The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #951
BigThor
God of Thunder

Default Re: The Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy: The Gamora Thread

Gamora was the "Thor" of this film, in this since that she's not a character that people would consider a show stealer.

They both were more or less the most straight forwards characters on the team, there to do their job and keep the nonesense to a minimum.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=542683

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541747
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #952
Utracia
Newbie First Class

Considering she was supposed to be this incredible fighters, she was rather tame compared to her reputation. Would have liked to see her be more of a badass but really this is just a trifle complaint to her amazing character and this fantastic movie.

Utracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #953
Majik1387
Banned User

I honestly really only got the badass vibe from her when she tried stealing the sphere from Quill.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #954
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

I think they tried to tune down the power level of both Gamora and Drax in this movie.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #955
Utracia
Newbie First Class

I've never read the source material but my understanding is that Quill is supposed to be this superb fighter and genius tactician as well. If so that was certainly toned down as well.

Utracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #956
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I honestly really only got the badass vibe from her when she tried stealing the sphere from Quill.
She was badass in the prison escape scene too.

ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #957
terry78
I don't die, fool

Hell Drax is supposed to be on par with Hulk regarding strength. Him, Groot and Gamora are supposes to have superhuman strength but I guess we won't see it till later.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #958
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Note that she did the best against Groot of anyone who fought him(?), by far.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #959
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

That's true. And as someone noted she seemed pretty unstoppable in that action scene on Xandar early in the film.

I think seeing Gamora (the one woman on the team) being saved by the leading man is what turns a lot of people off. Including me. At least the context of the situation showed Gamora being determined and brave.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #960
Guard82
Side-Kick

Yeah, Gamora was pretty awesome in the fight scene on Xandar, and she was quite formidable during the prison breakout too. And I liked that she was trying to move away from her life as an assassin and do what was right.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #961
ThePowerCosmic
"No."

I hope to see some flashbacks into Gamora's dark past as an assassin for Thanos in GOTG 2.

ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #962
JLMHodge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I hope to see some flashbacks into Gamora's dark past as an assassin for Thanos in GOTG 2.
You should read the prelude comic to the film. That story shows more or less how bad she was and her relationship with Nebula prior to the film.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #963
Spider-Ranger
aka Goran

This thing better be censored... for obvious reasons

Spider-Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #964
Bren
Forevernoob

I know she's supposed to be a bad ass killer assassin..... But the way she shook her head when Quill tried to get her to dance with Ronan standing there - that killed me, she was so cute.
Reminded me of when my Wife asks me to dance before I'm drunk. No way hahaha

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #965
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Man, I'm gonna be bankrupted with all these Hot Toys. I've never bought any before because they're so expensive, but when I saw the Rocket/Groot two-pack I thought, "Right, this will be my first and only Hot Toys purchase." Then I saw the Star-Lord one and thought, "Okay, I'll somehow find a way to buy that too." Now Gamora...

Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #966
Lobo
Snow Wifey

You'll have to complete the Guardians set, then you can be done.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #967
terry78
I don't die, fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerSpider-Boy View Post

I thought you were talking about the fact that it's probably anatomically correct.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #968
gildedmuse
Snark Is A Superpower

Man, this was a really good moive which just makes me disappointed with how Gamora was written. Why is the deadliest woman in the galaxy so shaken by a couple of prison thugs? Why is it her major scenes are being almost seduced by or saved by Star Lord? Why does she even care about Xander? I mean, obviously she cares because she is a good guy, and the good guys care when a whole planet of people is about to be blown up but is that really enough? I just felt her motivation was weak, and it was sort of a cop out to have her heel turn take place entire before the film.

I mean, suppose that as a young child you are orphaned and then raised by a homicidal maniac that teaches you only the skill set you need to ruthlessly exterminate all in his path. Now add in the prequel comics were we see that Gamora is pretty solidly on team "do whatever you have to and screw over anyone in your way." She spends her entire life being raised as a machine meant only to kill but suddenly, oh no, destroying THIS PARTICULAR planet is just too much for her sensibilities. It's just difficult for me to buy that without seeing any effort put in to her sudden change, and since it all takes place off screen we don't really get any insight into it. Yes, her whole planet and family was murdered by Thanos so she doesn't want to see it happen again, but we're also suppose to believe that she has spent decades doing Thanos's bidding which has lead to the death of most of the Kyln inmate's family. That's a pretty large body count to get to before suddenly seeing that you were in the wrong.

I just feel like there could have been a scene were, say, she has a more personal connection with a Xanderian child. Put a human (alien) face on what carnage is about to come down on these people, let us see that moment where Gamora thinks to herself that if she allows Xander to be destroyed, she is essentially condemning some child to her and Nebula's fate and let us see what that means. (Although preferably better written than laid out here.) Then when you have a Gamora who is more reluctant to be ruthless (which is what I suppose they were going for in the Kyln scenes) it makes sense.

It's kind of like Black Widow in IM2, where you know there is an awesome character there and they are simply not being utilized to their full advantage. I mean, I do think Gamora showed more personality than Widow in her premiere, but I also think she could be improved. I feel like - other than Groot - her motivation was the weakest, but Groot sort of fills the role of "team pet" so you don't expect the same depth. It works with Groot, but not with Gamora.

gildedmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #969
Majik1387
Banned User

While I agree her character wasn't written as well as the others, I didn't see the "but suddenly, oh no, destroying THIS PARTICULAR planet is just too much for her sensibilities."
I saw it as she said at the Collector's; she can't trust anyone with a weapon like that, especially if it's for known tyrants. I never saw her being gung ho on it just because of Xander.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #970
The Endless
WE are Groot

I liked Gamora. It was interesting that she was the moral center and straight "man" for the team. Saldana did well. I really got the sense that she was ashamed of her past and her reputation.

She's definitely not the flashiest of the Guardians, so it's understandable that she gets overlooked.

Although she did have some cool moments.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #971
coluanprime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I liked Gamora. It was interesting that she was the moral center and straight "man" for the team. Saldana did well. I really got the sense that she was ashamed of her past and her reputation.

She's definitely not the flashiest of the Guardians, so it's understandable that she gets overlooked.

Although she did have some cool moments.
Agreed, in my opinion Gamora was the unsung breakout character for me.

coluanprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #972
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerSpider-Boy View Post

What is that thing you've circled?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #973
Majik1387
Banned User

My guess is it's a belt accessory that semi-looks like a fist giving the finger.