The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 03-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #401
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Default Re: Things you didn't like in X-Men: Apocalypse (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Maybe they knew what JLaw's feelings were with the franchise but you never know, these people can live in their own bubble sometimes.
Chances are FOX, Bryan and Kinberg know Lawrences feelings better then the fans do so chances are they ain't basing their views on false ideas.

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Manage Your Expectations.)

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 03-24-2017 at 06:02 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #402
kevork89
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
We don't really know why she sided with Apocalypse and hated people so much that she didn't care when a pyramid was raised in her city.

It's in a deleted scene, of course.

Still don't know why that needed to be deleted.

Frankeh is right that this series often builds itself on false promises and teasing things that don't happen. We're always being told 'Well the next film will give more development to Storm/etc'. That seems like an excuse at this point.

The final scenes of these films are rarely followed up or properly developed in the next one.

Which is quite worrying when the last scene of XM:A showed a new X-Men team ready to start training. History tells us that this will likely be ignored in the next movie, and there's also that 10-year gap in the story and actor contract renewals to take into account. Which makes me wonder what 'Supernova' will actually be about and who will be in it.
Yeah that was really annoying. They always do that.

kevork89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #403
Frankeh
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Chances are FOX, Bryan and Kinberg know Lawrences feelings better then the fans do
That's exactly why they reduced the makeup time

Frankeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #404
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankeh View Post
That's exactly why they reduced the makeup time
Well they did it for hoults too so they must be very kind and considerate people.

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 03-25-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #405
TheNewSlayer
Side-Kick

I feel like in X-Men Apocalypse they almost got everything right. They are getting close of understanding the comics after 17 years.

I feel like they got it right about the use of the powers of these following mutants: Beast, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Magneto, Mystique, Quicksilver.

But they still fail to understand the powers of Psylocke and Jean.

Psylocke and Jean both have telepathy and telekinesis.

In this movie since Apocalypse wanted a telepathy he didn't even needed to go after Charles, cause he had Psylocke on his side all along. Unless of course he wanted the most powerful telepath which at the moment was Xavier but since Apocalypse had the power to amplify mutants abilities, he could have amplified Pyslocke telepathy and used her. Unless of course he wanted a male body to transfer his soul and not a female one.

Anyway, Psylocke telekinetic powers were used fine cause she rarely use her telekinesis to lift or move things, instead she uses for weapons. But they leaving her telepathy out of the movie was a bad call. Psylocke could have fought Jean on the astral plane.

Now as for Jean Grey I feel like they didn't show the use of telekinesis right. There were several moments where she could have used her telekinesis to throw opponents away and she didn't. Specially inside the Weapon X facility, they never needed Wolverine to kill everyone for them. Telekinetic Jean could have defeated all the soldiers. Magneto can only control metal but Jean can control everything. She could have opened the door where Mystique and the others were captive. She could have removed the weapons of the soldiers and throw them against the wall. They didn't use her power properly.

I hope that in the next X-Men movie we can see Jean Grey to use her power of telekinesis on the same level of Magneto where he destroy stuff and move a lot of heavy things.

Maybe the excuse for Jean not using her power on the same level as Magneto is that she's still learning to use her telekinesis properly. But that excuse only works for the first movie. I want to see her using her telekinesis on the next movie like it was never done before.

Again, in the next movie I don't want to see Professor X, Magneto and Mystique. They need to go away so that Jean and Cyclops can grow for once in the x-men movies.

I hope that the success of Logan doesn't make Fox go cheap and not wanting to spend money on X-Men 7 for us to see some really good visual effects.

Avengers and Avengers Age of Ultron and Batman vs Superman did 1 Billion on the worldwide box office cause they didn't hold back on the visual effects which is what people want to see in the movies and possibly on 3D.

TheNewSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #406
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

And, just in case anyone was in doubt that Storm and Psylocke got well and truly screwed over, here's who people were talking about on social media...

Also note the sheer excitement (NOT) over J-Law's Mystique.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 03-29-2017 at 05:22 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #407
Frankeh
Side-Kick

I apologize if I'm pooping too much on this movie (but then again this IS the things you didn't like thread), but I saw Power Rangers and Bryan Cranston as Zordon in the prologue looked more like Apocalypse than Isaac's Apocalypse.

Frankeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:40 AM   #408
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Or jean, cyclops, nightcrawler, angel, jubilee, beast, havok at that.

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 03-30-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #409
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Or jean, cyclops, nightcrawler, angel, jubilee, beast, havok at that.
Yes indeed. But the key point is that Storm and Psylocke had more interest than Mystique and all those others you mention - and yet they were underdeveloped in the movie.

X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #410
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

1. Storm should have been born with blue hair and white eyes
2. Cyclops powers should have manifested the old way.
3. Apocalypse was a weak villain
4. No one aging
5. Mystique the hero? my butt
6. Shallow characters with shallow plots
7. The Phoenix was too early
8. The way Apocalypse looked was laughable
9. Storm is all of a sudden a good guy after being a part of how many deaths?
10. A story like Apocalypse needs more time to be told fully. The movie dealt with everything too fast. I hate that studios are trying to jam iconic comic book death matches into 2 hour movies.

