The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 09-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #101
James
Built from Lego

Default Re: Cyberpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Which is exactly why the story is so strong in the Witcher series. The big decisions in the Witcher do have results that clearly change the character of Geralt based on them. Getting a story told with an actual character is a lot better when you have then insane person who does all the crazy crap isn't the one who has to end up saving the day. Also there is always restrictions. Even Saints Row had restrictions.

I have no problem with anyone playing what they like, I just have never been into the old school board game style of roleplaying. I even find Shepard to be irksome in his vagueness.
Right, I'm not disagreeing with your first point at all. You definitely get a more cohesive story with a defined character. All I'm saying is, regarding your second point, it doesn't have to be an insane person who saves the day -my second character in Skyrim, for example, was a stoic and traditional Norse fellow. Self imposed restrictions, if you like. I simply prefer having the option to make one or the other.

Though it certainly speaks to Witcher 3's insane level of bar-raising quality that despite entering it feeling a little 'trapped' by having to play Geralt, I still ended up thinking it puts every other game currently on the shelves to shame.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #102
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Right, I'm not disagreeing with your first point at all. You definitely get a more cohesive story with a defined character. All I'm saying is, regarding your second point, it doesn't have to be an insane person who saves the day -my second character in Skyrim, for example, was a stoic and traditional Norse fellow. Self imposed restrictions, if you like. I simply prefer having the option to make one or the other.

Though it certainly speaks to Witcher 3's insane level of bar-raising quality that despite entering it feeling a little 'trapped' by having to play Geralt, I still ended up thinking it puts every other game currently on the shelves to shame.
I get you. I am also one of those that places those self-imposed restriction in such games. It is all about preference really.

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite RPGs James?

- Baron Harkonnen (Star Wars Episode IV: The Fellowship of the Ring)
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #103
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
Which is exactly why the story is so strong in the Witcher series. The big decisions in the Witcher do have results that clearly change the character of Geralt based on them. Getting a story told with an actual character is a lot better when you have then insane person who does all the crazy crap isn't the one who has to end up saving the day. Also there is always restrictions. Even Saints Row had restrictions.

I have no problem with anyone playing what they like, I just have never been into the old school board game style of roleplaying. I even find Shepard to be irksome in his vagueness.
Fallout New Vegas' story was just as strong as the Witcher's and was focused on a player character. You can have it both ways. The reason why I bring up the lack of a system in Witcher is because it sets a precedent and expectations on what they may do with Cyberpunk which would be the wrong move for the license because it is a pen and paper license. Embracing the lore is great, but they need to embrace Cyberpunks role playing system if they really want to do the game justice.

They did right by the Sapkowski's novels and if they embrace every element of Cyberpunk in the same way, the game will be phenomenal. My concern is they have never made a game with an actual role playing system under the hood and we will wind up with The Witcher 3 with a Cyberpunk coat of paint which will be good, but it wouldn't be true to the licence.

Not to sound to sound like an RPG snob, if you have to impose your own restrictions on a game, you're not playing a good RPG which is where companies like Bethesda and Bioware really drop the ball.

Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #104
James
Built from Lego

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite RPGs James?
Off the top of my head Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, the Mass Effect trilogy. Most recently Witcher 3, which I've been having a blast with the last few months. I'm sure there's others. How about yourself, sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
Fallout New Vegas' story was just as strong as the Witcher's and was focused on a player character. You can have it both ways.
While I certainly agree you can potentially have it both ways, I disagree that New Vegas had a story as strong as The Witcher 3. Naturally it's subjective, but I feel like the depth of Witcher's characters far outdoes the supporting cast in New Vegas and that adds so much to the overall story.

Quote:
They did right by the Sapkowski's novels and if they embrace every element of Cyberpunk in the same way, the game will be phenomenal. My concern is they have never made a game with an actual role playing system under the hood and we will wind up with The Witcher 3 with a Cyberpunk coat of paint which will be good, but it wouldn't be true to the licence.
CDPR hadn't done a lot of things prior to Witcher 3, they're no strangers to breaking new ground, and doing it well. It's a fair concern though.

Quote:
Not to sound to sound like an RPG snob, if you have to impose your own restrictions on a game, you're not playing a good RPG which is where companies like Bethesda and Bioware really drop the ball.
How so? If I say my New Vegas character won't kill innocent people, or won't steal, those are self imposed restrictions. I think you'd agree New Vegas is a good RPG so I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #105
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Off the top of my head Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, the Mass Effect trilogy. Most recently Witcher 3, which I've been having a blast with the last few months. I'm sure there's others. How about yourself, sir?

While I certainly agree you can potentially have it both ways, I disagree that New Vegas had a story as strong as The Witcher 3. Naturally it's subjective, but I feel like the depth of Witcher's characters far outdoes the supporting cast in New Vegas and that adds so much to the overall story.

CDPR hadn't done a lot of things prior to Witcher 3, they're no strangers to breaking new ground, and doing it well. It's a fair concern though.

How so? If I say my New Vegas character won't kill innocent people, or won't steal, those are self imposed restrictions. I think you'd agree New Vegas is a good RPG so I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning.
In New Vegas, stealing and killing also hurt how you stand with other factions and and can actually cause you to fail quests. There is no need to impose those limitations there because there are actual consequences in game. It's almost impossible to fail a quest in Skyrim and your transgressions largely go unnoticed because the game was designed for you to be able see everything in one playthrough. That's just one example. I'm not saying these companies have always done this, but the more popular they get, the more dumbed down they become. Go from Daggerfall to Fallout 4 or Baulder's Gate to Mass Effect 3 and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

I'd say Aaron Boone, Caesar, Veronica Santiago, Chief Hanlon, Cass, Ulysses, Marcus, Arcade Gannon and the many other NPCs in New Vegas have just as much depth to them as the cast of the Witcher. The big difference is how their stories are told and how the information is delivered because The Witcher takes into consideration that you may not have read the novels or even played the first two games. In New Vegas, you actually have to take the time to get to know characters which makes the game slower and chattier than some folks may like, but it's worth it.

For the record, The Witcher 3 is a fantastic game. It is the best triple A release of this console generation. I don't want anyone to think I'm ****ting on it. As good as the game is, CDPR's style if RPG may not be the best fit for the Cyberpunk license. It'll be a day one purchase for me regardless

Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #106
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Fallout New Vegas' story was just as strong as the Witcher's and was focused on a player character. You can have it both ways. The reason why I bring up the lack of a system in Witcher is because it sets a precedent and expectations on what they may do with Cyberpunk which would be the wrong move for the license because it is a pen and paper license. Embracing the lore is great, but they need to embrace Cyberpunks role playing system if they really want to do the game justice.

I don't think New Vegas' story is anywhere near as strong. Same for all the Bethesda games. They lack the depth and character work imo.

I understand your point, but I don't think they need to honor anything here, as I feel like what people would expect is something more akin to the Witcher 3 then anything else. If they were to deliver a game with a system that was similar, I think audiences would be rather happy. But we all have different priorities and maybe they could make such a game great with a similar system to the board game.

- Baron Harkonnen (Star Wars Episode IV: The Fellowship of the Ring)

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 09-08-2016 at 10:43 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #107
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
I don't think New Vegas' story is anywhere near as strong. Same for all the Bethesda games. They lack the depth and character work imo.

I understand your point, but I don't think they need to honor anything here, as I feel like what people would expect is something more akin to the Witcher 3 then anything else. If they were to deliver a game with a system that was similar, I think audiences would be rather happy. But we all have different priorities and maybe they could make such a game great with a similar system to the board game.
The depth and character work is totally there. If we were talking about Bethesdas in house developed games, I would agree with you, but New Vegas is totally different. We're talking about one of the only video games that has ever discussed religion in a meaningful way and all of that was because of the character work between Daniel and Joshua Graham.

Back to Cyberpunk. It's going to be solid regardless. I know what I want out of the game and hopefully it will deliver. Have any of you guys played the table top game?

