The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #626
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: The TEASER TRAILER Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
I'm sure he's a good actor, but he's not selling me as Xavier, not in the way Fassbender is selling me as Magneto. Patrick Stewart has a really commanding presence, he takes up a lot of room onscreen even when he's just chewing the scenery. McAvoy kind of bores me, and before you go on about "subtleties", I'm sure the action movie he's been cast in will be short on those.
Agreed. Stewart is an icon. The guy can sell some of the most convulated dialogue ever written. McAvoy has GIGANTIC shoes to fill.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #627
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

He's an actor, not an imitator.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #628
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Not entirely sure i like McAvoy's restrained, whispery voice in the chess scene of the trailer but the trailer, as a whole, is good.

The continuity and changes from source are now giving me a headache, and i think most gripes and grumbles have been covered. I just want them to deliver a great X-Men movie and for the studio to learn its lesson over allowing enough time...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #629
JP
Smelly

I feel like the only person who has never been the slightest bit confused or given a headache.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #630
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Not entirely sure i like McAvoy's restrained, whispery voice in the chess scene of the trailer but the trailer, as a whole, is good.
I'm not really sure I like it either. His voice and his manuerisms don't really work for me as Xavier. Patrick Stewart was perfect for the role on multiple levels, it wasn't just his appearances, it was his ability to really sell the character. Xavier, IMO, is a very hard role to pull off because of his perchant for long, boring speeches, and his ability to seem commanding and strong while trapped in a weak, bald, handicapped body. Patrick was perfect because he played an incredibly manly character when he played Picard, but if was a very unconventional man's man (I actually always liked Stewie Griffin's description of him). McAvoy just doesn't scream Xavier for me, even in an off the wall type way. Honestly, I think I would've cast Jude Law as Xavier

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #631
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Jude Law is terrible.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #632
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
Jude Law is terrible.
How so? He's usually good even when the movie he is in sucks.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #633
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I feel like the only person who has never been the slightest bit confused or given a headache.
I doubt that.

Comparing it with the comics is a minefield of changes, accentuated as each film bases itself partly on the preceding ones.

And, of course, the films themselves have continuity changes. Four different directors, several sets of writers.

Surely you understand this?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #634
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I doubt that.

Comparing it with the comics is a minefield of changes, accentuated as each film bases itself partly on the preceding ones.

And, of course, the films themselves have continuity changes. Four different directors, several sets of writers.

Surely you understand this?
I understand that, though I fail to see your point?

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #635
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

I think JP said he's not confused.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #636
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
I think JP said he's not confused.
He did. And neither am I. I was pointing out that there have been a lot of changes from comics, and between films, and that some people don't like it - or have now had enough of it.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #637
Project862006
Banned User

if mcavoy was just like stewart's xavier there would be no progression what so ever

james said it himself he wants to show the progression from this xavier to eventually turn to Stewart's xavier you know that little thing called character development

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #638
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I understand that, though I fail to see your point?
See above. I answered to TOB, who seemed to leap in defensively...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #639
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
if mcavoy was just like stewart's xavier there would be no progression what so ever

james said it himself he wants to show the progression from this xavier to eventually turn to Stewart's xavier you know that little thing called character development
I have no problem with character development. Anyone here who's old enough to reflect on their teens and 20s knows how different their lives/values/outlook were.

Plus, this film is set in the swinging 60s when sexual freedom developed (and anything nasty caught as a result could be cleared up with a penicillin tablet!)

Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #640
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Okay, so I've been following your posts and you seem to go off on pretty much anyone who dares question the "brilliance" of McAvoy's acting skills. You even corrected someone on here for mispelling his name
So allow me to correct you again - it's not "brilliance", it's brilliance.
And I'm not correcting people, I'm stating a fact - he's very much considered one of the most brilliant young actors from the last few years. And it's not me who's saying this. If you search for articles and reviews mentioning his acting skills, you'll see how much he's appreciated, even sometimes being considered the best thing of the films he's in. It's easy - just google his name and later tell me if you can find another young actor who has received the same amount of praise James has received for his work in films, television and theater.
Well, apart for fanboys, that is, who seem to have a strange and inexplicable hatred towards him.

