The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Which film is better
Thor (2011) 104 42.11%
Thor: The Dark World (2013) 122 49.39%
Tie 21 8.50%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #401
Fosterson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 493
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Okay just checking - cause I saw you on the Age of Ultron board as well posting more negativity despite not having even seen the film.
Correction: I was pointing out that in one of the clips released, Quicksilver appeared to KO Thor. Since everyone was saying how powerful Thor is in this movie, I decided to emphasise that I would need some convincing in order to change my mind. I wasn't declaring the movie itself to be terrible without having seen it; far from it.

Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #402
seahammer
Asgardian
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 2,076
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post
With an alien invasion at the end, a central , poorly explained McGuffin, spaceships, laser guns and portals. Is that enough? Oh, and enough scientific jargon to make you want to have a lobotomy.
I guess I see what you're saying, but the thought never crossed my mind. On that superficial level, sure they're similar. But the themes of the films are so different, the tone is so different, the characters are so different, that I still can't imagine TDW as a mini-Avengers.

And just a comment on the exchange above (sorry to butt in, and I'm not trying to attack you or anything): I can tell that you love the MCU because you are very passionate about it, but there seems to be just a negative tinge to a lot of your comments, which gives people the wrong impression. Everyone sees the world in a different way, and you're entitled to your worldview, but when so many of your comments are framed in such a way, it really gives the appearance that you're being intentionally negative. Were you the one who started the "Will Surtur Suck?" thread? Why not just a general Surtur thread? Or "What is the best way to do Surtur" or something like that? Again, sorry to go on like this. It really isn't my place to say anything, so if this post bothers you and you want me to delete it, let me know. No harm intended.

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch or how I would use Beta Ray Bill in the MCU

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #403
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick
 
Ragnaroknroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,254
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
I guess I see what you're saying, but the thought never crossed my mind. On that superficial level, sure they're similar. But the themes of the films are so different, the tone is so different, the characters are so different, that I still can't imagine TDW as a mini-Avengers.

And just a comment on the exchange above (sorry to butt in, and I'm not trying to attack you or anything): I can tell that you love the MCU because you are very passionate about it, but there seems to be just a negative tinge to a lot of your comments, which gives people the wrong impression. Everyone sees the world in a different way, and you're entitled to your worldview, but when so many of your comments are framed in such a way, it really gives the appearance that you're being intentionally negative. Were you the one who started the "Will Surtur Suck?" thread? Why not just a general Surtur thread? Or "What is the best way to do Surtur" or something like that? Again, sorry to go on like this. It really isn't my place to say anything, so if this post bothers you and you want me to delete it, let me know. No harm intended.
seahammer, I like how you've kindly and respectfully pointed this out. We're all pretty passionate about this stuff and opinions differ of course. However, I too disliked the title of the Surtur thread. Things like that just bristle with negativity. And it is so unnecessary.

It's not like Marvel isn't trying here. I just saw a movie this weekend that featured a viking space god, a star spangled hero from the 40's, a green goliath, a man in a flying metal suit and a red, green and yellow android Vision, cape and all. A movie that was made with tremendous expense and passion. Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. And there's more to come. Ragnarok. Black Panther. Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for crying out loud. As a comic fan all of this makes me extremely GRATEFUL.

Not everything Marvel does will be universally loved. That's not even possible. Realize that not everyone likes the same things. But somehow every film they have made has overall been received positively by critics and the GA despite delivering the most outlandish of concepts from the comics and bringing them to life while trying to be relevant to modern sensibilities. At times they stuck to their guns despite outside pressures - like Cap's WWII origin - and the MCU is better for it. What they've done is nothing short of amazing IMO.

And I love Thor: The Dark World. Still do. I've found people who loved it at first are now capitulating to the wellspring of negativity and apologizing for liking it but I absolutely will not. It's one of my favorite MCU films. I enjoy being in touch with my inner kid. And I hate people telling me what is funny and what isn't. I loved the humor in TDW more than GOTG. I found it to be more fun than CA:TWS.

So what if it was like mini Avengers? It's not like a lot of us weren't thinking during the Chitauri invasion: Shoot Thor could probably take out most of these guys himself. He doesn't need to be catching purse snatchers or busting crime bosses. That's what Spider-Man and Daredevil are for. I thought it was cool he got to handle a cosmic level threat all by himself. And the invasions from the two films aren't even the same. Totally different end game.

I understand people like to diss the movie. Fine. But that drum has been beaten too many times IMO. It's getting old at this point. What more is there to say? And the way Marvel utilized Thor in AOU and the comments that they've made about how important he is and their plans for his next chapter are enough for me to be very optimistic about where things are going from here.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #404
one4smoke
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 243
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley2004 View Post
Those poll results, to me are very strange. Thor, was pretty good. Also as far as Marvel movie goes it was somewhat unique. Thor the dark world on the other hand.
This ^

one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #405
one4smoke
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 243
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

The first Thor is the BEST MCU movie to date, in my opinion.

one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #406
First Avenger
Side-Kick
 
First Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asgard
Posts: 5,360
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
seahammer, I like how you've kindly and respectfully pointed this out. We're all pretty passionate about this stuff and opinions differ of course. However, I too disliked the title of the Surtur thread. Things like that just bristle with negativity. And it is so unnecessary.

It's not like Marvel isn't trying here. I just saw a movie this weekend that featured a viking space god, a star spangled hero from the 40's, a green goliath, a man in a flying metal suit and a red, green and yellow android Vision, cape and all. A movie that was made with tremendous expense and passion. Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. And there's more to come. Ragnarok. Black Panther. Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for crying out loud. As a comic fan all of this makes me extremely GRATEFUL.

Not everything Marvel does will be universally loved. That's not even possible. Realize that not everyone likes the same things. But somehow every film they have made has overall been received positively by critics and the GA despite delivering the most outlandish of concepts from the comics and bringing them to life while trying to be relevant to modern sensibilities. At times they stuck to their guns despite outside pressures - like Cap's WWII origin - and the MCU is better for it. What they've done is nothing short of amazing IMO.

And I love Thor: The Dark World. Still do. I've found people who loved it at first are now capitulating to the wellspring of negativity and apologizing for liking it but I absolutely will not. It's one of my favorite MCU films. I enjoy being in touch with my inner kid. And I hate people telling me what is funny and what isn't. I loved the humor in TDW more than GOTG. I found it to be more fun than CA:TWS.

So what if it was like mini Avengers? It's not like a lot of us weren't thinking during the Chitauri invasion: Shoot Thor could probably take out most of these guys himself. He doesn't need to be catching purse snatchers or busting crime bosses. That's what Spider-Man and Daredevil are for. I thought it was cool he got to handle a cosmic level threat all by himself. And the invasions from the two films aren't even the same. Totally different end game.

I understand people like to diss the movie. Fine. But that drum has been beaten too many times IMO. It's getting old at this point. What more is there to say? And the way Marvel utilized Thor in AOU and the comments that they've made about how important he is and their plans for his next chapter are enough for me to be very optimistic about where things are going from here.
Love this post.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #407
Fosterson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 493
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
seahammer, I like how you've kindly and respectfully pointed this out. We're all pretty passionate about this stuff and opinions differ of course. However, I too disliked the title of the Surtur thread. Things like that just bristle with negativity. And it is so unnecessary.

It's not like Marvel isn't trying here. I just saw a movie this weekend that featured a viking space god, a star spangled hero from the 40's, a green goliath, a man in a flying metal suit and a red, green and yellow android Vision, cape and all. A movie that was made with tremendous expense and passion. Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. And there's more to come. Ragnarok. Black Panther. Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for crying out loud. As a comic fan all of this makes me extremely GRATEFUL.

Not everything Marvel does will be universally loved. That's not even possible. Realize that not everyone likes the same things. But somehow every film they have made has overall been received positively by critics and the GA despite delivering the most outlandish of concepts from the comics and bringing them to life while trying to be relevant to modern sensibilities. At times they stuck to their guns despite outside pressures - like Cap's WWII origin - and the MCU is better for it. What they've done is nothing short of amazing IMO.

And I love Thor: The Dark World. Still do. I've found people who loved it at first are now capitulating to the wellspring of negativity and apologizing for liking it but I absolutely will not. It's one of my favorite MCU films. I enjoy being in touch with my inner kid. And I hate people telling me what is funny and what isn't. I loved the humor in TDW more than GOTG. I found it to be more fun than CA:TWS.

So what if it was like mini Avengers? It's not like a lot of us weren't thinking during the Chitauri invasion: Shoot Thor could probably take out most of these guys himself. He doesn't need to be catching purse snatchers or busting crime bosses. That's what Spider-Man and Daredevil are for. I thought it was cool he got to handle a cosmic level threat all by himself. And the invasions from the two films aren't even the same. Totally different end game.

I understand people like to diss the movie. Fine. But that drum has been beaten too many times IMO. It's getting old at this point. What more is there to say? And the way Marvel utilized Thor in AOU and the comments that they've made about how important he is and their plans for his next chapter are enough for me to be very optimistic about where things are going from here.
You're quite right about Thor 2. I definitely let the negativity of others influence my opinion far too often. While I'm still not the biggest fan of it, one cannot deny its sheer entertainment value. People often greatly exaggerate Thor 2's faults while ignoring the flaws of the more "universally accepted" MCU films. I'd be the first one to say how much I love TWS and GOTG. However its not like those movies were perfect, either. You're also right about people changing their views on TDW purely because a few vocal haters despise it. I recently watched an Honest Trailer for Any Lee's Hulk film. In it, they slipped in a snide remark about how even "Thor The Dark World looks pretty good compared to this". People now just regularly use TDW as the butt of their jokes without even questioning why. Trust me, if Civil War doesn't receive the same level of acclaim as Winter Soldier, people will start hating on the Cap franchise and the Russo's very quickly, just like they're currently doing with Thor.


Last edited by Fosterson; 05-10-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #408
First Avenger
Side-Kick
 
First Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asgard
Posts: 5,360
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

They are doing it right now with the Avengers franchise.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #409
Fosterson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 493
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
They are doing it right now with the Avengers franchise.
Exactly. In just a matter of weeks, Joss Whedon has gone from being the darling of everyone, to being a despised and reviled monster who (apparently) knows nothing about Marvel Comics.


Last edited by Fosterson; 05-11-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #410
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick
 
Ragnaroknroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,254
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post
Exactly. In just a matter of weeks, Joss Whedon has gone from being the darling of everyone, to being a despised and reviled monster who knows nothing about Marvel Comics.
Yes I agree with both of you completely. I'm actually getting quite sick of so called "fans" at the moment. It's like you can't enjoy anything without it being picked apart to death. Marvel hasn't delivered a single rotten film since their inception as a movie studio and yet that's not good enough.

It's all very "what have you done for me lately". Hopefully it drives Marvel to continue to improve but nobody's perfect. The Internet will probably implode the day they actually deliver a bad film.

As far as the AOU reaction I called it before the movie was even released. I'm not even surprised honestly.

And yes if the Russos falter in any way with Civil War then the current MCU darlings will be ravaged to pieces by fans. Take that to the bank.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #411
Fosterson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 493
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Yes I agree with both of you completely. I'm actually getting quite sick of so called "fans" at the moment. It's like you can't enjoy anything without it being picked apart to death. Marvel hasn't delivered a single rotten film since their inception as a movie studio and yet that's not good enough.

It's all very "what have you done for me lately". Hopefully it drives Marvel to continue to improve but nobody's perfect. The Internet will probably implode the day they actually deliver a bad film.

As far as the AOU reaction I called it before the movie was even released. I'm not even surprised honestly.

And yes if the Russos falter in any way with Civil War then the current MCU darlings will be ravaged to pieces by fans. Take that to the bank.
I have just the slightest notion that those who say that TDW, IM3, AOU etc " suck" don't realise how good we 've got it right now in terms of CBMs.

Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #412
seahammer
Asgardian
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 2,076
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post
I have just the slightest notion that those who say that TDW, IM3, AOU etc " suck" don't realise how good we 've got it right now in terms of CBMs.
This. 100 times, this.