Old 09-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #108
zenith16
Side-Kick

CD Projekt apply for grants for tech to create a "huge living city" and "seamless multiplayer"

10 hours ago

The Witcher 3 developers CD Projekt are looking for funding to create some new technology, presumably to drive an upcoming game. There's been some...
Read more

source:PCGamesN

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #109
zenith16
Side-Kick

Cyberpunk 2077 likely out before 2019

6 hours ago

It's looking likely that CD Projekt's big sci-fi RPG, Cyberpunk 2077, will release some time in 2018, according to some information on the...
Read more

Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 AM   #110
socool
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Cyberpunk 2077 likely out before 2019

6 hours ago

It's looking likely that CD Projekt's big sci-fi RPG, Cyberpunk 2077, will release some time in 2018, according to some information on the...
Read more

"Likely"

I mean, I'm glad that CD Projekt puts all this time and effort into their games--really, i am!!--but god damn please announce things when you have some idea of when it's coming out. Announcing a game nearly 7 years before it's done seems like a bit much. I udnerstand release dates get pushed and **** happens but it sure sounds like CDP just didn't know when they were gonna finish this.

It better be worth the damn wait.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #111
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
"Likely"

I mean, I'm glad that CD Projekt puts all this time and effort into their games--really, i am!!--but god damn please announce things when you have some idea of when it's coming out. Announcing a game nearly 7 years before it's done seems like a bit much. I udnerstand release dates get pushed and **** happens but it sure sounds like CDP just didn't know when they were gonna finish this.

It better be worth the damn wait.
understandable. but I rather they do know when they are gonna launch and be sure they are ready. So delay won't happen due to bug's or issues . other wise to spare us the disappointment and hearing the complaint's from other gamers that get annoyed about hearing delays . the gaming industry is different from the movie industry and it doesn't mean doom when a delay happens.

How ever there have been those times where it has happened in similar ways . but some of it can be seen if they are showing how far they have gotten in development. But if the studio or publisher is just being sneeky you won't know sadly. but they 'll go out of business hopefully if they are that deceitful to their audience/ fans of the games they make .

Old 11-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #112
zenith16
Side-Kick

Cyberpunk 2077 may be an MMORPG in disguise

November 7, 2016 51 Comments

Sniffing out promising upcoming MMOs is getting more difficult now that developers and studios are avoiding that label like the plague. Instead, we’re looking for terms like “seamless multiplayer” and “shared open world” as indicators for the types of games that we enjoy.

One of these possible MMOs-in-disguise is Cyberpunk 2077, a sci-fi RPG that’s being developed by Witcher creator CD Projekt Red. The game has been in development at least since 2012 and is supposed to create a world that’s far larger than the already expansive Witcher 3. What’s of interest to us, specifically, are recent grant applications of the title that speak of “seamless multiplayer.”

According to descriptions of this feature, Cyberpunk 2077 will have “a complex technology for making unique multiplayer gameplay mechanics, including the ability to search for opponents, manage game session, replicate objects, and support different game modes along with a unique set of dedicated tools.”

It should be noted that CD Projekt Red has been very quiet on this title since 2013, making no updates to its development blog or Twitter account. Still, if you’re curious what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like, hit the jump for a couple of videos showing off the concept.Read more

source: Massivelyop.com/

Old 11-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #113
zenith16
Side-Kick

CD Projekt RED deny takeover attempt, are defending against "hypothetical scenarios"

17 hours ago
CD Projekt RED have commented on recent rumours about a hostile takeover attempt, denying that such an attempt is happening, and explaining the...
Read more

source:PCGN

Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #114
zenith16
Side-Kick

A Way To Break The Medieval Mindset

Posted Nov 20, 2016

Cyberpunk 2077 | News | 9 Comments

During the recently held Golden Joystick Awards CD Projekt RED executive Producer John Mamais that as much as the team loves the Witcher series, they're grateful to be working on Cyberpunk 2077 and consider it a breath of fresh air to move away from a medieval setting.Read more

source: MMORPG.com

Old 12-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #115
zenith16
Side-Kick

Polish government approves $7 million grant to CD Projekt for "seamless multiplayer" research

17 hours ago
Comments 1

Update December 19, 2016: The Polish government approved various proposals by Witcher developers CD Projekt RED for grants to help research new...Read more

source:
PCGN

Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 PM   #116
zenith16
Side-Kick

CD Projekt RED forums hacked, over 1.8 million user credentials stolen

11 hours ago

The Witcher 3 developers CD Projekt RED have had their forums hacked, with almost two-million users' details stolen.
For a break from this world,...Read more

source:PCGN

Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #117
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
If this is the case, Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be huge.

