The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Black Lightning

Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
famicommander
Side-Kick

Default Black Lightning Arrowverse connection speculation thread

So as we all know, when this show was announced they made it pretty clear that it wasn't going to be connected to the Arrowverse. But they said the same thing about Supergirl, and look where we are now.

The move to the CW only makes it that much more likely in my opinion. There's no reason to have the show on the same channel with some of the same producers and not at least do some crossovers, even if the show occupies its own Earth within the Arrowverse as Supergirl, Freedom Fighters: the Ray, and The Flash (1990) do.

I think this would be a nice chance to flesh out Supergirl's Earth. I'd love to see Black Lightning officially take place on Earth-38. With Flash, Arrow, Legends, Vixen, and Constantine all taking place on Earth-1, it sort of leaves Supergirl on an island.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Default Re: Black Lightning Arrowverse connection speculation thread

"Its on Earth-N" is sort of the default minimum level of connection that everyone can assume, even if they never use it. Beyond that. . . I don't know. It could work with Earth-38, but only if we fully reject and retcon the first season "now Earth has a second hero" line.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Jesse
Old Curmudgeon

He better be in the next crossover!

Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"Its on Earth-N" is sort of the default minimum level of connection that everyone can assume, even if they never use it. Beyond that. . . I don't know. It could work with Earth-38, but only if we fully reject and retcon the first season "now Earth has a second hero" line.
That Kara knew about anyway. They throw out a lot of hints that Batman exists. Perhaps Black Lightning isn't that well know outside of the city he lives in. I am assuming it won't be Metropolis or Gotham City.
In the New 52 there is a Black Lightning that lives on Earth-23. If they ever do a cross-over, maybe that could be when he lives.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

I think a big problem is just shooting locations. BL shoots in Atlanta which is even further away from Vancouver then LA was. But I do expect him to show up at least once somewhere.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Just keep him on Earth-1 and if they need to crossover they do. No need to put him on a different Earth.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Problem with that: his backstory involves being a relatively public superpowered hero years before any other public metahuman activity. That does not fit well/at all with Earth-1.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Problem with that: his backstory involves being a relatively public superpowered hero years before any other public metahuman activity. That does not fit well/at all with Earth-1.
That's why they kept Supergirl off Earth-1. Not because of Supergirl, she became a hero after Flash became a hero. It was because of Superman. Superman was known to the world something like ten or eleven years ago.
So no one would be shocked if a guy who can suddenly run fast shows up when there is already a guy who can fly and shoot laser beams out of his eyes that has been around for over a decade.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #9
TheRedWraith
Side-Kick

Actually, fitting Black Lightning into Supergirl's earth would really help with the situation they established where Superman inspired no one to became a hero over a 15 year career, by having him be inspired to be a hero by Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
There are many times where I bite my tongue on these forums. Most of the time, engaging in a back and forth simply isn't worth the effort.
TheRedWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:54 AM   #10
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Problem is that Supergirl already has Livewire and in the last episode with Livewire it looked like Supergirl was starting to get through to Livewire and maybe be able to reform Livewire.
So I'm not sure Black Lightning would be a good fit for Supergirl either. Plus Livewire's powers seemed new to everyone and even the DEO seemed to be at a loss as to how to deal with
Livewire. It would seem that at least the DEO would have known about Black Lightning and thus be better able to deal with Livewire.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #11
LL2K2
Maid of Might

I've noticed something in the first photos released: There's a familiar character from the Superman comics in this universe - Inspector William Henderson.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
eon001
Side-Kick

Keep the universe separate. If it becomes part of the Arrowverse where not going to hear the end of it from nit picky fans.

"Where was BL during the invasion?" "How come no one has noticed BL till now?".

It also means BL creative team will have alot more freedom. Unless there's a cross over every episode what real benefit would he get from being in the Arrowverse? Just ends up being jarring unnecessary fan service.

They can always jump dimensions like Kara does.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #13
LTuser
Banned User

Part of me doesn't care if they ever do get linked, but it would be nice at least, to see maybe a snipped, say in a news paper/on tv" that they are at least in the same "realm'?

LTuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

I think they will leave it ambiguous...this way they can either be part of the Flarrowerse or part of another Earth.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPBAGS View Post
I think they will leave it ambiguous...this way they can either be part of the Flarrowerse or part of another Earth.
I agree

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
Flash525
Side-Kick

It'll happen, I'm sure of it, but alike Supergirl, it probably wont be for a while. The problem, I think, will be tone. Black Lightning is a very African American show about an African American hero, in an African American community.

If you suddenly throw in Barry or Kara, the tone of the episode becomes less serious, and more comical and/or jokey. The only crossover I'd like to see, at least in the immediate future, is one with Arrow; a darker tone where the two heroes work together (or their teams work together) to defeat a common threat? I'd much rather have smaller crossovers than entire show ones.

Quote:
Not really; Black Lightning could serve as nothing more than an urban myth as far as the world is concerned.

Flash525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

I wonder if it would be better to have Black Lightning appear on another show in their city than having another hero (ie-Flash, Arrow) appear in Freeland. Just to keep the tone the same.

Although, I can see Green Arrow coming to Freeland.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
edwardc
Side-Kick

BL being on supergirl would make more sense seeing how from the comic year one he is from Metropolis
A gold medal-winning Olympic decathlete, Jefferson Pierce, returned to his old neighborhood in the Southside (Suicide Slum) section of the city of Metropolis, with his wife Lynn Stewart and his daughter Anissa to become the principal of Garfield High School

edwardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #19
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wonder if it would be better to have Black Lightning appear on another show in their city than having another hero (ie-Flash, Arrow) appear in Freeland. Just to keep the tone the same.

Although, I can see Green Arrow coming to Freeland.
What about Vixen (Mari McCabe)? She's a street level vigilante in urban Detroit. She'd fit right in with Black Lightning.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Supergirl and Meta-humans got name dropped in previous episodes.

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

They can still cross over but they don't have to be in the same universes. BL can be on his own earth. They can have Barry Allen visit his earth one day and then have a lightning showdown between the two before teaming up.

It would be like the Flash/ Supergirl crossover.

Maybe they can do a musical crossover with Grant Gustin and Chyna Anne McLain singing a duet.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #22
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
I could see them doing that, although I'd be very surprised if a crossover didn't happen at some point.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:59 AM   #23
Flash525
Side-Kick

I think he should exist in the Arrowverse, but not on Earth-1, nor Earth-38. He should be on his own Earth which can be visited if/when it's called for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
That Kara knew about anyway. They throw out a lot of hints that Batman exists. Perhaps Black Lightning isn't that well know outside of the city he lives in. I am assuming it won't be Metropolis or Gotham City.
Coincidentally, both Gotham, a black-masked vigilante, Clark's Friend, and Bruce Wayne (or a mixture of) have been mentioned or referenced in both Arrow and Supergirl, so presumably there are two Batman's in the Arrowverse.

Quote:
Where did that come from?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 AM   #24
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
I think he should exist in the Arrowverse, but not on Earth-1, nor Earth-38. He should be on his own Earth which can be visited if/when it's called for.

Coincidentally, both Gotham, a black-masked vigilante, Clark's Friend, and Bruce Wayne (or a mixture of) have been mentioned or referenced in both Arrow and Supergirl, so presumably there are two Batman's in the Arrowverse.

Where did that come from?
There are undoubtedly multiple versions of these characters on multiple earths.

But maybe retroactively they could say the black masked vigilante was Black Lightning. The black could've referred not to a black mask but a vigilante wearing a mask who was black.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #25
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But maybe retroactively they could say the black masked vigilante was Black Lightning. The black could've referred not to a black mask but a vigilante wearing a mask who was black.
Whilst a black-masked vigilante could be in reference to anyone (heck, it could even reference Black Canary/Siren), the same cannot be said for the other easter eggs. There's no logic in referencing Gotham or Bruce Wayne without the implication that there is also a Batman.

Unlike a lot of heroes who are otherwise capable (or known?) on a global scale, the likes of Batman - a vigilante operating in a single city - may not exactly be public knowledge - at least compared to the likes of Earth-1 Barry & Earth-38 Superman. I never did quite get why heroes in the DC Universe (generally) protected a city, whereas those in the Marvel Universe (generally) protect where they're needed.

The likes of Superman, Flash, and even Wonder Woman (with her invisible jet) should be global heroes, rather than their stories seemingly catering to Metropolis or Central City.