Quote:
Well, you should know I have seen all the aforementioned films (The Last Station being my fav) and I still don't think McAvoy is stellar.
I very much doubt you have seen The Conspirator, since it hasn't been released to the general public yet. Actually, I'm sorry, I very much doubt you've seen all the films I mentioned, or you wouldn't be calling them "questionable".

Quote:
Fassbender is more seasoned and commands more presence which is clearly why Vaughn made him "The Connery" of this film.
More seasoned how? What does it mean? That he has acted in more crappy films?
I guess you read Fassbender's interview here at the Hype, seeing you're such a fan. I guess you know too that McAvoy was the first actor confirmed for First Class. Of course, because it lookeded like a brilliant idea to both Vaughn and Singer to have an actor who's not stellar or has no presence or is still "getting there" as the protagonist of one of the biggest franchises ever. Anyway, back to Fassbender, what he said was how McAvoy was one of the biggest dawns that made him read the script and later join the project, and how he's a big fan of McAvoy's work. I believe much more in the opinion of another actor than whatever ******** the fanboys have to say about James. With Angelina Jolie it was the same, she mentioned in an interview she knew McAvoy had been called to do Wanted and that's why she decided to read the script, because if he was part of it it was at least an interesting project.
Again, I'm not inventing all this because I'm a delusional fan, as you seem to think; you can google all this info if you want.

Quote:
Jennifer Lawrence in her simplistic almost one-man-show that was Winter's Bone, did more for me than McAvoy has ever done in all his [supporting] roles.
This comment makes me 100% sure you know almost nothing about his films and his roles.

Quote:
Also, comments like (The Last King of Scotland) don't exactly make you seem like a very reasonable person
Huh? No, really, please explain how am I unreasonable, since it was the director of TLKoS himself who said James deserved much more praises than what he got for the film, and he was the de facto protagonist, and not Whitaker? Notice he wasn't putting Whitaker down, of course, he just noticed that McAvoy was unfairly treated, being an unknown young actor.

Quote:
But even after your post, I'm still looking forward to seeing what he does with Charles, specially after the solid delivery of that line at the end of the trailer.
I'm glad you're willing to give him a chance.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 02-15-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #641
Project862006
Banned User

how is fassbender more seasoned James started acting in 95 and fassebender in 01 both were discovered in the states around the same time

Fassbender with 300 in 06 and Mcavoy with Narnia in 05

Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #642
Iceman
Infinity War!

I think the Fassbender/McAvoy debate comes down to street cred more than acting ability. On the one hand Fassbender played an ultra-ripped, never-surrender, elite Spartan soldier in 300 who died for king & country... while McAvoy played a silly animal who had a silly chat with a little girl in a Narnia film!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #643
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I think the Fassbender/McAvoy debate comes down to street cred more than acting ability. On the one hand Fassbender played an ultra-ripped, never-surrender, elite Spartan soldier in 300 who died for king & country... while McAvoy played a silly animal who had a silly chat with a little girl in a Narnia film!
McAvoy brilliantly played athe lead in The last king of scotland while Fassbender played a generic character in a comic book movie. Street cred accounts for much but as far as acting goes mcAvoy has proven himself way more.

c-saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #644
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Well, before Narnia James was a street-wise thief in Shameless, and a cocky journalist in State of Play. Then he was an arrogant, disabled punk kid in "Inside I'm Dancing" and a murderous chef in "Macbeth".
Guess those are street cred enough...

Old 02-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #645
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-saw View Post
McAvoy brilliantly played athe lead in The last king of scotland while Fassbender played a generic character in a comic book movie. Street cred accounts for much but as far as acting goes mcAvoy has proven himself way more.
yeah but he also has this film

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #646
Iceman
Infinity War!

C'mon people, I wasn't even making any attempt to hide that I was joking!

I don't get why there's a McAvoy Vs Fassbender air to things here. They're on the same team!! Well they aren't but you get what I mean.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #647
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

I think the majority here agrees that Fassbender is a pretty good actor who starred in pretty good films, even if he has been part of some really bad ones too.
It's McAvoy's acting talent that is always being disputed.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #648
Project862006
Banned User

why would it atonement and last king of Scotland is more than enough proof of his talents

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #649
Matt Mortem
You'll Float Too

I like em both soooo the whole debate doesn't make much sense to me

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #650
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote: