Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #926
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
The same could be said about every Batman movie. Anytime Batman needed something, Lucius Fox just pulled another toy from his bag. The antidote, all of the vehicles, the cape, the bomb remote thing, skyhook, and most importantly the sonar to help Batman easily find the Joker. The Nolan movies are filled with deus ex machina. No complaints, of course.

At least we saw Tony create his element and crack a puzzle to obtain the new element.
How are these deus ex machina's ? The story provided for all those things naturally and they were not convenient. By that logic Yinsen and the car battery are deus ex machina's in IM1 and Howard Starks video and Expo scale model as well in IM2 which they aren't, they're just parts of the story.

To the DCEU

"In time you will know what it's like to Lose.

To feel so desperately that you're right, yet fail all the same"
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #927
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Wait when did this happen ? Is that how you interpret the ending of TDKR ?

Also, the reason people accept the changes made to Bane was because TDKR Bane is a cool character in his own right. No he's not a juiced up SA Luchador but he's a cool villain. And essential stuff like him being the guy that breaks the Bat was all left intact.
Isn't this the same as Mandarin? They made him cool, not just a stereotypical Kung Fu villain. All the great build up for Bane during the movie was taken away by Talia's reveal. She wasn't anything special to the plot, just fan service. Bane ended up being nothing more than a well spoken henchman doing the bidding of the daughter of a character that died in a movie that came out in 2005. I liked the movie but be consistent. TDKR has an extremely high rating by critics and fans. If these things didn't ruin the movie for fans, why would the Mandarin? I am assuming Guy Pearce is more interesting than Marion Cotillard playing herself.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #928
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Yeah while i ultimately disagree with you on the film, Marvel does need to stop the whole practice of having a cliffhanger then disregarding it later on with a throwaway line. I can't begin to tell you how annoyed i was with the whole "how much dark energy did the allfather had to muster to conjure you up here" line in Avengers, just completely negated the somewhat emotional send off the Thor film had, and them just going ahead and picking stark out of desperation even though he was declined? Sloppy stuff from Marvel indeed.
Same here. Well, it's good that they at least addressed these issues, but I just don't think a line or two are more important for the overall story than whole endings and scenes that are supposed to raise the stakes and have a somewhat emotional impact. As I said I ignored that kind of stuff for a while, but it's getting annoying at this point.

They tied some other loose ends with The Consultant, and that was more or less forgivable, it was smart I must admit, but still felt kinda off... I enjoy stuff like that, but I don't think people should need to buy Thor on DVD just to understand things from The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 that don't make much sense in the context of these separate movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
haha, I didn't hate it enough to rant about it, but so many people made such angry posts I felt like my impending opinion would just be a fart in the wind. I'm kinda over it now, because i actually love the game before the actual ending.
Hahaha, exactly! Well, sometimes people rant not because they're haters or anything, but because they are passionate and expressing yourself takes off some of the negative energy you have contained. But I gotta say, I loved the Extended Cut DLC.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #929
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Isn't this the same as Mandarin? They made him cool, not just a stereotypical Kung Fu villain. All the great build up for Bane during the movie was taken away by Talia's reveal. She wasn't anything special to the plot, just fan service. Bane ended up being nothing more than a well spoken henchman doing the bidding of the daughter of a character that died in a movie that came out in 2005. I liked the movie but be consistent. TDKR has an extremely high rating by critics and fans. If these things didn't ruin the movie for fans, why would the Mandarin? I am assuming Guy Pearce is more interesting than Marion Cotillard playing herself.

How about you watch the freakin movie before taking people to task about how they feel about the movie. Or have you already made up your mind that you're going to love the film regardless?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #930
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
I am assuming Guy Pearce is more interesting than Marion Cotillard playing herself.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #931
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
How about you watch the freakin movie before taking people to task about how they feel about the movie. Or have you already made up your mind that you're going to love the film regardless?
How about you calm down a bit?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #932
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
haha, but...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
...the Ben Kingsley version WAS cool ! he wasn't Kung Fu or Fu Manchu, he WAS cool before he turned out to be an actor. This whole Kung Fu Manchu nonsense is super annoying. He WAS cool the way they teased him in the trailers. And what's more, much like TDKR Bane, he was a grounded, real life version of the his comic book counter part. Forget the magic rings and the green skin.

This is what a lot of people defending the twist don't seem to understand.

Right now you are basically saying that Kingsley the way he was teased was a lame Chinese wizard with magic rings who owned a magical dragon but he wasn't. He was cool and before the twist could have been a more interesting Mandarin than Killian turned out to be.