In an interview with Polish website Gazeta, CD Project Red Co-founder Michał Kicińsk talks about how he thinks their upcoming title Cyberpunk 2077 is coming along. Suffice it to say, he's very positive about their new title.
"I am convinced that Cyberpunk 2077 may be a much greater commercial success than The Witcher 3. The Futuristic world of Cyberpunk is closer to what we know from everyday life. It is also increasingly popular as evidenced of the phenomenon’s presence in a number of films, books, comics and games. You have to remember that fantasy, is a niche topic."
For those unaware, CD Projekt Red is the team behind The Witcher series and the commercial success of The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt. Kicińsk believes Cyberpunk 2077 can outdo The Witcher 3 because the first two games in the Witcher series were mostly popular in Central Europe due to The Witcher being a Polish IP in the form of books, tabletop games, and even a TV show. He believes a cyberpunk setting would be more approachable for a wider audience from the gate.

"I believe that in the case of “Cyberpunk” CD Projekt will be able to fight not only for the prestigious prizes and awards, but also for great commercial success. The combination of these two elements in the gaming industry is difficult but entirely possible, as the example of Rockstar today, and Blizzard before them."
The commercial success of Cyberpunk 2077 could probably thank the successes of The Witcher 3 as it put CD Projekt Red as a developer right up there next to series like The Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age.

IN THIS ARTICLE

Tags:
CD PROJEKT REDCYBERPUNK 2077

source: http://www.gamezone.com/

Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #118
zenith16
Side-Kick

Cyberpunk 2077 likely out by June 2019

12 hours ago

Update March 20, 2017: In December last year, CD Projekt Red were given sizeable funding from the Polish government to research new game...Read more

source:
PCGN

Old 03-21-2017, 02:26 AM   #119
zenith16
Side-Kick

"Our history has taken its toll", says CD Projekt Red co-founder on darkness in The Witcher

18 hours ago
comments 1

Marcin Iwiński, the co-founder of Witcher developers CD Projekt Red, has discussed the development of his studio and of the fantasy RPG series...Read more

source:
PCGN

Old 03-31-2017, 02:11 AM   #120
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
The studio has big plans ahead.

CD Projekt RED had its 2016 financial results conference this week, and while most of the focus was on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Gwent, a few tidbits about Cyberpunk 2077 managed to squeeze themselves in. It may not be much, but CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski talked for a little bit about the elusive Action-RPG, noting that Cyberpunk's development was at a stage that was "quite advanced."
Badowski added, "It's a new title for us, and it will accompany us for years, so it takes effort to prepare it properly."
The company reiterated that Cyberpunk 2077 is not close to release. CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński said, "The ambitions are very voracious, so we would like to devote a lot of attention to Cyber, a lot of effort, and quite some time. So we still need some time before the game is ready."
Kiciński added, "The work is ongoing, and it's very intense. So it's not a comfortable situation because we know what it's like, we watch the game, but we can't tell you anything."
As far as what to expect from the studio this year, Gwent is at the forefront of CD Projekt RED's 2017 plans. "This year belongs to Gwent," said Kiciński. Gwent will supposedly be releasing in full during the second half of 2017, with Open Beta launching on all platforms sometime this Spring.
It's also worth noting that CD Projekt RED is building a team for a second game that they plan to develop alongside Cyberpunk 2077. No official details were given on what this game is, but one investor inquired about the possibility of continuing The Witcher series.
Kiciński said:
"The Witcher was designed as a trilogy. Trilogy cannot have a fourth part, however we like that world very much. We have invested 15 years of our lives and loads of money into it and we will probably think about it at some point. But please consider us as rational people, we sometimes have weird ideas, but overall our thinking is very rational. We have full rights to The Witcher games. They are ours. We have invested enormous funds into promoting it, and it's a very strong brand. Answer your own question."
Kiciński wrapped up the matter by saying, "We have to be very careful with our words because what we tell you is also heard by the gamers. Obviously, plenty of you are gamers as well, but what we tell gamers is part of the marketing campaign, so we can't discuss certain things even though we know them already. We cannot reveal our full hand."
This by no means confirms that the mystery game is another Witcher title, but it does emphasize that making another one would be good for the studio.
Sources: [YouTube, PC Gamer, NeoGAF]

Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 AM   #121
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, it's not because they're an evil and soulless corporate entity.

