The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #926
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

no way will they kill Tony Stark, the IM franchise is far from finished.

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #927
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Kill Tony. I'll be heart broken but if his contract is ending anyway they might as well. That is, of course, as long as they don't kill him in the comics.
His contract finishes same time most of the other main Avengers' do, so why him over Thor or Cap?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #928
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I got the impression AoU is the last film RDJ is in.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #929
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I got the impression AoU is the last film RDJ is in.
He signed on for Avengers 2 and 3 though. Didn't he?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #930
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
He signed on for Avengers 2 and 3 though. Didn't he?
Yep.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #931
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I think Avengers 3 will be the last. I don't see them killing off Iron Man before the team confronts Thanos.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #932
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I think Avengers 3 will be the last. I don't see them killing off Iron Man before the team confronts Thanos.
True. He might bite it in that one, though.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #933
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
no way will they kill Tony Stark, the IM franchise is far from finished.
Of course they won't.
But they *can* "Han Solo in carbonite" him for a few years, or "Spock is dead" him for a few years.

We know he's not getting a sequel in Phase III, and that after AOU, his next appearance won't be until Avengers 3. That's what the contract says. So that leaves a full phase without reference to Tony Stark. He very well could "die" or disappear for the entirety of that phase, until some magic or other brings him back for Avengers 3.

It'd be an effective way to deliver an Empire Strikes Back or Wrath of Khan type cliffhanger.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #934
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Or they could incapacitate him in Avengers 3 and not bring him back until they cast a new Tony Stark years after RDJ retires.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #935
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

I hope they get a good composer for AoU. The score for The Avengers is piss poor.

They also need to get a better cinematographer and editor.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #936
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

The fact people continue to speculate on the big 3 Avengers dying in AoU despite the fact they are all under contract through Avengers 3 and doesn't follow Whedon's MO is astounding. He kills SUPPORTING characters guys...not the main ones...unless it is some type of finale, which he has already referred to Avengers 3 as the BIG finale previously. Seriously, watch his shows/movies and examine who he kills off. Main characters don't die in his shows! The people around them do. Cap, Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man are not going to die. Everyone expecting this is crazy and way overthinking it. The big 3 (or 4) = big bucks for Disney/Marvel. Why would they approve of killing them before their big money making sequels and multi-billion dollar series are concluded? It makes no business sense.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #937
DyeLorean
will return

Can't wait for the set pics, and getting glimpses of stuff like Cap's and Thor's suits, and things like that.
It feels like watching Santa through the keyhole as he starts putting the presents under the tree.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #938
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

@DyeLorean, that is a great comparison!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #939
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

I think that Iron Man will die in Avengers 2, be dead for most of Phase 3, and come back to life Avengers 3. RDJ will then end his involvement in the role, and a new Tony Stark will replace him for Iron Man 4 in Phase 4.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #940
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I think that would be extremely repetitive given he nearly died in Avengers to save everyone (and had that is he or isn't he dead moment). Plus, we already know he is under contract for Avengers 3. There would be little suspense about whether or not he is dead.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #941
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I don't see them killing off Iron Man in A2 just because he doesn't have a movie in phase 3. There doesn't need to be an explanation for what Tony is doing through phase 3. Banner doesn't have a movie. They can just say Tony goes back into retirement/settles down again after A2 (thus the point of IM3's ending) and leave it at that. He'll just be there when the Avengers need him.

At best I can see them killing or incapacitating him in A3.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #942
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

do you guys think they will go back to the red and gold for iron man in AoU?

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #943
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think that would be extremely repetitive given he nearly died in Avengers to save everyone (and had that is he or isn't he dead moment). Plus, we already know he is under contract for Avengers 3. There would be little suspense about whether or not he is dead.
Tony Stark was also presumed dead for most of IM3. How many times would Marvel be willing to play that card?

It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me...It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #944
cph9fa
Side-Kick

I don't know whether any of the Avengers will die (or apparently die) in this movie, but I do know Whedon has promised "death, death, and more death." Could just be tons of innocent civilians, though, who bite the dust... maybe. Of course, before it was revealed to be an Ultron plotline, we took that answer to refer to Thanos' girlfriend.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #945
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
I hope they get a good composer for AoU. The score for The Avengers is piss poor.
I can't speak for the whole soundtrack, but I hope they don't get rid of the Avengers theme. I love it. Gives me goosebumps.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #946
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Tony Stark was also presumed dead for most of IM3. How many times would Marvel be willing to play that card?
Yet another reason I don't see this happening. But, to be fair, the fact Stark was dead in IM3 was barely touched upon in the film.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #947
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Nice try, but there's nothing but a blank screen there. Pretty sure the mods won't let us link to bootleg.

Just look up "The Avengers: Age of Ultron SDCC Teaser Trailer (HD) Marvel" on YT. It's 1:07 long. Check out 0:22-0:24.

You're welcome.

*Edit: And also 0:29-0:30.

You're welcome again.
at 0:23 it's Ultron's "Ear" and antenna coming out of the mask... at 0:29-0:30 it's part of Ultron's head being attached..... You are very good at seeing what you want to see

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #948
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
TRM=LokiD. Calling it right now.
[IMG]http://cdn.alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/****-that-*****-scared-yao.png[/IMG]

Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #949
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Yet another reason I don't see this happening. But, to be fair, the fact Stark was dead in IM3 was barely touched upon in the film.
Yep, and Tony was quick to send a voicemail to Pepper to let her know he was really alive and just laying low. So there wasn't any kind of emotional resonance intended for an actual "OMG TONY STARK IS DEAD! " scene in IM3....or any of the other movies, for that matter. (He was "presumed dead" for all of two seconds at the end of Avengers before popping back up, quips in hand.)

So if Ultron *was* to kill Tony Stark in AOU, or possess him mind, body, but not soul, then it would definitely have emotional resonance. Again, just like ESB and TWOK....yeah, everybody knew that Solo and Spock would be back for the next film, but there was a lot of hand-wringing and guesswork in the years in-between. Those "death" scenes still pack a powerful tearjerker wallop, even when you realize full well that those characters weren't going away at all.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #950
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yep, and Tony was quick to send a voicemail to Pepper to let her know he was really alive and just laying low. So there wasn't any kind of emotional resonance intended for an actual "OMG TONY STARK IS DEAD! " scene in IM3....or any of the other movies, for that matter. (He was "presumed dead" for all of two seconds at the end of Avengers before popping back up, quips in hand.)

So if Ultron *was* to kill Tony Stark in AOU, or possess him mind, body, but not soul, then it would definitely have emotional resonance. Again, just like ESB and TWOK....yeah, everybody knew that Solo and Spock would be back for the next film, but there was a lot of hand-wringing and guesswork in the years in-between. Those "death" scenes still pack a powerful tearjerker wallop, even when you realize full well that those characters weren't going away at all.
Even if they were never actually gone, you can't keep playing that same card (whether it be for 2 seconds or 2 movies) and think that it will be fresh or get the desired response. We already have seen Stark "die" twice. In 2 straight films no less. Doing it again won't be original. Nor do I feel it is necessary either. People only are discussing this or wanting this because of Whedon's rep as a writer, not for an legitimate story related reason. These discussions are just funny to me, given I have followed Whedon for years, and in all those years, he hasn't been nearly as kill happy to main characters as people think he is.

If people want characters to die, wait for Avengers 3. The film that will feel more like a finale (and will be in many ways). Don't waste your best cards at the mid-point of the story. You want a tear jerker? Kill Fury, Hawkeye, etc. That will get the desired effect. We don't need one of the major Avengers to "die."

Closed Thread