To the DCEU

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 04-29-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #933
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Which is why this criticism of the Mandarin is a joke.. -snip- ..I don't mind the criticism, I just hate the inconsistencies of fan reviews.
Then why do you call this criticism a joke? People should be allowed to criticize whatever they want as much as you can hate their inconsistencies. Just because something in one movie resembles something in another movie doesn't mean they're both good or bad. Some cliches and twists work better in some movies than others.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #934
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
How about you calm down a bit?
I'm sorry, but I'm sick of people who haven't seen the movie giving their 2 cents for something they haven't seen. ElMariachi has been taking people to task for voicing opinions on one area of the film that is proving controversial, and unless he's seen the film he has no right to be doing so.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #935
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
I'm not on record saying IM3 was a great movie or anything. I havent seen it yet. But I don't have to see the movie to know that the changes aren't a big deal. Mountain from a molehill, this is.

By the way, who ever disliked a movie because of the villain? What of the heroes in this movie? They could have made General Grievous that villain in the original trilogy. The movies still would have been fun and good because of Han, Luke, Leia, the Droids, Obi Wan, Chewy, and Lando. Everything I have been hearing is that RDJ is in top form, Cheadle/Paltrow are much improved from 2, Happy is cool, Jarvis does his thing, and there is even a cure little kid. So again, what am I missing aside from the Mandarin thing? Nobody is complaining about anything else really.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #936
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
haha, but...

...the Ben Kingsley version WAS cool ! he wasn't Kung Fu or Fu Manchu, he WAS cool before he turned out to be an actor. This whole Kung Fu Manchu nonsense is super annoying. He WAS cool the way they teased him in the trailers. And what's more, much like TDKR Bane, he was a grounded, real life version of the his comic book counter part. Forget the magic rings and the green skin.

This is what a lot of people defending the twist don't seem to understand.

Right now you are basically saying that Kingsley the way he was teased was a lame Chinese wizard with magic rings who owned a magical dragon but he wasn't. He was cool and before the twist could have been a more interesting Mandarin than Killian turned out to be.
That's what I was trying to say from the very beginning. Glad to see there's someone that shares my opinion on that.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #937
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Same here. Well, it's good that they at least addressed these issues, but I just don't think a line or two are more important for the overall story than whole endings and scenes that are supposed to raise the stakes and have a somewhat emotional impact. As I said I ignored that kind of stuff for a while, but it's getting annoying at this point.

They tied some other loose ends with The Consultant, and that was more or less forgivable, it was smart I must admit, but still felt kinda off... I enjoy stuff like that, but I don't think people should need to buy Thor on DVD just to understand things from The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 that don't make much sense in the context of these separate movies.
I thought they could actually be a little creative in getting Thor back to earth and actually have Stark seek out shield himself or at the very least have an exchange with fury himself (the guy who actually denied stark to be part of the initiative) and make him have the actual choice to go ahead with it thanks to desperate times.

Quote:
Hahaha, exactly! Well, sometimes people rant not because they're haters or anything, but because they are passionate and expressing yourself takes off some of the negative energy you have contained. But I gotta say, I loved the Extended Cut DLC.
Waiting for some goty version so i can play the entire thing again with all the dlc and extra ending stuff. Can't wait.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/4-Batman Begins/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Guardians of the Galaxy/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #938
gogolbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogolbb View Post
Why would this review count as rotten on RT?

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/cinetolog...ack-in-action/
what about this one, a rotten too?

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-04-..._source=feedly

one review is about Shane black's return and the other one is about RDJ's the actor. None of them said much about the movie. They should not even count as movie reviews imo.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #939
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Then why do you call this criticism a joke? People should be allowed to criticize whatever they want as much as you can hate their inconsistencies. Just because something in one movie resembles something in another movie doesn't mean they're both good or bad. Some cliches and twists work better in some movies than others.
Because I know it isn't genuine. People frothing at the mouth.......over the Mandarin!? We aren't talking about Voldemort, Blofeld, or Khan here. Even if the twist didnt work, does that one aspect ruin a 2+hour experience. I didn't like Catwoman killing Bane in a quick flash but I still really enjoyed the movie.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #940
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
The same could be said about every Batman movie. Anytime Batman needed something, Lucius Fox just pulled another toy from his bag. The antidote, all of the vehicles, the cape, the bomb remote thing, skyhook, and most importantly the sonar to help Batman easily find the Joker. The Nolan movies are filled with deus ex machina. No complaints, of course.

At least we saw Tony create his element and crack a puzzle to obtain the new element.
Worst comparison ever, dude. Lucius Fox just supplied Bruce Wayne with gadgets. He didn't come in and magically put an end to an important plot point. But this isn't even a Marvel vs DC discussion, and I'd hate for it become one. I'm happy as long as the movies are great.

And Iron Man 2 was weak as hell sequel about nothing of a brilliant movie. It was shoehorned in there to accomodate the Marvel Studios' plans, when it really should have continued the story of Tony Stark in a great way. And Nick Fury & Co. solving that plot point by simply telling him "look for your father's stuff" did nothing for me; same with the new element. Seeing how we got there, it really was hot air. It's still a somewhat enjoyable movie, thanks to Favreau and the cast, but very weak.

