The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you think the Republican Party needs to evolve and become more inclusive?
Yes 48 84.21%
No 6 10.53%
I'm not sure 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #451
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Eh, that's nothing, the Republicans have Todd Akin and Paul "evolution is a lie from the pit of hell" Broun on the Science Committee in the House.

But that's what you get when so many people view a politician's views on science as irrelevant. Reap what you sow and all that.
This is why it matters what a politician thinks about science.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #452
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The Republican...theocratic (for lack of a better term) wing, is quite powerful and determined.

To quote Congressman Broun, "That’s what the Bible says. And what I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually. How to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason, as your congressman, I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

Good luck getting through that.

I should also mention Republican congressman Ralph Hall who has said that we shouldn't take action concerning climate change, because, (and I quote) "I don’t think we can control what God controls."

Naturally, Mr. Hall is the chairman of the House science committee.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #453
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

Quote:
The Republican...theocratic (for lack of a better term) wing, is quite powerful and determined.

To quote Congressman Broun, "That’s what the Bible says. And what I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually. How to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason, as your congressman, I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

I should also mention Republican congressman Ralph Hall who has said that we shouldn't take action concerning climate change, because, (and I quote) "I don’t think we can control what God controls."

Hearing things like that makes me crazy.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #454
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:

Wow. lol.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #455
Doctor Evo
Banned User

Quote:
Eh, that's nothing, the Republicans have Todd Akin and Paul "evolution is a lie from the pit of hell" Broun on the Science Committee in the House.

But that's what you get when so many people view a politician's views on science as irrelevant. Reap what you sow and all that.
I almost had an aneurysm when I read Broun's comments.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #456
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

So, if someone asks you why they should care about a politicians views on science... now you know why they should.

Unless you like having your scientific decisions being made by people who think the Earth is 9,000 years old, and that Charles Darwin is demon spawn.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #457
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:

-weeps-

I can't take it anymore.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #458
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:

Im willing to bet these people rant and deride sharia law yet have no idea they are promoting the same thing.

This is why PhD's in a scientific field should be required to be in the science committee. Real PhDs. Not one from those degree factories.

Honestly as long as the republican party is associated with people like this and things of this nature I wont vote for them.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-20-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #459
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Actually, the Republican party isn't associated with people like this... it is people like this.

Moderate Republicans are an endangered species.

Just look at Romney. He had to take Rick Santorum's positions just to be eligible to be their candidate.

Senator Richard Luger lost his job to Richard Moudrock (who then lost). Olympia Snowe is retiring...

Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #460
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

Ok guys, enough religion mocking. Let's keep the topic on the Republicans.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #461
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

I don't think being religious automatically means you're ignorant of science or other religions. I have a devoutly Christian coworker who holds a Bible study with her kids every morning before they go to school. But the thing is, she believes in separation of church and state (doesn't think there's ENOUGH separation in the US right now), and acknowledges that Christianity is not the only religion out there. Hence why we need separation of church and state.

If you're ignorant of other religions and science, that just means you're ignorant. If you're a politician, you're willfully ignorant, which is even worse.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #462
Doctor Evo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Ok guys, enough religion mocking. Let's keep the topic on the Republicans.
The topic was on Republicans.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #463
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
The topic was on Republicans.
There is a difference between debate on a Party's positions and mocking them and posting mocking videos.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #464
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
There is a difference between debate on a Party's positions and mocking them and posting mocking videos.
Not sure if you are including me, but for the record i wasn't mocking them. Their stance on this is a legitimate and pressing concern of mine and this being a thread regarding the party i thought it was within the guidlines. This is a big problem within the party so I would think it is very relevant to discussions about the party. If you weren't referring to me then ignore this post.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #465
Doctor Evo
Banned User

http://news.yahoo.com/creationism-co...-politics.html

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #466
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
"It's important beyond whether somebody has a direct impact on evolution [education] because it's an indicator of the way they look at the world and who they accept as reliable guides and authorities on subjects," said Dr. Eric Meikle, an anthropologist and director of education at the National Center for Science Education. "It's very important in terms of that."
God i love logic.

Im gonna post the article if thats ok.

Creationism Controversies The Norm Among Potential Republican 2016 Contenders
Quote:
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) raised eyebrows Monday when he told GQ he couldn't answer a question about the age of the earth because "I'm not a scientist, man."

Having a top prospect for the 2016 presidential nomination say the age of the planet is "one of the great mysteries" comes at an awkward time for a party attempting to rebuild from its Nov. 6 drubbing at the hands of voters turned off by the GOP's embrace of social conservatives. But Rubio is hardly alone among potential Republican presidential contenders. Other big names for 2016 have weighed in publicly at various times over the years to position themselves as supportive of creationism proponents.

To science education advocates, these public statements fall into two categories: craven political panders to the conservative base and expressions of actual doubt in basic scientific principles. Both are disconcerting, the advocates say, and whether or not a president stands up for science has a broader impact than the education battles where creationism most often comes up.

"It's important beyond whether somebody has a direct impact on evolution [education] because it's an indicator of the way they look at the world and who they accept as reliable guides and authorities on subjects," said Dr. Eric Meikle, an anthropologist and director of education at the National Center for Science Education. "It's very important in terms of that."

For the record, Mitt Romney actually accepted the science of evolution and opposed the teaching of so-called "intelligent design" theory in science classrooms when he was governor of Massachusetts. That puts him to the left of some of the men potentially vying to be his replacement on the ticket in four years.

A look at some big names in 2016 Republican presidential speculation and what they've said about evolution or creationism:

Gov. Chris Christie (NJ)

The oft-mentioned 2016 contender -- and self-described straight shooter -- has declined open up about his thoughts on evolution. "That's none of your business," Christie said in May 2011 when asked where he comes down on evolution versus creationism.

At a town hall a week earlier, Christie said that he believed the decision to teach creationism alongside evolution should be made at the local level. A week later, Christie clarified that this position was not an endorsement of teaching creationism. "That is not to say, as it was interpreted by some that I was advocating for the teaching of creationism," Christie said. "Folks never really have a hard time figuring out when I'm advocating for something."

The Wall Street Journal story at the time pointed out that Christie's non-answer on creationism is a departure from the governor's promise not to use an "escape hatch" on the issues:

For a politician who has built a national reputation for straight talk and not shying from a fight, Christie's demurral on creationism stands out. In the past, he has said people need not wonder where he stands on an issue.

"When you guys ask me questions, I'm going to answer them directly, straightly, bluntly, and nobody in New Jersey is going to have to wonder where I am on an issue," he said a year ago, adding: "I think they've had enough of politicians who make them wonder ... They make them wonder so they got an escape hatch. So they have an escape hatch. And I'm not interested in an escape hatch."

Gov. Bobby Jindal (LA)

Jindal, a committed social conservative, has emerged lately as the potential 2016er most ready to criticize the rhetoric of the last Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney. But Jindal is no moderate, especially when it comes to evolution.

In 2008, Jindal signed into law the "Louisiana Science Education Act," a law that according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Annette Sisco, "cleared the way for creationism to be taught in biology class." That led groups like the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology and the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology to boycott the state as host for national conferences.

Jindal created a new firestorm around the evolution issue this summer when schools with bible-based curriculums ended up on the list of institutions included in the state's expanded voucher program. Under Jindal's education reforms, thousands of Louisiana students can use taxpayer dollars to attend schools that, as Lance Hill, executive director of Southern Institute for Education and Research, explained to Reuters in July, "use an evangelical curriculum that teaches that humans walked the earth 6,000 years ago with dinosaurs."

A biology major at Brown and a Rhodes Scholar, Jindal has endorsed the idea that local school boards should determine whether creationism or intelligent design should be taught in schools. "I don't want any facts or theories or explanations to be withheld from [my children] because of political correctness," Jindal said during a 2008 appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Sen. Rand Paul (KY)

Paul is expected to take up his father's libertarian-bent presidential crusade next cycle. And like his dad, Paul has often mixed a healthy dose of social conservative outreach in with his fiscal libertarian purity.

Almost exactly like Rubio did this week, Paul demurred on the question of the earth's age back in 2010. Taking questions from a meeting of the Christian Homeschool Educators of Kentucky during his Senate campaign, Paul declined to answer the question "how old is the world?"