Cyberpunk 2077 Teaser Trailer

• 4 years ago65,242 views

Last week CD Projekt RED, the developers of The Witcher series who are currently working on the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, filed an official trademark on the word "Cyberpunk." Like just about everything that so much as sneezes the wrong way these days, this caused a bit of confusion and concern amongst the general public. Today, the company stepped forward on Twitter to explain themselves, and say "chill, it's no big deal and here's why" albeit in a much more detailed and PR-friendly fashion.
Here's the tweet:
What you need to know is that it boils down to hard working developers simply trying to protect themselves and their work. Cyberpunk 2077 has cost CD Projekt RED thousands of company hours and much more in financing not to mention that it represents the future of the entire studio. As they point out in their post, "it's a self-defense measure only."
It's also worth mentioning that a "Trademark" and a "Copyright" or "Patent" are not the same things. CD Projekt RED trademarking the word "Cyberpunk" does not mean that someone else can't use the word in a title for their game or that they have a monopoly over the theme or genre. As they put it, "it does not give any exclusivity to set a game in a certain environment, or in a certain genre."
So there you have it. CD Projekt RED is not evil, they're just looking out for themselves, like anyone with a remote sense of rationality should do.
Source: [Twitter]

Old 04-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #122
zenith16
Side-Kick

source: GI

Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #123
Iceman
Infinity War!

Really looking forward to giving this company my money again lol. They have absolutely earned my trust.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #124
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Is it still a surprise if you know it's going to be a surprise?

Over four years and 10 million YouTube views later, Cyberpunk 2077's Teaser Trailer remains the only glimpse into CD Projekt RED's mysterious RPG that is said to be "really, really, really f**king badass." Given that there is three whole "really's" in that statement, it must be good, right?
As we continue to wait out the game's inevitable reveal, CD Projekt RED Joint CEO Marcin Kicinski stated during the studio's Q1 2017 financial results presentation that plans for Cyberpunk 2077's marketing campaign are complete and that its central element is "surprise."
He said:
The promotional campaign (for Cyberpunk 2077) is already planned. Its main element is the surprise, so I cannot even say when it will begin. Simply because it has to come as a surprise.
Obviously, the main question is when we can expect to see it, and while many were probably hoping for an E3 2017 presence, they may want to hold off on that excitement. CD Projekt RED has already stated that 2017 "belongs to Gwent" and given that the game has just hit Public Beta, it's more likely that we will see more of Gwent in LA this year.
Also, if "surprise" is key to the marketing element, it's not out of the question to presume that the announcement will come at a downtime when not many big AAA games are nabbing headlines. This could mean either a December/January window when the gaming calendar is wrapping up or just getting underway or perhaps during the middle of the summer, which is traditionally known as a dry season for game releases.
Regardless, it would appear as though our wait continues.
Source: [CD Projekt RED via NeoGAF]

Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #125
zenith16
Side-Kick

ugh I hope they get it back

>NEWSSomeone stole Cyberpunk 2077 information and is holding it for ransom, says CD Projekt Red Today at 11:53 am

CD Projekt Red, the developers behind the 'The Witcher' series and the folks working on the highly...Read more

Quote:
Coming up in the 'some people suck' department

CD Projekt Red, the developers behind the 'The Witcher' series and the folks working on the highly anticipated 'Cyberpunk 2077', have revealed that someone has stolen internal files from them that include early designs for Cyberpunk 2077.

The thief is holding the files for ransom and is threatening to release the information to the public if the developers do not comply. CD Projekt Red has contacted the authorities, but it appears as though they won't be paying up for the files.

According to CD Projekt Red, the stolen information are "old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision for the game." While the developers call the information 'old' they suggest that anyone who is looking forward to the game should avoid any unofficial information on the upcoming game.

If the information is no longer applicable to the current game, why should anyone interested in the game avoid it? If the developers moved forward with other concepts, these concepts shouldn't sway anyone's hype - as long as it's made clear that the information is old.

IN THIS ARTICLE

Tags:
CYBERPUNK