@jmc: Personally, I don't think the plot twist did any harm to the movie. It's part of the movie, and I think it's brilliant.

Both for the social criticism, the nod to the villain as a racist stereotype, and for how the villain was brought to us in the end...as Aldrich Killian

Last edited by -JKR-; 04-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #941
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm sick of people who haven't seen the movie giving their 2 cents for something they haven't seen. ElMariachi has been taking people to task for voicing opinions on one area of the film that is proving controversial, and unless he's seen the film he has no right to be doing so.
Why not? People on here were flipping out over the twist and damning marvel and what not before they even saw the movie as well. Two way street my friend.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #942
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Because I know it isn't genuine. People frothing at the mouth.......over the Mandarin!? We aren't talking about Voldemort, Blofeld, or Khan here. Even if the twist didnt work, does that one aspect ruin a 2+hour experience. I didn't like Catwoman killing Bane in a quick flash but I still really enjoyed the movie.

What do you mean it isn't genuine? You think people are doing this for ****s and giggles?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #943
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
Why not? People on here were flipping out over the twist and damning marvel and what not before they even saw the movie as well. Two way street my friend.
Well they're just as bad.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #944
-JKR-
Side-Kick

The truth is people here expect their "fantasies" come true when the film starts rolling. They create an image of what they think the movie should be in their mind, and if it's any different, it's crap. Except if it's done in the comics, then it's fine. Comic book writers are allowed to play with the different elements, filmmakers are not, as it seems.
And this is really not directed towards people who simply didn't like the movie, but to those who are up in arms about what they did adaptation-wise, and want to see the movie fail because how bad of a disaster it is and how mean the bad bad bad Shane Black is for what they did to poor fans, etc. etc. - there's a meme about Shane Black already. Sad.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #945
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogolbb View Post
what about this one, a rotten too?

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-04-..._source=feedly

one review is about Shane black's return and the other one is about RDJ's the actor. None of them said much about the movie. They should not even count as movie reviews imo.
A quick look at Stephanie Zacherek's reviews. She didn't like Iron Man 3 or Avengers, and the Dark Knight, but she liked Spider-man 3. </ignore>

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #946
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
So again, what am I missing aside from the Mandarin thing? Nobody is complaining about anything else really.
What does that matter? You'll see the movie eventually and decide for yourself (if you haven't already decided that you'll like it regardless). It is indeed a controversial thing, as JMC started, and I agree completely. If you haven't seen the film, don't trash other people's opinion on something they didn't like.

Quote:
How on Earth do you KNOW it isn't genuine?!? You haven't even seen the film! Yet you know people are not being genuine? And stop comparing this to other stuff to prove your point - I'm not talking about Harry Potter or Star Trek or TDKR, I'm talking about this movie. I don't care what other movies did right or wrong, because two movies share a similar element doesn't mean they both have it right (or wrong).

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #947
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
The truth is people here expect their "fantasies" come true when the film starts rolling. They create an image of what they think the movie should be in their mind, and if it's any different, it's crap. Except if it's done in the comics, then it's fine. Comic book writers are allowed to play with the different elements, filmmakers are not, as it seems.
And this is really not directed towards people who simply didn't like the movie, but to those who are up in arms about what they did adaptation-wise, and want to see the movie fail because how bad of a disaster it is and how mean the bad bad bad Shane Black is for what they did to poor fans, etc. etc. - there's a meme about Shane Black already. Sad.
Today's audiences don't like to be challenged sadly enough...they feel entitled to get the film they want and damn anyone who has a different interpretation of what they feel is the one true only interpretation regardless if it makes a film worse or not.

Or some people just don't like the film Either way is fine I guess, not everyone can be the same.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/4-Batman Begins/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Guardians of the Galaxy/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #948
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
hardly seems fair don't ya think ? If it's different but an improvement people will accept it. Like TDK Joker and to a lesser extent the whole of TDKR. Hell, they'll celebrate it even. TDKR is a totally different movie than the majority was expecting, but the general consensus is that it's a great movie.

In the case of IM3 I don't think the complainers view all these changes as an improvement. And then there are a lot of people that view change, any change from the comic book source whatsoever, as an improvement by default.

To the DCEU

Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #949
Superman Earth1
Banned User

Just saw Iron Man 3 aside from him adding the other suits it was pretty much like Iron Man 2 or me. I think it was okay but not great. That is the only problem I saw with the movie. I mean it is not bad by any means it was just good and I guess I just expected more from it.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #950
-JKR-
Side-Kick

But improvement over what? Over what people expected to see after seeing the trailer?
Not everyone is happy with how the Joker was portrayed in The Dark Knight, that's fine. The same way not everyone can be happy with how Shane Black & Drew Pearce adapted the characters in this movie. And that's fine, aswell. It's okay not to like it. It's not okay to act like your point of view is the bible, that the twist harmed the movie and that the filmmakers have made a huge error.

Closed Thread