The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #526
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Haha, guys, it was an innocent little idea. No need to blow things out of proportion. I think we all need some vibranium-enhanced back massages.

Also, no one responded to my Blomkamp-as-Klaw idea! What do you all think? He probably doesn't act in other people's movies, but I liked his performance in District 9.

And did you know that he worked as a 3D animator on the visual effects in the Smallville TV show for an unknown number of episodes? At least, that's what it says on IMDB. I'm sure that doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #527
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

hopefully there will be Panther news at the San Diego ComicCon.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #528
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Apologies if I overlooked the context of your post. My bad.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 07-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #529
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Apologies if I overlooked the context of your post. My bad.
It's all good, bro. FWIW, I agree with most of your comments on the subject. =P

Old 07-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #530
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

I am sure we can all agree that a Black Panther movie - done right - would be very cool!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #531
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
hopefully there will be Panther news at the San Diego ComicCon.
That would make my summer.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #532
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
How do we know what Blomkamp's version of the Panther would be? Just because he directed a film set in South Africa [that had some questionable plot holes] does not mean he has a handle on the Panther.

I guess it depends upon what you define as "interfering". If making sure the film maker sticks to the character's almost 50 year history is interfering, and not go off on some tangent, then yes Marvel should "interfer". When you invest millions into a project you have every right to expect certain results and if said director is not willing to respect that, then let him make his own movies.
I wasn't implying that at all. How about we just stick to suggesting things for the movie and not spend time trying to interpret what other posters are suggesting?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #533
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
I wasn't implying that at all. How about we just stick to suggesting things for the movie and not spend time trying to interpret what other posters are suggesting?
Not sure what I was "interpreting" - but your last suggestion sounds good to me...

Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #534
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
That would make my summer.
It would make mine too. Sadly, I doubt it'll happen. I kind of doubt that they'll make any Phase Three announcements this year, given the fact that there are already 5 upcoming movies already announced through the end of 2015. Maybe next year!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #535
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Yeah i don't think we'll hear any Phase III talk except Ant Man stuff since Edgar Wright is going to be at comic-con.

I hope i'm wrong though. if a BP movie is announced while i'm at work, i might get fired because of all the breakdancing i'll be doing on my desk.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #536
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

side note-- who else noticed that the Panther was cut out of giving the Falcon his wings in the new Avengers 'toon?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #537
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Yeah i don't think we'll hear any Phase III talk except Ant Man stuff since Edgar Wright is going to be at comic-con.
Why would Marvel set dates for movies that don't come out for 3-4 years only a few weeks before Comic-Con if they don't have any announcements planned? I'm not trying to get your hopes up, but at the same time, I fully expect some phase 3 teasing. Especially with all this Dr. Strange talk that's been happening recently.

"I knew there was something wrong, it just took a while to dawn on me, or maybe I was just afraid to think it, but you survived the destruction because you caused it. Raina wasn't the only one changed in there, and I'm pretty sure the DNA results that I'm running right now will confirm that there's nothing wrong with the data in my head Skye, there's something wrong with you."
Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #538
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Why would Marvel set dates for movies that don't come out for 3-4 years only a few weeks before Comic-Con if they don't have any announcements planned? I'm not trying to get your hopes up, but at the same time, I fully expect some phase 3 teasing. Especially with all this Dr. Strange talk that's been happening recently.
To keep Sony from placing another Spider-Man there - what's why Cap is opening in April next year instead of May.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #539
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
To keep Sony from placing another Spider-Man there - what's why Cap is opening in April next year instead of May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter
Why would Marvel set dates for movies that don't come out for 3-4 years only a few weeks before Comic-Con
^^^

"I knew there was something wrong, it just took a while to dawn on me, or maybe I was just afraid to think it, but you survived the destruction because you caused it. Raina wasn't the only one changed in there, and I'm pretty sure the DNA results that I'm running right now will confirm that there's nothing wrong with the data in my head Skye, there's something wrong with you."
Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #540
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Haha, guys, it was an innocent little idea. No need to blow things out of proportion. I think we all need some vibranium-enhanced back massages.

Also, no one responded to my Blomkamp-as-Klaw idea! What do you all think? He probably doesn't act in other people's movies, but I liked his performance in District 9.

And did you know that he worked as a 3D animator on the visual effects in the Smallville TV show for an unknown number of episodes? At least, that's what it says on IMDB. I'm sure that doesn't add anything to the conversation.
Haha okay so, egg on my face, I actually meant Sharlto Copley-as-Klaw. For some reason I confused Blomkamp with Copley. What do you guys think of Copley as Klaw?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #541
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Marvel works with them with those release dates. They moved Cap right before Sony announced TASM2. They didn't have to do that and Sony wouldn't have put Spidey up against Cap if they weren't working with Marvel.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #542
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I'm pretty sure Marvel works with them with those release dates. They moved Cap right before Sony announced TASM2. They didn't have to do that and Sony wouldn't have put Spidey up against Cap if they weren't working with Marvel.
Not just Sony and Spidey, but any big franchise.

I would be surprised if the other studios and Marvel worked together on those release dates - they are all competing for the summer box office bucks.

The first of May is the current magic spot for summer block busters [like Memorial Day was for decades with Jaws, Star Wars, etc.] and it's the spot they all want. The old Spider-Man series once owned this, but then Marvel captured it with Iron Man, IM2, Thor, Avengers, and IM3.

I will have to take your word on the Cap/TASM2 thing - but I recall it the other way around - Sony grabbing that date shortly after TASM was released and I thought before Cap2 was announced.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #543
Mr. Dent
Banned User

No, Marvel already had the May spot locked up for one of their movies, like they locked up spots in 2016/2017 recently. They moved Cap to April so Spidey could have May. You have to remember that Marvel makes money off of Spidey and X-Men movies as well, it's a different situation than other studios. Also notice that Sony put Spidey at the June slot in 2017 after Marvel locked up the May spot for that month.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #544
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
side note-- who else noticed that the Panther was cut out of giving the Falcon his wings in the new Avengers 'toon?
They did in both EMH and the new one. They also had Iron Man design the Quinjet instead of T'Challa.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #545
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

The battle of dates I am curious about is the Avengers 2/Star Wars 7 one - if they both are released in 2015. The Avengers has the early May date, and Star Wars traditionally has the Memorial Day date - but will Disney release their two big guns only 3 weeks apart? Seems they would be competing with themselves at that point.
Of course, 2015 sounds too early for SW7 - so we shall see...

Old 07-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #546
Mr. Dent
Banned User

They wouldn't be competing 3 weeks apart. Most movies make the bulk of their money in that time frame.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #547
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

How would a Black Panther movie fit in with the other Marvel movies? I've always thought that the idea of small, isolated nations having tech far in advance of the world at large to be unbelievable. It can be made to work in comics and cartoons but for the big screen they'd have to change this aspect imo.

Could they do a Black Panther movie that isn't focused on Wakonda and therefore doesn't have to define what that country is like? That way people can imagine it however they like and it doesn't have the jar with the "realistic" feel of the world (as realistic as a world with giant green guys and norse gods running around can be anyway).

Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #548
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ That's also something I've had a problem with. I believe the Studio itself has had problems with it as well.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #549
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
How would a Black Panther movie fit in with the other Marvel movies? I've always thought that the idea of small, isolated nations having tech far in advance of the world at large to be unbelievable. It can be made to work in comics and cartoons but for the big screen they'd have to change this aspect imo.

Could they do a Black Panther movie that isn't focused on Wakonda and therefore doesn't have to define what that country is like? That way people can imagine it however they like and it doesn't have the jar with the "realistic" feel of the world (as realistic as a world with giant green guys and norse gods running around can be anyway).
Audiences do not seem to have any problem with the advanced nature of Stark's tech, so I don't see why it would have a problem with Wakanda being similarly advanced.

Seems you have to have some of the movie in Wakanda or else what's the point - isn't that what sets him apart from other heros? I don't want to see a Thor movie that ignores Asgard, either.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #550
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^This is definitely a discussion we've had before. The audience was in on the invention of Stark's tech as part of his journey. There is no: They like X in movie A so they'll automatically like X in movie B. That's not how storytelling works. But on the flip side, if you invite the audience in on the creation and genesis of this tech through their growing attachment to T'Challa, you can give Wakanda whatever tech you want, basically.

To answer the question, what sets Black Panther as a hero apart is the shadowy styling, the brilliant deductive mind and the more weaponized gadgets. That, in a way, is what sets the film apart, the political intrigue, the mental games that characters play with each other and a very visceral martial arts style. It connects with the MCU well, imho, because it's the genesis for Cap's shield, kind of putting it first on the timeline, but it's also got Vibranium, which famously ties into any villain plot, making Black Panther a very integral part of the current adventure. The Vibranium is the 'in' on either hand, including the hand of how you explain it's high techness. The Black Panther is just what happens when someone comes along who can exploit that to its maximum potential.

Closed Thread