The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Infinity War

Old 02-04-2018, 01:55 AM   #326
Aximili86
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sharon Carter - Agent 13 - Emily VanCamp

I don't know if you watch AoS, but Mockingbird on that always came off way more "Sharon" than Sharon to me. Not perfectly of course, they kind of do their own thing on that show (much as I like it), but Sharon's seemed a big missed opportunity in the movies.

That being said, they put a lot of the Sharon traits on Peggy anyway, so a lot of this MCU stuff was different from the start (and frankly better for it, MCU Peggy is amazing and a million times better than books-Peggy).

But yeah, I always sort of thought when Winter Soldier came out that the "agent next door keeping tabs on him" should have just been Mockingbird anyway, y'know? Young-but-promising S.H.I.E.L.D. agent nobody paid much attention to, Fury keeping as this off-the-books asset on the side as he believes in her potential, trusting her to monitor Steve for him.

And if you really felt the need to have Sharon in that movie, she really probably should have been the head of the S.H.I.E.L.D. black-ops team on the Lemurian Star (maybe you could have even introduced Sharon in a small role in the first Avengers). More of a traditional military background than, say, Natasha or Clint - she's risen through the ranks inspired by her aunt during WWII, eventually becoming part of S.H.I.E.L.D. and a major special ops figure. Could probably cast her a little older, 35-40 or so, make the Peggy niece thing make a little more sense with the ages.

Then midway through the movie you could do this whole cool split thing with the black ops S.H.I.E.L.D. team. Half the guys are loyal and half are Hydra (led by Rumlow). Maybe just prior to confronting Steve in the Triskelion elevator the Hydra guys turned on the loyal S.H.I.E.L.D guys, killing 'em and Sharon's the only one to get away, hooking up with the Cap/Widow/Falcon/Fury crew later on for the big showdown.

A little more convoluted, but it could have been done with a little tweaking. Want to stress that Van Camp's fine though, movie-Sharon sucking isn't really anything to do with her. And Hayley/Peggy being so strong and likable is also a big part of why Sharon comes off really bland in comparison. Whole lot of reasons here.

Aximili86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #327
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aximili86 View Post
I don't know if you watch AoS, but Mockingbird on that always came off way more "Sharon" than Sharon to me. Not perfectly of course, they kind of do their own thing on that show (much as I like it), but Sharon's seemed a big missed opportunity in the movies.

That being said, they put a lot of the Sharon traits on Peggy anyway, so a lot of this MCU stuff was different from the start (and frankly better for it, MCU Peggy is amazing and a million times better than books-Peggy).

But yeah, I always sort of thought when Winter Soldier came out that the "agent next door keeping tabs on him" should have just been Mockingbird anyway, y'know? Young-but-promising S.H.I.E.L.D. agent nobody paid much attention to, Fury keeping as this off-the-books asset on the side as he believes in her potential, trusting her to monitor Steve for him.

And if you really felt the need to have Sharon in that movie, she really probably should have been the head of the S.H.I.E.L.D. black-ops team on the Lemurian Star (maybe you could have even introduced Sharon in a small role in the first Avengers). More of a traditional military background than, say, Natasha or Clint - she's risen through the ranks inspired by her aunt during WWII, eventually becoming part of S.H.I.E.L.D. and a major special ops figure. Could probably cast her a little older, 35-40 or so, make the Peggy niece thing make a little more sense with the ages.

Then midway through the movie you could do this whole cool split thing with the black ops S.H.I.E.L.D. team. Half the guys are loyal and half are Hydra (led by Rumlow). Maybe just prior to confronting Steve in the Triskelion elevator the Hydra guys turned on the loyal S.H.I.E.L.D guys, killing 'em and Sharon's the only one to get away, hooking up with the Cap/Widow/Falcon/Fury crew later on for the big showdown.

A little more convoluted, but it could have been done with a little tweaking. Want to stress that Van Camp's fine though, movie-Sharon sucking isn't really anything to do with her. And Hayley/Peggy being so strong and likable is also a big part of why Sharon comes off really bland in comparison. Whole lot of reasons here.
Personally, I think the untimely ending of SHIELD pretty much ruined Sharon in MCU, since in the comics her biggest accomplishments came from her association with SHIELD as one of their top agents. After TWS I think the writers don't know what they can do with her, since Peggy was still alive (until CW that is), and they gave a lot of the screen time that she should've had with Steve to Natasha instead. In a way, I wish they had never introduced Sharon Carter, instead of giving us her own solo poster with promise of things to come (Natasha suggesting to Steve to give Sharon a call), and then just forget about her existence.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #328
Aximili86
Side-Kick

Yeah. It's not that Emily sucks, but I do wish they'd either just left Sharon out entirely or cooked up an actual reason to introduce her. She just comes off as a random agent in TWS, could have been anyone, and then all the CW stuff just comes off really forced and unnecessary.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #329
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

Quote:
Yeah. It's not that Emily sucks, but I do wish they'd either just left Sharon out entirely or cooked up an actual reason to introduce her. She just comes off as a random agent in TWS, could have been anyone, and then all the CW stuff just comes off really forced and unnecessary.
In the comics, Sharon earned her Agent 13 code name, but in MCU this title holds no weight because she was just another agent who was only special because Peggy is her aunt. That's it.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #330
Voltron
Side-Kick

I think they should've introduced Agent 13 in The Avengers instead of Maria Hill and cast someone like Blake Lively in the role. Then her connection with Peggy, growing relationship with Cap, and real name could've been revealed/explored in TWS.

Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #331
scarlet-witch
Hands off.

Blake Lively, IMO is no better of an actress than Emily is. I still wish they'd introduce Sharon on Agents of SHIELD. She'd be interesting there.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #332
Voltron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet-witch View Post
Blake Lively, IMO is no better of an actress than Emily is. I still wish they'd introduce Sharon on Agents of SHIELD. She'd be interesting there.
But at least I can hear Blake speak clearly without using subtitles or rewinding. Emily would be great if she doesn't whisper-talk or spit her line out too fast at times.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 AM   #333
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

This nonsense continues I see.

Did Emily turn down a bunch of Hypesters for dates or something?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ In Memoriam: Steve Ditko and ANT-MAN AND THE WASP Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #334
Aximili86
Side-Kick

Ehh, personally I'm fine with Emily in the role. It's everything else about it that bugs me, conceptually, the writing, the works.

Fix all that, and Emily'd work just fine.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #335
Voltron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ehh, personally I'm fine with Emily in the role. It's everything else about it that bugs me, conceptually, the writing, the works.

Fix all that, and Emily'd work just fine.
We'll now never know.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #336
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I think they should've introduced Agent 13 in The Avengers instead of Maria Hill and cast someone like Blake Lively in the role. Then her connection with Peggy, growing relationship with Cap, and real name could've been revealed/explored in TWS.
I like your way of thinking, but I don't really care for Blake Lively. I would have preferred Rachel McAdams instead, but she ended up getting cast as one of the night nurses in Dr Strange. They really missed an opportunity hear, because she is a really good actress.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #337
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I thought she was fine in both movies.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #338
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I thought she was fine in both movies.
Same here. Never really understood why so many people dislike her in the role.

Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #339
KevTravels
Side-Kick

she's okay in the role. But she didn't have much to do at all. It was nice to see her go up against Bucky like SW and IM.

I never read the comics so I have no idea what role she plays in his life and I'm sure the general audiences are the same.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #340
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTravels View Post
she's okay in the role. But she didn't have much to do at all. It was nice to see her go up against Bucky like SW and IM.

I never read the comics so I have no idea what role she plays in his life and I'm sure the general audiences are the same.
In the comics, let's say, her role in his life doesn't end well on good terms. On his part particularly.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:52 AM   #341
Voltron
Side-Kick

Quote:

Sharon has been Cap's main woman/co-worker since 1966 on/off. Her role/dialogues in the comics were basically given/divided to MCU Sam/Peggy/BW. It's really a shame that she wasn't better written in the MCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I like your way of thinking, but I don't really care for Blake Lively. I would have preferred Rachel McAdams instead, but she ended up getting cast as one of the night nurses in Dr Strange. They really missed an opportunity hear, because she is a really good actress.
Funny, Rachel was first choice for Pepper Potts and I wish she didn't turn down the role, also it looks so obvious that RDJ is standing on a box next to Paltrow. I also wish first choice for BW Emily Blunt ended up playing the role because I know she would've done a superior job portrayal wise and physicality wise, we could've ended up with a Rolls Royce, but instead ended up with a bicycle.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:39 AM   #342
Aximili86
Side-Kick

Ugh, Lively. Seriously?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #343
Voltron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ugh, Lively. Seriously?
She's a decent actress and is athletic.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #344
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

She was pretty awful in Green Lantern.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #345
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
wasn't everyone? I don't even get why she was cast in that.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #346
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
wasn't everyone? I don't even get why she was cast in that.
Everyone else seemed disinterested, but she was outright bad. I felt she was by far the most painful performance in the film.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #347
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Hard to believe Camp is just 3 years younger than Scarlett.

With all being said, she can at least tell her grandkids she was in 2 MCU films and she got to enjoy the promotions for the recent Captain America film. Though I'm sure many were like "who is that?" I remember she was on Jimmy Kimmel with Cheadle, Downey Jr and Bettany. I believe it was because Scarlett was unavailable. And you can tell she enjoyed that ALOT.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 AM   #348
Voltron
Side-Kick

Quote:
I haven't seen Green Lantern, but I've seen her in The Shallows and The Age of Adeline and she was decent in both roles. Blake has proven herself to be a leading lady. Also she's athletic.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #349
ScarlettW
Side-Kick

Blake is a horrible actress with no charisma. Katheryn Winnick would have been a great Sharon.

ScarlettW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #350
Delwin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same here. Never really understood why so many people dislike her in the role.
Ditto. After another rewatch the only concern is a kiss - it would be better if they have just hinted (e.g. quick kiss in the cheek with "be careful" or sth similar) so the romance will be still "in the air".

On the other hand - I actually start to believe that while decent actresses are hired, the whole MCU has some problem with romantic subplots. I have just rewatched almost whole MCU (I just had a knee surgery ;-)) and as long time viewer of the romantic movies (Jane Austen and romcoms mostly ;-) - the offside of my wife watching MCU with me) I find them relatively weak. Actually the only really solid romantic plot is Cap and Peggy, with (surprise, surprise - I really like it) Bruce Banner and BW (Cap and Sharon is weaker however still acceptable). What's funny - WW has very good romantic plot: better than any in MCU...

Delwin is offline   Reply With Quote