shown women to just be treated on the same level as men, even if the movie doesn't make a big deal out of it. A more subtle thing that actually means more than to stand up to an old society that, while we still have plenty of issues today, is a bit of a caricature of our situation.
I think you misunderstand context, my friend. If I say "It's raining." Just because we were talking about the inside of a house before doesn't mean that I'm saying it's raining inside the house. You still have to take statements as they come, and realize the broader context your context occurs in. Alternately, you can ask questions without being condescending to get on the same page, if communication is indeed what you're interested in.

I think the movie very clearly showed that Diana cared about man's society, which was why she left the island, so your intepretation of her mindset, that her going into a room because she didn't care about society is really weird, especially for someone who goes on condescendingly about context. So I'm not sure if it lacked relatability, but I think we've established that there's things that you, as an individual, just don't see, or dismiss because you feel it's out of the context that you've chosen. Also who can't relate to wanting to walk into a conversation that has social consequences to join but physically no one can stop us?

There aren't any superhero movies (other than Wonder Woman) where women are treated as equal with men. That's kind of the point. Feel free to bring some up and I'll show you exactly why they fail to bring actual progress, oddly the same way Wonder Woman fails, they just don't spend much screen time on setting up and then undermining their female characters and feminine force. I have a sneaking suspicion you're referring to films like Avengers where the plot "just so happens" to treat the female heroes as lesser, but the movie goes out of its way to make it seem like they have a meaningful contribution, when in analysis they do not, something that cannot be said of the male heroes that they are said to be equal with.

Last edited by DrCosmic; Today at 11:46 AM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #958
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
Chris Hemsworth has great comic timing. I guess it was only a matter of time before they turned him into another comedic lead character. Chris Evans is also very funny but they have shown restraint with him. Hope they keep it that way.
Cavill is affable, personable, an all around fun guy and seems to have loads of charisma.

He is reduced to playing a cardboard cutout as Superman in the DCEU.

Old Today, 12:37 PM   #959
The Endless
WE are Groot

But fun and humour is unnatural and juvenile. And superheroes are serious business.

Old Today, 12:39 PM   #960
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
The first Iron Man movie balanced the of humor really well in my opinion.

Some of the humor really didn't land with me for Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 and it lessened my enjoyment of that film.

I really like the tone of the Russo brothers films.
The Russos have it right IMO. They give the GA MCU fans what they want with a good standard of consistent humour throughout the first half of the film before dialling it back as things get more important. So glad they are in charge of the biggest projects now.

Old Today, 01:10 PM   #961
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Patty Jenkins Explains Why Wonder Woman Didn't Have a Post-Credits Scene
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-three-hou...s-f-1818543643

I’m not always a believer in post-credit scenes. I feel like they make sense if the films are extremely similar. I think if you know the next movie is going to be set in the same world or have the exact same tone, then I think it makes sense. To me, it does not make sense to have a commercial for a completely different style of movie in the credits of another movie. One of my favorite things about the DC Universe is they were super supportive of me doing my own tone, but there’s no other movie that they have that’s of the same tone. So it just felt weird to do some other crossover. Also, the end of the movie was the end. It wasn’t, ‘Tune in later for more.’

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #962
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

This is an excerpt from a comment in the link that I find particularly inane:

Comment: Here in Canada you can pay upwards to almost 20 dollars to see a movie depending on the ticket you buy. MINIMUM 10 bucks. Then you got your food and drinks which for just ONE person is around 10 bucks.

Me: It's legitimate to be concerned that the prices of movie tickets are too high. That is a valid point. However, you are not obliged to buy the overpriced popcorn, candy, and coca cola. It is possible to go two hours without food, maybe even three hours without food, without dying. Further, even if you somehow "need" the food, movie theatre food is pretty much the lowest form of food. It might even be lower than Burger King.

I knew a guy in real life who made the same complaint. He said he pirated because he can't afford to go to the movies, but this was somebody who bought drinks, popcorn, etc.

Last edited by DA_Champion; Today at 01:18 PM.
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #963
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
But fun and humour is unnatural and juvenile. And superheroes are serious business.
I think that your casual dismissal of the humour complaint misses the point. I don't know if people are opposed to humour per se (some might be) but rather they're opposed to the excess humour present in some of the Marvel movies.

For example in Thor: The Dark World it just didn't stop and it was bad. The humour was unnatural, it was a distraction from the plot rather than bringing it forward, and it wasn't actually funny. For example, Erik Selvig was running around naked ... god knows how many times. We were supposed to respond with "hahahaha he's naked because he's mentally ill that's so funny, mental illness is funny lol" which isn't actually funny.

I don't laugh when someone interrupts a baseball game to run naked onto the field, it's just a waste of people's time, people who go to baseball games to watch baseball games. Similarly some of the jokes in the Marvel movies represent a break from the plot, they stop the story to tell a joke, as opposed to using a joke to advance the story and inform character.

It's also unnatural because real human beings don't tell jokes 24/7. That's actually considered annoying. I've been to funerals for example and though there may be moments of laughter, it isn't non-stop telling of zingers, and anybody who did that at a funeral would be kicked out. If you watch classic great films like The Godfather, Star Wars: A New Hope, or The Fellowship of the Ring, they do have humour but it isn't non-stop humour. Those films allow the stories to happen. Humour is a tool rather than the point.