Last edited by MydnightPhoenix; 04-26-2017 at 08:10 PM.
MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #411
marvelrobbins
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
And, just in case anyone was in doubt that Storm and Psylocke got well and truly screwed over, here's who people were talking about on social media...

if anyone really believed storm and psylocke were going to be major devolped then they were as naive as people who thought trump would bring any change.

your free to hate apocalypse all you want but anyone who really thinks storm and psylocke were going to be major characters.this film was always going to focus on xavier,magneto,mystique.and i have no love for lawrence's mystique.once they revealed horseman tha should have tipped off people storm,angel,psylocke weren't going to devolped character.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #412
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
if anyone really believed storm and psylocke were going to be major devolped then they were as naive as people who thought trump would bring any change.

your free to hate apocalypse all you want but anyone who really thinks storm and psylocke were going to be major characters.this film was always going to focus on xavier,magneto,mystique.and i have no love for lawrence's mystique.once they revealed horseman tha should have tipped off people storm,angel,psylocke weren't going to devolped character.
So you're saying people would be dumb to think Fox is going to deliver on its most anticipated characters?

Because I agree. It sucks.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #413
marvelrobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
So you're saying people would be dumb to think Fox is going to deliver on its most anticipated characters?

Because I agree. It sucks.
some i feel weren't paying attention from last year leading up to apocalypse release.there were very open to fact this was more of a first class sequel than days of future past.that focus was going to be on xavier,magneto,and mystique.
minute it was confirmed who the horseman were it shouldn't come as surprise storm,angel,and psylocke would get very little devolpment.all the culmination of 6 films talks made it clear as day were the focus would be.

your free to hate apocalypse as much as i hate iron man 3 but let's not rewrite history and pretend they were promsing characters like storm and psylocke
were going to get lot of devolpment.

dark pheonix may end being similar to apocalypse if they get mcavoy,fassbender,and lawrence back.only this time it will be worse with kinberg left to his own devices.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #414
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
some i feel weren't paying attention from last year leading up to apocalypse release.there were very open to fact this was more of a first class sequel than days of future past.that focus was going to be on xavier,magneto,and mystique.
minute it was confirmed who the horseman were it shouldn't come as surprise storm,angel,and psylocke would get very little devolpment.all the culmination of 6 films talks made it clear as day were the focus would be.

your free to hate apocalypse as much as i hate iron man 3 but let's not rewrite history and pretend they were promsing characters like storm and psylocke
were going to get lot of devolpment.

dark pheonix may end being similar to apocalypse if they get mcavoy,fassbender,and lawrence back.only this time it will be worse with kinberg left to his own devices.
No disagrement here, and no history rewrite either. Just putting an emphasis on the troubling lack of correlation between the characters audiences care about and the ones who get the screen time.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #415
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Rewatching this now for the first time since theaters maybe.

There's no reason for this ten year age gap, the cast looks the same as they did back in the 60's so what was the point?

In case you didn't immediately figure out what would happen to Magneto's family upon merely learning of their existence, the first scene between him and his daughter just hits you over the head with it.

I think the first thing Mystique says is "I'm a nobody. I'm not a hero. Let's go." Storm sees Apocalypse glance over at the poster of Mystique and immediately says "That's my hero. I want to be just like her." Here's some free advice Kinberg: give your screenplays a once over and make sure nothing like that slips through.

I don't know what's more difficult: watching an actor as talented as MaCavoy bumble like a smitten schoolboy around Moira, or watching an actor as talented as Isaac try to make this character with that make-up work.

Lawrence reads every line like she's hungover at the table read.

The pacing is pretty atrocious. Every scene feels neutered and watered down, which does no favors to a movie full of wooden characters.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 06-11-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #416
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Bad movie is bad. Has only worse with time.

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #417
Seanyg
New User - Level 0

Ok this has been annoying me for SO long. But at the end of dofp we see everyone in the mansion absolutely fine and all alive. Then the following movie is set in the 80's. But if we're expected to think that apocalypse might win then how is the world still turning and everyone is still alive when the end of dofp is set. Same goes for the dark phoenix film because that's set in the 90's

Seanyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #418
optimus2861
Side-Kick

Easy.. that there was effectively no character work in this film. At all. It's entirely plot and powers driven, no twists, no turns, almost entirely predictable throughout. It's full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, a script not much better than a sorta-decent fanfic. If this story had been told in a 2, 4 part comic book, nobody would think twice about it afterward. A feature film deserves a much, much better script than this one got.

My nickel's worth. I only just saw the film recently after having passed on it for a long period.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #419
sycamore

Everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room: Sophie Turner is one heck of an annoying actress. Unfortunately, with the success of Game of Thrones, X-Men Apocalypse is only the the tip of the iceberg: we are going to be seeing a lot more of her.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #420
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The whole Alkali Lake sequence was terrible, made no sense, and was relatively pointless.

No one has aged at all in 20 years. Beast still looks like he's 23.

Basically ignored the ending of where they left everyone in Days of Future Past.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #421
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room: Sophie Turner is one heck of an annoying actress. Unfortunately, with the success of Game of Thrones, X-Men Apocalypse is only the the tip of the iceberg: we are going to be seeing a lot more of her.
Yeah nothing about her Jean Grey especially impressed me. They didn't do much in terms of developing her character.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #422
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
The whole Alkali Lake sequence was terrible, made no sense, and was relatively pointless.
Yes it was.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #423
DawnWarrior
Questioner of Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Easy.. that there was effectively no character work in this film. At all. It's entirely plot and powers driven, no twists, no turns, almost entirely predictable throughout. It's full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, a script not much better than a sorta-decent fanfic. If this story had been told in a 2, 4 part comic book, nobody would think twice about it afterward. A feature film deserves a much, much better script than this one got.
Quite right. Only the four main characters (Charles, Erik, Raven, and Hank) get any real development across these prequel films, and they've already been done to death, so they're material has grown stale while the rest of the ensemble is largely ignored.

It hit me recently that Mystique doesn't need to be in this movie at all. You could do the whole thing without her. But because she's played by JLaw, she gets a ton of screen time and even gets to lead the team, which she never did in the comics.

VIDEO: Just how old are the X-Men in the movies? A Mathematical Analysis
DawnWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote