The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #776
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 9

I've been avoiding taking the plunge because I was worried about spending a whole bunch of cash re-buying a lot of films, but seeing these new TDKT transfers, even with their downconversion flaws, is really convincing me on the potential of the format and how it really may be worth it for some movies.

I do wish they were putting out remastered Blu-rays for the trilogy to hold me over until I'm set up. Begins is getting one apparently but not the other 2. Oh well, gives me motivation to get my setup going haha. I may not be able to look at the TDK Blu-ray again...

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 12-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #777
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I bought a cheap 4K HDMI chord to connect my 4K player to my TV. Do I need to get an expensive? Would that make any difference?
I have a cheap one and it works fine.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
Old 12-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #778
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I've been avoiding taking the plunge because I was worried about spending a whole bunch of cash re-buying a lot of films, but seeing these new TDKT transfers, even with their downconversion flaws, is really convincing me on the potential of the format and how it really may be worth it for some movies.

I do wish they were putting out remastered Blu-rays for the trilogy to hold me over until I'm set up. Begins is getting one apparently but not the other 2. Oh well, gives me motivation to get my setup going haha. I may not be able to look at the TDK Blu-ray again...
I got myself a setup for $1000 (TV + player) this Summer and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Not having truest blacks or dolby vision advantage is perhaps a let-down, but not for $3000 price. Deadpool, Leon, Dracula, Ex Machina, Blade Runner look fantastic and I can't freaking wait for Nolan and Harry Potter movies to arrive.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #779
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:

Honestly, since I upgraded to a 4K Smart TV, I haven't really double-dipped or re-purchased a lot of films I've previously owned, aside from a select few. But it's still great for the select amount of new movies that I've wanted to add to my collection or watch, as well as for something like Netflix, since pretty much all of Netflix original content is now streamed in 4K UHD. For the extremely easy access to apps and streaming services as well as the picture quality, buying a 4K Smart TV is a no-brainer for me -- putting aside the need/desire to rebuild our film collections with UHD Blu-rays. I can also obviously still watch any and all of the DVDs/Blu-rays I previously owned, so "taking the plunge" is not nearly as disruptive or costly as it once was to make the jump from VHS to DVD.

Aside from picking up some UHD Blu-rays, I've became a pretty avid user of VUDU (which came loaded on my TV along with my PS4). It's a pay-as-you-go service with no monthly fees that allows you to rent or buy movies and TV series. New 4K UHD and regular HD movies often pop up on VUDU as "exclusives" a few weeks prior to DVD/Blu-ray releases. I've built up a small collection of films I own on VUDU, which I can now take with me anywhere I go and watch on any TV or device.

VUDU is also basically Blockbuster on steroids. You can find virtually any film or TV series on there from any time period, as opposed to other streaming services which have a smaller selection that rotates and varies from time to time, or VOD services that primarily only have recent releases available. VUDU allows you to search by genre but also by dozens of sub-genres, which is cool ("Thrillers" separates into categories like Detective/Police Thrillers, Murder & Mystery, Psychological Thrillers, Classics, Techno-thrillers, etc). You can also filter by release date, most watched, top picks, and even by Rotten Tomatoes scores.

Since it's a pay-as-you-buy/rent service, it makes for a nice supplement to other streaming services like Netflix/Hulu and to making physical Blu-ray purchases for your more "important" movies to own. It also probably has the best and biggest collection of 4K movies in one place with easy access.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #780
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

I see what they're doing. They're making everything too bright. They need to knock it off with that crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
New

Old

New

Old

Old 12-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #781
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Man View Post
I see what they're doing. They're making everything too bright. They need to knock it off with that crap.
I've explained this like 5x already lol, but I'm going to keep repeating it for anybody wandering into this thread.

What you're seeing is the result of the iTunes HDR to SDR conversion. This isn't the true 4k thing. HDR means the the highlights are going to be brighter and the darks are going to be darker. So in a down-converted 1080 version, the extreme bright shots seem like they've just been "brightened" altogether (giving it a washed out look), but it's not the case.

In short, it will look the way it's meant to look, and closer to what it looked like in the theater, with a proper 4k setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
Honestly, since I upgraded to a 4K Smart TV, I haven't really double-dipped or re-purchased a lot of films I've previously owned, aside from a select few. But it's still great for the select amount of new movies that I've wanted to add to my collection or watch, as well as for something like Netflix, since pretty much all of Netflix original content is now streamed in 4K UHD. For the extremely easy access to apps and streaming services as well as the picture quality, buying a 4K Smart TV is a no-brainer for me -- putting aside the need/desire to rebuild our film collections with UHD Blu-rays. I can also obviously still watch any and all of the DVDs/Blu-rays I previously owned, so "taking the plunge" is not nearly as disruptive or costly as it once was to make the jump from VHS to DVD.

Aside from picking up some UHD Blu-rays, I've became a pretty avid user of VUDU (which came loaded on my TV along with my PS4). It's a pay-as-you-go service with no monthly fees that allows you to rent or buy movies and TV series. New 4K UHD and regular HD movies often pop up on VUDU as "exclusives" a few weeks prior to DVD/Blu-ray releases. I've built up a small collection of films I own on VUDU, which I can now take with me anywhere I go and watch on any TV or device.

VUDU is also basically Blockbuster on steroids. You can find virtually any film or TV series on there from any time period, as opposed to other streaming services which have a smaller selection that rotates and varies from time to time, or VOD services that primarily only have recent releases available. VUDU allows you to search by genre but also by dozens of sub-genres, which is cool ("Thrillers" separates into categories like Detective/Police Thrillers, Murder & Mystery, Psychological Thrillers, Classics, Techno-thrillers, etc). You can also filter by release date, most watched, top picks, and even by Rotten Tomatoes scores.

Since it's a pay-as-you-buy/rent service, it makes for a nice supplement to other streaming services like Netflix/Hulu and to making physical Blu-ray purchases for your more "important" movies to own. It also probably has the best and biggest collection of 4K movies in one place with easy access.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I'm mostly thinking that knowing myself, I may want to buy the 4K Blu Rays for a lot of my favorite movies to ensure the best possible experience. But VUDU does sound good.

The one thing I'm curious about is if VUDU will automatically update with new transfers, like iTunes is doing for the Nolan re-releases.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 12-09-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #782
titansupes
Side-Kick

Gosh. I'm going to have to start looking into all this 4K stuff in the next year or so. These look so great. Heck, I've never even seen the TDKT on bluray yet! I've been avoiding them because of the aspect ratio changes, which I know will take me right out of it.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #783
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've explained this like 5x already lol, but I'm going to keep repeating it for anybody wandering into this thread.

What you're seeing is the result of the iTunes HDR to SDR conversion. This isn't the true 4k thing. HDR means the the highlights are going to be brighter and the darks are going to be darker. So in a down-converted 1080 version, the extreme bright shots seem like they've just been "brightened" altogether (giving it a washed out look), but it's not the case.

In short, it will look the way it's meant to look, and closer to what it looked like in the theater, with a proper 4k setup.
Okie dokie. I thought they were fiddling with these movies the way they recolored BvS.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #784
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

I wonder if SW is ahead of yet another ****storm.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #785
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

I wanna see Batman Returns in 4k. It already looks beautiful on bluray.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:50 AM   #786
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

One of my biggest requests for 4K release is Batman Returns. Up there with The Matrix and LOTR theatrical.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #787
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
One of my biggest requests for 4K release is Batman Returns. Up there with The Matrix and LOTR theatrical.
I want all of those. LOTR Extended is the version I’d watch though.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #788
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

No offence, but extended LOTR is a disgrace.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #789
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

I've nearly finished reading E. Paul Zehr's book Becoming Batman: The Possibility of a Superhero. It's really quite intriguing, all of the analyzing of the science and such behind Batman's possible real-world existence. Has anyone else read it?

Movies don't. Especially not the diseased, cancerous, leprosy-induced, kolera that is a Snyder exercise in brain death you would call movies.

To equate the struggle for civil rights of black people to DCEU should be grounds for admittance to a mental institution
Old 12-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #790
The Shape
In the shadows

The day I get to watch Batman '89 in 4K will also be the day that I'll know I will die a happy man.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #791
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
The day I get to watch Batman '89 in 4K will also be the day that I'll know I will die a happy man.
The movie is so dark though. What'd be the point?

Movies don't. Especially not the diseased, cancerous, leprosy-induced, kolera that is a Snyder exercise in brain death you would call movies.

To equate the struggle for civil rights of black people to DCEU should be grounds for admittance to a mental institution
Old 12-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #792
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

Superman and Memento (also Titanic, Die Hard, Dumbo etc.) were added to National Film Registry.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-17-178/

Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #793
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Now, we just gotta get "Batman" and "The Dark Knight" in there.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #794
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Die Hard

Old 12-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #795
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

Batman '89 definitely deserves to be on the registry. Sadly, it's remembered more as a cultural phenomenon than for any merits the movie might have (Performances, Production/Set design, Score, Make-up/Costumes).

Old 12-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #796
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Reposting from blu-ray.com (thanks, nunyabiziz). UHD photos, for those worried it will be too bright:

Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #797
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

OLED:

Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #798
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
No offence, but extended LOTR is a disgrace.
I much prefer them. Especially on the later 2 films.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #799
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I much prefer them. Especially on the later 2 films.
I hate it just as much as T2 extended/special edition. Completely ruins pace, tone. Weights down an already busy narrative and doesn't add anything worthy that would justify such increase in length. LOTR's Oscar for editing is deserved for a reason. I hope in time more people will realize extended LOTR is a piece of **** that spoils a cinematic masterpiece.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:52 AM   #800
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
I hate it just as much as T2 extended/special edition. Completely ruins pace, tone. Weights down an already busy narrative and doesn't add anything worthy that would justify such increase in length. LOTR's Oscar for editing is deserved for a reason. I hope in time more people will realize extended LOTR is a piece of **** that spoils a cinematic masterpiece.
The extended edition is not supposed to be cinematic or well paced. These scenes were cut for a reason. It's for fans who want to spend a life age of the earth in that world. I doubt people's opinion of something that old and aimed at fans is going to change a whole lot going forward. And it doesn't spoil the theatrical masterpiece of LotR because those still exist in the same format for the majority. Those are the films. These are separate adapted versions for home viewing only aimed at specific people, and most of those people were overjoyed (as in life materially improved ) by those editions. It obviously was not aimed at you which is cool.

Closed Thread