XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #27
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Default Re: The Official Mass Effect Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
quoting this for the new page, there was a graphical downgrade

Are the top images marketing vs the actual in game footage underneath? If so, that is bad. REALLY bad, like Aliens Colonial Marines level misleading. You'd think the ME3 debacle would've taught Bioware their lesson about promising things that they can't deliver.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #28
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

I thought those top images were from the "cgi" trailers. Ones that weren't in game. But maybe I am wrong.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #29
Iceman
Infinity War!

The Kotaku one seems positive. After all the negative things I read about ME3 before playing it I think I have different priorities to some of these guys.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #30
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Yeah, but right now Kotaku is definitely the outlier.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #31
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, but right now Kotaku is definitely the outlier.
How many review links were there within that Forbes article? I only saw 2 others but it might be a browser issue. Are you seeing a load more negatives elsewhere too? This would be a huge shame as this is my most anticipated game for a long time.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #32
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Giant Bomb's podcast is pretty bad and interviews the GameSpot critic reviewing the game and he isn't too favorable either. Plus as Screen Rant points out, the fact that EA is lifting the embargo for a triple-A title one day before its release indicates that EA has some concerns.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #33
Iceman
Infinity War!

Damn!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #34
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Are the top images marketing vs the actual in game footage underneath? If so, that is bad. REALLY bad, like Aliens Colonial Marines level misleading. You'd think the ME3 debacle would've taught Bioware their lesson about promising things that they can't deliver.
yeah they were from E3 and other trailers released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I thought those top images were from the "cgi" trailers. Ones that weren't in game. But maybe I am wrong.
the entire time they've been marketing the game if i'm not mistaken, they've been saying that footage was all in game, in engine.

Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
'you know what let this discussion go.'
Haha
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #35
X Knight
Hope

graphical downgrades from initial reveal to final release, while disappointing, are to be expected.

I'm more p****d at the downgrade in CC and the fact they waited until the last week to show it off. I've read some post a tweet from one dev who said the MEA CC was on par with the DAI CC. if that's true, then that is indeed a blatant lie.

Saying the MEA CC is on par with the DAI CC gives the reasonable expectation that it will at least be similar with similar features and options. But in reality, it's a step backwards with LESS options and features.

I can live and accept a graphical downgrade. but a limited CC severely hampers my enjoyment and ability to play the game how I want to.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #36
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

Well, I'm trying out the trial right now, I've never been one for robust character customization options but I toyed around with this one. I was fairly satisfied personally with how my character ended up looking.

eternalinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #37
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
graphical downgrades from initial reveal to final release, while disappointing, are to be expected.

I'm more p****d at the downgrade in CC and the fact they waited until the last week to show it off. I've read some post a tweet from one dev who said the MEA CC was on par with the DAI CC. if that's true, then that is indeed a blatant lie.

Saying the MEA CC is on par with the DAI CC gives the reasonable expectation that it will at least be similar with similar features and options. But in reality, it's a step backwards with LESS options and features.

I can live and accept a graphical downgrade. but a limited CC severely hampers my enjoyment and ability to play the game how I want to.
I'm not a big graphics guy, so I don't care that much. However, the principle of the whole thing bothers me. This isn't a minor downgrade. This is Colonial Marines level deception, in which Bioware swore up and down that promotional material was in-game and in-engine and in doing so seems to have marketed something that they had no intent on delivering.

This is becoming Bioware's M.O.. Remember all of Casey Hudson's big talk, literally up to hours before the release of ME3, about how no two endings will be the same and how the player's choice impacts the story more than the developers? Remember all the talk about how DA: I was as big as Skyrim and that the world was actually substantive and wasn't filled with repetitive, button mashing fetch quests?

There is sales talk and puffery in this field. I get that. It's marketing. But Bioware seems to have adopted the marketing strategy that it is okay to just outright lie to sell your game. And this isn't even Peter Molyneux-level. It's worse! Molyneux talks a big game very early on, but then backs down when he realizes that his grand ideas cannot be practically implemented. Bioware doubles down on their lies, right until the moment of release. Then when **** hits the fan, their staffers take to Twitter and their message boards and throw tantrums about how unappreciative their consumers are. Then when they get pushback on that they pull **** like closing down their forums.

I was going to preorder last night. That is why I Googled Andromeda (to figure out whether it was worth getting the deluxe edition) and came across these early reviews. I've decided not to do so. I will wait until full reviews land and if such reviews are anything but stellar, I will wait til Black Friday and buy this game for 10 bucks (if I even have desire to play it at that point). Fool me once with ME3, shame on Bioware. Fool me twice with DA:I, shame on me. But I sure as hell am not getting fooled for a third time.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #38
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
I'm not a big graphics guy, so I don't care that much. However, the principle of the whole thing bothers me. This isn't a minor downgrade. This is Colonial Marines level deception, in which Bioware swore up and down that promotional material was in-game and in-engine and in doing so seems to have marketed something that they had no intent on delivering.

This is becoming Bioware's M.O.. Remember all of Casey Hudson's big talk, literally up to hours before the release of ME3, about how no two endings will be the same and how the player's choice impacts the story more than the developers? Remember all the talk about how DA: I was as big as Skyrim and that the world was actually substantive and wasn't filled with repetitive, button mashing fetch quests?

There is sales talk and puffery in this field. I get that. It's marketing. But Bioware seems to have adopted the marketing strategy that it is okay to just outright lie to sell your game. And this isn't even Peter Molyneux-level. It's worse! Molyneux talks a big game very early on, but then backs down when he realizes that his grand ideas cannot be practically implemented. Bioware doubles down on their lies, right until the moment of release. Then when **** hits the fan, their staffers take to Twitter and their message boards and throw tantrums about how unappreciative their consumers are. Then when they get pushback on that they pull **** like closing down their forums.

I was going to preorder last night. That is why I Googled Andromeda (to figure out whether it was worth getting the deluxe edition) and came across these early reviews. I've decided not to do so. I will wait until full reviews land and if such reviews are anything but stellar, I will wait til Black Friday and buy this game for 10 bucks (if I even have desire to play it at that point). Fool me once with ME3, shame on Bioware. Fool me twice with DA:I, shame on me. But I sure as hell am not getting fooled for a third time.
yeah, I remember the ME3 ending debacle.

I haven't been following the ME games as closely as the DA games, but I was severely disappointed by both DA2 and DAI.

and with DAI, if I remember correctly, some of the early stuff they showed and promised ( like how an entire village could be destroyed based on your decisions to do something else ) were completely cut from the final release ( or at least severely watered down ). Early on they were going on about how your choices and decisions could make meaningful impact on the world. But, in the final release, it seems that really wasn't the case. And the original ending ( before Trespasser DLC ) was anti-climactic and weak.

indeed, after DAO ( which I loved and which was my 1st exposure to Bioware ), my faith and experience with Bioware games has been on a downward spiral.

I had cautious hopes for MEA. but this CC mess is dangerously close to an issue that could cause me to cancel my already paid off preorder mere days before release ( which actually happened with ME3 due to the endings ).

CC may not be a big deal for others here on the board. but it's a huge issue for me. in fact, it's one reason why I gravitate towards Bioware's games.

and I'm especially peeved when I see a dev blatantly lying about the CC being comparable to DAI CC. as you pointed out, it seems to be a troubling trend and pattern with this studio.

Last edited by X Knight; 03-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #39
DarthSkywalker

I have waited on buying Nier for this game... I might just buy Nier today. Best Buy can have it here by Sat.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #40
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
I have waited on buying Nier for this game... I might just buy Nier today. Best Buy can have it here by Sat.
I'm almost tempted to do the same, man.

and see, if I wanted to recreate the protag from Nier in MEA, it doesn't look like I'd be able to do that due to the serious lack of light/pale skinned options in CC. Looks like there are white hair options ( though not sure if it's pure white or the grey/silver white option they often give you ). but the skin tone system is so wonky and limiting, plus the fact they tie Dad Ryder's appearance to your preset, no matter how much you tweak that preset.

I've seen some people take female Preset #9 face, which is default darker skin and make it almost passable as lighter skin caucasian ( though still not light enough, imo ). However, I believe the Dad Ryder who's tied to Preset #9 is essentially black/darker skin tone with non-caucasian features. So, it wouldn't really match your character.......lol.

tying Dad Ryder to the presets instead of letting us customize him like we can with out twin in CC is one flaw of the system. Indeed, it could be the source ( or at least a source ) contributing to the more limited CC.

Last edited by X Knight; 03-16-2017 at 12:48 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #41
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I'm almost tempted to do the same, man.

and see, if I wanted to recreate the protag from Nier in MEA, it doesn't look like I'd be able to do that due to the serious lack of light/pale skinned options in CC. Looks like there are white hair options ( though not sure if it's pure white or the grey/silver white option they often give you ). but the skin tone system is so wonky and limiting, plus the fact they tie Dad Ryder's appearance to your preset, no matter how much you tweak that preset.

