Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #401
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Yeah you may be right. I just think it's more of a "Global Avengers" thing due to Hickman's whole thing in the book about the Avengers getting "bigger", Earth being the "first of many Avengers Worlds", and the solicitation for Avengers 24 says Iron Man and Cap "plan for the next version of the Avengers".
That's certainly a plausible theory, but I think that's going to end up happening within the main Avengers book. IMO, a global S.H.I.E.L.D. book works with what Hickman has been doing in Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. (both books were very global centric) and what Spencer has been doing with Secret Avengers (dealing with changes within S.H.I.E.L.D.).

Plus S.H.I.E.L.D. is supposed to be a global organization after all as opposed to it being an American organization like the way Marvel has been portraying it since Civil War.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #402
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

Hmm interesting comment from Slott, here's hoping for some good news about Kaine!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #403
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
Hmm interesting comment from Slott, here's hoping for some good news about Kaine!
I had this idea pop up in my head that with the end of the Superior Spider-Man era, maybe we'll see something like a Spider-Man Inc. with various people like Kaine, Flash Thompson, Miguel O'Hara, and Miles Morales swinging around under the Spider-Man mantle.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #404
mwmillett
Side-Kick

I really find the getting bigger thing such rehash. I mean 50 state initiate? Avengers are already world police? How much bigger can they get, the X-Men and X-Force are outlaws, Wolverine is a race traitor, I know my bias is showing, but it really seems Marvel has turned their back on the X-verse and really making it an "Avengers World"

Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #405
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

How is Wolverine a race traitor?

Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #406
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmillett View Post
I really find the getting bigger thing such rehash. I mean 50 state initiate? Avengers are already world police? How much bigger can they get, the X-Men and X-Force are outlaws, Wolverine is a race traitor, I know my bias is showing, but it really seems Marvel has turned their back on the X-verse and really making it an "Avengers World"
I support an Avengers World. It should be this way until Fox gives the X-Men movie rights back to Marvel.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #407
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmillett View Post
the X-Men were the biggest thing ever for like 20 years, they aren't the only characters in the Marvel U.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #408
Anubis
Sup?

F**k the X-Men.

H.E.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #409
mwmillett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
How is Wolverine a race traitor?
When you attack your own people in their own home, in their own nation on behalf of a hostile government that makes you a race traitor. You can disagree with scott all you want, but when it comes down to it, you side with family. Sadly, Wolverine proved is loyalty was to himself and his jealousy of scott's relationship with jean.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #410
mwmillett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerPA View Post
I support an Avengers World. It should be this way until Fox gives the X-Men movie rights back to Marvel.
That is kind of a valid point, but Marvel really needs to get those rights back, same with spider man. However just because you sold off the rights doesn't mean you completely ignore continuity and allow absurd situations like those that occurred during AvX, do any of us really think the fight would have gone the way it did? They allow tony start to use the full extent of his powers, yet namor, storm, magento, emma, magic, and colossus are all underwritten to allow the avengers agenda to move forward.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #411
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I just realized War may be Superior Spider-Man Team-Up related.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #412
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
F**k the X-Men.
Die mortal.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #413
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

its ridiculous that so many X- Fans don't support Xavier's dream of cohabitation between humans and mutants.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #414
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Some of them are just continuations from current ongoings and at least two of them are related to an event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin Parker View Post
yeah they've cancels a few titles anyway so it sort of evens out
and thats part of the problem. They keep cancelling and relaunching books and it has gotten ridiculous. They get a sales boost with the new number 1s and then the sales dont sustain so they cancel and relaunch with another new number 1 like a year or 2 later. Its excessive and this Marvel NOW 2.0 speaks volumes to this problem

Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #415
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

they aren't relaunching old titles though, Avengers is going to have issue 24 but with a number 1 to bring in new readers. They aren't renumbering. I think its great they are launching new titles they have so many characters who are just not being used.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #416
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
and thats part of the problem. They keep cancelling and relaunching books and it has gotten ridiculous. They get a sales boost with the new number 1s and then the sales dont sustain so they cancel and relaunch with another new number 1 like a year or 2 later. Its excessive and this Marvel NOW 2.0 speaks volumes to this problem
Is it a problem that was created by Marvel?

Or the sheer lack of fans that could buy books?

Listen... I hate these relaunches as much as the next guy, but in this day and age where the print industry is considered all but dead, comic book companies have to devise ways to keep sales numbers high... and if that short term answer is relaunches and reboots, then that's what the industry is going to do.

It sucks. I hate it. But you can't fault the companies for doing it.

Marvel had a policy to CANCEL a book that would sell less than 100k... nowadays, that's a #1 seller... and THAT was NOT a long time ago.

I'm not sure what the answers are... cheaper comics, maybe going back to newsprint, heavily-involved programs to reintroduce comics to kids via sick kids hospitals/schools, etc... but that's a REAL change that will not happen overnight.

So until there's a revolution with comic book reading/print industry, then you better get used to these relaunches.

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype.
It's like rock'n roll never happened."
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #417
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

Reducing the prices would be a start for me. Heck, I'd welcome the return of newsprint, I miss that smell hah (I'm weird). I feel that just looking at how much multiple subscriptions cost scares away new fans who want to get into the books.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #418
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
its ridiculous that so many X- Fans don't support Xavier's dream of cohabitation between humans and mutants.
Um what? I doubt that at all. I've always been for having them move forward to get past all the racism related stuff and having them merge more into the Marvel U. It was bigwigs like Quesada at Marvel who feel they have to force them back into these boxes that they were in way back when they first started as heroes in order to tell proper stories. Why be progressive and forward thinking when you can just use what they've done in the past. That's the reasoning why they do crap like House of M/Decimation and One More Day.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #419
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
Reducing the prices would be a start for me. Heck, I'd welcome the return of newsprint, I miss that smell hah (I'm weird). I feel that just looking at how much multiple subscriptions cost scares away new fans who want to get into the books.
I don't miss the newsprint but cheaper would be nice. In the past price didn't matter that much, but now a four bucks a pop a book has to really draw me in before I will pick up a new title. If anything, all these relaunches have only encouraged me to drop titles that didn't include my top fave characters.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #420
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
they aren't relaunching old titles though, Avengers is going to have issue 24 but with a number 1 to bring in new readers. They aren't renumbering. I think its great they are launching new titles they have so many characters who are just not being used.
You honestly think we aren't seeing relaunches here? What do you think She-Hulk is? X-factor (heavily implied)? Isnt Captain/Ms Marvel getting one too? When these titles are revealed, there well be several #1s to old titles we have seen in the past. That's a guarantee

Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #421
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Um what? I doubt that at all. I've always been for having them move forward to get past all the racism related stuff and having them merge more into the Marvel U. It was bigwigs like Quesada at Marvel who feel they have to force them back into these boxes that they were in way back when they first started as heroes in order to tell proper stories. Why be progressive and forward thinking when you can just use what they've done in the past. That's the reasoning why they do crap like House of M/Decimation and One More Day.
I mean all the people that I know are like against Xavier's belief and support Magneto. I guess I don't mean everyone but there is way more people than I thought who are for Magnetos belief.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #422
mwmillett
Side-Kick

Quote:
I mean all the people that I know are like against Xavier's belief and support Magneto. I guess I don't mean everyone but there is way more people than I thought who are for Magnetos belief.
You are right, I along with most of the people I grew up with who were into comics were just waiting for Xavier to wake up, Magneto had been right all along and Xavier was just a joke who couldn't bring himself to stand up for his people.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #423
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

Is Avengers Assemble really getting axed? I have seen this rumour around and was hoping it was just that. That's my favourite team book right now because I prefer the focus on the characters and their relationships over the big, plot heavy titles, but it kept getting derailed by events and crossovers and was never really given a chance to gain it's footing and stand on its own. I love that KSD kept a small cast of some of my favourite characters and how well she fleshed them out. Sad news indeed.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #424
roach
I am the night

Quote:
To be fair Marvel hasn't really pushed Xavier's dream. Once Cyclops kicked Xavier out and started acting more like Magneto than Magneto.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #425
mwmillett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
To be fair Marvel hasn't really pushed Xavier's dream. Once Cyclops kicked Xavier out and started acting more like Magneto than Magneto.
Xaviers dream, is just that a dream. The simple fact that mutants are discriminated against when thousands of non mutants display similar powers and they weren't discriminated against it proved that in the MU it wasn't powers that were scarey, it was simply the perception of them being the next step in human evolution, that fear would never go away with time. You do not see your replacement and think oh, yeah we will just coexist, that's not how nature works. Mutants will eventually be the dominant species, humans will never accept this, there will be war, and the mutants are the ones who deserve to win. Whether it takes 10 years, 100, years or 1000, there are new mutants being born now, Cyclops efforts paid off, and eventually, homo Superior will own the planet, if Xavier got his wish, humans would finish the job the started at Genosha, it is utter stupidity to risk the life of your race on the compassion of your inferiors. Cyclops has learned this, Xavier was a chump.

Closed Thread