The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #101
GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

I didnt care for the land scheme either.I really wish zod would have been in S.R. like originaly planned by singer.Too bad law turned it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029
Not on your plane then I guess, I thought Routh was solid in the role of Superman and Clark. I thought Spacey was much less campy than Hackman, and he was fine for the role. The land scheme I could have done without, the hencheman seemed pretty brutal compared with previous renditions. I thought Singer did a decent job along with his writers, Ottman take it or leave it.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #102
Showtime
Your Friend In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo
I didnt care for the land scheme either.I really wish zod would have been in S.R. like originaly planned by singer.Too bad law turned it down.
That would have made alot of sense, but it's fishy to me why they would get rid of a character because an actor turned it down. Zod could be played by anybody.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #103
GreenKToo
In the fire

I know,maybe its a false report??I cant see singer being so stubborn that he wouldnt use anyone but Law.Who knows though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029
That would have made alot of sense, but it's fishy to me why they would get rid of a character because an actor turned it down. Zod could be played by anybody.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #104
igotatromboner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee
It wasn't meant as an argument (I like to discuss many things, argue nothing....arguing is a waste of time)....you said no one could explain those things...I stated that I had given decent explanations for it before. Now....you can either search for them....or, if you can be patient (and not so hurry to "start an argument")....you can wait until I have time to re-write them for you. Try to act civil and get the chip off of your shoulder and life will flow more smoothly.

When I say 'argument' I don't mean an angry verbal interaction, I mean your point. I can't say, "Wow good debate" when we aren't having a debate. I've made my point, and you said you had made your point somewhere else previously. That's not a debate where I come from, that's you not having an adequate response. I'm not really trying to start fights, I'm just saying that anyone would have a hard time explaining the crap that was in SR. If right was logic the movie took a left turn. I'm more than patient for you or anyone else to explain to me why the actions in the movie were the actions chosen and why they were the logical thing to do.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #105
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I'll try to dig it up in between my modding duties....that's why I didn't type up a long re-explanation....I'm kept rather busy with other things. I just wanted to let you know (and I have now had someone back me up) that I had previously made a decent explanation for things.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:02 PM   #106
igotatromboner
Side-Kick

No rush, being a mod can keep you busy. I remember all the heck me and JcDc raised awhile back during the casting wars. We kept the mods busy.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:35 AM   #107
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

harris and dougherty are awesome.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #108
igotatromboner
Side-Kick

wrong

Old 10-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #109
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy
Reread what I said Retroman... I'm giving an example of a combo that should happen for Superman... I'm not saying that Nolan/Goyer should be apart of it...
My bad. Still don't see it happening though, sorry.

BTW The SR duo have already started doing their homework.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #110
GreenKToo
In the fire

Their is no right or wrong...only opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotatromboner
wrong

Old 10-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #111
romeogbs19
Side-Kick

SR's script was sorely lacking.

Either Dougherty and Harris rushed the job because they didn't have too much time, or WB/Singer need to get additional writers on the sequel. My take is the latter. I've said it in the SR thread, and I'll say it here: Get a REAL author. My reco: Michael Chabon. You may know him as the Pulitzer Prize author of the Amazing Adv. of Kavalier and Clay. He's a BIG comic book fan and I think well capable of handling the dialogue for a Supes flick just as Puzo did for STM.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #112
Rizor
Side-Kick

Puzo didn't do squat for STM.

But Chabon does have a story credit on Spidey 2, which I think I excellent. Don't know how much of his material made it to the screen though.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:53 AM   #113
romeogbs19
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor
Puzo didn't do squat for STM.
Wait, Puzo handled the original screenplay for STM and S2, and I think he did a darn good job, given how well those movies have survived the decades, and still are considered among the best scripted CB movies ever. Did you not enjoy STM or S2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor
But Chabon does have a story credit on Spidey 2, which I think I excellent. Don't know how much of his material made it to the screen though.
Yay! I seriously think we should push WB to sign on Chabon. I don't know how much of Spidey 2 he handled, either, but in an EW interview, he said his favorite contribution was the scene when Peter stops the steel wall from landing on MJ towards the end. Holding it up, mask off, he utters, "Umm -- Hi ... <pause> This is really heavy." Classic -- one of my favorite zingers in that movie

Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM   #114
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeogbs19
Wait, Puzo handled the original screenplay for STM and S2, and I think he did a darn good job, given how well those movies have survived the decades, and still are considered among the best scripted CB movies ever. Did you not enjoy STM or S2?

Tom Mankiewicz (sp?) cleaned up Puzo's bulky, uber campy script. We didn't really see all of Puzo's intentions in Superman 1 & 2. Most of that was Mankiewicz.

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #115
igotatromboner
Side-Kick

Look, S:TM had cheesy moments no matter who wrote it. It's 2006, cheesy and campy moments in superhero movies should be done on purpose and done with a joking tone. Superhero movies are trying to be serious nowadays and camp should be handled carefully. SR had lots of accidental campiness like many other superhero movies. Careless directing, writing, and even editing are responsible for that.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #116
markaudette
Is Not a Unique Snowflake

Post Re: Dougherty and Harris

I sincerely hope that they both mature as film writers by the time pen goes to paper for the SR sequel.