I've seen some people take female Preset #9 face, which is default darker skin and make it almost passable as lighter skin caucasian ( though still not light enough, imo ). However, I believe the Dad Ryder who's tied to Preset #9 is essentially black/darker skin tone with non-caucasian features. So, it wouldn't really match your character.......lol.

tying Dad Ryder to the presets instead of letting us customize him like we can with out twin in CC is one flaw of the system. Indeed, it could be the source ( or at least a source ) contributing to the more limited CC.
I just ordered it. If Mass Effect turns out strong, I will just have to get it down the road.

I dislike character creators. I feel like rarely are they done well enough where I can make something I truly like. And I am one of those guys who spends hours doing it in some games.

But if you are going to force them on people, make them good. Make it so I can do what I like.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #42
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
I just ordered it. If Mass Effect turns out strong, I will just have to get it down the road.

I dislike character creators. I feel like rarely are they done well enough where I can make something I truly like. And I am one of those guys who spends hours doing it in some games.

But if you are going to force them on people, make them good. Make it so I can do what I like.
hope you enjoy Nier!!

I'm still on the fence about ME.

but yeah, I agree about CC. either do it well, and at the very least include basic features, or don't bother to include it at all.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #43
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Are there any reviews out, yet? I thought there was an embargo until next week?

I haven't been able to try out the single player. Neither of the the quickstart options, for Male or Female Ryder, or the custom character options work. It just tells me thanks for trying the game out and gives me the option to buy it, taking me to the game page. Not sure what's up with that. Just doesn't let me try out single player at all.

I tried out the multiplayer tutorial. It felt solid. I'm a little disappointed that I can't really customize the looks of the multiplayer characters we play, unless there's unlockable stuff that allows us to change hair, face, etc. Though, I did notice that we can unlock other people with rare drops from unlocking stuff in the store. It looks like the looks are set in stone with all of them. Again, unless there's color schemes or armor pieces to unlock that I haven't gotten to yet. It's taking a little getting used to, how loose the shooting feels. It's a little weird getting used to not having a get-in-get-out of cover button, either. But, it felt good to me. Loose, but good.

I've noticed that social media is making fun of the game's animation and faces. Probably not the kind of buzz Boware was hoping for.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #44
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
Are there any reviews out, yet? I thought there was an embargo until next week?

I haven't been able to try out the single player. Neither of the the quickstart options, for Male or Female Ryder, or the custom character options work. It just tells me thanks for trying the game out and gives me the option to buy it, taking me to the game page. Not sure what's up with that. Just doesn't let me try out single player at all.

I tried out the multiplayer tutorial. It felt solid. I'm a little disappointed that I can't really customize the looks of the multiplayer characters we play, unless there's unlockable stuff that allows us to change hair, face, etc. Though, I did notice that we can unlock other people with rare drops from unlocking stuff in the store. It looks like the looks are set in stone with all of them. Again, unless there's color schemes or armor pieces to unlock that I haven't gotten to yet. It's taking a little getting used to, how loose the shooting feels. It's a little weird getting used to not having a get-in-get-out of cover button, either. But, it felt good to me. Loose, but good.

I've noticed that social media is making fun of the game's animation and faces. Probably not the kind of buzz Boware was hoping for.
heh. it knows CC is so disappointing that it won't even let you start the single player game.

but so far, there have been some early impressions but no full reviews yet.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #45
X Knight
Hope

also, don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but apparently you can't change the armor/weapons of your squadmates.

not that big a deal for me, but might be for some who like to min/max their party.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #46
DarthSkywalker

The armor thing has been like that for the last two Mass Effects. The weapon thing would be new.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #47
Marvolo
Side-Kick

I think Ill just buy Nioh and wait to get ME:A. Besides, Ive still got Horizon to get through.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #48
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
The armor thing has been like that for the last two Mass Effects. The weapon thing would be new.
I rarely go in and change my squadmates' equipment and gear, though I did do that in the DA games. but I spend most of my time on my character, so I'm not bothered about this. one less thing for me to manage......lol.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #49
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I think Ill just buy Nioh and wait to get ME:A. Besides, Ive still got Horizon to get through.
Can't recommend Nioh enough. It is rather fantastic imo.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #50
X Knight
Hope

possible spoilers, maybe, I guess.

but full breakdown of all skills and powers plus upgrade trees. might give you some ideas about what skills you want to take and what upgrades.