"I forgot to say I was only taking easy questions," Paul said. "I'm gonna pass on the age of the earth. I think, ah, I'm just gonna have to pass on that one."

Sen. Marco Rubio (FL)

Rubio's comments to GQ were unsurprising when compared with Rubio's rhetoric on creationism in the past. Facing creationist protests, the Florida Board of Education wrestled with curriculum standards in 2008 that accepted evolution as scientifically sound. Eventually, the board ruled that evolution should be taught, but only as a "scientific theory." It was a compromise decision that drew criticism from the scientific community who said it underplayed evolution's acceptance as the basis for biological science and criticism from creationists worried that it didn't go far enough to allow their theories about the creation of the world into the mix. Then-state House Speaker Rubio was on the side of creationists.

After the state Board of Education ruling, Rubio told the Florida Baptist Witness that he'd support legislation modeled on a proposal allowing teachers who so desired "to engage students in a critical analysis" of evolution. His reasoning, from the Witness:

The "crux" of the disagreement, according to Rubio, is "whether what a parent teaches their children at home should be mocked and derided and undone at the public school level. It goes to the fundamental core of who is ultimately, primarily responsible for the upbringing of children. Is it your public education system or is it your parents?"

Rubio added, "And for me, personally, I don't want a school system that teaches kids that what they're learning at home is wrong."

Rubio then "made a comparison to the strategy employed by the Communist Party in Cuba where schools encouraged children to turn in parents who criticized Fidel Castro."

"'Of course, I'm not equating the evolution people with Fidel Castro,' he quickly added," according to the Witness.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-20-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #467
Marx
Pixelated

Quote:

...there are no words.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #468
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

After last night's concession by West, the House will be 234 Republicans and 201 Democrats.

Still could change based on the results of the last 2 still going races, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #469
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Im willing to bet these people rant and deride sharia law yet have no idea they are promoting the same thing.

This is why PhD's in a scientific field should be required to be in the science committee. Real PhDs. Not one from those degree factories.

Honestly as long as the republican party is associated with people like this and things of this nature I wont vote for them.
Agreed, this is exactly why I cannot in good conscience vote for the Republican party, especially when I live in Tennessee, and Tennessee Republicans are all about representing "Tennessee Values" which is basically anti-gay, anti-Muslim, imposing Biblican morality on all of society because we're "Christians before Americans"...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #470
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Agreed, this is exactly why I cannot in good conscience vote for the Republican party, especially when I live in Tennessee, and Tennessee Republicans are all about representing "Tennessee Values" which is basically anti-gay, anti-Muslim, imposing Biblican morality on all of society because we're "Christians before Americans"...
Hats off to you, Sir. I live in a fairly Republican county but they're Northern Republicans. I think Southern Republicans (with all due respect to the Southern posters here) are quite a bit more hardcore.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #471
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hats off to you, Sir. I live in a fairly Republican county but they're Northern Republicans. I think Southern Republicans (with all due respect to the Southern posters here) are quite a bit more hardcore.
Southern republicans, at least those of an older generation, in and around my state tend to be stubborn and stuck in their ways. And generally those ways are no longer socially acceptable in a modern progressive society.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #472
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode

Every time someone says "Progressive" I see some creepy religious universalist Quaker lunatic.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #473
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
Every time someone says "Progressive" I see some creepy religious universalist Quaker lunatic.
Lol i just mean moving with socially acceptable standards and morals and adhering to the known scientific facts of the time. You know, the opposite of antiquated ass backwardness.

Tho i would like to know why you connect progressiveness with quakers who unless memory fails are not considered progressive.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-20-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #474
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
After last night's concession by West, the House will be 234 Republicans and 201 Democrats.

Still could change based on the results of the last 2 still going races, though.
Actually it's 234 R 200 D with 1 seat left that most likely will go D. There actually is one more seat up for grabs but it's 2 Republicans going against eachother(which I counted as part of the 234 since it will be R either way)

Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #475
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Agreed. You give me a socially liberal, fiscally conservative candidate, and I can probably get behind that.

Although I do think that I'm even fairly fiscally liberal as well, so I don't know lol. I'm not too in the know when it comes to economic issues. I know my stance on certain areas, but a lot of stuff I have to admit being uneducated on.

Closed Thread