The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #276
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

I think a split makes sense - some of the assets aren't a great fit for Disney or involve the Mouse getting into new businesses. Here's my take on how the big stuff gets split up in a combined bid:

Distribution rights to Star Wars: A New Hope - Disney

X-Men, Deadpool, FF live action rights - Disney

Twentieth Century Fox Television (not including Simpsons & Family Guy)- Disney

Fox Regional Sports Networks - Disney

Star India - Disney

National Geographic - Disney

Hulk and Namor distribution rights - Disney

Marvel theme park rights east of the Mississippi - Disney

Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy franchises - Comcast

FX Networks - Comcast

20th Century Fox film studio (not including Marvel, Deadpool, FF & Avatar)- Comcast

Sky - Disney & Comcast

Hulu - Disney & Comcast

Old 02-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #277
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Can somebody just put me in a coma and wake me up when all this is done?
Try watching the Venom trailer.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #278
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Conan View Post
Here's an article that elucidates on this much further.

Here's the most interesting snippet of this article for me.
Great read. Shows that Comcast is already on shaky ground

Old 02-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #279
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post

I don't know about The Simpsons. Big property with a huge back catolog that will be milked for ages yet. Got a few channels here in the UK shows repeats of them perpetually.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #280
Iceman
Infinity War!

Simpsons would be a good one for streaming.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #281
ImSGirl95
Doreen Green

Quote:
Here's an article that elucidates on this much further.

Here's the most interesting snippet of this article for me.
So .. is this good news?

"You think of Marvel as the biggest studio in the world, but it’s really just Kevin [Feige] and his two friends... he's all about making something that entertains people but leaves you with something to think about."
Old 02-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #282
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
Yeah. I was saying that earlier. If they had stayed in the bidding and worked certain angles, they'd be in better shape now than if they dropped out and then tried to bounce back in.
Yeah. Anyway at least it has helped the likelihood of Disney getting Marvel rights so I’m not going to complain.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #283
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I don't know about The Simpsons. Big property with a huge back catolog that will be milked for ages yet. Got a few channels here in the UK shows repeats of them perpetually.
If Disney & Comcast were to combine offers my thinking is that Simpsons would be a must for NBC/Universal since they have multiple theme park lands built around those characters.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #284
ADollarADay
Side-Kick

Exciting times ahead if you own shares in FOX, FOXA, DIS, CMCSA, TWX, T.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #285
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Try watching the Venom trailer.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #286
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
It's popular, but if this thing gets split up and Disney starts looking for things a la carte, I could see them willing to pass on things like Simpsons and Family Guy for their more 'kid-friendly' streaming service.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #287
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSGirl95 View Post
So .. is this good news?
It could be good news since the article presents the feasible risks to Comcast buying Fox, which again, could end up getting the same pushback as the AT&T/Time Warner merger since a potential Comcast/Fox merger would be theoretically more like that one than the Disney/Fox merger would(which is a horizontal merger, the Time Warner one is a vertical one).

And that's part of the impetus for Murdoch favoring Disney over Fox since a deal with Disney would face less regulatory hurdles. Notice that the piece of the article that I sampled here pointed out that Comcast attempted to make a similar purchase of Warner assets three years ago but it was eventually blocked---which a possible Comcast/Fox deal could end up being as well if Comcast does try to take another swing at Fox.

IMO, it's all dependent on how far along the regulatory process is because if the Fox/Disney deal is coming along nicely without any of the fierce opposition(like a delay) that Time Warner/At&tt merger has then it becomes harder for Comcast to try to re-negotiate for a Fox purchase as I'm not sure shareholders(no matter how much more tantalizing a potential Comcast offer would be) would really want to scrap all that progress in order to start from scratch. A Comcast/Fox merger would likely be a riskier roll of dice for approval which would likely face the same delays or regulatory obstacles with a higher probability of it being shut down. Disney is still the much safer bet.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 02-12-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #288
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
It could be good news since the article presents the feasible risks to Comcast buying Fox, which again, could end up getting the same pushback as the AT&T/Time Warner merger since a potential Comcast/Fox merger would be theoretically more like that one than the Disney/Fox merger would(which is a horizontal merger, the Time Warner one is a vertical one).

And that's part of the impetus for Murdoch favoring Disney over Fox since a deal with Disney would face less regulatory hurdles. Notice that the piece of the article that I sampled here pointed out that Comcast attempted to make a similar purchase of Warner assets three years ago but it was eventually blocked---which a possible Comcast/Fox deal could end up being as well if Comcast does try to take another swing at Fox.

IMO, it's all dependent on how far along the regulatory process is because if the Fox/Disney deal is coming along nicely without any of the fierce opposition(like a delay) that Time Warner/At&tt merger has then it becomes harder for Comcast to try to re-negotiate for a Fox purchase as I'm not sure shareholders(no matter how much more tantalizing a potential Comcast offer would be) would really want to scrap all that progress in order to start from scratch. A Comcast/Fox merger would likely be a riskier roll of dice for approval which would likely face the same delays or regulatory obstacles with a higher probability of it being shut down. Disney is still the much safer bet.
If it's true they favor the Disney stock, that's another aspect to take into account that might also help offset the price difference. Throw in a tantalizing position to the Murdochs on top of that....though I'm sure Comcast could/would also do something along those lines.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #289
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
I think a split makes sense - some of the assets aren't a great fit for Disney or involve the Mouse getting into new businesses. Here's my take on how the big stuff gets split up in a combined bid:

Distribution rights to Star Wars: A New Hope - Disney

X-Men, Deadpool, FF live action rights - Disney

Fox Regional Sports Networks - Disney

Star India - Disney

National Geographic - Disney

Hulk and Namor distribution rights - Disney

Marvel theme park rights east of the Mississippi - Disney

Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy franchises - Comcast

FX Networks - Comcast

20th Century Fox film studio (not including Marvel, Deadpool, FF & Avatar)- Comcast

Sky - Disney & Comcast

Hulu - Disney & Comcast
Hulk and namor would be nice.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #290
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
If Disney & Comcast were to combine offers my thinking is that Simpsons would be a must for NBC/Universal since they have multiple theme park lands built around those characters.
Oh I didn't know that. Would make sense for them to go for that then.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #291
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
Hulk and namor would be nice.
With everything going on, I don't really see either of them getting a solo movie (though I'd go see them both). As I understand it, Namor can appear similarly to how Hulk has. Correct? Spidey is the one I'd really like to see back in the fold. Then Willie wouldn't have to risk laughing himself to death when someone mentions Venom and comas.

Hats off to Zarex for that one. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read his post.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 02-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #292
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bang View Post
No. Just speculation that Comcast could put in a higher bid, but that ignores the fact that Comcast's bid was already reportedly higher than Disney's in the first place. Fox likely went with Disney's bid for other reasons, such as better stock valuation for Fox's shareholders from Disney stock vs. Comcast stock. As well as their proven track record with integration and unlocking value out of properties.

The only part of the article that I found rather interesting was Comcast's paying such close attention to AT&T+Time Warner. The question arises, what does Comcast plan to do if the AT&T & Time Warner deal doesn't go through? Seems rather self explainable to me.
How could that happen if Fox already accepted the Disney acquisition deal?

- CM Punk
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #293
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
How could that happen if Fox already accepted the Disney acquisition deal?
The thinking is if they come in high enough over the Disney bid the Murdochs would be pressured by their stockholders to pay the $1.5B break up fee and sell off the entertainment properties to Comcast. It seems extremely unlikely to me, and the threat of a competing offer may be Rupert putting pressure on Iger to give his son James a top executive position.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #294
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Considering the acquisition has already been signed or agreed upon to some degree, what would be Fox's penalty for breaking it here?

- CM Punk
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #295
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevileone View Post
considering the acquisition has already been signed or agreed upon to some degree, what would be fox's penalty for breaking it here?
$1.52b

Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #296
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

BREAKING: 21st Century Fox President Peter Rice Would Prefer to Sell to Disney Over Comcast

Quote:
21st Century Fox president and Fox networks group chairman Peter Rice stated a preference for Disney as the company to ultimately acquire the majority of Fox, despite Comcast’s reported renewed interest in outbidding the Mouse. “I think it’s a great fit for Disney,” Rice said at Recode’s Code Media event in Southern California Monday.
“We’ve had a speculation-palooza,” admitted Rice when asked about Comcast’s moves. He admitted that Fox assets would be a great complement to both companies, but argued that ultimately if he had to choose, Disney would be a better partner. “We are excited about it,” he said about the announced deal.
http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...st-1202696305/

Smart man. Let's hope those shareholders share his sentiments.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #297
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
BREAKING: 21st Century Fox President Peter Rice Would Prefer to Sell to Disney Over Comcast

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...st-1202696305/

Smart man. Let's hope those shareholders share his sentiments.
Bring them home

Old 02-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #298
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It's a nice story but doesn't sound like it's his decision.

- CM Punk
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #299
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It's a nice story but doesn't sound like it's his decision.
But the interesting thing is that he's commenting at all. The safe thing to do for someone in his position would be to keep his head down and see how things shake out.

By taking a side, he's increasing his chances of having a job with Disney, but decreasing his chances of having a job with Comcast.

For him to go on record as saying he prefers Disney would seem to indicate he must feel it's significantly more likely that Disney will end up owning it.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #300
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
$1.52b
I assume Comcast would pay that fee for FOX if this happened.

Closed Thread