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch or how I would use Beta Ray Bill in the MCU

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #413
Steamteck
Side-Kick
 
Steamteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post
Exactly. In just a matter of weeks, Joss Whedon has gone from being the darling of everyone, to being a despised and reviled monster who (apparently) knows nothing about Marvel Comics.

to me, it says more about his detractors then him.

__________________
It isn't that there are too many idiots in the world, its the lightning is improperly distributed
Mark Twain
Steamteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #414
Fosterson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 493
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
to me, it says more about his detractors then him.
That is exactly my point.

Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #415
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,858
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post
I have just the slightest notion that those who say that TDW, IM3, AOU etc " suck" don't realise how good we 've got it right now in terms of CBMs.
There's two sides to fandom, as with most things. It can be a great force of good where people get together and truly enjoy things, but it also fosters individuals that focus on the negatives and go on and on about that.

People are free to have their opinions but spreading negativity becomes much more egotistical than spreading joy.

Mjölnir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:22 AM   #416
one4smoke
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 243
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
There's two sides to fandom, as with most things. It can be a great force of good where people get together and truly enjoy things, but it also fosters individuals that focus on the negatives and go on and on about that.

People are free to have their opinions but spreading negativity becomes much more egotistical than spreading joy.
Well said.

one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:58 AM   #417
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"
 
Johnny-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4,325
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Thor is the better movie, TDW just felt underwhelming.

Johnny-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #418
The_Manhunter
DCEU & MCU Fan
 
The_Manhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,278
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

I am a big fan of both, but The Dark World is better in almost every area (with the exception of Darcy and her intern).

__________________
Favorite CBMs
1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2) Thor: Ragnarok 3) The Avengers: Age of Ultron 4) Man of Steel 5) Guardians of the Galaxy 6) The Dark Knight 7) Doctor Strange 8) Wonder Woman 9) Captain America: Civil War 10) The Dark Knight Rises 11) The Avengers 12) Thor: The Dark World 13) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 14) Iron Man 15) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 16) X-Men: Days of Future Past 17) Batman Begins 18) Thor 19) Logan 20) Ant-Man
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #419
OcStat
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,128
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Watched this movie today, and still like it quite a bit. Humor in the Marvel movies doesn't bother me, pick any Marvel comic off the shelf and there's humor in it, it isn't just for Spider-Man's quips. Malekith might have more development left in the editing room but upon repeat viewings there's a decent amount of depth and subtlety to the character. The scenes with Their and Loki side by side are great, and the dynamic between the two of them and Odin. The twist ending and the hints dropped in Age of Ultron really have me looking forward to the next installment.

Hard to decide which I prefer, The Dark World or the first. The first introduced to this whole new aspect of the Marvel Universe, but I love getting to see what happens after and watching the characters continue to grow through their adversity.

OcStat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #420
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk
 
Stark Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto The Good
Posts: 1,050
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

I prefer TDW for its setting since I think Thor comes into his own when it is based outside of earth. However as a movie, structurally, Thor 1 was better and the villain was better. I think Thor and Loki were better in part two but overall I give it to TDW by a hair. I think it is underrated and harshly criticized just because it wasn't Thor's Winter Soldier so to speak

__________________
Death is what gives life meaning – To know your days are numbered. Your time is short. - The Ancient One

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #421
Black Adam
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 68
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Thor, easily. Thor: TDK was a little disappointing.

Black Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #422
Salutations
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 53
SHH! Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Thor.

Salutations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #423
NotNickFury
Side-Kick
 
NotNickFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SHIELD offsite
Posts: 3,674
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Thor. The Dark World, in my opinion, isn't a bad movie, but it's not a very memorable one.

NotNickFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #424
scarlet-witch
Stormborn
 
scarlet-witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 2,869
Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

I preferred The Dark World. When I first saw Thor, I thought it felt like it was just Avengers set up and that it didn't really stand on its own feet well. I was let down by it, though when I watched it a 2nd time I liked it a lot more. The Dark World just really worked for me. It was exciting and interesting and didn't have that sequel slump IMO.

__________________

-Assemble-
scarlet-witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.