I have been very critical of SR's screenplay due to its lack of super-powered action. It was just ...boring. Subdued. Insipid. Droll.

May I please give a wod of advice D & H?

If there's ONE person who can deliver us some breath taking action, it's our solar powerd, nearly imortal demi-god last son of Krypton. He can do just about anything except read minds.

So very dearly do I wish that Tom Mankiewicz was somehow involved in the next movie. This is my biggest wish.

Last edited by markaudette; 10-29-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 PM   #117
igotatromboner
Side-Kick

Completely correct. It really surprised me when Superman managed to underwhelm in the action department. It's freakin' Superman.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #118
ervann
Super Deformin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudette
I sincerely hope that they both mature as film writers by the time pen goes to paper for the SR sequel.

I have been very critical of SR's screenplay due to its lack of super-powered action. It was just ...boring. Subdued. Insipid. Droll.

May I please give a wod of advice D & H?

If there's ONE person who can deliver us some breath taking action, it's our solar powerd, nearly imortal demi-god last son of Krypton. He can do just about anything except read minds.

So very dearly do I wish that Tom Mankiewicz was somehow involved in the next movie. This is my biggest wish.
I think the action will defo be in the sequel - let's just hope they're big AND original (cn't stress ths enough).

But my concern is more the dialogue. That's where the writing really opens up. I just saw SR agaon on a plane and felt (again) that the dialogue just did not follow through with the emotions at play. It has its moments but overall, really just weak (esp between Clark/Supe and Lois).

Old 10-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #119
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Look, S:TM had cheesy moments no matter who wrote it. It's 2006, cheesy and campy moments in superhero movies should be done on purpose and done with a joking tone. Superhero movies are trying to be serious nowadays and camp should be handled carefully. SR had lots of accidental campiness like many other superhero movies. Careless directing, writing, and even editing are responsible for that.
no, you dont understand...the original puzo script was WAY cheezy and campy, like 60's batman tv show cheezy and campy....it was mankiewicz that came in, decided it should be played straight and serious, and crafted it into what we saw on screen.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #120
romeogbs19
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel
no, you dont understand...the original puzo script was WAY cheezy and campy, like 60's batman tv show cheezy and campy....it was mankiewicz that came in, decided it should be played straight and serious, and crafted it into what we saw on screen.
Not doubting you -- but if you're right, then why is it he's not credited at all for the scipt? In Supes 1 and 2, it's only Puzo's name underneath the "written by" category; I think people aren't giving Puzo enough credit here -- we'll never know what parts he delivered, but given his resume of the Godfather, you have to think he contributed a lot of the wit and intelligence to the storyline.

Which, BTW, wasn't present in SR. WB: Get Chabon!

Old 10-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #121
igotatromboner
Side-Kick

Where could I find this Puzo script? I just can't picture the Godfather guy doing a campy Superman script. I have to read this. Is it funny like the Kevin Smith/John Peters script?

Old 10-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #122
markaudette
Is Not a Unique Snowflake

Post Re: Dougherty and Harris

Has anyone else noticed about how little dialog is in movies these days?

That's what makes me appreciate Quintin Tarintino's and Kevin Smith's movies - the fact that their minds are somewhere deeper into the screenplay than anyone else. They've involved themselves in projects so much more intimately. Whether it's a rant about what the French call a Big Mac or the wonders of donkey Bestiality - the writers wanted to jump into those topics and wallow around in them. Practically NO ONE in SR had more than two sentences to say. And the vast majority of the film is spent with characters spitting only one sentence at a time. I think the only person who spouts at least 3 senetnces in a row is the late Marlon Brando. Which is fine because I like to hear him talk. Clark and Lois have the most dialog invested in the movie and that only comes when Clark is giving Lois his "interview."

I am constantly offended by the current state of screenplays in today's films - they think I can't both like action AND long exposition. I think they assume that if I like a good action scene, I'm also too stupid to like a brainy film with complex dialog. I'm trully offended!

Even though I have really enjoyed the X2 and SR, they just seem unwilling to just let the character's talk. And I can't stand that!

You won't lose me by just letting characters talk. And I'm also NOT going to tune out if there's a lot of action on screen. I'm going to pay one million percent attention the WHOLE entire movie.

NO ONE in a Dougherty & Harris movie has chemistry together.

Last edited by markaudette; 10-30-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #123
romeogbs19
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where could I find this Puzo script? I just can't picture the Godfather guy doing a campy Superman script. I have to read this. Is it funny like the Kevin Smith/John Peters script?
Ummm ... Mario Puzo wrote the scripts for the first two Reeve movies; that's what we're talking about here. Had he handled the SR script, no way would the dialogue have been that bland.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #124
igotatromboner
Side-Kick

Ummm ... the original Puzo scripts with the campy stuff; that's what I'm talking about here.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #125
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeogbs19
Ummm ... Mario Puzo wrote the scripts for the first two Reeve movies; that's what we're talking about here. Had he handled the SR script, no way would the dialogue have been that bland.
Once again, Puzo wasn't responsible for the final scripts for Superman I and II. Tom Mankiewicz was. Puzo had a script where Kolchak said, "Who loves ya, baby!" to Superman. Mankiewicz didn't. He took the camp down a notch as opposed to Puzo's almost 60s Batman take on Superman.

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Closed Thread