The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Has Marvel made an outright "bad" movie?
Yes 53 31.36%
No 116 68.64%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #251
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Has Marvel made an outright "bad" movie?

I'm actually the opposite. While I thought that GOTG Vol 2 was good overall, I find it to be inferior to the first film.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #252
The Endless
WE are Groot

It's less focused and a bit more rough around the edges than the first one. But I think that's a good thing. The characters were more fleshed out.

And Ego is probably the best MCU villain.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #253
Loki882
Side-Kick

I tend to be less forgiving about the whole "lack of a real plot" thing in sequels than I am with first films. So it loses points right away there with me. The humor didn't land as consistently for me as it did in the first film, and almost sitcom levels of it in the first half started to annoy me after awhile. There were noticeable plot conveniences/contrivances that stood out as well, and I wasn't personally fond of what they did with Drax's character, etc.

Ego is good, but the best. Nah.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #254
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
I know its not a popular opinion but I thought the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie was terrible. Its only redeeming factor was Draxx and the movie's soundtrack. Other than that I didn't find it entertaining, it was very corny, and the action looked so staged it made me cringe.
I also think the first 2 Captain America movies are pretty bad but none of them were as bad as GotG.
Wow, you're certainly in the minority there.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #255
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I tend to be less forgiving about the whole "lack of a real plot" thing in sequels than I am with first films. So it loses points right away there with me. The humor didn't land as consistently for me as it did in the first film, and almost sitcom levels of it in the first half started to annoy me after awhile. There were noticeable plot conveniences/contrivances that stood out as well, and I wasn't personally fond of what they did with Drax's character, etc.

Ego is good, but the best. Nah.
Who is better than Ego, for you?

I think there is a lot of layers to him as a character and also thematically. His plot is basically imperialism by selective breeding.

Plus is one of Russell's more nuanced performances.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #256
LaughterLives
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I didn't really even think about it until now but I'm with The Endless. I Also think Ego is easily the best Villain of the MCU so far.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #257
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I don't generally distinguish tiers once you get past "excellent". Whether you think Ego is better than Loki or worse than Zemo doesn't just come down to individual taste, but likely as not to one's own mood when asked the question. So, I say Ego is top tier, and don't worry about ranking him against the other top tier villains.

( Which, IMO, are Loki, Alexander Pierce, and Helmut Zemo, with Mordo likely to join them come Dr Strange 2. )

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #258
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Ego doesn't quite match Loki for me. Though it's unfortunately not a high bar. Ego is one of the best MCU villains. Probably 2nd best behind Loki for me.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Wonder Woman-9(6)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(7)It-8(8)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(9)John Wick 2-8(10)Split-8(11)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(12)Alien Covenant-7(13)Ghost In The Shell-7(14)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(15)The Dark Tower-4(16)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:36 AM   #259
Consona
Side-Kick

I though Kaecilius and Ego had the biggest potential and both were hugely missed opportunities. Like I've said, I utterly loved the philosophical bases of Kaecilius and Ego but the writers just scratched the surface of what could have been truly awesome.

I still cannot wait for Hela to hopefully be the earth-shattering villain MCU needs and deserves.

Consona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #260
B
[insert witty comment]

The MCU hasn't had any truly good villains apart from maybe Loki. The reason I say 'maybe Loki' is because is because he's not strictly speaking an outright black & white villain in the MCU IMO.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:40 AM   #261
Galactus123
Side-Kick

I'm not sure. The Incredible Hulk is not very good.

Galactus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #262
The_Manhunter
DCEU & MCU Fan

Outside of Ben Kingsley and RDJ, I find Iron Man 3 pretty bad. Because of those two though, it's mediocre.

1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2) The Avengers: Age of Ultron 3) Man of Steel 4) Guardians of the Galaxy 5) The Dark Knight 6) Doctor Strange 7) Wonder Woman 8) Captain America: Civil War 9) The Dark Knight Rises 10) The Avengers 11) Thor: The Dark World 12) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 13) Iron Man 14) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 15) X-Men: Days of Future Past 16) Thor 17) Batman Begins 18) Logan 19) Ant-Man 20) Iron Man 2 21) Suicide Squad
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #263
Panacea
Side-Kick

I don't think people should be spoiling Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 without tags in this thread.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #264
LaughterLives

What's been spoiled?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #265
Panacea
Side-Kick

Quote:

What's been spoiled?
That a certain character is a villain.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #266
LaughterLives

Ego being a villain was never a secret. Revealing his motives would be spoilers but they never hid the fact that Ego was the Villain.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #267
dc_marvel_fan
Banned User

Are you talking about numbers or plot?

Almost all Marvel movies make tons of money. But some of them (2 or 3 movies) are quite bad or average. Iron Man 3 is terrible for instance.

dc_marvel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #268
2002SpideyFan
Elite Mentor

Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Age of Ultron are pretty much bad.

2002SpideyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #269
Aztec
Side-Kick

Marvel has never made an outright bad film. They are all varying degrees of fun and/or quality. TIH, IM2, T:TDW are the weakest but none of them are bad.

Marvel Television on the other hand has not been so perfect. I could never get into AoS. Agent Carter was bad. An I'm 8 episodes into Iron Fist and it's downright terrible. I'm only sticking with it because the other Netflix shows have been great and I'm looking forward to Defenders.

#bringffhome
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #270
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Iron Man 2 was bad to me.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #271
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Marvel has never made an outright bad film. They are all varying degrees of fun and/or quality. TIH, IM2, T:TDW are the weakest but none of them are bad.

Marvel Television on the other hand has not been so perfect. I could never get into AoS. Agent Carter was bad. An I'm 8 episodes into Iron Fist and it's downright terrible. I'm only sticking with it because the other Netflix shows have been great and I'm looking forward to Defenders.
I'd argue Thor:TDW was bad. Iron Man 3 was pretty awful. Dr Strange wasn't good but not quite bad. GotG 2 was borderline bad.

On tv Agents of Shield was bad, of what I saw. Granted I might not have stuck with it long enough though. And I might be in the minority but I thought Jessica Jones was awful.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #272
InCali
I'm getting a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Ego being a villain was never a secret. Revealing his motives would be spoilers but they never hid the fact that Ego was the Villain.
It would have been a spoiler for me. I didn't see anything about it in the trailers or in any of the things I read.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #273
StormC
Custom User Title?

Ego being a villain was 100% a spoiler. All the posters and marketing set up the Sovereign as the main antagonists.

StormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #274
InCali
I'm getting a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormC View Post
Ego being a villain was 100% a spoiler. All the posters and marketing set up the Sovereign as the main antagonists.
I agree that, at the very least, it would have screwed up part of the last act. Earlier on, you knew something wasn't quite right, but weren't sure what it was. The reveal when Peter and Ego were having their discussion worked really well. Had I known, it would have ruined it for me.

I liked Ego and thought Kurt did a really nice job.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #275
Khaos
Banned User

No. But it has very weak movies, which to me are the same as bad movies, since i don't wanna watch neither. In fact, i'd rather watch Batman & Robin (a bad film) than Thor 2 (a mediocre film), because at least B&R can make me laugh from how ridiculous it is. Thor 2 is just boring.

Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote