The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old Today, 01:23 PM   #651
Matt Mortem
Civilization is on Fire

Default Re: "Make America Great Again"the F'dup Chapters in American History (The Trump Years

Voting Dem is the only way to beat him right now.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:56 PM   #652
Legendver2
Third Phantom

Default Re: "Make America Great Again"the F'dup Chapters in American History (The Trump Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
It just feels like every time we think something won't happen, it does.
Well I think impeachment won't happen...........

David Ayer's Forever Evil
Matthew Vaughn's Titans
Legendver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #653
Legendver2
Third Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
I know. I've heard the every man should be an island argument before, and have always thought it was crap. If they want to go back to being cavemen, then let them. Just don't drag the rest of us into it.

As for why it's a crap argument. That food you ate (you as in those who think that way)? Farmed, raised, killed, ect., by someone else. That house you live in? Built by someone else. The road you drive on? Paid by our collective taxes. Your lights, sewage, running water? All community based. The reason our soil sees so few foreign attacks? Someone else is fighting for you.

So every time I see it argued we should each only watch out for ourselves, I'm reminded of the hypocrisy. They want everything to be smooth for themselves, but think those lagging behind in society should be cut loose.
The irony is, most of Trump voters are probably the ones lagging behind, hence them voting for a guy who fake-promised he will bring them up. Little do they know....

David Ayer's Forever Evil
Matthew Vaughn's Titans
Legendver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #654
Doctor Jones
No One

After watching a couple hours of Gorsuch's hearings, I gotta say, anyone else think the Dem's are crying wolf here? Gorsuch just isn't the devil people are probably wanting him to be because Trump chose him. They could be biting themselves in the ass with this. Hearing Schumer is going to fillibuster and Graham responding to go nuclear is exactly what I've worried about. If the Republicans go nuclear it'll be the Democrats fault and they haven't truly learned after this election. They're not thinking the long game. The absolute negative energy shouldn't be aimed at this. We should grill and challenge Gorsuch of course and vote no, but you also can't keep bringing up Merrick Garland to the man who has already gotten a hearing as if it'll somehow undo the robbery the Republicans committed.

Gorsuch isn't ideal, but he's not a nutjob alt right Bannon type, an idiot like DeVos, or hell, even a slimy snake Ted Cruz type. This isn't a disaster like the Cabinet nominations. He's stable and qualified and Trump could have picked someone a lot worse. He's... a typical conservative. He has his problems like any of them (he's no originalist) His adherence will yield mixed results at best in the Supreme Court. The stakes aren't incredibly high here. With him there, the balance of power hasn't shifted. Not that it won't be a struggle, but it's certainly doable, like when Scalia was alive. I just feel like we're crying wolf here. So when God forbid something like Ginsberg could die (the timing makes it possible), that's truly the time for a battle, but it won't matter when the Democrats won't be able to do a damn thing, and it'll give more sympathy to the Republicans come next time. This is too risky and the negatives outweigh the positive for the Democrats here. This isn't a hill worth dying on.

I feel like this is a Star Wars prequel at times. The Democrats are sadly like the slow moving and stuck in their ways senate and Jedi Council that helps give rise to a fascist. I don't care how well intentioned or how in the right the Dems think they are, knowing what you already think isn't going to teach them anything and give them results to overcome the Republicans.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; Today at 02:13 PM.
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:04 PM   #655
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
After watching a couple hours of Gorsuch's hearings, I gotta say, anyone else think the Dem's are crying wolf here? Gorsuch just isn't the devil people are probably wanting him to be because Trump chose him. They could be biting themselves in the ass with this. Hearing Schumer is going to fillibuster and Graham responding to go nuclear is exactly what I've worried about. If the Republicans go nuclear it'll be the Democrats fault and they haven't truly learned after this election. They're not thinking the long game. The absolute negative energy shouldn't be aimed at this. We should grill and challenge Gorsuch of course and vote no, but you also can't keep bringing up Merrick Garland to the man who has already gotten a hearing as if it'll somehow undo the robbery the Republicans committed.

Gorsuch isn't ideal, but he's not a nutjob alt right Bannon type, an idiot like DeVos, or hell, even a slimy snake Ted Cruz type. This isn't a disaster like the Cabinet nominations. He's stable and qualified and Trump could have picked someone a lot worse. He's... a typical conservative. He has his problems like any of them (he's no originalist) His adherence will yield mixed results at best in the Supreme Court. The stakes aren't incredibly high here. With him there, the balance of power hasn't shifted. Not that it won't be a struggle, but it's certainly doable, like when Scalia was alive. I just feel like we're crying wolf here. So when God forbid something like Ginsberg could die (the timing makes it possible), that's truly the time for a battle, but it won't matter when the Democrats won't be able to do a damn thing, and it'll give more sympathy to the Republicans come next time. This is too risky and the negatives outweigh the positive for the Democrats here. This isn't a hill worth dying on.

I feel like this is a Star Wars prequel at times. The Democrats are sadly like the slow moving and stuck in their ways senate and Jedi Council that helps give rise to a fascist. I don't care how well intentioned or how in the right the Dems think they are, knowing what you already think isn't going to teach them anything and give them results to overcome the Republicans.

Obama was supposed to pick Scalia's replacement so I'm not feeling too much sympathy for the Republicans right now.

Old Today, 03:26 PM   #656
Doctor Jones
No One

Oh, me neither and nobody in their right mind would it's just the Republicans will bring up a huge stink about this in the future and will use this as ammunition to heighten their cause if another seat is open, and it's likely. I hope not though. The Republicans are only going to stoop lower and lower as time goes on (especially if they lose the mid terms), but it's hard for the Democrats to counter that when they aren't learning themselves. We now live in a time when the establishment Democrats are considered out of touch. For different reasons of course, but they have their own learning to do just as much if they think they can beat them. They still lost the election. It wasn't just the Russians and Trump and the electoral college, they still failed to ignite the same enthusiasm as Obama after only four years and a weakness was how much they assumed they had it. I'm not solely blaming the Democrats for the loss of the election. It's many factors too. But if we don't acknowledge the Dems played a hand in their own fall and hill they need to climb now, then we aren't really making steps to fix the party to beat Trump.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; Today at 03:31 PM.
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #657
The Incredible Hulk
Bad Hombre

Quote:

There's a concept in law that the "fruits of a crime don't belong to the criminal." Trump is looking a LOT like a criminal at this point, and he shouldn't be getting to enjoy any of the spoils of that (appointing a SCOTUS justice) until such point he's cleared of any wrongdoing. Naming cabinet members is one thing. They're basically figureheads and get replaced regularly. This is a whole other thing where you're talking about someone getting put in a powerful position for life.

THAT's the real issue here. Gorsuch, even though his views are outdated (and one of his circuit court decisions was just UNANIMOUSLY voted down by the SCOTUS today!) isn't unqualified, you're right. He's one of the few people Trump's appointed to something that actually has got the credentials for the job. It's just that his seat shouldn't be filled by a POTUS undergoing an FBI investigation that could completely do away with his legitimacy.

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; Today at 03:36 PM.
The Incredible Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #658
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
There's a concept in law that the "fruits of a crime don't belong to the criminal." Trump is looking a LOT like a criminal at this point, and he shouldn't be getting to enjoy any of the spoils of that (appointing a SCOTUS justice) until such point he's cleared of any wrongdoing. Naming cabinet members is one thing. They're basically figureheads and get replaced regularly. This is a whole other thing where you're talking about someone getting put in a powerful position for life.

THAT's the real issue here. Gorsuch, even though his views are outdated (and one of his circuit court decisions was just UNANIMOUSLY voted down by the SCOTUS today!) isn't unqualified, you're right. He's one of the few people Trump's appointed to something that actually has got the credentials for the job. It's just that his seat shouldn't be filled by a POTUS undergoing an FBI investigation that could completely do away with his legitimacy.
I agree with you, the principle of it sucks and it's undermining. It's a terrible situation and isn't ideal. None of this should be happening. I'm talking about Gorsuch himself and if he gets it. Yet here we are and we have to deal with the reality as is.

So my question is, what the hell can be done to ensure Gorsuch won't be put on the Supreme Court? What can the Democrats do that won't **** themselves over in the long run?

Last edited by Doctor Jones; Today at 03:51 PM.
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #659
Sithborg
Form... Voltron?

They are the minority. Not real much.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #660
fancyarcher
Side-Kick

Quote:

Like most of Trump's staff, he's apparently not an upstanding guy.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/22/al-f...al-philosophy/

fancyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 PM   #661
Kane52630
Astral Plane User

Old Today, 09:00 PM   #662
samsnee
Side-Kick

He looks more like an oversized toddler who doesn't know how to play nice and share with others.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:13 PM   #663
Kelly
Keeping It Positive! :)
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Obama was supposed to pick Scalia's replacement so I'm not feeling too much sympathy for the Republicans right now.
There is rumblings of the idea to blow up the ongoing investigation of the Trump campaign and Russia influencing the election, and pushing for the selection process for SCOTUS replacement to stop until that investigation is over. I don't believe they will be able to stop it, but that is an idea floating around.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:16 PM   #664
Sithborg
Form... Voltron?

So, it sounds like Trump will not care about healthcare if the AHCA fails. Shocking no one, he was more concerned about a win.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:21 PM   #665
Boom
I got nothin'

Just watch that disaster of a bill go through tomorrow.

Old Today, 09:35 PM   #666
djsunyc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
so a day after there's a mad driver in london, he thinks this is appropriate?

djsunyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:45 PM   #667
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
There is rumblings of the idea to blow up the ongoing investigation of the Trump campaign and Russia influencing the election, and pushing for the selection process for SCOTUS replacement to stop until that investigation is over. I don't believe they will be able to stop it, but that is an idea floating around.
That argument sounds as logical as "letting the people decide" with the next election, when it was still a year away. So I say go for it.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote